Midland

Jul 17, 2015 5:53 am
Based off Berserk's Midland (1)
Located in the kingdom of Montebanc (1)
In need of a king in absence of Archmagi Martin and because of rampant murderhoboing (1)
Presently embroiled in civil war (1)
Some citizens call it "Du Centre" (1)
Jul 19, 2015 6:12 pm
Split among rival noble houses, who are now struggling for power. (1)

Also, I don't remember much of anything about Berserk. Could you sketch out a few of the details you have in mind that Midland draws from that series?
May 24, 2017 3:09 am
The civil war is fueled by disparate factions of eldritch knights (1) who all follow local lords that claim regency in the absence of Martin (1).

The secrets that led to Martin's capture by Grigori were sold by one of Martin's top advisers (1) and Exalted captain of the Gulden Drak
(order of Tasitus) (1).
May 27, 2017 1:40 am
Historical Event: The Siege of Ermengarde's Sheep (1)

Ancient grazing rights dispute between the villages of Scandy and Bervinne, which culminated in an armed peasant "militia" from Scandy cornering a Bervinne sheep in a tree for two days. Still celebrated yearly in a mostly-friendly series of competitions (4).
Jun 3, 2017 5:46 am
A band of warriors known as the Horns of the Minotaur (1) are among the mercenary groups that rove Midland. (1) The Horns are led by Caliban, an androgynous, attractive man with coal black hair (1) and his captain Viscera (1) who wields a huge sized Great Axe (1).
Jun 11, 2017 6:30 pm
Erolan Ridge (1)

Site of a massacre between the houses of Baneral (1) and Vin Soque (1). Only a handful of knights on either side lived to the end of the day, and both sides claim ambush and butchery on the part of the other (2). Used as a rallying cry by both Houses (1).
Jun 13, 2017 1:38 am
The founder of the Radiant Sword was a renowned knight of Vin Soque. (1)
Jun 13, 2017 10:31 pm
War is not new to the land of Midland. It has been plunged into constant warfare since before even the time of Martin. Four independent, powerful warriors help protect the borderlands from invasion.

It is said the Caliban was executed after having been found with the Noble Daughters of Vin Soque out of wedlock. Rumors of Caliban's Death seem to be largely exaggerated however as he appears to be amassing soldiers in the south.

There is a culture of knowledge in Midland and libraries exist in every town.
Jun 28, 2017 3:03 am
In spite of, or perhaps because of, the constant struggles in Midland, its people have a deep respect for the rule of law. Every rival house and faction can quote legal precedent for their claims, and the study of law is a common secondary commitment to a person's main pursuit. A few of the larger house militaries even have a formally established rank of Barrister-General, equally skilled with sword and quill.

"If war is merely diplomacy by other means, then diplomacy is merely another form of war."
Jul 3, 2017 12:32 am
It is little known that Caliban is a bastard son of House Baneral.
Jul 13, 2017 4:22 am
I vote the Midland be called Miterre mainly because Midland is Berserk's construction. I'll start to think of it as it's own thing.

Montebanc (Or was it Ferre? Or does it have all three names?) is the most medieval of the continents. Deprived of the technological advances common of House Orin and subject to age old demonic influences, Miterre (if accepted) is the worst example of the chaos that these few demons have wrought on the land. Without the protections of the Eldricth Knights of Montebanc's Divisions, Miterre succumbed to chaos. It's frequent sorties and ruthless highwayman make travel through the area for none but the bravest of warriors the peasant serfs that are forced to live on the lands of their liege lords.
Jul 14, 2017 1:53 am
I accept the change to Miterre! I feel good about that!

(Alternative pronunciation Metiere? How do you pronounce Miterre? Miterré? Míterre?)

In some quarters Caliban's Minotaurs are spoken of as being as bad as the bandits.
Jul 14, 2017 2:11 am
Me-ter-rey
Jul 15, 2017 3:16 am
Miterre sounds good. As per the starting post here, I've been assuming that Miterre (nee Midland) is a large section of the kingdom of Montebanc, which itself is at or near the center of the continent of Ferre. Would make sense if the Brink is located either completely or largely within Miterre.
Quote:
is the most medieval of the continents. Deprived of the technological advances common of House Orin
...huh. I guess it could be on its own continent away from Orin and Margin and the like; I've been assuming that everything except the desert is on Ferre but there aren't necessarily any major ties keeping Montebanc there.
Aug 7, 2017 6:16 pm
It can definitely be part of a larger continent. Midland was originally a composite of Midland from Berserk (Warring Mercenary State, Band of the Hawk -> Horns of the Minotaur) and the Vatican at the time of the Three Pope (hyper corrupt, pope is imprisoned by other pope). I like the Barrister-General idea and how that could ultimately fuel more corruption through litigious means. Look at the current state of our administration for examples of that.
Aug 7, 2017 6:36 pm
Sorry, I forgot to add that important part is that they have been ostracized by House Orin and Javed to the extent of being "backwater" as opposed to high tech fantasy.

It's interesting that the litigiousness of the society matches the Sage Background that Tacitus took.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.