Recruiting a new player?

Mar 15, 2018 10:54 pm
Hey everyone. It seems I have the opportunity to teach someone D&D thanks to a particular post talking about how cool it would be to play D&D with a blank character sheet and you fill it out with what the DM tells you such as if you roll a 7 and the DM tells you your result is 9 because of your +2 bonus to whatever. Then there's the part where the player asks the innkeeper if anything weird is going on in the area. The innkeeper makes a comment about Dragonborn being rare around there. Now the player knows something else about their character.
Anyway, you've probably seen the meme. My husband shared this with me and said, "This sounds like it would actually be quite fun!" Now, this man rarely plays video games and has always said that RPGs weren't his thing based on what he saw me and my friends do when playing.
I want to change that, but of course, I don't want to force him. I wondered if there were any suggestions, resources, or whatnot that people could point me toward? OR is this a horrible idea and I should just drop it now?
Thanks. :)
Last edited March 16, 2018 7:43 am
Mar 16, 2018 9:19 am
Hey, I got some of my friends into it recently. The worst part of getting them to play is the character creation; it's downright daunting at first. There are just way too many choices for someone who knows nothing about it! So you'd be cutting that out.
But I'd start them off playing an Arcane Trickster. They can mix it up in melee, but also have a little magic for fun and variety. Plus a lot of skills for same. That's my two cents.
Mar 16, 2018 10:12 am
Thanks! I'm wary to include much magic at first since the character sheet will be blank. Though I suppose I could just tell them they feel the power of the arcane ready to bend to their will.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.