Hm... seems like you're using IE. Can I suggest a better browser, such as Firefox, Chrome or Opera? There are other choices too.

If you wanna stick with IE, or can't switch, I'll warn you right now, while most of this site should work with IE, stuff might come up buggy, so you might not enjoy it as much...

LMoP game thread

Jun 28, 2015 7:53 pm
https://c3409409.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/shutupandsitdown.vanillaforums.com/editor/u2/zasecqpse7qt.jpg

In the city of Neverwinter, a dwarf named Gundren Rockseeker asked you to bring a wagonload of provisions to the rough-and-tumble settlement of Phandalin. A couple of days‘ travel southeast of the city. Gundren was clearly excited and more than a little secretive about his reasons for the trip, saying only that he and his brothers had found “something big," and that he’d pay you ten gold pieces each for escorting his supplies safely to Barthen's Provisions, a trading post in
Phandalin. He then set out ahead of you on horse, along with a warrior escort named Sildar Hallwinter, claiming he needed to arrive early to "take care of business.”

You‘ve spent the last few days following the High Road south from Neverwinter, and you've just recently veered east along the Triboar Trail. You've encountered no trouble so far, but this territory can be dangerous. Bandits and outlaws have been known to lurk along the trail.

Introduce your characters - how did you get to know your dwarf patron Gundren Rockseeker?
Jul 7, 2015 1:46 am
For nearly five days, the patreons of The Iron Stag, a local tavern in Neverwinter, had been regaled with tales by a particular Tiefling Bard. At first, he had been reeceived rather poorly due to his horns, even being called some rather choice names reserved for his kind and infernals. None of it was anything new to Temerity though, as it was standard fare. Once he started into his tale, the words seemed to be replaced with awe and interest. However, those five days were enough for the traveling solo act. Neverwinter was certainly a wonderful place, but it didnt seem to hold the workings that would weave his name into Legend and win the heart of all. At least, it wasnt today.

As he was leaving the city on his own feet, he overheard a particular Dwarf offering ten gold to any man who would help protect his cart on its travels. It seemed to be the direction he was intending to head anyway, so he stepped forward when none others seemed to and took Gundren Rockseeker up on his offer. The only catch, he requested to be paid up front. Everyone knew that the trail Gundren wanted to take was certain to be watched by thieves and bandits.

It had been a few days since the conversation with Gundren, and they had been on the trail for a few days at least. Any attempts to ask Temerity even his name were certain to send the bard into another tale of glory involving a magical item at the heart. For the moment he had been left alone and was busy strumbing on his lute, playing a few folk songs that he knew just to liven up their boring march through this dull road.
Jul 7, 2015 6:42 pm
Travok stood before the crowd, holding his hammer up proudly. "Stay vigilant! Torm seeks out the corruption that plagues these lands! With the aid of the order of the gauntlet we shall free too people of Faerun from the oppression of evil!!" Travok's voice was unnaturally loud, and as he stood underneath the great gauntlet statue before the temple to Torm in Neverinter, his eyes blazed with holy light, brought on by the magical thaumaturgy granted to him by his deity Torm.

Travok had finally earned himself an assignment. A new initiate to the Order of the Gauntlet, and representing the great church to Torm, he was eager to head forth to seek out corruption and evil to stamp it out. He'd been assigned to seek out Gundren Rockseeker, a Dwarf who was heading to the frontier town of Phandalin. He would escort the Dwarf to the town, representing Torm and His passion for courage and duty.

The trip thus far had been slow, with no opportunities to fight the forces of corruption and evil. The Bard Temerity had tales to help pass the boredom, though Travok was getting starting to get antsy, even questioning this assignment from those above him in the order. He was quite sure that Torm hadn't ridden caravan guard duty before ascending to the celestial realm. Duty, however, was far more important, and Travok took his Penance of Duty quite seriously, he would continue, maintaining vigilance as he rode on the cart, anxious to make it to Phandalin to uncover greater challenges that might await him there.
Jul 7, 2015 10:19 pm
You remember his words: "I do not blame you, horned one, but I have already arranged for your payment in Phandalin. Elmar Barthen will pay you when you arrive with the goods at his shop in the top end of town. Not that I expect that you will be waylaid by bandits, but what good would gold be to you dead, or if you were robbed on the road? He is a kind-hearted and trustworthy man. Of course, from the troupe assembled so far, I expect you'd be left well alone when travelling the trail. Just make sure the goods get to Phandalin, I'm counting on you".
Jul 7, 2015 10:34 pm
Terrible dreams. In his younger days these were of far off, unknowable places and were affecting far off, unknowable people, each dream seemingly unrelated and unconnected to any of the others. As he grew older these dreams became more vivid, more refined, each telling a different part of the same terrible story, but still, nothing more than nightmares that would startle him awake.

That all changed a few weeks ago when the dreams started haunting Medve while awake. Visions that would rock him to his knees. Visions so strong he could swear he was living them. Visions that foretold of terrible events to come; unless he acted now. Leaving the wilderness and isolation that he had embraced since a child Medve was determined to find the two people who had been haunting him in his latest visions; a dwarven patron and singing tiefling...
Jul 8, 2015 3:44 am
Ten gold for bringing provisions to some village in the middle of nowhere. It was not exactly a dragon's hoard, but it was something. It was far more than he would make serving as his father's assistant in the shipyard, but he'd done business with the dwarf before, so he knew something was in the works. Nothing would make Gundren act this excited unless there was a big profit to be made, and if he paid close attention, Salix knew he could do well.

He's never been an adventurer until now, never even left Neverwinter before, but everyone by the docks knows him as Salix Stormborn. They know he has a gift with magic. That's why he was able to hire on with the dwarf. Even if he'd never been in a fight more serious than a tavern brawl, he was able to convince the dwarf he'd be a capable guard.

After three days on the road, he's starting to see the life of an adventurer is a lot more to do with trudging along an endless road and sleeping on the ground than any great heroism. As long as Marina waited for him, he'd endure whatever the world threw at him, as long as it led to riches.
Jul 8, 2015 5:02 am
Shane was not accustomed to working in a group. Although, to be fair, the job didn't sound much like work to the Halfling. Gundren tended to hire Shane for the more dubious jobs which were best accomplished on one's own. He was a bit surprised at himself for taking up Gundren's offer, as it meant working with four other hired goons, but Shane would never turn down easy coin.

More than the ten gold pieces, though, Shane hoped to make a quick run to the first tavern he could find in Phandalin. He had made a name for himself as a bit of a schemer, making easy coin at bars with the winning combination of drunkards and his trick dice. With few choices in local watering holes, Shane had been considering moving on from Neverwinter anyway.

The trip so far had been unremarkable, both in landscape and in company. Shane had not held close company with a Tiefling before, but was glad to have Temerity's tales and music to pass the time. He had kept mostly to himself, silently measuring up his comrades should things take a turn for the worst.
Jul 8, 2015 9:24 am
All characters receive inspiration to begin. You know you have each been hired for your skill, and although this is a menial job, there are still basic but important tasks to delegate. Someone must drive the wagon, as the oxen stop the second you drop the reins. They are gentle, domesticated animals and start grazing on whatever is in front of them. All of you could fit in the wagon, but perhaps someone should watch the rear too. How do you go about your journey?
Jul 8, 2015 3:30 pm
"By taking the reigns of these great beasts, I will ensure that we reach our destination, and that our courage will carried forth should the need to defend these supplies arise."

Travok will gladly take the reigns in a situation where volunteers are needed. He will also likely be the first to drop the reigns and leap over the oxen into battle as well ;)
Jul 8, 2015 3:47 pm
Temerity certainly wasnt the right person to hold the reigns of the domesticated animals pulling the cart. It just was not possible to hold the reigns and play a lute at the same time. Instead, the teifling found a comfortable spot near the front of the cart, leaning against the left side. From there, he was able to comfortably strum away. "Now if only we could have reached our destination yesterday. The gold is waiting and this road is quite dull." A dissonant chord was struck on the lute, just to add a little tension to the drab day that they were having. It was sure to make the hair raise on at least a few of their backs, but it was better than singing everyone to sleep. In two days, the only thing they'd seen is the road and some trees.

For the meager wage, Temerity was quite content to travel this direction. It was doubtful that this cart would lead him to fame, but he was traveling anyway. Might as well be paid to do something that he planned on doing anyway.
Jul 8, 2015 5:12 pm
"I'll keep an eye out for an potential danger as we journey to Phandalin."

Shane gets himself to the highest point he can on the cart and surveys the land.
Jul 8, 2015 6:20 pm
"I suppose I'll ride on the back of the wagon, and keep a lookout behind us, Salix said, comfortably believing that the dangers to be feared would be from the front.
Jul 8, 2015 9:48 pm
During the trip Medve alternated between walking besides the oxen and taking up positions in the carts next to the others. Living in isolation most of his life he wasn't quite sure how to interact with strangers but made an effort to at least introduce himself to each of them and have a little chat.
Jul 9, 2015 12:27 pm
http://s24.postimg.org/it2ii4ogj/Screenshot_2015_07_09_13_48_00.png

You've been on the Triboar Trail for about half a day. As you come around a bend, Shane is the first to spot two dead horses sprawled about 50 feet ahead of you, blocking the path. Each has several black-feathered arrows sticking out of it. The woods press close to the trail here, with a steep embankment and dense thickets on either side.
Jul 9, 2015 12:45 pm
"Travok, halt the oxen! The path ahead must be cleared before we can proceed. Everyone keep sharp, we will be more vulnerable while not moving."

Shane looks around and if he doesn't see any danger, he will move forward to examine the horses.
Last edited July 9, 2015 1:44 pm, a total of 1 time
Jul 9, 2015 12:56 pm
The saddlebags have been looted. Nearby lies an empty leather map case. It seems evident enough that these horses belonged to Gundren and his escort, Sildar Hallwinter.
Jul 9, 2015 1:57 pm
Shane Investigates the area, looking for signs of a struggle or tracks leading away from the horses.

Rolls

Investigate - (1d20+2)

( 14 ) + 2 = 16

Jul 9, 2015 2:24 pm
With the cart halted, Temerity would stop playing and stand in the cart so he had a better view. Clearly this was a good place for an ambush and the attackers could hide in the trees to each side. With that thought in mind, his gaze quickly went to the forest around them in search of other ambushers.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

( 16 ) + 3 = 19

Jul 9, 2015 2:46 pm
Salix hops off the back of the wagon and looks around the front to see what the situation is. Seeing the others coming to attention, he feels a prickle of fear running up his spine. He puts his hand on the hilt of the dagger at his belt as he scans the area, looking for danger.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

( 5 ) + 3 = 8

Jul 9, 2015 3:00 pm
Shane finds tracks around the path. There is evidence that about a dozen goblins have passed this way, and that there is a visible path that heads off into the woods on one side. There are also patterns in the ground where two bodies have been dragged towards that path.

It's clear that the goblins have left now and followed the trail down, taking their bounty with them.

Temerity spots the path from his position near to the cart. It seems like an obvious ambush site really, and it is really no wonder that bandits do lurk on this trail.

Rolls

Secret Roll

1 of 19
1 2 3 > Last >>

You do not have permission to post in this thread.