Stats - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (2113) = 7

4d6 : (3343) = 13

4d6 : (1451) = 11

4d6 : (2635) = 16

4d6 : (5411) = 11

4d6 : (2425) = 13

Oct 31, 2017 2:58 pm
Yikes. Maybe I’ll go with standard array?
Oct 31, 2017 3:03 pm
Rolling for stats

After dropping

12 - 16 - 13 - 11 - 15 - 15
Im keeping this one i think :P
Last edited October 31, 2017 3:11 pm

Rolls

4d6 : (4621) = 13

4d6 : (5516) = 17

4d6 : (1463) = 14

4d6 : (5332) = 13

4d6 : (6613) = 16

4d6 : (6361) = 16

Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm
Also my character idea was a goblin gunslinger (race is stillup for debate with GM :)
Oct 31, 2017 3:58 pm
Moofsalot says:
I've no issues with that if you're not happy with what you've rolled
Oct 31, 2017 4:13 pm
mcneils5 says:
Moofsalot says:
Good guy DM neil, will lets you be better after you are actually crap :P
Oct 31, 2017 4:35 pm
mcneils5 says:
Moofsalot says:
Thanks!

I may go wizard or cleric. Are there custom races in the campaign book?
Oct 31, 2017 4:40 pm
Rolling attributes!

Final: 12, 14, 12, 16, 14, 15

I am thinking of creating a Ranger. However, may I use the UA Revised Ranger rules?
Last edited October 31, 2017 4:43 pm

Rolls

Attributes! - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (4244) = 14

4d6 : (5632) = 16

4d6 : (2515) = 13

4d6 : (6614) = 17

4d6 : (1356) = 15

4d6 : (4615) = 16

Oct 31, 2017 4:46 pm
Moofsalot says:
mcneils5 says:
Moofsalot says:
Thanks!

There's a new Dragonborn subtype (Ravenites) but asides from that everything's as per the PHB stat wise (the races in the book just 'flavour' them for this setting). The races in the Campaign Guide are:

Dwarves - mountain, hill, duergar
Elves - wood, high, drow
Halflings - stout, lightfoot
Humans
Dragonborn - draconians, ravenites
Gnomes - rock, forest
Goliaths
Half-Elves
Half-orcs
Genesai
Teiflings
Oct 31, 2017 4:48 pm
For reference for those who don't have access to the book:

Ravenites
The Chroma Conclave's destruction of Draconia allowed the ravenites to break the bonds of abuse and slavery, allowing them to set out upon the path to self-deter- mination. Many ravenites now venture into the world with eyes filled with wonder, wishing to see all there is to see beyond the rock and chains that marked much of their existence. Few ravenites can resist jeering at their old oppressors when they meet, and the draconians must decide how they will respond: with grace and the spirit of reconciliation, or with resentment and bile?

Should your character be born from the toil and history of the Ravenite clans, make these adjustments in place of the base Dragonborn traits. Age, Alignment, and Size remain the same as base dragonborn:
• Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1 and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
• Damage Resistance. You have resistance to non-magical slashing damage.
• Speed. Your base walking speed is 35 feet.
Oct 31, 2017 4:56 pm
mcneils5 says:
Moofsalot says:
mcneils5 says:
Moofsalot says:
Thanks!

There's a new Dragonborn subtype (Ravenites) but asides from that everything's as per the PHB stat wise (the races in the book just 'flavour' them for this setting). The races in the Campaign Guide are:

Dwarves - mountain, hill, duergar
Elves - wood, high, drow
Halflings - stout, lightfoot
Humans
Dragonborn - draconians, ravenites
Gnomes - rock, forest
Goliaths
Half-Elves
Half-orcs
Genesai
Teiflings
So goblin is a no no??
Oct 31, 2017 5:04 pm
GaztheDm says:
Also my character idea was a goblin gunslinger (race is stillup for debate with GM :)
No issues with you playing a gobo, just need to work out how to fit that particular race in as they are generally just considered vermin in most parts of the setting. Whilst I like your idea about the connection with Victor it won't really work as he's over in Vasselheim which is over on another continent. The spirit of the idea is fine though that your gobo was kindof adopted by someone who was studying guns, maybe they had trained some gobo's up (your character included) to gather the components and mix the powder (given how dangerous this can be they needed a ready supply of gobbos!)
Oct 31, 2017 5:14 pm
Ooh, genasi? I don’t think that’s in the regular guide.
Oct 31, 2017 5:18 pm
Moofsalot says:
Ooh, genasi? I don’t think that’s in the regular guide.
Those and Goliaths are in the Elemental Evil Players Companion - link to the PDF here
Oct 31, 2017 5:45 pm
What continent are we starting on?

Rolling for stats.
Final stats. 12,8,10,18,11,10
I think I'll keep that. I know the rest suck but only one minus and I like having a minus on my characters. 2 would have been a different story. Now I just need to figure out what to play.
Last edited April 3, 2019 6:22 pm

Rolls

Stat roll - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (3451) = 13

4d6 : (4212) = 9

4d6 : (3341) = 11

4d6 : (6664) = 22

4d6 : (2326) = 13

4d6 : (1343) = 11

Oct 31, 2017 5:46 pm
mcneils5 says:
GaztheDm says:
No issues with you playing a gobo, just need to work out how to fit that particular race in as they are generally just considered vermin in most parts of the setting. Whilst I like your idea about the connection with Victor it won't really work as he's over in Vasselheim which is over on another continent. The spirit of the idea is fine though that your gobo was kindof adopted by someone who was studying guns, maybe they had trained some gobo's up (your character included) to gather the components and mix the powder (given how dangerous this can be they needed a ready supply of gobbos!)
What i could do is that my goblin was a victim of someone experimenting with gunpowder and guns, he fled with a prototype of the gun that was tested on him and went to the inventers fair in whitestone (the inventors stuff that percy talked about in last episode), he showed off the gun their to the guards and informed them of the horrible deeds he was put through, and they "reqruited"him in the white stone musketeers, because of his knowledge of the black powder and later guns...
Oct 31, 2017 5:49 pm
They're called The Whitestone Rifleman. Percy was a bit disappointed that Casandra vetoed The Musketeers
Last edited October 31, 2017 5:49 pm
Oct 31, 2017 5:49 pm
GaztheDm says:
mcneils5 says:
GaztheDm says:
Well depending on how far in the time it has been after the CR game, i could have been a young goblin eager to learn from an inventor, that went to the invertors fair that are being held in whitestone (like percy said in he last epiosde) and from there well say the guns, maybe made like a test one by himself and they took him into the musketeer squad, because he speaks goblin, might be usefull for negotiations and stuff?
Well the campaign guide is set roughly a year after the conclave so just about when they started their last arc on the podcast. My thinking was to start it in line with that timeline and go from there. Whilst Percy has been trying to keep a lid on firearms the genie has been out of that particular bottle for a while so it makes sense that others in the world will be studying them at this point but they would still be quite rare
Oct 31, 2017 5:57 pm
I updated my idea but that also takes place after the arc.... hmmmmm well i am up for anything, if you think that having another gunslinger might take to much time/weird things in the story, i am also willing to play a bloodhunter (matts classes are just really cool) :P
Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm
I've been thinking I'll be starting things off in Stilben for those more familiar with the setting.

For those not here's the blurb:

Small City • Population: 9,015 (70% Human, 10% Elf, 10% Halfling, 5% Half-elf, 5% Other)
Stilben stinks to high heaven. Also known as the "Rotted Lot" by the countless sailors and merchants who pass through it, Stilben is the largest port city on this coast of Tal'Dorei, and is the focal point of all imports and exports to the East. The city is nestled in the sticky depths of the K'Tawl Swamp, and the lingering stink of marsh water and sulfur mingles with the humidity and the ever-present buzz of insects to produce an air of misery around Stilben's outer districts. Pushed out of the cozy heart of Stilben, the city's poor and disenfranchised citizens—disparagingly nicknamed "muckdwellers"—struggle to eke out a living in the K'Tawl's murky waters. Central Stilben houses most of the city's businesses, residences, and attractions. As a fairly sizable trade hub, those living in the heart of the city like to present a clean, "civilized" view of their city. The cross-continental Silvercut Roadway leads from Stilben all the way to Emon, and its robust trade of rare goods, textiles, and spices has given rise to a formidable merchant ruling class. Though Margrave Wendle Truss is Stilben's ruler in name, it is the guilds that hold true power. Their vast wealth and sizable "protection" force has forced the bombastic-yet-ineffectual Margrave to acquiesce to the will of guilds in order to maintain peace, as well as to preserve own station, within the city. Order is kept by the the Waterwatch, Stilben's official constabulary, but corruption is becoming more and more common within their ranks. The Clasp has learned that a flash of coin forgives many faults, and the famous ring of criminals has been allowed to flourish within Stilben for decades, sometimes working with the guilds to protect mutual interests, such as smuggling contraband goods and narcotics along the Silvercut Roadway. The Clasp's foreign rivals, the Myriad, have recently established a lair within Stilben as well, and are undercutting the Clasp's operations. The Myriad is less scrupulous than the Clasp, and has introduced a growing slave trade between eastern Tal'Dorei and Wildemount.

The place has a nice multi-cultural vibe to it and has plenty of trouble hinted at just below the surface.
Oct 31, 2017 6:13 pm
GaztheDm says:
I updated my idea but that also takes place after the arc.... hmmmmm well i am up for anything, if you think that having another gunslinger might take to much time/weird things in the story, i am also willing to play a bloodhunter (matts classes are just really cool) :P
I'm fine with Gunslinger, Percy has been running around with firearms for long enough now that other scholarly types would have been able to at least figure out the principles of how his guns work and also the fact that black powder seems to be fairly common in some areas means that he's not going to be able to stop the march of progress (plus he's got bigger things on his plate at the moment in the setting).

The only thing I wanted to get straight was how a goblin became one and how they also didn't instantly become a target as soon as they step foot anywhere 'civilised' - I was thinking to make it so there are a small group of goblins operate out of Stilben and are largly tolerated and are slowly being accepted as a part of society round these parts. Would give me a reason that your guy could be walking about in the city and not slaughtered out of hand by anyone who takes a disliking to them
Oct 31, 2017 6:46 pm
mcneils5 says:
GaztheDm says:
I'm fine with Gunslinger, Percy has been running around with firearms for long enough now that other scholarly types would have been able to at least figure out the principles of how his guns work and also the fact that black powder seems to be fairly common in some areas means that he's not going to be able to stop the march of progress (plus he's got bigger things on his plate at the moment in the setting).

The only thing I wanted to get straight was how a goblin became one and how they also didn't instantly become a target as soon as they step foot anywhere 'civilised' - I was thinking to make it so there are a small group of goblins operate out of Stilben and are largly tolerated and are slowly being accepted as a part of society round these parts. Would give me a reason that your guy could be walking about in the city and not slaughtered out of hand by anyone who takes a disliking to them
Sounds good, local stilben goblin kind who cam in after the terrors of the conclave wrecked their home and natural living area's and when the whole world goes to shit, weird aliances are made :)
Oct 31, 2017 7:40 pm
I'd like to roll up a ranger. May I use the UA Revised Ranger rules instead of the PHB?
Oct 31, 2017 7:50 pm
CancerMan says:
I'd like to roll up a ranger. May I use the UA Revised Ranger rules instead of the PHB?
Yeah that's fine
Oct 31, 2017 8:58 pm
OK i have the a suggestion for the goblin population in stilben.

How about this.

During the Conclave attack, magic users tried to apease the dragon rulers by experimenting on local wildlife/populations to create interesting gifts for the dragons, or secretly oppose them and finding ways to combat the dragons.

After the conclave was defeated a goblin tribe was released however they were not the normal vermin anymore, they were different, docile somethimes started random daydreaming standing still just looking at the sku.

Even through they were weird, goblins know how to survive and well form functioning socityies, so they were allowed to stay in Stilben becoming part of the socity there but still under watch, some goblins showed effects of magicl abilities, wild sometimes weird but not extremly dangerouse.

One of the goblins is the one i will be playing, he was experimented on with black poweder and other chemical agents, however he stole a weapon from his captives, he doenst know how to use it, or what is its funtion, but it damm well wont stop him from finding out and helping the goblin tribe sucseed
Oct 31, 2017 9:03 pm
GaztheDm says:
OK i have the a suggestion for the goblin population in stilben.

How about this.

During the Conclave attack, magic users tried to apease the dragon rulers by experimenting on local wildlife/populations to create interesting gifts for the dragons, or secretly oppose them and finding ways to combat the dragons.

After the conclave was defeated a goblin tribe was released however they were not the normal vermin anymore, they were different, docile somethimes started random daydreaming standing still just looking at the sku.

Even through they were weird, goblins know how to survive and well form functioning socityies, so they were allowed to stay in Stilben becoming part of the socity there but still under watch, some goblins showed effects of magicl abilities, wild sometimes weird but not extremly dangerouse.

One of the goblins is the one i will be playing, he was experimented on with black poweder and other chemical agents, however he stole a weapon from his captives, he doenst know how to use it, or what is its funtion, but it damm well wont stop him from finding out and helping the goblin tribe sucseed
That's great! Don't have to have it all fully fleshed out right now. If you want to add some more meat to it later or even leverage the background for assistance or contacts as we go that's fine by me.
Nov 1, 2017 12:25 am
Char gen: Druid
I would also like to waive the "no metal armor" portion of this beautiful concoction. Is that alright?

Rolls

Char gen - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (1533) = 12

4d6 : (5331) = 12

4d6 : (1266) = 15

4d6 : (2664) = 18

4d6 : (2441) = 11

4d6 : (1151) = 8

Nov 1, 2017 12:46 am
Can I be an Air Genasi from Zephrah? It says only halfelf, human, halfling amd tiefling live there but I was thinking of being a new genasi that just entered the rift to Tal'dorei. I maybe spent a few years learning with the Air Ashari about this world.
DM_Apexwolf sent a note to mcneils5
Nov 1, 2017 2:07 am
You know what? I'm gonna keep it simple and go Rogue instead and maybe go Arcane Trickster or multiclass Wizard down the line.
Last edited November 1, 2017 2:25 am
Nov 1, 2017 3:03 am
I've submitted my Elven Rogue.
Nov 1, 2017 7:04 am
jkl123 says:
I would also like to waive the "no metal armor" portion of this beautiful concoction. Is that alright?
Afraid I'm going to have to say no as I really don't want to start messing with class balance by changing things like that.
DM_Apexwolf says:
Can I be an Air Genasi from Zephrah? It says only halfelf, human, halfling amd tiefling live there but I was thinking of being a new genasi that just entered the rift to Tal'dorei. I maybe spent a few years learning with the Air Ashari about this world.
Yeah that's fine, the Genesai section says the following:

While such people are rare within Tal'Dorei, they are most common among the Ashari due to their elemental destiny

I think the assumption is that as they can be born from any parents who are 'plane touched' in this setting so they aren't listed as a separate race in the settlement info.

mcneils5 sent a note to DM_Apexwolf
Nov 1, 2017 11:20 am
mcneils5 says:
jkl123 says:
Afraid I'm going to have to say no as I really don't want to start messing with class balance by changing things like that.
[...]
Noted. Thank you. How about your experience with Tides of Chaos from the Wild Magic Sorcerer?
Nov 1, 2017 12:48 pm
question for my starting equipment, can i replace the longbow for a short bow (since im a small character) since it wouldnt make sence for a small char to have a longbow
Nov 1, 2017 1:09 pm
jkl123 says:
How about your experience with Tides of Chaos from the Wild Magic Sorcerer?
In what respect?
GaztheDm says:
question for my starting equipment, can i replace the longbow for a short bow (since im a small character) since it wouldnt make sence for a small char to have a longbow
Yeah that's fine
Nov 1, 2017 2:13 pm
My apologies. I meant to ask how was your experience with the feature, not about. The feature (and the subclass, to a point) relies heavily on fiat and I am considering trying it out.
Nov 1, 2017 2:18 pm
GOing with the outlander background, fits with the theme of a wilderness thing.
So YipYap of clan YopYop, brother of YipYip the second, is about to be made :)
Nov 1, 2017 2:38 pm
jkl123 says:
My apologies. I meant to ask how was your experience with the feature, not about. The feature (and the subclass, to a point) relies heavily on fiat and I am considering trying it out.
Erm, I've not had a massive amount of experience with it to be honest....I can't see too many issues with it but once you've used the feature it's really your call as to whether you want to risk casting anymore spells or not. Basically I see it as the price you pay for using that ability.
Nov 1, 2017 4:29 pm
So what do we have so far? Has anyone finalized their characters?
Nov 1, 2017 4:32 pm
We've got a Forest Gnome Ranger and a High Elf Rogue submitted and approved and there's a Goblin Fighter in the works I believe.
Nov 1, 2017 4:36 pm
mcneils5 says:
jkl123 says:
Erm, I've not had a massive amount of experience with it to be honest....I can't see too many issues with it but once you've used the feature it's really your call as to whether you want to risk casting anymore spells or not. Basically I see it as the price you pay for using that ability.
Tides of Chaos should only be used in friendly games. If a group is much too serious the randomness of it can screw with story and battles. Since this is most likely a friendly game I say use it. It is hilarious what happens sometimes.
Nov 1, 2017 5:42 pm
haha random magic effects :) sure im down
Nov 1, 2017 7:05 pm
DM_Apexwolf says:
mcneils5 says:
jkl123 says:
Tides of Chaos should only be used in friendly games. If a group is much too serious the randomness of it can screw with story and battles. Since this is most likely a friendly game I say use it. It is hilarious what happens sometimes.
To be honest I'll probably be using my gm veto against anything on there that will result in a TPK (I'm looking at you Fireball!) or that will really screw over a 1st level party....at least to start with ;-)
Nov 2, 2017 5:33 am
Alright, I think I'll change direction a lot for my character. Maybe a gnome wizard from Whitestone. I still have been able to play the wizard I always wanted to play.
Nov 2, 2017 11:12 pm
Sumbitted YipYap, will write his backstory in the weekend :)
Nov 2, 2017 11:32 pm
Submitted my Halfling Sorc. I tacked in some questions here and there but we'll prolly cross that bridge when we get there.
Nov 3, 2017 1:35 pm
So this is what we’ve got so far:

Gaz- YipYap, Goblin Fighter
Moof- Xanaphia, High Elf Rogue
Cancerman- Esperaillea, Forest Gnome Ranger
DM-Apex- Leolannan, Rock Gnome Wizard
JK- "Bobby", Halfling Sorceror
Valcos- Bronze, Tabaxi Monk

Basically, we’re a diverse group of mostly short folks. ;)
Last edited November 5, 2017 10:14 pm
Nov 3, 2017 3:30 pm
If Valcos also goes short, we can have a "Madeline" procession in two straight lines.
Nov 3, 2017 10:07 pm
Alright I think I'm good. Would Lore Master be an acceptable UA for the wizard?
I liked to inrtoduce Gnome
Wizard
Last edited November 3, 2017 10:25 pm
Nov 3, 2017 10:24 pm
DM_Apexwolf says:
Alright I think I'm good. Would Lore Master be an acceptable UA for the wizard?
I liked to inrtoduce Panabar Rockgrin
That's no problem at all. Looks like we're nearly good to go, will leave it a day or two for Valco's to sort their character and then we'll make a start :)
Nov 3, 2017 11:17 pm
yeah will wrtie my total backstory and char intro on saturday
Nov 4, 2017 3:11 pm
Hey! Sorry, rolling up my character now. Was about to use real dice then realized it's too much work to verify my rolls. Rolling here lol.

Edit: lol that starting gold. 1 1 1 1 1!
Last edited November 5, 2017 7:56 pm

Rolls

Ability Scores - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (4631) = 14

4d6 : (5432) = 14

4d6 : (5511) = 12

4d6 : (1231) = 7

4d6 : (5633) = 17

4d6 : (3452) = 14

Tabaxi Obsession & Quirk - (1d8, 1d10)

1d8 : (4) = 4

1d10 : (9) = 9

Sage Researcher - Personality Trait, Ideal, Bond, Flaw - (1d8, 1d6, 1d6, 1d6)

1d8 : (3) = 3

1d6 : (1) = 1

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (4) = 4

Trinket - (1d100)

(75) = 75

Starting Wealth - Monk - (5d4)

(11111) = 5

Nov 4, 2017 3:15 pm
As I've said before mate if you aren't happy with your rolls you can use the standard array method instead
Nov 4, 2017 3:41 pm
Yeah, gonna take the standard here. I want to play a Tabaxi Monk, if that's okay?

Edit:

Okay, submitted my character. When I have access to a computer, I'll fill out the backstory and other details. Let me know if there is any issues.
Last edited November 4, 2017 9:57 pm
Nov 4, 2017 10:31 pm
Valcos says:
Yeah, gonna take the standard here. I want to play a Tabaxi Monk, if that's okay?

Edit:

Okay, submitted my character. When I have access to a computer, I'll fill out the backstory and other details. Let me know if there is any issues.
Yeah all looks good. Only thing I'd say with a Tabaxi is there needs to be a reason why they're here as they aren't common around Stilben (Tabaxi seem to be local to The Rifenmist Peninsula) but I'll leave that to you.

Now we have a full roster I'll look to get things kicked off early next week. I would look to do it sooner but I've got a couple of job interviews on Monday so I kindof need to focus on prep for them tomorrow.
Nov 4, 2017 11:08 pm
Good luck on the interviews!
Nov 5, 2017 5:17 am
Good luck, eh!
Nov 5, 2017 2:45 pm
ok here is the story of YipYap

The story of YipYap

The story YipYap is one of terror, madness, Pain and well most of it was caused by YipYap

YipYap is the smaller brother of YipYip the second, and son if YipYip Leader of Clan YipYip.
Clan YipYip was living near stillben, just enjoying life, raiding, hunting and well just doing gobo things, however the Conclave attack made people nervous,trying to please the dragons they wanted to bring more exotic gifts, the more exotic the better.
SO a couple of mages trapped clan YipYip used their magics to subdeu them and well they started to experiment on them
YipYap saw his brother disapear as a crazed mage used some sort of weird spell, The mage in charge of YipYap didnt use magic to experiment but used chemicals.
The mage used different kinds of chemicals, causing burn wounds, YipYap felt that the chemicals he was forced to swallow change his mind, sometimes enhancing the pain sometimes numbing it.
The mage, who actially used magic to heal YipYap used tools to cut out pieces of flesh and implant chemicals and weird powders underneath his skin, healing it on to of it and then seeing the effect.

These practices have been going on for a couple of weeks, YipYap has changed of the periode, his skin color changed, chemical burns are on his face, Hair color changed but most of all his mind is what changed the most, He now doesnt mind being experimented on.
He looks forward to it, nog because he likes it but because he is facinated about it. He try's to learn more and more of what the mage used, he especially is enthraled by a black powder he uses, wich flashed and almost exploded when it touches fire.
After weeks of this torture the mages suddenly stoped grabbing goblins and well left, Leaving Clan YipYip broken, dazed and vunrable.

Clan YipYip returns broken to stillben they made an treaty with the people there, they will help stillben with defence, scavaging and becoming a part of society, since a lot of the goblins had peremanent brain damage, having them zone out at random times.
Some goblins got magical powers but they were unstable but harmless, and they used it for entertainment

However YipYap was different, he contineus the research of the mage that did it to him, using some of the leftover supply's often asking for volenteers.
His Father YipYip the first, thought it might be a good idea to send YipYap to adventure because well the last experiment he did, almost blew up their home.

So YipYap set out to adventure, looking for the mage that tortured him, not know if he wants to get revenge or contineu his research,however life would be difficult for this goblin.
Having blue skin with black spots, Ice white hair and well only half a mustache and burn marks on his face, people would not likley trust him, be he would try, and will he triomph, time will tell.
Nov 5, 2017 5:50 pm
Very strange reaction to being torchured. Most would have an adverse reaction to the powder after it caused undue harm. Goblin's are a fasinating spieces.
Nov 5, 2017 7:23 pm
haha well its also because well massive chemicals messed wit his mind
Nov 5, 2017 8:59 pm
I meant that to be in character. My guys is a researcher and love to find out new information. Very curious little guys.
Nov 5, 2017 9:11 pm
My character is a researcher as well; a curious cat. His current obsession is with "a wizard's secret". Apex, your character is a wizard, right? Maybe you have a secret my character wants to know!? Could be interesting.
Nov 6, 2017 12:05 am
Well i found a picture for YipYap, only 3 things wrong, 1 the weapons, he uses a bow, and later a gun, 2 his hair is not white and 3 well he has no half mustache, but its the closes thing i could find
Nov 6, 2017 8:13 am
Ok YipYap automaticly lives Valcos his character ^^, but seriously Valcos made my current picture for YipYap so thnx a lot man he looks really awsome
Nov 6, 2017 3:08 pm
Xanaphia also has a connection to wizards and magic so this could be interesting.
Nov 6, 2017 4:26 pm
Ok. First, some questions.
Is Elemental Evil, Sword Coast Adventurers' Guide, and other print WOTC good for consumption?

How much of the optional rules are we considering on using? Rapid quaffing sounds bad w/o context but it makes potions a lot more potent.

They say Halflings mature at the age of 20. How young is too young? 15? 16?

Am I right in assuming that we agreed on the ff:
a) With ToC available, I roll a d20 to check if I cause a WMS for every 1st level spell or higher cast.
b) With ToC expended, I roll for a WMS immediately.
c) ToC must be used in moderation and there are some surge effects that will be mellowed out (at least in the early stages of the game).
So my idea for Bobby is a latent spellcaster that would probably never be great at it. Maybe decent but not great. He is a kid that has seen things, terrible things.

He was born in Port Damali, Wildemount. Sold at the age of 13, he believes he has a slight idea of "how the world works" and that fate rules us all (but sometimes, the hand of fate must be forced). He has no idea how his family stands now. His only remembrances are a pet mouse that his mother always scolded him about and a small wooden statuette of a father he never met. He spent years in the slave trade. Spending most of his time as fodder or a bar for comparison for the patrons, never being bought. He escaped during the dragon fiasco while cargo and shipments were in disarray. A unicorn suddenly appeared in his captors midst. After seeing such a magnificent creature, Bobby saw the chance, bolted and never looked back. Hopeful, blissful, and fire lit in his belly. A handful followed suit, a catastrophe for most, a blessing for some. Bobby left his cares, fears, and ambitions behind to live a life for himself. If he is going to die, he is going to die in his own terms.

It has been a year since all that.
Nov 6, 2017 5:33 pm
Sounds like bobby and YipYap make great friends :p
Nov 6, 2017 6:00 pm
I apologize for not knowing the geography of Tal'dorei, despite following the Critical Role stream. However, I think my character's backstory is generic enough that it doesn't have to be pinned to a specific location and we can hopefully work it in later somehow.
[ +- ] Esperaillea's backstory
Nov 6, 2017 7:39 pm
Hey, got my backstory mostly done too.
[ +- ] Bronze's Backstory
Last edited November 6, 2017 7:41 pm
Nov 6, 2017 8:25 pm
jkl123 says:
Is Elemental Evil, Sword Coast Adventurers' Guide, and other print WOTC good for consumption?
The only things I'm saying are automatically ok are the PHB and the Taldorei Campaign Guide (including Matt Mercers stuff on the DM's Guild) - the EE Players Guide has the stats for Goliath's and Genesai which are ok but asides from that I'd want it running by me before I can say yeah or not
jkl123 says:
How much of the optional rules are we considering on using? Rapid quaffing sounds bad w/o context but it makes potions a lot more potent.
I'm going to run with all the optional rules in the Taldorei Campaign Guide to start with and we'll tweak things as we go if I think it's unbalancing things.
jkl123 says:
Probably any younger than 15 would be pushing it but if you've got a solid story idea let me know and I'm sure we can make it work.
jkl123 says:
Am I right in assuming that we agreed on the ff:
a) With ToC available, I roll a d20 to check if I cause a WMS for every 1st level spell or higher cast.
b) With ToC expended, I roll for a WMS immediately.
c) ToC must be used in moderation and there are some surge effects that will be mellowed out (at least in the early stages of the game).
Yup, the first two points are RAW for Wild Magic Sorcerers as I read things, the third is my tweak to balance it out a bit initially (and to avoid the risk of a TPK straight off the bat!)

Hope that helps, if you need anything else just let me know :)
Nov 6, 2017 8:29 pm
CancerMan says:
I apologize for not knowing the geography of Tal'dorei, despite following the Critical Role stream. However, I think my character's backstory is generic enough that it doesn't have to be pinned to a specific location and we can hopefully work it in later somehow.
[ +- ] Esperaillea's backstory
Could say she's from Emon which is the biggest city on this continent (if I remember right)? At least the biggest non Elven or Dwarven city.
Nov 6, 2017 8:33 pm
Sure, that will work. Any distance between there and Stillben would help solidify her training as a ranger.
Nov 6, 2017 8:33 pm
Loving what I'm seeing from everyone so far, I've gotten past my interviews now so I'm going to look to get things started tomorrow guys. Don't worry if you've not got your characters quite done just yet, first bit's going to be mostly RP anyway so if you want to jig things about a bit it's fine by me :)
Nov 6, 2017 8:38 pm
CancerMan says:
Sure, that will work. Any distance between there and Stillben would help solidify her training as a ranger.
Thought that would be the case, they're on opposite coasts (Emon is on the West, Stilben is to the East) so you can't get much further apart. There's a copy of the map here if you want to take a look
Nov 6, 2017 8:48 pm
[ +- ] My characters story.
Nov 7, 2017 5:38 am
mcneils5 says:
jkl123 says:
The only things I'm saying are automatically ok are the PHB and the Taldorei Campaign Guide (including Matt Mercers stuff on the DM's Guild) - the EE Players Guide has the stats for Goliath's and Genesai which are ok but asides from that I'd want it running by me before I can say yeah or not
Thank you. I wanted to start with the Green-Flame Blade cantrip, if that's alright.
mcneils5 says:
jkl123 says:
Probably any younger than 15 would be pushing it but if you've got a solid story idea let me know and I'm sure we can make it work.
I am good with the 15-16 range. About three years of captivity before he causes weird stuff seems to be a good sweet spot.
Nov 8, 2017 6:05 am
I tend to write up loose backstories and "find my character" through the RP (sometimes the character changes slightly in the process), but here is the basic gist of my character in the meantime.
[ +- ] Xanaphia's Backstory
Last edited November 8, 2017 6:18 am
Nov 9, 2017 9:27 pm
I've kicked things off guys, first post for 'The Frog Job' is here
Nov 17, 2017 9:23 pm
Is there anything I should change?
Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm
jkl123 says:
Is there anything I should change?
Not unless you want to :)
Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm
I can't seem to be able to post as my PC
Last edited November 17, 2017 10:48 pm
Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm
Do you get the drop down for the character on your posts or is it missing totally? Might be worth posting in the bugs sub forum but I don’t think Keleth will get chance to look at anything in there until next week as he’s at Pax Unplugged this weekend
Nov 17, 2017 10:49 pm
The dropdown is missing.

Duly noted. Thank you.
Nov 17, 2017 10:51 pm
Did you withdraw your character and resubmit? mcneils5 might need to re-approve. Otherwise, try withdrawing and resubmitting and see if it works.
Nov 17, 2017 10:51 pm
Only thing I can think of trying is re-upload your avatar picture
Nov 17, 2017 10:52 pm
CancerMan says:
Did you withdraw your character and resubmit? mcneils5 might need to re-approve. Otherwise, try withdrawing and resubmitting and see if it works.
Checked that and the characters not showing as needing approval, could be worth trying if you want to try withdrawing and resubmitting
Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm
Approved your character again mate if you wanna check to see if you can post ok again now?
Nov 17, 2017 11:22 pm
Thank you but the selection is still missing.
Nov 18, 2017 4:25 pm
I think the problem was the quotation marks. Something about starting with them makes the entry disappear. Whenever I edit the sheet, I should take note to retype the name back.

Thanks!
Nov 18, 2017 5:14 pm
jkl123 says:
I think the problem was the quotation marks. Something about starting with them makes the entry disappear. Whenever I edit the sheet, I should take note to retype the name back.

Thanks!
Ah, that one. It's a known issue, but unfortunately it's not one that high on the priority list to address.

The alternative is to not use quotation marks, or write something like Abbott Sabot aka Bobby.
Nov 19, 2017 1:31 am
ok question for the gm for later levels if YipYap survives.... how am i getting a gun, in my mind i have like a broken gun at my personal home/on my person from my background, and i have no idea how to fix it yet... but i will leave that up to you
Nov 19, 2017 8:29 am
GaztheDm says:
ok question for the gm for later levels if YipYap survives.... how am i getting a gun, in my mind i have like a broken gun at my personal home/on my person from my background, and i have no idea how to fix it yet... but i will leave that up to you
After the mages who were experimenting on YipYap left he found a small pouch containing some shiny parts. He’s been playing experimenting with these to try and figure out what they are for but he’s not quite sure yet asides from the smell of them indicating they have something to do with the powder the mages we’re experimenting with

Hows that sound? Basically you’d have the parts so once you hit 3rd level and pick up the Gunslinger Archetype you’ll be able to use your Gunsmith ability to craft a Pistol.
Jan 31, 2018 1:46 am
HP roll

^^ yes above avarage
Last edited January 31, 2018 1:47 am

Rolls

HP roll 1d10 - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Jan 31, 2018 1:50 am
HP

WOOHOO!
Last edited January 31, 2018 1:50 am

Rolls

HP - (1d8+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Feb 1, 2018 11:26 pm
Taking average. Can't risk that d6 beimg lower than 4.
Aug 28, 2018 5:31 pm
mcneils5, are you still okay with the UA Revised Ranger? I can always respec if you'd rather stick to officially published material.
Aug 28, 2018 5:58 pm
CancerMan says:
mcneils5, are you still okay with the UA Revised Ranger? I can always respec if you'd rather stick to officially published material.
No you’re fine, my previous confusions simply been from forgetting some of the stuff the UA version superceedes over the PHB one. It’s all good ;)
Aug 28, 2018 10:50 pm
Taking a chance with HP increase.

Rolls

HP - (1d10+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Aug 30, 2018 3:37 am
Here we go.

Rolls

HP - (1d8+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Sep 1, 2018 7:40 am
I like to roll.

Rolls

Dice gods I pray to thee - (1d6+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Sep 1, 2018 7:40 am
What, yes.
Feb 14, 2019 3:23 am
Rolling up a new character! Results: 14, 13, 9, 12, 14, 9.

I'm thinking of a draconian fighter with the soldier background. He's wandered far from the ruins of Draconia, searching for salvation and redemption from his abiding of the Ravenite oppression. It'd make sense that he's come to a remote place like Dunghill, at least.

STR 16, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 9, WIS 9, CHA 13.

What level should I start at?
Last edited February 14, 2019 3:42 am

Rolls

Attributes - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (2545) = 16

4d6 : (6152) = 14

4d6 : (4123) = 10

4d6 : (3236) = 14

4d6 : (4643) = 17

4d6 : (3331) = 10

Feb 14, 2019 3:33 pm
CancerMan says:
Rolling up a new character! Results: 14, 13, 9, 12, 14, 9.

I'm thinking of a draconian fighter with the soldier background. He's wandered far from the ruins of Draconia, searching for salvation and redemption from his abiding of the Ravenite oppression. It'd make sense that he's come to a remote place like Dunghill, at least.

STR 16, DEX 13, CON 14, INT 9, WIS 9, CHA 13.

What level should I start at?
Sounds good, starting at 4th level mate as I've just leveled up the others
Feb 14, 2019 4:55 pm
I've submitted Layandawei, 4th-level blue dragonborn fighter with the champion archetype.

Background: Soldier
Feature: Military Rank
Personality Trait: I'm haunted by the atrocities the draconians inflicted upon the ravenites. I can't get the images of violence and oppression out of my head.
Personality Trait: I've lost too many friends, and I'm slow to make new ones.
Ideal: Independence. When people follow orders blindly, they embrace a kind of tyranny.
Bond: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves.
Flaw: I have little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
Flaw: The monstrous deeds we committed cost many lives, and still leave me haunted and ashamed.

Layandawei is a former soldier from Draconia, tasked with the defense of her realm and ensuring the safety and security of her people. The blue dragonborn was also responsible for keeping the Ravenites in check, applying muscle and force when necessary, or more often than not, when ordered.

Layandawei always felt conflicted when tasked with suppressing Ravenite independence. He never understood why the tailess ones were considered a lesser caste, for did they not share the same draconic blood? However, life within the military was one of strict discipline, and Layandawei did not shirk from his duties.

When Draconia was destroyed by the Chroma Conclave, the oppressors also fell from power. Layandawei felt it was time he left the military and cast himself into exile to meditate on his participation of what he felt were horrible atrocities. He made his own pact that he would right these wrongs whenever he could.
Feb 19, 2019 7:01 am
Taking average for level hp 4.
Taking 4th level in wizard
2 more spells to learn - Mage Armor, Misty Step
1 cantrip - Chill Touch
And still deciding on a feat or ASI - Feat: Fade Away(XGtE)
Last edited February 19, 2019 8:27 am
Feb 19, 2019 1:21 pm
Layandawei is approved, will introduce the character at the next suitable opportunity.
Mar 1, 2019 4:39 am
Leveling (finally).
Increasing DEX
Adding Color Spray to my spell list
Last edited March 1, 2019 4:46 am

Rolls

Level 4 HP - (1d8+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Mar 1, 2019 8:41 pm
Welcome HypCo, Arina and Kadeton. Please post your character idea's in here, will be a few days before I'm looking to introduce the new characters so no massive rush on getting things sorted
Mar 1, 2019 11:05 pm
Hey, everyone! I'm not really sure of any solid ideas for characters yet so 'no massive rush' is a blessing. At least I can get rolls out of the way, those don't require an idea.

Rolls

Stat barf - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (1136) = 11

4d6 : (2636) = 17

4d6 : (2233) = 10

4d6 : (2432) = 11

4d6 : (1415) = 11

4d6 : (6525) = 18

Also, dolla dolla. - (5d4)

(34114) = 13

Mar 2, 2019 12:12 am
I'm not too sure either. Maybe a cleric because despite having played for a fair number of years, I've never played one before.

Rolls

4d6

(4254) = 15

4d6

(5344) = 16

4d6

(3515) = 14

4d6

(1633) = 13

4d6

(6664) = 22

4d6

(1525) = 13

Mar 2, 2019 12:17 am
Let's see how those rolls go...

So 8, 10, 15, 15, 16, 16. Damn, that's a solid statblock.

From a build perspective, I'm leaning towards a Wood Elf Paladin, a sort of agile, stealthy Forest Avenger. I'm not sure how well that will actually work (compared to, say, the more "obvious" choice of Ranger) but I like the idea of the character having found a true Calling. I'll work up a character sheet and write a proper backstory soon!

Edit: @mcneils5, would you be okay with me taking the Outlander background, but switching out the Athletics proficiency for Stealth? I see the character having a background as a hunter, but focusing more on the elven techniques of silent ambush than the human hunter's approach of relentless pursuit.

I'd also like her to learn the Sylvan language for her choice, is that okay? (It's Exotic, so needs DM permission, but I think it makes sense for her - the connection with nature makes contact with fey more likely than anything else.)
Last edited March 2, 2019 7:32 am

Rolls

4d6 : (2214) = 9

4d6 : (4365) = 18

4d6 : (6212) = 11

4d6 : (5642) = 17

4d6 : (5654) = 20

4d6 : (4556) = 20

Starting wealth - (5d4)

(14433) = 15

Hit points - (3d10)

(1101) = 12

Mar 2, 2019 12:22 am
Wow my first 18. Any problems if I make my cleric a Firbolg?
Mar 2, 2019 3:25 am
Well Frazzles is going to start reading into religion, specifically looking into reincarnation and those magics. Might take magic initiate at 8 for some cleric spells, not sure yet.
Mar 3, 2019 8:47 pm
kadeton says:
Edit: @mcneils5, would you be okay with me taking the Outlander background, but switching out the Athletics proficiency for Stealth? I see the character having a background as a hunter, but focusing more on the elven techniques of silent ambush than the human hunter's approach of relentless pursuit.

I'd also like her to learn the Sylvan language for her choice, is that okay? (It's Exotic, so needs DM permission, but I think it makes sense for her - the connection with nature makes contact with fey more likely than anything else.)
Yeah I'm fine with both of those changes.
Mar 4, 2019 4:19 am
Here's where I'm at with my character's backstory:

Tarasynora Liavaris grew up among the wild elves of Lyrengorn, and became a proficient hunter in the mountain forests. She adored the beauty of the icy wilderness, the majesty of its glaciers and ancient pines, and especially the wonder of the northern lights, and the skillful aerobatic displays of the wyvern riders who played amongst the dazzling colours.

Tara was proud of her skills as a hunter, but always felt as though there was something missing from her life, some essential purpose or meaning. Her work was important, for sure - it kept the people of Lyrengorn fed, and the forests safe from supernatural threats. It kept nature in balance, and ensured that everything continued as it always had.

It was only when a group of humans came to the city, begging for the elves’ aid to save their village from violent creatures of the Feywild, that Tara was able to understand what she was missing. The city’s leaders welcomed the humans as they did all peaceful travelers, and gave them all the comforts of elven hospitality, but they refused to help them. Tara demanded to know why.

"Their troubles are not our troubles," she was told. And in that moment, she understood - she could not ignore the suffering of others, no matter who they were; the presence of darkness and evil in the world was everyone’s problem, and she would never be content to maintain the state of things as they were. She had to try to make the world a better place.

When the humans left, she left with them, against the protestations of her family and friends. The humans told her of the fey spirits that attacked their farmers, hunters and woodcutters, starving the village of supplies. The people were afraid to leave their houses, and they feared the spirits would soon attack the village itself.

Tara went out into the woods near the village alone, and called upon the forest spirits to speak with her. The dryads came forth from the trees, in their aspects of war and anger. They told Tara that the humans were wounding the land and the forest with their greed and ignorance. Tara did not try to argue, but simply listened.

For over a year, Tara went back and forth between the humans and the dryads, asking for patience and understanding. She taught the humans how to gather wood and hunt game without upsetting the balance of the forest. She convinced the dryads to give over some of the forest for farmland, so the humans could grow enough crops to survive. In turn, the humans agreed to protect and honour the dryad’s sacred groves, the surrounding forest and its creatures. She built an agreement between them, such that each was better for it - without the conflict from their mutual misunderstandings, they could grow and flourish to mutual benefit.

When she first began to see humans and dryads starting to work in harmony without her intervention, Tara felt joy and sadness in equal measure. The results confirmed her deepest feelings - that she could make a difference in the world, and that the light of compassion was truly able to banish the darkness of ignorance and hatred. On the other hand, these people no longer needed her help, and it was time to move on.
Mar 5, 2019 12:19 pm
Hey, McNeils, sorry for the lack of progression; work has been a son-of-a. Anyway, I think I finally landed on something that I enjoy. Just need to fill out a character sheet, shouldn't be more than a day or two.
Mar 5, 2019 3:27 pm
kadeton - looks great :)

HypCo - Don't worry mate, I'd rather you take a bit longer and end up with a character you're really happy with than rush it and not be feeling them when you're playing.
Mar 6, 2019 3:55 am
Think yer've got problems? Wish yer had never been born? Sit down, shut up and thank yer lucky stars that yer not me. I was born into the Mossflower Tribe, a bunch of tree hugging hippies, the lot of them. Used to be one myself once, but that's not important. Every year at harvest time we gathered together with the other Firbolg tribes of Wildmount, and the shamans read the future. Sometimes we had good signs, sometimes bad. In a good year we'd drink, make merry and celebrate, in a bad year we'd work hard, disperse, and conserve what we had. It's all balance, yer see? This one year the signs were the worst the shamans had ever seen. Hard work wouldn't cut it. Somethin bad was commin. And the Wildmother would need some serious help to fight it. To get that help, she'd need a trustworthy soul. A really nice guy. A good honest worker... You can see where this is going right? So I was selected. The chosen one. Lucky me. The bastards never told me that they were gonna send me to her direct like. I was hanged from the corpse of the great tree, while all of my friends and family watched and threw lillies at my feet. Fuck em. I died that day. But my spirit didn't go up, or down. Instead it was sucked into the tree where I met Death herself. See, people think that nature is all lovely roses, the birds and the bees, yer know? That is nature. But nature is also the cruelist thing you can imagine. A whole bunch of plants and animals struggling to survive, eating each other. Torturing each other. And I have met her. If she doesn't scare yer then yer ain't right in the head. She fucking terrifies me and I'm on her good side! Sorta. Anyway, we meet and she takes one look at me and I could feel her stripping away my soul as if she were about to eat it. After a long while she says Change is coming. I need all the strength I can get. You have a choice, serve me. Be my Reaper of Souls. Harvest for me and all of your kills will feed me. If you refuse I will eat your soul. Choose. Well, as yer can see I'm still here, so guess what I chose? I woke up with this scar running along me neck, and my body was covered with flowers. How nice of them, aye? And all of my people had scattered like the wind. You know the first thing I did? Rip off my bloody tribal tattoo. Fuck Mossflower, Fuck the Firbolg. To hell with the lot of them. Oh I'll serve the Wildmother. I'll send her evil souls, while I see if I can figure out why she needs em and if there's any way to get outta this curse. So whatdya think? Did yer like my touchin story?
Jul 7, 2021 1:20 am
Survey says? .... wow

18, 17, 14, 12, 12, 11
Last edited July 7, 2021 1:21 am

Rolls

Stats? - (4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6, 4d6)

4d6 : (6636) = 21

4d6 : (5466) = 21

4d6 : (1563) = 15

4d6 : (4144) = 13

4d6 : (2641) = 13

4d6 : (5151) = 12

Hp rolls for 2-5 - (4d8)

(1764) = 18

You do not have permission to post in this thread.