Character Creation

load previous
Sep 1, 2015 1:32 pm
Ready here as well!
Sep 1, 2015 1:39 pm
http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2008/10/17/martalw37L86UAw7od.jpg

Zinnarath had it rough from day one. Her mother was poor, her father was slain before she was born by an over eager paladin seeking to 'rid the world of vile creatures'. She learned to pickpocket and stay below the notice of others shortly after she learned to walk and talk, as those skills were necessary to survive. Her mother passed when she was fourteen. Zinn stowed away on the next ship that passed through the little port town she was born in and started on her own path. She was fortunate to have hidden herself away on a pirate vessel in need of a good thief. When they realized their food stores were short, and discovered her, instead of throwing her overboard or running her through, they offered her a place on the crew.

Years on the sea, navigating the rigging and sword fighting on the unpredictable sway of the sea taught Zinn the finer points of getting around with a bit of flourish. Before long she had become First Mate, and led many raiding parties on small port towns, treasure troves and merchant vessels. Zinn's exploits earned her a bit of renown as the Black Queen.

All good things come to an end, and Zinn's pirate life was no exception. Authorities local to the regions they frequently harried began to see their ship as a threat that could be turned into an example. Fleets scoured the sea searching for them and the bounty on their captain and ship grew so large that they could not even trust the owners of safe houses or the honesty of a trustworthy fence. Zinn saw their end coming like a huge tidal wave, and so did not return to the ship when they stopped at a small port to resupply. She was not the first to leave, but her betrayal probably stung the captain the most. Whether because her attentive eye and good sword arm were absent, or not, the ship was captured in the bay just beyond the port.

Looking for a new life, Zinn struck inland. Her skills helped secure the odd job, adventuring contract and keep thieves and brigands off her tail. Her reputation as the Black Queen, while fading, proved useful for brushing off local authorities and getting away with small crimes. Through fate or fortune she found herself in (the same place the group is).
Sep 1, 2015 2:15 pm
Nearly there!
Sep 1, 2015 3:21 pm
Bond, Flaw, Ideal etc are on the character sheet. Tonight I'll go shopping (already partially done with 2x Rapier and 1x Studded Leather, but I still need to fill in the other gaps. Theives' Tools, Shortbow and other miscellaneous stuff)
Sep 2, 2015 4:15 am
Just to make sure I do this right, I get 750 gold to spend and anything that I buy that I could've chosen as part of my starting package I get for half price (and because of this, I don't get my starting package)?
Sep 2, 2015 9:07 am
The 750 is seperate for starting at higher than l1.

Otherwise normal rules apply: take class starting equipment or roll for wealth. If you take the class stuff you can sell anything you gain from it at half it's value, if you don't want it
Sep 2, 2015 2:37 pm
Perfect! I should be able to finish this up tonight then when I get my hands on a PHB (there's one at the local game cafe and I'm heading there for an event). Unless someone wants to price out hand crossbow bolts, tell me what's in a burglar's pack (and price out rope, grappling hook and pitons in they aren't in the pack) :)
Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am
So the cafe plan never panned out and now I'm in the UK and won't be back home for 3 months (exciting!). Really, all I need to know is the cost of a standard adventure's kit and the cost of (hand) crossbow bolts. Then I can figure out how much gold I have left, exactly how many hand crossbows I have and how many bolts I have (as I assume we're tracking ammunition? Or can I buy a suitable large number of bolts and never count them again?)
Sep 11, 2015 1:08 pm
Burglar’s Pack = 16 gp.
Dungeoneer’s Pack = 12 gp.
Explorer’s Pack = 10 gp.
Hand Crossbow = 75 gp.
PHB doesn't seem to differentiate between crossbow sizes when it comes to bolts. Crossbow bolts (20) = 1 gp
Sep 11, 2015 5:18 pm
You can have as many as you can carry! Your normal capacity is strength x15lbs. 20 bolts are 1.5lbs.

Here's the texts from the packs:

Eq u i p m e n t Pa c k s
The starting equipment you get from your class includes acollection of useful adventuring gear, put together in a pack. The contents of these packs are listed here. If you are buying your starting equipment, you can purchase a pack for the price shown, which might be cheaper than buying the items individually.

Burglar’s Pack (16 gp). Includes a backpack, a bag of 1,000 ball bearings, 10 feet of string, a bell, 5 candles, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, a hooded lantern, 2 flasks of oil, 5 days rations, a tinderbox, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Diplomat's Pack (39 gp). Includes a chest, 2 cases for maps and scrolls, a set of fine clothes, a bottle o f ink, an ink pen, a lamp, 2 flasks of oil, 5 sheets of paper, a vial of perfume, sealing wax, and soap.

Dungeoneer’s Pack (12 gp). Includes a backpack, a crowbar, a hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Entertainer’s Pack (40 gp). Includes a backpack, a bedroll, 2 costumes, 5 candles, 5 days o f rations, a waterskin, and a disguise kit.

Explorer’s Pack (10 gp). Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.

Priest’s Pack (19 gp). Includes a backpack, a blanket, 10 candles, a tinderbox, an alms box, 2 blocks of incense, a censer, vestments, 2 days of rations, and a waterskin.

Scholar’s Pack (40 gp). Includes a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife.
Sep 18, 2015 11:47 am
Okay I'm going to convert 200GP to supplies. Should I just list the value I have of those on my character sheet? Like Tinker Supplies (200gp)?
Last edited September 18, 2015 11:48 am
Sep 18, 2015 12:10 pm
Yeah - that makes sense. It's not a 'specific' item but it's reasonable that you would know what to collect to build the trinkets
Sep 18, 2015 1:01 pm
Alright perfect, I'll mark it on my sheet.
Dec 2, 2015 1:07 am
Hi Everyone! Biscuitfiend gave me permission to join. I have been trying to catch up on the threads so I can create my character. Looks like I should create a 5th level something with 750 gp starting, can purchase healing potions for 50 gp.

I have had a bit of trouble keeping track what is in the current party, anyone mind catching me up to speed?
Dec 2, 2015 10:14 am
Welcome, Beorn! Glad to have you join us!

Here's the current roster:
Zinnarath, half-orc rogue (Candi)
Grizel the Orphan, human paladin (me)
Victor Von Fisk, gnome wizard (PhantomNimbus)
Faelor, half-elf sorcerer (unique_exemplar)
Last edited December 2, 2015 10:21 am
Dec 2, 2015 10:16 am
Zinn is a rogue ;)
Dec 2, 2015 10:23 am
Candi says:
Zinn is a rogue ;)
Oops! Yeah, I knew that! :-P Edited my post.
Dec 2, 2015 2:13 pm
Awesome thank you :) this will help me thinking about what sort of character I want to create while I am at work :).

I was thinking either a Monk, a Barbarian, or a Cleric any particular request one way or the other?
Dec 4, 2015 1:12 am
Hi everyone, so I went with a Halfling Monk, Way of the Shadow. I went with the standard ability scores, as well as standard HP, so there were no rolls to post.

Here is my basic backstory :)

Mardak Goodbarrel grew up as an impoverished orphan within a crowded city in distant lands. During his time on the street he was beaten and mistreated frequently, often by those that deemed their selves higher born. Taken in by a ninja, looking for an apprentice to train, Mardak learned the various techniques he utilizes today. Mardak's master was a big fan of quotes, phrases, and sayings, and often had one for every situation. Often, despite the years separated from his master, Mardak finds himself quoting those same lines.

Mardak uses his skills to assist and aid the less fortunate, and is especially sensitive to helping orphans. Mardak's past experiences with wealthier individuals and higher classes has soured him to these individuals, it takes a great deal for him to trust them.
Dec 4, 2015 1:35 am
Hello everyone.

I just got to work on a human Valor Bard. I'll post more details later.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.