Outside of Boltic: Chapter 1

May 31, 2015 2:06 am
The full moon is just rising when you arrive. It seems that you are not the only one who has been summoned to this clearing between the town of Boltic and the true edge of the Darkwood where no one enters.
Jun 17, 2015 5:25 am
A beautiful raven-haired woman strides into the clearing and looks around. There is an otherworldly air about her as she crosses her arms beneath her breasts. She is wearing some type of armor that defies explanation. It appears to sit on her frame like armor should, but it moves and breathes with her like no normal armor ever could. The gauntlets bears wicked claws and the fingers are webbed as though they belong to some creature from the sea. Fins sprout at her elbows, shoulders and back; he thighs and calves as well. Her head is covered by a helm that is smooth coming to a rounded wedge in the frint and breaking into small soft scales in the back, her hair spilling out underneath. Over all she appears very sleek. She stands without speaking, one hip jutting to the side.
Jun 17, 2015 5:38 am
Stepping out from behind a tree, a small man with a sneer stares at the creature before him. Thick leather armor pads his shoulders and midsection while a holy book hangs off his belt, a small paper prayer waxed onto the armor to the left of his chest, and the red "I" of the inquistion emblazoned in the center. Tattoos encircle his arms and a unlit candle rides on his right shoulder. Abuckler is attached to his arm and a bow, along with a hefty pack, is slung behind his back. For as small as he is, his well worn face, dressed with a red glass eyepatch, shows he is not to be trifled with. He spits at the ground in front of her and utters a single word.

"Witch."

It's not a question more of statement of fact as he looks around for whoever may have summoned him here. He would very much rather it not be this hag before him or they would have serious problems. He looked around to see if, hoping, anyone else was there.
Last edited June 17, 2015 5:39 am
Jun 17, 2015 8:23 pm
Turning to the small man, Galena returns his sneer with a placid calm. When she speaks her tone is disaffected and unconcerned, "Not exactly, but I've known a few in my day. My mother for example. Or are you one of this zealots who labels all spellcasters thusly?"
Last edited June 17, 2015 8:26 pm
Jun 18, 2015 2:45 am
He continues to look around, hoping beyond hope that this conversation is not the reason he's here. "The arcane arts are all the same. My order hunts those that wield them. While it is known that some amount of . . . necessary evil exists in the world, I personally have never had to work alongside a hex-jockey." Bek spits again making it more then clear he isn't around to chit chat. "Are you the one who's got the job for me or not?"
Jun 18, 2015 3:14 am
A tall figure wearing a deeply hooded cloak coughs politely, Actually that would be me. And I was rather hoping for more of you to show up. Alas no plan truly survives once it is enacted. The voice that speaks to you is deep and resonate and obviously that of a male. Try as you might you are unable to glean more information about him. Perhaps you will come across other traveling companions as you go. The job I am offering is risky and death may be your only reward, though if you survive the prize will be beyond your imagining. This is the only chance I will allow to leave my service, once you sign the contract there are no ways out.
Jun 18, 2015 4:28 am
"I admit that your initial offer is intriguing, but I have to say some of these new terms are less than...acceptable. You say there is wealth to be gained, but offer no evidence. You threaten us with some kind of 'contract' that we must be bound to or face further peril. I'm going to need a little more to assuage my desire to survive. A name from you would be a start. More information about the treasures we seek and the danger ahead would also be appreciated."
Jun 18, 2015 4:58 am
"I am going to have to agree with this . . . thing here. Your offer is too vague to sell my soul yet. Death is not the reward I am looking for either. Gemstones would suffice though. Emeralds, rubies, diamonds the size a child's fist will more than make up for a suicide mission." Bek glances around him, calling attention to the lack of bodies present. "Also, if we are the only two you have coming to knock on your opportunity's door, I can tell already that we will have our work cut out for us." Bek keeps trying to discern what is underneath the hood trying to size the fella up. He keeps talking as he looks the figure up and down. "So what is the job? Tell me and if it is worth it, I may just will sign my life away."
Last edited June 18, 2015 4:59 am

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Jun 18, 2015 5:12 pm
The man laughs, "Your suspicions are not perhaps unfounded. The terms are such as they are only because of the job itself. Once you start the only way out is to complete the task at hand. I require you to find a long lost item for me. This item vanished when the city known as Graystone sank below the ground 800 years ago. They had a vast treasury, hence the reward beyond your imaginings. I'm asking for you to sign a contract that will keep your mouths shut about your task, I have no wish that my enemies discover what I am doing and move to thwart me. As for evidence..." He tosses each of you a large and as near you can tell in the dark a flawless gem stone they are both Star Sapphires. "Consider this your starting bonus. Bek, I have no desire for your soul, or for you to even lose your life in this task. I felt that it would be better to warn you of the risks rather than sending you in blind. The better prepared you are the more likely I am to get what I want. As for my name, I'm afraid that would cause to many risks to my person. You may call me... Bane if you'd like. Now, anymore than that about what I wish you to do does require a commitment to me from you."

Bek, you can tell that the man is telling the truth.
Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
"Graystone, you say...well that is a little more...down to earth...than just chasing some legend. I'm in. Assuming you have a map and what constitutes a "safe route" to the place? Dangerous I understand, I'm just looking for assurances you won't be telling us to walk up to a cliff and jump."
Jun 18, 2015 8:58 pm
Bek holds the stone up to the full moon and lets the light catch it just so. It shimmers like stars in the sky. "How about that? This will do. And if those coffers are as full as you say they are, then you may have yourself a deal." Bek pockets the stone in one of his belt pouches. "I too do not like going in blind. What more, if anything can you tell us or give us to prepare for this journey?"
Last edited June 18, 2015 9:10 pm
Jun 18, 2015 11:11 pm
"Excellent, if you'll sign this than I'll give you as much information as I have to give you. This shouldn't involve jumping off of a cliff unless the landscape has changed since this map was drawn." As he speaks he pulls out a rolled scroll from the depths of his cloak with a gloved hand.
Jun 19, 2015 7:02 pm
"Would you mind a cursory inspection of the contract? As I said I'm on board, but signing magical contracts, even one so simple as this seems to be would be foolish to rush into." Unless 'Bane' stops her she will cast the can trip Detect Magic.
OOC: Before I see results, basically what Galena expects to find would be some combination of Abjuration magic to bind the parties to the contract and possibly some Divination magic to "keep an eye" on all interested parties while the contract is in afffect. The only real red flags would be strong Enchantment or Necromancy, unless something in the contract stated that breaking the contract made one subject to those magics. If nothing like that jumps out at her, consider it signed. Even if the Spellcraft roll fails to identify the exact spells in place she will sign if the above conditions hold true.

Edit: Ooooofff course I roll a one. So consider that puppy signed no matter what it says or does! X-D
Last edited June 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Rolls

Spellcraft in conjunction with the Detect Magic Spell - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Jun 19, 2015 9:31 pm
He hands the scroll to Galena, "Of course I cherish the idea that you want to read what you're signing up for." The scroll reads as follows

Those who sign this contract will abide by the terms stated within.

First they will keep their silence about the object that they are seeking and the location of it.
Second any information that they feel they need to complete this task will be given to them by their employer within his ability to do so.
Third those who survive this venture will return to the clearing outside of the town of Boltic the first full moon after completing their task to turn over the object and receive the rest of any pay that they are due.
Fourth the employer will supply horses and tack for said horses as well as one pack mule.
Fifth a description of the object will be given in writing to those who go in search.

Employer:
Seekers:

Galena, you notice nothing out of place.
Jun 19, 2015 9:51 pm
"Everything seems in order." She delicately takes out a quill and signs, then offers it to Bek
Jun 20, 2015 12:46 am
Bek places a bit of ceremony on the signing. He utters the words of an orison and light begins to shine from the candle wick on his shoulder in the shape of a steady flame, giving off a warm orange glow. He is careful to read every word and understand the limitations before looking up and making eye contact, if it can be called that, with the hooded figure. "I would prefer a wartrained riding dog if possible but a horse will do if that is all you have." Regardless of the answer, Bek takes the quill and signs his name. He then takes a single arrow and pricks his finger allowing a single drop of blood to follow his signature. "Now it is official in the custom of my order." He hands the contract back to the seeker.
Jun 20, 2015 2:36 am
Bane signs with a flourish and a drop of blood, the second with a nod to Bek. "I suppose that a riding dog could be arranged if there is one to be had in town. Rooms have been booked for you at the wayhouse and the gate guards told to expect you. Perhaps in the morning we will find others who heeded the call but not perhaps the moon. I will give you the rest of the details in the morning after breakfast." With that said he turns and seems to melt into the darkness and the trees.
Jun 21, 2015 2:51 pm
Bek watches the figure until he's gone. Turns to the hag and says, "Like I said, necessary evils. I guess I'll see you at the wayhouse, witch." And with that he turns on his heel and slinks off, heading toward the wayhouse.
Last edited June 21, 2015 2:51 pm
Jun 21, 2015 10:42 pm
Galena let's Bek get a head start before setting out. She quickly out paces him though with her long strides as she passes him she gives a quick look backover her shoulder, smirjing at his slower speed.
Jun 23, 2015 1:10 am
You both arrive at the wayhouse though not together due to your difference in strides. When you arrive the comfortable common room is busy but not crowded as there are no trade caravans currently stopped in the town. The room is well lit and filled with friendly conversation and laughter. No one pauses when you enter but the bartender, a stout dwarf with a well trimmed beard, does look up as do a few serving maids as they weave in between the tables.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.