D&D 5e: "Trial by Fire" Character Creation

Mar 20, 2018 3:24 am
On Facebook earlier I saw a type of character creation that sounded kind of interesting to me. The poster called it "Trial by Fire" and it goes as such:

* Roll 3d6 and drop the lowest for each Ability Score (so keep two of the dice | Min: 2, Average: 8.5, Max: 12)
* At every level up, add one to any Ability Score
* At every Ability Score Increase level for your class, take a feat rather than get the +2 to Ability Scores

I don't know how much fun it would really be, but I thought it might be cool to try out and wondered what your thoughts are on it.
Mar 20, 2018 5:16 am
Sounds fun as long as you actually get to level. Depending on the DM, you don't get to level often in PbP. I'd try it if you run it, Naatkinson! :-D

Len

Mar 20, 2018 6:26 am
Would love to see how this plays out!
Mar 20, 2018 12:23 pm
Hmm. Could certainly be interesting. It would also stand to prevent (if you stick with the raw) multiclassing in a lot of ways since people won't meet stat minimums for quite a few levels possibly.
Mar 20, 2018 1:01 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Sounds fun as long as you actually get to level. Depending on the DM, you don't get to level often in PbP. I'd try it if you run it, Naatkinson! :-D
Gosh, don't tempt me!
Mar 20, 2018 1:19 pm
I had another thought about starting this at level 0 and then moving up from there:

Pick one of three level 0 classes:
Warrior (proficiency in weapons and armor, d8 hit die)
Expert (More skill proficiencies, d6 hit die)
Adept (A couple of cantrips from a chosen caster class, d6 hit die)

As a benefit, you'd perhaps get to keep the initial hit points on top of the HP you gain when you become a level one plus a small bonus based on which level zero class you picked.

Example: Expert moves up to level one, gets to have one extra skill proficiency. Adept gets to have an extra cantrip. Something like that.
Mar 20, 2018 8:52 pm
So, I set up a game of this and invited Jabes, CancerMan, Len, and Drama :)

It will be public for those who may want to follow along!
Apr 5, 2018 12:02 am
It sounds like it would be fun. I would be interested if you would not mind a new player.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.