How long it run a game?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 28, 2017 7:17 pm
Hey there all! I'm wondering if anyone has ran Princes of the Apocalypse in-person and how long it took to complete the campaign. I get very few chances to run in-person games, and I think one is coming up in a few months. I bought the PoA because it was the only published campaign that interested me, but I wonder if I'll be able to run it all the way through.
If you played/ran it, how long did it take you? If I wanted to streamline the campaign, what should I take out?
Thanks y'all!
Aug 29, 2017 2:59 pm
I've run it in my face-to-face game and had the final session this Sunday. Checking the facebook group for my local group, we had character creation September 12th last year, so basically a year with pretty much weekly sessions (had a few weeks off) at 4-5 hours. I have cut down on it somewhat as well near the end because we were getting ready for a change of campaign. That said, most of my group are long time friends since elementary school and it is our one social event most weeks (due to pesky kids and wives and such) so a lot of time is wasted to talking about old inside jokes and the latest geekeries.
Aug 29, 2017 6:29 pm
Thanks! It would be a dream come true if I could get our group together weekly. There's a 24 hr gaming charity coming up that I plan to run what looks like it'll be a long con-game and I wondered if I could cut PotA down for that.
Last edited August 29, 2017 6:30 pm
Aug 30, 2017 12:54 am
If you are interested in one offs the Tales of the Yawning Portal is quite good. I ran the Shrine of Tamoachan over four 4 hour sessions. It was a dungeon crawl and had a classic feel to it. Wouldn't want to play that way all the time but we had a lot of fun. I think the Dead in Thay looks real fun. Hoping to do that next as a one off.
Aug 30, 2017 8:18 pm
Thanks. I'll check that out.
Aug 31, 2017 12:03 pm
If you were to cut it down, I'd either focus on one cult, or just the bottom (bottom two) levels of each cult. The final battle alone took more than two hours of focused playing, and 5th edition is one of the fastest editions I've played when it comes to combat.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.