Feature Request: Ignore Thread

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 20, 2017 7:09 pm
Not sure if this has been requested or not or even how time-consuming it could be to implement.

The subscription ability is nice to be able to get alerts in my email for threads I'm specifically following.
The new post indicator and "Jump to last unread post" icon is great for getting back into the thread when new things happen.

What I would like is the ability to put a thread on "Ignore" so it doesn't trigger any new post icons or anything of that nature. This would be very helpful in keeping things clean/clear when there is a particular thread that I don't want to track. For example, in games where you have the group split for some reason but you don't want to hide the information from the other players, someone could set the thread that they aren't in to Ignored so they wouldn't see it light up when someone posted there. If they wanted to keep up on what that group was, they still could, and they could turn it off at any time.
Jul 20, 2017 7:29 pm
Oh, interesting idea. So being able to subscribe to a forum, but ignore certain threads therein. It should be doable; I'll need to restructure the way the subscriptions work right now though, so it won't be quick.
Jul 20, 2017 8:14 pm
Not even necessarily subscribing to the thread first, just a general ability to not have any alert or reminder that a thread has new posts. If it's easier to subscribe first then ignore it, I'd be good with that too.
Jul 20, 2017 8:31 pm
Well, you'd only get an alert if you're subscribed, but you mean to have a post not show up on Latest Posts? To not show new posts at all is actually a bit hard with my current algorithm, and unfortunately, I haven't been able to think of a better one.
Jul 20, 2017 8:41 pm
I think there's two different things here..1 is ignoring the email alerts from one thread or subforum within a subscribed forum. The other is preventing the little icon showing unread posts for a thread or forum that you've ignored.
Jul 20, 2017 8:46 pm
Yah, I'm trying to get a clear understanding of what Dramasailor's idea is. Not sending an email/not showing a thread in Latest Posts is easy enough. Not showing a New Posts icon is harder.
Jul 20, 2017 8:52 pm
Yeah, primarily it's not highlighting the new post indicator. Mainly this is a selfish thing because of how I go in to my games. Similar to how if there is a subforum in a game that you don't have permissions for, it doesn't show that a new post exists when someone posts there. I access everything just by going into the Forums page directly and check in on things when there are unread posts.

Not getting an e-mail is pretty easy, I just don't sign up for any subscriptions (too many games, ended up with just too many emails coming in).
Jul 20, 2017 8:56 pm
I'll work on bulk mailing at some point. That aside, I'll have to think of a new logic to hide new post indicators for a forum that has an ignored thread in it. I actually had a tough time coming up with an efficient system to indicate new posts in general; I'll do what I can to think of something for this.
Jul 21, 2017 2:41 am
Dramasailor says:
Yeah, primarily it's not highlighting the new post indicator. Mainly this is a selfish thing because of how I go in to my games. Similar to how if there is a subforum in a game that you don't have permissions for, it doesn't show that a new post exists when someone posts there. I access everything just by going into the Forums page directly and check in on things when there are unread posts.

Not getting an e-mail is pretty easy, I just don't sign up for any subscriptions (too many games, ended up with just too many emails coming in).
This is also how I use the site, though sometimes I will go directly to Latest Posts from the homepage. I don't use the subscription function because I never really check my mailbox. I've also found Unread Post icons on threads I don't really care about* a minor annoyance so this requested feature would be much welcomed, but no biggie if it doesn't materialize. I know Keleth has plenty on his plate and need to prioritize. :-)

*Examples of threads I don't really care about are: the aforementioned party splits, Introduction threads after I've welcomed the new member, Games Tavern threads about games I'm uninterested in.
Nov 7, 2018 5:57 pm
Bump!

I would like to add my vote to this feature. An email is my preferred method of being alerted to new threads and posts. I like to see what comes up in the Games Tavern, but if it's a game I don't play, I'd like to be able to unsubscribe from that individual thread.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.