No, more iconic than that

Nov 14, 2017 12:04 am
So I'm getting pregens ready for a one-shot D&D 5e game I'll be running this weekend. Because of a lack of time and it being a one-shot, I will have the players pick their character and we'll jump into the game.
I'm wanting to make one iconic character per class, though I just now realize I may want to go for one iconic character per archtype?
Anyway, I've come up with a quick list and wonder if I'm missing anything or if I'm off the mark for an iconic character.
Oh, and the PCs will be starting level 6.
Class - - - - - Race - - - - - - Background
Barbarian - - Half-orc - - - - Outlander
Bard - - - - - Gnome - - - - - Entertainer
Cleric - - - - - Human - - - - Acolyte
Druid - - - - - Elf - - - - - - - Outlander
Fighter - - - - Dwarf - - - - - Soldier
Monk - - - - - Human - - - - Hermit
Paladin - - - - Human - - - - Noble/Knight
Ranger - - - - Half-Elf - - - - - - - Outlander
Rogue - - - - Halfling - - - - Urchin
Sorcerer - - - Dragonborn - - Folk Hero
Warlock - - - Tiefling - - - - - Sage
Wizard - - - - Elf - - - - - - - Sage
Last edited November 17, 2017 9:55 am
Nov 14, 2017 12:13 am
Depending on the level the characters are going to be, you’d definitely want to include archetypes. Archetypes may change what you want for backgrounds too. For example, a rogue-thief may want to be an urchin whereas a rogue assassin may be more inclined to be a criminal background.
Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am
Yep, I see what you mean now. There are 3 fighter arch types. When I think of a champion, I imagine a folk hero dwarf whereas I see a human soldier for Eldritch Knight because that's Steiner from FFIX
Nov 14, 2017 11:47 am
Though if your going iconic, you should just choose the iconic subclass. Like the berserker barbarian, the lore bard, the healing cleric, moon Druid, either a champion or battle master depending on your taste of fighter, open hand monk, devotion paladin, hunter ranger, thief rouge, dragonbliid sorcerer, infernal warlock and evocation wizard. I believe all of these classics kind up with the class/backgrounds that you proposed.
Nov 14, 2017 12:06 pm
Good idea! I don't want there to be three fighters and a paladin.
Now to get the races and backgrounds down.
Any thoughts?
Last edited November 14, 2017 1:03 pm
Nov 14, 2017 12:30 pm
Doesn't Charlatan fit the Warlock better? I imagine them being secretive and hiding their true selves. And I might be tempted to give the Paladin a Noble (probably Knight) background because although they are dedicated to their deity, I tend to imagine it's something that they come to later in life, rather than working up to it from an early age (unlike the Cleric).
Nov 14, 2017 1:11 pm
I like the way you think. I'm uncertain about the dragonborn dragon bloodline sorcerer background.
Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm
I've been thinking about this for the last few hours and the way I see it a sorcerer could potentially be anyone; any race, any background. But since you're looking for an iconic example of the class, I think the dragonborn dragon bloodline is the way to go. I think the most iconic type of sorcerer (in D&D) is the wild magic one, but there's no particular reason to choose one race over another. For the whole package stick with what you have.
Nov 15, 2017 6:40 pm
Cool, thanks. I'm thinking Folk Hero background and the sign of sorcerous power is seen as a good omen and great destiny by dragonborn
Nov 15, 2017 8:27 pm
I think I see Dwarf or Human as a better fit for the cleric, with perhaps the Half-Elf becoming the ranger since you already have a lot of Elves available...
Nov 17, 2017 9:54 am
I see what you mean.
Also, how many magic items would you give 6 lvl PCs? There don't seem to be guidelines in the DMG or PHB.
Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am
unique_exemplar says:
I see what you mean.
Also, how many magic items would you give 6 lvl PCs? There don't seem to be guidelines in the DMG or PHB.
Page 38 of the DMG has some guidelines for starting characters at a higher level split between low, standard and High magic campaigns.
Last edited November 17, 2017 11:06 am
Nov 17, 2017 2:53 pm
Xanathar's also has a set of information on magic item counts within a party based on party level (page 135).
Last edited November 17, 2017 2:55 pm
Nov 18, 2017 11:45 am
Thanks mcneils5. I was using the DMG pg 135 to determine how powerful of magic items the party can have.
Dramasailor, I want that book! Sounds like what I found in the DMG though.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.