Wriath 20

Feb 11, 2018 2:29 am
I don't know if anyone has any interest in this, but I just received my backer copy of the PDF for Wraith 20. The final version should be ready in a few weeks once the errata are processed. After my initial perusal of the text, it looks pretty good.
Feb 11, 2018 6:45 am
I've never played Wraith, although I have a number of the books. I think I've never been confident that I had a troupe that was interested in playing a game with such powerful emotional backgrounds being so prominent.

Have you played an earlier version?
Feb 11, 2018 8:45 pm
Never played wraith but I’m a sucker for all things World of Darkness. I’d be interested.
Feb 12, 2018 2:31 am
Yes, I played in a play by post game, and it was actually quite interesting. The emotional content was definitely present, but I found everyone to be pretty respectful. Really no issues at all. Also, the Storyteller had everyone play their own Shadows (rather than having other players take on the roles), and so people would just randomly add in dialogue trying to push their Wraith towards Oblivion. (As a sidenote, the person running the game had a lot of experience with it, and said that he'd never really come across many issues with emotional/psychogical side of the game.

I'd would 100% be up for playing it. They made tweaks to the rules, but I saw a note while passing through the book that said, despite any changes, "Wraith is still Wraith." Unlike other oWoD games, Wraith never had a revised edition, so this sort of accommodates that by adding in changes, but as I understand it everything should still be compatible.

As an aside, the book also contains an Appendix for Orpheus to make the two games more compatible. Very cool addition. (As you can probably tell I'm excited to finally have this.)
Feb 12, 2018 2:46 am
I just want add, there are a couple places in the book about respecting boundaries.

For example:

"Respecting Limits
By nature, the Shadow is transgressive. It knows the
fears, pain, and weak spots of the character it grew out of, and
it ruthlessly exploits that knowledge to drive the wraith to
Oblivion. If taken too literally, this can produce an unwanted
adversarial relationship between player and Shadowguide. If
taken too far, it can devolve from pushing a character’s buttons
to pushing a player’s, and suddenly there’s more at stake than
experience points.
Players and Storytellers should clearly delineate what’s off
limits to the Shadowguide. Even if it putatively makes character
sense to go after a particular character trait, if it’s going to
make the player uncomfortable then the Shadow should leave
that arrow in the quiver. Clear delineation between player and
character is always important.
That being said, good Shadowplay can provide some of the
most intense, moving roleplaying imaginable, especially if both
player and Shadowguide are willing to go deep. If everyone’s
willing and ready, there’s no reason not to explore serious and
emotional material. "

Just so its clear that the designers/writers were aware of people's concerns.
Feb 12, 2018 5:12 am
That does sound intriguing and I've always wanted to play Wraith.

My main concerns, emotionally, where playing with troupes of murderhobos, haha. Not sure they would hit the right notes.
Feb 13, 2018 4:06 am
I'd love to get a game going. Once the finished product goes up for sale, let's make it happen.
Jul 29, 2018 2:29 am
I've received what appears to be the final version of backer PDF for Wraith: The Oblivion 20th Anniversary. It will likely be available to the public after GenCon, but I don't know how long that will be. Just throwing this out there for the people that were interested.
Jul 30, 2018 3:12 am
Thank for the update.
Jul 30, 2018 3:46 am
I'm interested, too. Always wanted to play Wraith.
Aug 1, 2018 5:36 pm
Same! W00t! Get excited...or depressed and angsty...whatever
Aug 10, 2018 12:24 am
I see V20 is live in DriveThrurpg, woot
Aug 10, 2018 3:04 am
Wraith 20 lives, so to speak. It is a beautiful, but massive book. If anyone picks it up and wants to throw some dice for it, let me know.
Aug 12, 2018 3:13 pm
Ahhhhh....too...many...games
Aug 12, 2018 3:41 pm
WarDomo says:
. Ha ha ha
Aug 13, 2018 3:17 pm
WarDomo says:
I feel your pain!
Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm
I'm approaching Naatkinson levels of gamibg
Aug 13, 2018 5:15 pm
WarDomo says:
I'm approaching Naatkinson levels of gamibg
Love it :P
Aug 28, 2018 10:11 pm
....and I bought the book.

My name is WarDomo and I am an addict
Aug 29, 2018 1:20 am
Nice! It's good for you.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.