Character Concepts

Sep 19, 2017 1:49 pm
Discuss what you have for a character concept and an idea on which Branch you'll be turning in an application to join (Assault - I punch/shoot through problems, Occult - I think my way through it, Opertions - Yeah I'd prefer to manipulate my way around this). Everyone would start off at Novice with Stock AoO benefits (Free d4 in Notice/Shooting/Tradecraft/Fighting) and the Major Obligation - Oblivion (doesn't count to your char gen hindrances so you can still get 1 major and two minors.) Also let us know what kind of missions you're looking to be involved with. If you don't have the primary book (Savage Worlds Deluxe edition) you can grab the test drive rules for basic character creation and we can go from there.

* Figure out a character concept (what weird event got you involved with Oblivion as an organization as well.)
* Build a normal character and figure out branch you'll apply for (you can put in a request to change branches)
* We'll talk it over and I'll suggest things from the book you might be interested in taking possibly.
* We start a mission once we get a team together and you feel comfortable at least understanding who you're playing and how (mechanics).
Sep 19, 2017 1:59 pm
Here's an example of a character concept generated (hopefully I did it right).
Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm
I'm thinking Occult, myself. I hope we get some players!
Sep 19, 2017 8:06 pm
There's three now I can run with 1-5 after that it gets sticky if the players split up.
Sep 20, 2017 12:44 pm
I have to get home from work before I can give it a lot of thoughts. But I'm thinking a hacker of some kind via Operations.
Sep 21, 2017 11:16 am
I submitted a character. I hope it's right.
Sep 21, 2017 4:52 pm
Questions for Remnant:
1. Are you allowing Arcane Training?
2. If so, are there any powers off limits?
3. OK, Agents of Oblivion does away with Power Points, replacing with a simple roll. But many spells determine size and number of targets by how many points I choose to spend (Confusion, Blind, etc). Do you know how you will handle those abilities? If they will always only target one, they are garbage. If I can up-spend and target a group (which I can with Power Points), they become useful. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

EDIT: I submitted a character, but please let me know if you'd like me to change things.
Last edited September 21, 2017 5:09 pm
Sep 21, 2017 5:01 pm
I bought AoO on Drivethru and made a character for your approval. Hope i got it all right :)
Sep 21, 2017 6:12 pm
umbraldragon says:
I submitted a character. I hope it's right.
PM's sent with comments forgot put an (N) behind your native language.
Sep 21, 2017 6:13 pm
eugenemarshall says:
Questions for Remnant:
1. Are you allowing Arcane Training?
2. If so, are there any powers off limits?
3. OK, Agents of Oblivion does away with Power Points, replacing with a simple roll. But many spells determine size and number of targets by how many points I choose to spend (Confusion, Blind, etc). Do you know how you will handle those abilities? If they will always only target one, they are garbage. If I can up-spend and target a group (which I can with Power Points), they become useful. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

EDIT: I submitted a character, but please let me know if you'd like me to change things.
1) Yep two Mages and a Hacker it seems.
2) Not really, you can take a Seasoned or Veteran power it's just at a penalty to get off stock.
3) Yep no PPs. Dynamic costs vs stock cost usually add more something (Damage, duration, targets, whatnot). You can increase a power you have with the power mod edge that corresponded to that effect. Or a Focus I guess if you're in the Occult Branch. They are likely to always target one unless modded yes. I can understand why you wouldn't think they're useful.
4) Skills are a point over, need your charisma down from 0 to -1 due to Habit (m), do you wear glasses?, What power is the Relic (issued by Occult Branch?), and which language is your native tongue?
Sep 21, 2017 6:13 pm
SelectiveAmnesia says:
I bought AoO on Drivethru and made a character for your approval. Hope i got it all right :)
Could you pick your languages and mark which one's your native language, you have 2 points from hindrances to spend still also.
Sep 21, 2017 6:27 pm
Remnant says:

4) Skills are a point over, need your charisma down from 0 to -1 due to Habit (m), do you wear glasses?, What power is the Relic (issued by Occult Branch?), and which language is your native tongue?
Thanks for the info! I made the changes you suggested and a few others. One question: I don't see my Skills being over. Am I missing something?

Investigation, Knowledge(Mystical), and Channeling (Magic) are all d10. That's 4 skills points each, for 12.

Stealth is d4, that's 1 skill point for 13.

And I raised Fighting and Shooting from the free d4 I get to d6. That's 1 more each, for 15 total. Am I missing something? Thanks again.
Sep 21, 2017 7:01 pm
Remnant says:
SelectiveAmnesia says:
Could you pick your languages and mark which one's your native language, you have 2 points from hindrances to spend still also.
Fixed languages and increased Shooting to d6 and Repair to d8 with my points from Hindrances.
Sep 21, 2017 10:25 pm
Since we have two Occult and a Manipulation...I'll go Assault. I to find those character creation rules though.
Sep 22, 2017 2:19 pm
@ Kjsmith If you have a character concept and no books I'd check out the Test Drive rules from the PEG sight on savage worlds for character creation stuff. We can go from there for suggestions.

@ Everyone I know for SA he has a backstory on his character but for everyone what weird thing got you on Oblivions radar for recruitment vs wiping your memory or modifying what happened in your head so you can go back to normal life?
Sep 22, 2017 3:16 pm
OK I just added this to my character sheet but I'll post it here too. Lemme know if this is too weird.

Professor Archibald Prentiss:
"Archie was a professor of Renaissance European history at an elite liberal arts college in New England. One year, while on sabbatical doing research on a new trove of manuscripts, he came across an especially strange parchment stuffed inside of a centuries old magical tome. Reading the parchment was impossible at first, but he kept at it. One night, late, after getting very drunk, Archie glanced at the document laying on his desk and was shocked to see he could read it. It was a strange coded Latin. Upon reading the passage, which was some kind of invocation to something, his mind.... well, for lack of a better word, it cracked. He began seeing things everywhere, hearing things... DOING things. Prior to that moment, he had studied magic and the occult as a scholar. From then on, however, he became a secret practitioner of the occult arts."
Sep 22, 2017 5:31 pm
@ eugenemarshall Not too weird, it sounds like Prentiss may have cast his first 'spells' while drunk unknowingly of collateral damage and Oblivion found him as part of the cleanup and recruitment/training reduced future possible incidents. That work for you? Also where was the location when this happened?
Sep 22, 2017 5:42 pm
Remnant says:
@ eugenemarshall Not too weird, it sounds like Prentiss may have cast his first 'spells' while drunk unknowingly of collateral damage and Oblivion found him as part of the cleanup and recruitment/training reduced future possible incidents. That work for you? Also where was the location when this happened?
Oh yes, perfect. He was in his office in the library at a college. How about Amherst College, let's say, in Massachusetts.
Sep 22, 2017 6:29 pm
Works for me. Let me know when to look over your sheet, also curious what the relic is for and what it looks like (I'm a big fan of trappings in SW)

@ Everyone else: Any questions, requests, concerns?
Sep 22, 2017 6:31 pm
Remnant says:
Works for me. Let me know when to look over your sheet, also curious what the relic is for and what it looks like (I'm a big fan of trappings in SW)
It’s a rabbit’s foot on a chain! He wears it around his neck. (It is visible in my character portrait too). Otherwise I think the sheet is finished? Correct me if I made an error.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.