Agents of Oblivion Overview

Jun 17, 2015 12:27 pm
It's an interesting setting, it can been a cross between Men in Black, the James Bond movies, Born Identity, X-Files, Hellboy, and the League of Extraordinary Gentleman. Agents of Oblivion is a bit different from Stock Savage Worlds, there are a few skills that are new such as tradecraft, as well as a few things like certain edges and such that aren't used in the setting versus standard Savage Worlds. You also start with a few skills as a new agent since you've been through the training program (free skill points in specific skills for the most part).

One of the cool features I think about the setting is that although you're apart of a large global organization, your PC is also part of a specific branch or mind set when dealing with the 'problems/issues' you'll face within Oblivion. There's the Assault, Occult, and Operations branches to pick from, PC all don't have to be from the same branch to operate together and in fact inter branch operational missions is encourages, since it's a 'position' on the job you can change branches but for me from an RP perspective it has to make sense, plus no trying to swop branches in the middle of an adventure, now a bit about each branch. The Assault branch would be your door busting down approach to problems, meeting things head on since obviously if there's a problem and it's some thing odd (Spooky, Alien, high-tech, etc.) it needs to be put down. They benefit in their branch by getting a free combat related boon. The Occult branch is about understanding the unknowns to the world to better handle it. Granted there are a lot of the unknowns to know about and the branch augment members of their branch with 'gear' that usually boosts or gives an additional power of sorts. Operations is probably the oddest since they move from the traditional spook to someone tapping media assets to spin the story of how the team just detained an alien by blowing up a building to fall on top of it. They usually gain a boon that assists in leadership or social areas.

While a PC only gets one it is dependent on the branch they're in and I think they'll be able to request something before the mission (i.e. pick something that would probably prove beneficial during the mission versus a random skill).

Another cool feature I think is the single use devices (SUDs) or gadgets you can try and get for a mission with the GM's approval. Everyone trying to get the ability to call in multiple Air Strikes may not happen mind you. Usually the SUDs mimic a power or edge for a one time use.

One odd point I'd bring up is loot, besides objectives and if you feel a need 'trophies' there really isn't any. After a mission brief you're given time to prep such as pick a new branch benefit if needed and gear up. Your loadout will be given for free so to speak since each player has requisition points to use before a mission they can get specific things they think they'll need. As long as they turn in their equipment sans spent ammo and don't ask for anything too outrageous. Unused points can be used in the field also to request additional equipment but again nothing too crazy, like requisitioning a tank before going into a firefight.

Thread locked