Pre-Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 12, 2015 5:07 pm
Hey guys! Here's our pre-game thread. Post here with any questions about character creation, the world, or anything else. Thanks!
May 12, 2015 6:07 pm
Where does the game take place in the chronology? I'm considering playing a Pure Mortal and I'm trying to figure out good hooks for why he's clued in.
May 12, 2015 6:30 pm
The game takes place in the aftermath of Changes, but before Ghost Story. The Red Court hasn't had a major presence in DC, so the impact is felt less here than it is in other places -- but there are certainly reprecussions.
May 12, 2015 6:45 pm
Sounds good, I'll put up a High Concept/Trouble soon.
May 12, 2015 7:19 pm
Thanks!
May 12, 2015 10:21 pm
Hey there!

I've had the DFRPG books for years, but this is the first time I've built a character for it. I'm thinking of going with some kind of were-form, as the "feet in the water" says you can be a weak were-form, but does "weak" imply the type of creature (a, I dunno, were-beagle vs a werewolf) or is that imposed by the amount of points we're allowed to use?
May 12, 2015 11:43 pm
It's really a reflection of the options available to you. Being super strong, super tough, and super fast cost more than the points available, so playing a were form that incorporated those would not work.
May 13, 2015 12:25 am
So I'm thinking something along the lines of a contractor for the local mob scene, if such a thing works. Someone whose High Concept is something like "Cape Killer" someone who's a total normal but who's done his research on the weird side and handles those kinds of issues for either a bunch of mob bosses, renting his services out, or an individual mob boss who's on top of the current hierarchy.

Would something like that fit? His trouble would probably then be his Mob Ties, since that sort of thing would definitely make a life complicated.
May 13, 2015 5:12 pm
Deus is totally right - you'll still be a were-wolf, but one just coming into your own. It's my hope we see growth in power as the game goes on.

And Deus, that sounds solid -- there isn't much of an organized crime scene in DC, but I'd imagine there are plenty of ex-CIA hitmen and things like that in Dresden-DC. What do you think?
May 13, 2015 5:49 pm
Sure, maybe there's a similarly underfunded and underutilized CIA that deals with weird stuff? The kind of group that finds out about (previous to Changes) Red Court activity undermining their interests in South America, and sends these guys in to shoot a bunch of blood bags and drag the Reds out into the Sun.

I'll start putting together a first 3 aspects to go along with that, and then I assume we're doing aspects 4 and 5 as a group?
May 13, 2015 5:58 pm
I'm trying to think of an accompanying Trouble for that now.
May 14, 2015 2:29 pm
Bingo - just hoping the other players jump in soon!
May 15, 2015 3:27 pm
So I've got a character sheet in, with the first three aspects. I've got a trouble listed but it's tentative. Given he's got a background working as a spook, I figure the heavily redacted and hidden nature of most of his adult life is a potential source of regular conflict, even while living in ostensible retirement.
May 19, 2015 4:51 pm
Looks great, Deus! Looking forward to starting as soon as we get another player or two
May 20, 2015 3:14 pm
Hello everyone. I'm looking forward to this game, but just trying to get my head around how everything works here on Gamers Plane.

I suppose my next step is to create a character using the site tools?

Apart from reading what people have posted here, is there any way I can see other players' character sheets. I want to avoid unnecessary duplication.

Does dfrpg have the thing in Fate Core of tying the PCs' backstories to each other, or is the idea that we are a bunch of misfits who only know each other through the shop?
Last edited May 20, 2015 3:15 pm
May 20, 2015 3:22 pm
I've got mine in an editable pdf as well as here on the site, so I'll just go ahead and post the dropbox link so we're all on the same page.

There's no direct way to view other players' sheets, at least not that I'm aware of.

As to the last part, yeah, we come up with 3 aspects ourselves and then the last 2 (4 and 5) are part of a shared backstory.
May 20, 2015 3:23 pm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yu1ej1cfa8mbjvn/Jimmy%20Winehouse%20-%20Dresden.pdf?dl=0
May 20, 2015 3:51 pm
That's great, thanks Deus Malum! I need to get to work on reading Your Story, at least the chargen stuff. As I said to Manitou_Raven in a PM, I know Fate Core and am playing FAE, but I need to get up to speed on Dresden Files. I'm not at work this week, so shouldn't be a problem :-)
May 20, 2015 4:35 pm
So I'm now zooming through Your Story and wondering about the "City Creation" chapter. Are we going to go through this together, or are we going to put our characters into a GM-created DC?
May 20, 2015 5:32 pm
So having skimmed the character creation chapter I've got two separate character concepts, both answers to the question "Who would frequent a curio shop?"

1) A yoga practitioner true believer (maybe a recent immigrant, which might lead to his trouble)
2) A petulant teenage girl (who happens to be a White Court Virgin)

Any thoughts? Preferences? Clarifications?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.