Slowdown on GP?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 16, 2018 2:35 pm
For a few weeks now, it seems like it takes a few dozen seconds for any page to load.

Anyone else experiencing this sort of slowdown?
Mar 16, 2018 2:38 pm
Not regularly, but I'm experiencing it today. Other sites are loading quickly, but GP is glacial.
Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm
I know Keleth had mentioned something a few weeks ago (heck it may be a few months ago at this point) that he had to roll the site back to a previous version to allow for some future direction type stuff I thought. One of the downsides was that it was going to slow the site down until the "new" version of the site was able to go live.

Or maybe I'm misremembering, but I think that was it.

*goes to hunt for the post*
Mar 16, 2018 2:50 pm
same here...but I agree with kalajel that I do notice the site takes a few seconds to load usually.
Mar 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Yah, I've noticed this over the last two weeks. I've restarted the server when I've noticed the slowdown, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I've noticed the database is taking up a LOT of CPU (for example, from about 10-10:30 this morning, the CPU on the server was running at 100%), even though there's nothing that should be causing it. If anyone knows someone good with servers/database maintenance who may be able to help me figure out what's wrong, please do pass them my way.

I didn't mention it because I was hoping to fix it before it became a real problem :/
Mar 16, 2018 3:03 pm
What kinds of servers/database are we talking about?
Mar 16, 2018 3:05 pm
Naturax says:
Ubuntu 14, Apache using MySQL. I just noticed I never had the slow query logs turned on, and if it's because of poor queries, that easily explains the problem. The number of games has grown significantly in the last few months, and maybe GP is hitting that point where my initial code can't handle the new population...
Mar 16, 2018 3:11 pm
I have also noticed that the site is quite slow, but it seems like more than a couple weeks.
Mar 16, 2018 3:13 pm
Qralloq says:
I have also noticed that the site is quite slow, but it seems like more than a couple weeks.
Oh, I'm sure the problem has been going on a while, I just noticed recently.

I'm sorry to everyone about the problems. The quick solution is I amp up the server's configs; it'll cost a bit more, but until I can figure out how to fix everything, that may be the only option.
Mar 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Holy crap, turn on slow logs, find an instant answer. The part of the code that checks if you have a new post or not is what's REALLY slow. Problem is, I don't know how to fix it, meaning I need to rewrite the code, but I don't know to what.
Mar 16, 2018 3:46 pm
OMG Keleth, it's working great!
Mar 16, 2018 3:55 pm
Qralloq says:
OMG Keleth, it's working great!
Wait, what's working great? I haven't done anything... In fact, the graphs are pretty apocalyptic right now...
Mar 16, 2018 4:01 pm
OMG it's terrible again! haha - must have been a glitchy speed bump

Edit: The main page is slow, and the Latest Posts page is slow. But if you click to go to a specific post, that works great. It does seem like the process to sort through all of the posts to find a subset is inefficient.
Last edited March 16, 2018 4:03 pm
Mar 16, 2018 4:05 pm
Qralloq says:
OMG it's terrible again! haha - must have been a glitchy speed bump

Edit: The main page is slow, and the Latest Posts page is slow. But if you click to go to a specific post, that works great. It does seem like the process to sort through all of the posts to find a subset is inefficient.
Yah, any page where it has to look up if you have a few post to view is running slow, because the query that finds if you have a new post on the main forums is overloading the tables relating to last read.
Mar 19, 2018 4:49 am
I always the thought the main page being slow was because of Gleam.
Mar 19, 2018 11:38 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I always the thought the main page being slow was because of Gleam.
Great point, with the contest over, lemme remove that.
Apr 13, 2018 10:48 am
Is this already solved? I'd like to help with that query if needed.
Keleth says:
Naturax says:
Ubuntu 14, Apache using MySQL. I just noticed I never had the slow query logs turned on, and if it's because of poor queries, that easily explains the problem. The number of games has grown significantly in the last few months, and maybe GP is hitting that point where my initial code can't handle the new population...
How much RAM do you have in the server? And how much is MySQL consuming?
Apr 13, 2018 1:27 pm
Semplax says:
Is this already solved? I'd like to help with that query if needed.
Keleth says:
Naturax says:
How much RAM do you have in the server? And how much is MySQL consuming?
It's not a RAM issue, it's a CPU issue, due to one query in particular. It has to do with how the forum is modeled, and I can't think of how to improve it in the short term until I get caching and the like in place with the upgrade.
Apr 29, 2018 8:59 am
Has the site improved like a lot in the loading time of forums or it's just me?
Apr 29, 2018 4:36 pm
Semplax says:
Has the site improved like a lot in the loading time of forums or it's just me?
I still get some slowdowns, so I'm starting to wonder if the problem is not on my side...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.