AND AWAY WE GO!!!!

May 18, 2015 12:40 am
Aaaah, White Lake. For being located in the Beyond this little town has thrived and shown to be resilient in an otherwise hostile corner of the Ninth World. You'd have to travel for quite a while before you found another settlement that even came close to the level of community and civility that the residents here have been able to maintain. To most of the citizens White Lake has Hervan and Deil to thank for this. The attack some time ago that the two men were able to turn away solidified this respect and bond they have with the inhabitants here. White Lake was smaller then. In it's infancy slowly growing to the self sustaining community that proudly and defiantly exists where most upstart settlements are quickly eradicated may it be from roving raiding parties or the perceived randomness of the Iron Wind. Perhaps it's just coincidence, or maybe the will of some strange Numeneric Alien machine brain that seems to protect the Town where most others have fallen.

Cinos Fiu (sorry I can't figure out how you got the "comma" thingy above the "u"...my ignorance is strong.):
White Lake is your home. As you've stated, it has been since you were very young. Your friendship with Hervan is very important to him. You feel like he lets his guard down when you are together, and he's never said as much, but you are pretty sure you are the only one he lets this close. You were there for his wedding to Deil. The two men were meant for each other, you remember thinking. Then the Abhuman raid. They were magnificent. Very well deserved of the reverence they inspire in the citizens. Although things deteriorated between the two of them. As the years went on and Deil lost the use of his legs there was a strain that you, perhaps, were the only one that was allowed to see. Hervan mentioned to you many times on the banks of the Lake watching the Ferrix Turtles that it was more important that the people saw strength in their leadership than to show that everything may be falling apart. Your get togethers grew less frequent. Which is why on this night it came as a surprise that he sent for you. A knock on your door from one of the messengers Hervan trusts.

"Hervan would like to see you if you are available." He says...It's close to the middle of the night. What do you do?

Kelsii and Polaria:
As far as outsiders go you two have actually made a positive impression on most of the people. Your willingness to help them out of the dangerous situations has made it easier for them to accept your relative abstinence to the more mundane events. You get the sense most of the time that many are waiting for you to move on from here, but would perhaps not prefer you to leave. This is evident by your interactions with the people in the market section of the square. Thank you's from shop owners who may not have gotten the chance to do so since you both repelled that Grush raid a few weeks ago. The town guard are well suited to handle such things, but a few of those Abhumans did get through the lines and made it into the residential area. It was mostly easy for you but to the less talented in the town you saved a lot of lives. Today you were visited by a Brehm mounted member of what you recognized by her attire to be an Outrider. The scouts that are trained by Deil to constantly be on the look out for threats and dangers that White Lake would need to prepare for. Deil himself used to lead these already highly skilled and now highly trained Rangers before he lost the use of his legs. She introduced herself as Caila and presented an offer to join the ranks of the Town Guard. There would of course be a test before Deil himself before the final stamp of approval but you have the support of most of the Guards already and Deil takes that very seriously. She has given you the night to consider the proposal. You of course do not have to accept, but this is being presented to you as an honor for the service you have already provided to the Citizens.

There is a spot by the White Lake that lies just on the outskirts of the Town. Away from most of the hustle and bustle that you both like to go to (If that's ok). It's here that you are approached by a little girl who can't be older than 9 or 10 years old...

"Hi! I saw the Outrider talking you both earlier. Are you leaving us?" She makes a quick glance at Kelsii, seems slightly intimidated, tries not to show it, then looks at Polaria expectantly.
May 18, 2015 4:25 am
Polaria stands in an awkward pose, hunched, her arms wrapped around herself. She's gazing into the distance, with furtive glances to Kalsii and the girl.

"I don't know", she mutters to the girl. Then she quickly turns to Kalsii. "What do they want from us? What is this offer? Is that what being an Outrider would mean? Leaving?"

Agitated and anxious. Confused. Polaria is all that. But there is also a hint of smile on her lips, and touch of excitement in her voice.
Last edited May 18, 2015 4:34 am
May 18, 2015 5:04 am
For the second Kalsii moved her intense, scanning gaze on Polaria. Her eyes closed for a glimpse of the moment, and then intence stare moved right on girl's eyes.

Then her speech followed, cold, iron voice:
"We do not know yet, child. No one knows."
She continued to look on the girl, and her eyes travelled path from girl's hair to her feet, like they were scanning and looking for something.
"What would YOU like?" - her eyes expressed question mixed with guarded curiosity - she narrowed them and returned her gaze back - right into girl's eyes.
Quote:
[ooc - Kalsii have few different skills that could contribute to the roll so it is -1 or -2 difficulty]
Last edited May 18, 2015 6:38 am

Rolls

General Perception (Small detail analysis - small girl) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 18, 2015 3:25 pm
As the girl meets Kalsii's eyes the facade of bravery she was trying so hard to put up melts away. She brings her hands together and starts fidgeting with them nervously.

"I...We would prefer you stay" she says looking down at the ground to avert Kalsii's intense analytic gaze. "You probably don't know this, but you saved my Dad the day of the Grush attack..I mean, you saved a lot of people, but you also saved my Dad. He talks about it a lot. I guess I...we were just worried that you'd be leaving."

She turns and looks up at Polaria. "What offer? Did the Outrider make you an offer?"

Your Perception roll: You are looking at a girl who appears to be small for her age. Malnourished even. Her hands look calloused. Probably from having to work out of necessity. She is wearing what amounts to rags but they are not "raggedy". Her hair is brown and looks chopped by someone unskilled at cutting hair. It comes down to a little above her shoulders. Her face could be very pretty if she cleaned it up a bit. Clearly from the less fortunate area of the town. There are also straight scars that run down the length of the top of both feet. She is barefoot so that sticks out to you.
May 18, 2015 7:28 pm
Kalsii's eyes released the girl, she glanced around and said with much softer, even soothing voice:

"The fact that things you done in the past are being valued by someone might contribute to chance that you will do similar things again...."

She turned towards Polaria and added with same soft tone:

"I do not want to give my independence away though. I can't say that i am fond of my last experience of being part of guardian militia force. This place is soothing, and we are needed. But.... i want to do things i like, i need or i want to do. I want to deicide what to do and not to be the one who do things because someone ordered to do them. You understand me, my dear?"

She gracefully stretched her body and sent her gaze towards White Lake settlement.
Last edited May 18, 2015 7:35 pm
May 18, 2015 8:12 pm
It takes a while for Polaria to answer. She stares into the distance with a serious, contemplating look upon her face. Finally she nods.

"I understand", she says. "I am glad if they find me-- helpful. I would help them if they had a specific problem in mind. Something I could perhaps helps with. But joining them? It would not be a good decision."

Polaria turns towards the girl, lowering her knee to the ground softly like a sad song. She smiles lightly, like she didn't really dare to. "I am not leaving. Not now. But I cannot promise to stay always, either. There are good things here, but this is not my home. And humans are creatures of change, not of forever."

Polaria pauses for a while, thinking. "Now, what does it mean when the Outriders try to get you to join them?"
May 18, 2015 11:24 pm
"Hervan? I haven't spoken with him in weeks", Csinos mumbles as he stands in the doorway directly in front of the young messenger. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes he wonders what could possibly be happening at this time of night that would need his immediate attention. Then it hits him; "Something must have happened to Deil!" The thought shocks him awake and as he starts to gather a few belongings and quickly gets dressed.

"Messenger, let's go..."
May 19, 2015 2:55 am
szemely says:
"Messenger, let's go..."
Even though you know the way, you allow the Messenger, who's introduced himself as Jase, to lead you to the "Manor" where Hervan and Deil reside. It is in fact larger than the other homes in the city but it was never their intent to appear above the other citizens. Hervan has mentioned their living situation was more a product of the insistence of the people. A result of the gratitude they felt. With your mind racing as to the meaning of this late night summons it occurs to you that whenever Hervan would speak of the "gratitude" of White Lakes inhabitants there was a subtle irony accompanying his tone. Like perhaps he felt it wasn't deserved. Although it could be your mind playing tricks at this late hour visiting your friend for the first time in weeks....

After entering the front door you take the anti-grav lift the Aeon Priest of the local Clave installed for Deil up to the second floor where you enter the sitting room you remember well. It still looks the same except maybe not as used as it once was. There sitting in front of the Viewing window that faces North out toward the Jagged Wastes is Hervan, alone.

"Have a seat my friend. It has been too long." He says not breaking his gaze from the window. Every few seconds he takes a sip of his drink. Must be that concoction he loves so much that Raymey distills special for him. Another thank you from a citizen. He takes a deep breath then exhales. "Do you think me a Hero, Csinos? Sit down would you? I know it's been a long time but this place is as much your home as it is mine. Look, your favorite chair!" He motions playfully at the floating disk upholstered with a comfortable hide from some beast of the Plains of Kataru. He brings it closer to him with a wave of his hand utilizing his ability to control magnetic fields. He turns his head and looks at you. "Am I a Hero, Csinos?" He asks again. You see instantly that he is fighting back tears. He looks older than you remember. His posture is slumped and tired looking.

"Come and gaze out into the Beyond with me and let's talk like we once did. Then I will tell you why you are here."
May 19, 2015 10:11 am
"So we have same position on this... joining..." - Kalsii said calmly
"Good, i am calmer now, when i know that we share vision of our feature ...
Perhaps we should tell them... Tell what? How we tell them? Hmm..... "

She glanced on girl again.
"We could help though. We need to say that we will act independently or collaborate, and could help if we want and can, but we will not join anything, won't bear flags, won't swear and won't follow."
Last edited May 19, 2015 10:12 am
May 19, 2015 8:05 pm
Polaria continues to study the features of the girl, still kneeling in front of her. Almost absent-mindedly she speaks: "Yes. I would tell them that they can come if there is need. But I still don't understand this offer. What do they want? Us? Or something to be solved? It defines the whole question."
May 19, 2015 10:18 pm
Taking a position next to his friend, Csinos pauses for a moment as he takes in the view. After a few moments he breaks the silence, "Hervan, my friend, without the heroism that both you and Deil have shown over these many years, White Lake would not even exist. And through your leadership not only does White Like exists, but it stands as an example of what can be accomplished here in The Beyond. Not only are you a hero to me, but to the many other residents of White Lake as well."

Satisfied that he answered his friend's question, Csinos turns to Hervan, "Now, my dear friend, why have you summoned me?"
May 20, 2015 1:57 am
Csinos:
Hervan's eyes well up as you speak. He quickly composes himself and takes on the serious countenance you know from his public demeanor.

"You're right. Down to business. It seems we've been infiltrated by the Convergence. I don't know how and I don't know for how long. But they have a very specific goal, and I can't conduct the type of investigation that I want without rousing suspicion or causing a panic. I'm certain one of the Aeon Priests from the Clave is the Magistrix. From what I understand about the Convergence they usually operate in small numbers or just a single member. I have it on good authority that White Lake has inadvertently allowed a larger cell of these mad men to flourish here, however, and their intention is to observe the Iron Wind when it arrives here...... Yes, there is a rather large Iron Wind event that will be heading this way."

He takes a long gulp and finishes his drink. Slams it down on the table to the side of him and sighs deeply.

"I trust you. Probably the last person in this Town that I can trust. I know this is a lot to ask, but I need you expose this Magistrix and stop him. That, of course, will not stop the Iron Wind, but the Convergence cell is a cancer that needs to be eradicated. If they planned on observing the Iron Wind from inside the City walls, then they have a means to avoid being consumed by it. If we can get to them, and find out how they planned on surviving the storm then perhaps we can use it to save White Lake.......Will you help me?"

He turns to look at you and clenches his jaw a little. Makes eye contact for a second then looks back out the window.

Polaria and Kalsii:
The little girl regards Polaria's questions thoughtfully for a moment, then shrugs. "I'm not sure. I mostly stick to the farmlands with my Dad" Her eyes widen, "Oh, no! I should be getting home. My Dad worries a lot. I don't like to make him worry. It's so late!" With that she begins to walk hastily away. She stops herself and looks back at the both of you. "Even if you don't join the Guard or the Outriders, I'm glad you'll be staying for a little while longer anyway." She gives you both a sweet smile then continues on presumably towards her home.

As you watch her walk away and head down a side road out of sight your attentions are drawn to an individual limping slowly down the main road. You can't make out much about this figure but it looks to be injured in some way. The figure stops, tries to take another step then collapses in a heap. When it hits the ground you both feel a slight tremor beneath your feet. This seems strange but you soon look past it as the figure appears to be lying in a small crater that was created by his fall. Surely this roused people in the immediate vicinity.

(Csninos: You and Hervan are far enough away to not have felt this)
May 20, 2015 3:33 am
"Careful!" - Kalsii hisses loudly, move quickly 15 meters towards the man and the crater and stops, analysing the situation with her sharp eyes and mind. She recalls on her knowledge and intuition and scans for any details which are visible from her position.
Last edited May 20, 2015 3:35 am

Rolls

Analyzis - indetefying things + noticing small details (-2 diff perception roll?) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 20, 2015 6:14 am
As always, Polaria is quick to react and fast to move. She pulls out her razor ring and moves towards the figure in one swift motion, striding lightly on the soles of her feet, ready and skittish for anything suspicious.

If there are no surprises, she stops a foot away from the crater, trying to understand what happened. If it's within her reach from there, she reaches out towards the figure and attempts to lift whatever is blocking us from seeing it better, using her razor ring to do so.

I'm going to spend 1 level of effort from the Intellect pool to the observation roll, reducing its difficulty by 1 level. This reduces Polaria's Intelligence pool from 8 to 5.

Rolls

Examining the crater and the figure (one level of Effort to reduce the difficulty) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 20, 2015 3:33 pm
Kalsii and Polaria:

The ground begins to lightly pulse beneath your feet. An ashy gray colored hand comes up from the pile of brown robes extended with the palm facing you as if to tell you to stop. You hear a strained drawn out grungy metallic sounding exhalation speak ".. please stop..." the hand shakes then falls back to the ground. As this happens please both of you make Might defense rolls. This is a GM intrusion so you both will receive 1 xp as it effects the both of you at the same time. Your Examination and Analysis rolls will be resolved depending on the results.
May 20, 2015 4:09 pm
Kalsii does not move. Her mind tries to grab, absorb and understand all the pieces and bits of the situation .

Rolls

Might - GM intrusion - (1d20)

(17) = 17

May 20, 2015 6:00 pm
Polaria grimaces quietly, but she is not one to flinch easily.

I'll spend Effort here as well, with my Might Edge of 1, that's 2 points, dropping Polaria's Might pool from 12 to 10.

Rolls

Might Defense - GM Intrusion (1 level of Effort spent) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 20, 2015 9:54 pm
"Of course I will help you, my friend. Tell me, what is it that you need me to do?"
May 21, 2015 5:50 pm
Csinos:
Hervan turns to you. "I can’t tell you how much this means to me. You will need to go to the Aeon Priest Clave. The 3 priests there are Alon, Rone and Anieph. My source tells me one of them is a Magistrix of the Convergence. You need to find out which one and find out how he plans to protect himself from the Iron Wind when it arrives. Try to be discreet as Convergence Magisters are very clever I don’t know how he will react if he thinks we are on to him. The other bit of information we need is how many of our Town Guard and Outriders are Convergence. And lastly...probably the most important… When is the Iron Wind going to arrive." He takes another gulp and continues. "I don’t expect you to do this alone. It won’t be easy to figure out which one it is. There are two women who are here now who may be able to help...hopefully they agree. One of them is a very talented interrogator among other skills, and the other will prove more than useful if and when things go to shit. You’ll remember them from the Grush attack a few weeks back. They were able to stop 5 or 6 that had broken through from running amok in a residential section. Many lives were saved. I understand that they’ve been asked to join the Outriders which is most likely a Convergence scheme to remove them. Perhaps if you could get your hands on the one who offered it to them? They meet by the Lake every day away from the main road. Please find them and do what you think is best. At this time of night I’m not sure where they would be, unfortunately. My source does not know where they have taken up residence."

"If you are successful you can expect high honors in White Lake and perhaps a permanent place by my side defending this Town, if you would accept….You will also have my gratitude..for whatever that may be worth." Hervan leans back on his seat..with a final gulp he finishes his drink.

Kalsii and Polaria:
The tremors from this persons hand hitting the ground throw you off balance but you both are able maintain your stance deftly. You begin to notice people coming out of their homes and looking in your direction curious but cautious. As both of your focus is snapped to the crater you become aware as he struggles to slowly turn himself over, that this man’s skin looks like some dense ashy grey mineral like you’ve never seen before. As he is shifting and moving it melds back and forth from firmly solidified to maleable. You see this effect in his face especially as he is wincing and looks like he is trying to concentrate really hard on something. As he is moving around you can feel a gravitational tug on you physically that wants to pull you to him. Almost immediately it goes away visibly coinciding with him stopping and wincing some more.

After a moment his breathing slows, and he begins to try and stand up. His eyes slowly open as he deliberately goes through the motions of gathering himself to get to his feet. He stops when he makes it to one knee. You're taken aback as his eyes are pure white and even seem to be emitting white light. He looks around and with the same grungy metallic voice says: "....where am I?…"
May 21, 2015 7:36 pm
Kalsii continues to examine small details in order to get deeper in her undrstanding of the situation. She does not move, tries to stand steady to be ready to any gravity changes in order to avoid being pulled into the crater.
Last edited May 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Rolls

Percpetion (2 skills in action - Identify + Noticing Small Details - 2 diff ) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.