OOC Talk

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 9, 2015 11:47 pm
Let's use this thread for talk about the game: questions, comments, etc.
I'd like to go over some things about the game/system that I don't think was said, was said poorly, or possibly not understood.

XP is for more than character progression. Remember that XP can be used to reroll any roll. You can keep using XP to reroll that roll until you get the result you want.

But wait! That's not all! XP can give you other stuff! Character benefits! These are either short, medium, or long-term benefits.

You can spend 2 XP to gain a skill for a specific thing or a short time. Let's say you notice all the locks in a building are similar to those crafted by a locksmith from your hometown. Spending 2 XP, you say that in your youth, you visited that locksmith and learned the inner workings of these locks. Now you are trained in lockpicking for these locks in this building!

For something more in the medium-term of character benefits, these are usually story-based. Example: you find yourself climbing mountains. Spend 2 XP and say you've spend time climbing in similar regions OR spend 2 XP after spending some time climbing to say that you have picked up the feel for climbing there. Now you are trained in climbing in that area! (but not everywhere.)

Lastly, long-term benefits. For 3 XP, you can gain Familiarity, a Contact, a Home, a Title or Job, Wealth, or an Artifact.

Familarity: You gain a +1 bonus to rolls involving one kind of task (riding, crafting, persuading, etc.)

Contact: You gain a long-term NPC contact of importance - someone who will help you with information, equipment, shelter, or physical tasks. (You and I need to talk about the details of this one)

Home: You have a full-time residence. You pick the place - an apartment in a city, a cabin in the wilderness, etc. Multiple PCs can combine spent XP in order to have a shared home.

Title or Job: You are granted a position of importance or authority. Although it might come with responsibilities, it probably also comes with prestige and rewards. It might also simply be an honorarium. (Talk to me about this.)

Wealth: You've come into a considerable amount of wealth in some way. This could be a set amount or it could simply mean you no longer need to worry about minor costs. (Again, let's talk about this one.

Artifacts: You create an artifact of your choosing! (GM discretion)

Remember! Any of these benefits needs to be reasoned with a story with your character.
Also, a tip! Be descriptive. I might actually give a bonus depending on what's happening and how you describe your actions.

I'll have more tomorrow.
May 10, 2015 3:09 pm
Character Progression

In order to reach the next tier, you need to purchase each of the following 4 advancements which cost 4 XP each.

1. Increasing Capabilities: You gain 4 new points to add to your stat Pools. You can allocate the points among your Pools however you wish.

2. Moving Toward Perfection: You add 1 to your Might Edge, your Speed Edge, or your Intellect Edge (your choice).

3. Extra Effort: Your Effort score increases by 1.

4. Skills: You become trained in one skill of your choice, other than attacks or defense. A character trained in a skill treats the difficulty of a related task as one step lower than normal. The skill you choose for this benefit can be anything you wish, such as climbing, jumping, persuading, or sneaking. You can also choose to be knowledgeable in a certain area of lore, such as history or geology. You can even choose a skill based on your character’s special abilities. For example, if your character can make an Intellect roll to blast an enemy with mental force, you can become trained in using that ability, treating its difficulty as one step lower than normal. If you choose a skill that you are already trained in, you become specialized in that skill, reducing the difficulty of related tasks by two steps instead of one.

Alternate Options

If you'd rather, you can use 4 XP to purchase one of the following advancements to substitute for one of those listed above.

1. Reduce cost for wearing armor. This option lowers the Might cost by 1 and lowers the Speed reduction by 1.

2. Add 2 to your recovery rolls.

3. If you're a Glaive, select a new 􀀁fighting move. The fighting move must be from your tier or a lower tier.
If you're a Nano, select a new esotery. The esotery must be from your tier or a lower tier.
If you're a Jack, select a new trick of the trade. The trick must be from your tier or a lower tier.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.