Looking for players that fit - Curse of Strahd

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 16, 2017 9:33 pm
Did you play the old module I6: Ravenloft and love it? Do you consider Count Strahd von Zarovich one of the best BBEGs in D&D history? Or perhaps you were like me and consider the Ravenloft campaign setting the best setting.

If any of you caught my thread for Curse of Strahd, Marithyme has generously offered to run the game after the new year. Before we create the game and get it going, we want to establish that the players that join share the same idea for the type of game, type of characters, posting style, etc.

Desires from players that wish to join:

--Tone down the humor and jokes. Normally, I tend toward a more Monty Python or Princess Bride feel to my games, but that doesn't work well with Ravenloft. Anyone that wants to join should be prepared to maintain the tension in post/prose for the majority of the interaction, not that we want to overemphasize the drama. Just don't sabotage it with ill-timed or frequent jokes.

--Don't default to confrontation (i.e. combat, intimidation, coercion, etc) as the first or only option when interacting with NPCs. Let's try to engage in dialogue and description before turning to combative tactics.

--Leave your pride behind, and don't take things personally. Strahd is arrogant and likely to insult you to your face. If you want to play a character that is offended by every slight and holds a grudge against everyone, then this game isn't for you.

--Good storytellers. It is play by post after all. Every post doesn't need to be a novel or even short story. Just have a feel for what is good addition to the story and try to interact in a descriptive way.

--Have fun and enjoy being in Ravenloft.

If you have interest, then post here with your intentions, character ideas, and any questions.
Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm
I have a rogue character with the Haunted One background from Strahd with a whole description and backstory already worked out. At the risk of overloading you with the first application, I'll stick it below (the longer bits in Spoiler tags, of course).

Description
[ +- ] Picture
Riz stands at 2’ 7" tall, small even for her race, and is gaunt, weighing in at 36 pounds. But beyond these simple measurements, the trauma that RIz has suffered has made its mark on her features, draining her face and hair of any vital colour and forever giving her eyes a haunted sheen. She habitually wears black, both in mourning and because it helps her to hide.

Personality
Her apparent frailty belies the strength in her bones, a strength borne of her indomitable willpower. Riz pursues the evils of the world in a self-imposed quest to prevent other children from having to suffer the things that she went through. She never flinches from danger, knowing that she has been through the worst that this world can offer, and that death would only mean peace for her.
[ +- ] Background
Last edited December 17, 2017 12:32 am
Dec 17, 2017 12:03 am
I don't know if it's because I have an affinity to halflings but garsh do I absolutely LOVE Riz. What a backstory! Maybe it's just the way your image was expanded but
[ +- ] I (hopefully) spruced up her picture to be less grainy.
Last edited December 17, 2017 12:03 am
Dec 17, 2017 12:31 am
Thank you, much nicer. I hadn't actually intended for the picture to be so BIG.
Dec 17, 2017 2:07 pm
That's a heck of a post to see after waking up this morning. Thank you.

Riz seems to be a character that would fit the theme very well. Hopefully, more players will apply that fit the theme, too.

I think I'm leaning toward something divine like a paladin or cleric, but I could go arcane class if others apply with divine characters.
Last edited December 17, 2017 2:08 pm
Dec 19, 2017 9:15 pm
There doesn't seem to be as much interest right now. I'm guessing folks are pretty tied up with the holiday season.
Dec 19, 2017 9:17 pm
Linus says:
There doesn't seem to be as much interest right now. I'm guessing folks are pretty tied up with the holiday season.
I wouldn't be worried. Like you said, everyone is busy around the holidays. Most of my games are SUPER slow right now because of it. I don't imagine there will be trouble finding people once the new year arrives.
Dec 19, 2017 10:56 pm
I would definitely be interested however being a little intimated and inspired by fluglichkeiten's post, i wanted to put something a little more detailed together before posting. I've mainly been DM-ing as of late and would love to get back into a PC myself. I have always wanted to play something with a wizard who depends more on using his spells creatively to change a battle field or circumvent conflict all together so I went to put something together....

Description:
6' 3" and a slender build puts Lathe at just about 190 lbs. He has an extremely fair complexion considering his mixed decent of the elves of the underdark and the humans of the surface. He wears a brown bowler hat, brown trench coat with a messy, untucked, collared white shirt underneath. The one thing he maintains is his neatly trimmed goatee with a small neat handlebar mustache. Most people don't linger too long on the messy shirt, dirty coat or neat facial hair as it's his violet eyes that others seem to lock on to. That is when they aren't distracted by the golden palm sized locket he is always fiddling with.

Personality:
Lathe is calm, collected and conflict-averse. He seems perpetually distracted as his violet eyes never stay still, but in actuality he soaks up every detail, drinking them in as if they were the water that sustained his very life. He has devoted years to studying divination, the school of wizardry that, to him, is the study of knowledge itself. If an unsolved mystery ever crosses his path he will pursue the unknown element relentlessly. On his adventures Lathe believes foresight with careful planning is the key to survival and that his current knowledge will aid in him solving that next mystery. However at his core the love his mother showed others still rings true to Lathe and he understands that every experience is a chance for learning and will work for the good of others when he sees the opportunity.

Background:
[ +- ] Background
Now this would be my first time playing a pbp, but would love the chance to give it a shot!
Dec 20, 2017 3:43 am
Hi Boomin. Don't be self-conscious about it all. Ravenloft is a drama filled setting, and Strahd is a quintessential BBEG. The RP side should come naturally. Everything else should handle itself without worry about whether other characters or players are outshining your character or posts.
Last edited December 20, 2017 3:44 am
Dec 20, 2017 5:46 am
Greetings friends,
I am very much interested in this proposal. Having never actually played in a non-homebrew campaign/ world, I look forward to giving this a try.
I currently have a character I had written up for a different campaign, that got cancelled, I was looking forward to playing. I would love to edit the character and add them to the game.
However it is currently a few hours after I usually hit my bed and I am exhausted. I shall post backgroud that I had written for that campaign now and edit it tomorrow to fit the campaign. At that time I will edit this post to include the updated character. In the meantime I hope you will still consider my participation and I thank you for your patience (and your input on my character).
[ +- ] Character Background
[ +- ] Photo
Yours in hopefulness,
K.

Edit: I lied, got too excited by this to go to bed and I ended up rewriting the background already. I hope you like it!
-K. (And now I am off to bed 3 hours later than usual)
Last edited December 20, 2017 6:10 am
Dec 20, 2017 10:28 am
Wow, what a great group! And for anyone who is lurking and intimidated by the lengthy posts of these hugely creative people, please do just speak up to show your interest.
Dec 21, 2017 12:05 am
Alright, being new to this whole thing, how are you all creating the sweet pictures? Or are you finding them somewhere/creating characters based on pictures you have found? Just curious how you're pulling it off.
Dec 21, 2017 4:00 am
I'm in, if you'll have me. I've loved Ravenloft (including the novels!) since 2nd Edition, and I would love to see how the 5e overhaul looks.
Dec 21, 2017 4:32 am
Hey Boomin,
I'm not sure about anyone else but I have no talent with Photoshop so unfortunately the photo I used was not my own (though I would love to learn more and be able to create my own some day. So if anyone knows of any tutorials or tutors shoot me a message ;) ) More often than not I create my character and then hit Google with some key words (with the one I used for this character I used specifically " female, tiefling, warlock." Simple and specific, yet broad enough for me to find something I like.
Sometimes I find a photo while scrolling through Pinterest or something and create a character from that as well. Just depends the day/ character/ inspiration.
Hope this helps,
K.
Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am
I’m the same, except I have s Pinterest board for character art that I like. I tend to create a character concept that I like first, then go to Pinterest to see if I have anything that fits. Usually, though, I need to do a search because there’s something specific that’s missing, so my pinterest keeps growing and growing.
Dec 21, 2017 11:09 am
Fair enough, just thought I’d ask. Thanks!

Alright so putting together some google searching, and some of the iOS free photoshop apps, this is the result....
[ +- ] Photo
Last edited December 22, 2017 12:33 pm
Dec 23, 2017 9:15 pm
If you are still looking for applicants I’d love to put my name in the hat...I don’t have a character concept in mind as I’m just reading this thread right now for the fiat time. But I’m an open to playing any character class or race right now
Dec 23, 2017 10:24 pm
Boomin; the pic isn’t displaying. It says you need to upgrade your photobucket account to allow third party hosting. I was able to follow the link by pressing the Quote button under your post and it took me to the site where the photo is hosted. From there I could right-click it and choose "Copy Photo Address", which gave me this;

http://rs1383.pbsrc.com/albums/ah288/dhartlein1/363B5AE7-EC24-4C85-8606-1E210A50FC93_zpsewabve73.jpg?w=480&h=480&fit=clip

When put into the spoiler and image code you get;
[ +- ] Image
Hope this helps.
Dec 24, 2017 12:56 pm
Fluglichkeiten, thanks for catching that and fixing it up for me. On my end it shows up both on your link and on mine so I would have had no idea it wasn’t working for you guys. Thanks again.
Dec 28, 2017 5:51 am
I have some characters rolled up already. If you all do not mind, I am more than open to joining you all in the adventure with one of them.

I noticed the game was full/closed. Feel free to let me know if you need an extra person.
Last edited December 28, 2017 5:52 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.