Gamer's Plane's First Game

Mar 29, 2014 12:01 pm
I have been following the development of Gamer's Plane for a long time and have played in or attempted to start games in every iteration of it thus far. I am glad to finally see what might be a stable version of the site that can be very successful if we start using it. I have up until this point been mostly bug hunting, but I believe Keleth has sorted out enough of the minor glitches we found to actually get a game going. I see several new members but very few posts. We need some games going and some updates / forum activity if were going to be successful. Since everyone else seems apprehensive about making the first splash I figured I would. I posted and deleted several games over the last few weeks to test various features of the site, but it is now time to put up a real game. I would like to ideally get 3 or 4 interested individuals before we begin ironing out details but I will list my ideas below. I am hoping to run this game live over skype, using the forum as a place for questions, record keeping, and out of character things, but we could run a forum game as well if we cannot sync our schedules. We can decide that once we have some potential players. Below are the games I am interested in running, we will also have to select which one as a group once we get a group together.

Legend of the Five Rings - A fantasy roleplaying game set in a fictional version of feudal japan. All characters are Samurai (nobility) but are no necessarily combat characters. The game features extremely lethal combat and punishes the rash player. It focuses heavily on roleplaying, specifically in the form of political and cultural interaction.

L5R Adventure Idea: A high ranking Shugenja (priest) and respected Shadowlands expert for the Crab clan disappears during the Crab Clan's winter court. The Crab clan's magistrates suspect foul play and tensions between the clans at the court are high. Crab is just looking for an excuse to start trouble with one of their many enemies, such as Crane, can the player characters sort it all out?

Iron Kingdoms - A steampunk fantasy roleplaying game showcasing giant steam-powered magical robots. The roleplaying game is based on the miniature wargame Warmachine, which in turn was based on the Iron Kingdoms D&D setting from back in the day. Game play is typical of fantasy adventure games, though can be more urban centric with firearms and steam technology playing a large role in society. Combat is swift and lethal but fairly tactical, every character selects two careers at chargen so characters are wildly diverse with a myriad of ability.

IK Adventure Idea: Having shared a mutual past with a man name Leroy Brownstone (planned prologue) the characters find a new job working for his Mercenary Charter Brownstone Security and Investigations. The company's first contract comes from the prestigious Corvis University when one of their scholar/explorer's, a noble woman name Elisa Ravenheart goes missing. All of this happens just a year after a pirate attack on the Ravenheart Estate in which a priceless relic found by Elisa was stolen.

Happy Birthday, Little Fears! - The 10 year anniversary edition of the game of childhood terror. Little Fears is a game about all the little things children fear that adults discount, only in this world those things are real and adults just cannot see it. In little fears you take on the role of a 5 - 12 year old child (younger being more fun and actually more powerful) who have to survive day to day against the horrors of closetland. This game is not for the easily offended, Player characters often die, many times gruesomely and (though I don't make much use of it) child abuse (including sexual) is a key theme in the game. Combat is lethal and is rarely a good idea, character are best fleeing, hiding, roleplaying, or using belief "magic" to get out of situations. Adult NPC's will always rationalize what children tell them or what they see, a child who disappeared at night after complaining about the monster in the closet was surely kidnapped by a criminal rather than dragged into closetland by an evil bunny.

HBLF Adventure Idea: Just entering the third grade the characters return from summer vacation. A new kid has just come to the school, he is small and weak and is immediately the target of bullying. He is pretty cool though, he always has a full back of candy for lunch, and it is the best candy you have ever had. The new kid gets his candy from a magical candy forest in his closet... All you can eat!

Airship Pirates - A fast paced rpg based on the song, yup I said songs, of the steampunk / goth band Abney Park. The band is a crazy amalgamation of Steampunk, folk, tribal, goth, post-apocalyptic, shanties? In the world described by their songs they go back in time in a time travelling airship that accidentally came to present day and crashed into the band's flight. The band ends up joining the crew and ultimately the lead singer becomes the captain. They travel through time righting the wrongs of history but when they return to present day and misjump to the future they find a really screwed up world. An evil dictator has taken over and corralled most of humanity into dirty victorian style walled cities. Genetically mutated beasts roam the wasteland and the few free humans left, nomadic tribes, and people living in flying cities are ruthlessly hunted by the Emperor who denies to his people they free people even exist. The characters are all important members of an airship pirate crew, the group designs their airship, has a crew, and ultimately gets a time travel device. Combat is fast, fun, and over the top. Swashbuckling heroics are encouraged, the world also has lots of roleplaying potential and is a dark and sinister place. And you can be a clockwork prostitute if you want to (lots of character options, almost all useful).

Airship Pirates Adventure Idea - After being thrown in the Change Cage (prison for innovators and repository of illegal technology) for almost recreating Doctor Calgori's Chrononautilus Device, Professor William Jenkins is rescued by an anonymous resistance group in the Cage City of Everglade. He flees and continues his work in the Skyfolk city of Neverpeak. Neverpeak has evaded the Emperor's fleet for years. The player are enjoying a raunchy comedy show aboard the Scarlet Princess (a visiting Cabaret / Whorehouse, actually a pirate ship that is currently docked at Neverpeak) when the Emperor's fleet show up to attack. They get caught up in the pirates' attempt to ferry Jenkins to safety and quite accidentally become a member of the crew of the Scarlet Princess.
Aug 28, 2014 11:29 am
Still completely interested in running a game here, recently signed on to Keleth's D&D game Sunken Secrets, but am still willing to run one of the above games. Not so interested in running the L5R game right now as its roleplaying style is intensive to run and I don't have the energy for that right now. Perfectly able to run the other ideas though, here on the forum as a pbp. Also would really like to run this following idea, as I have already run this game in person using this system so it would take less intensity on my part, plus I would like to see how a better group might play it out.

Numenera - A game by Monte Cook set in the far far far future of earth. Human civilization as we know it has collapsed and humanity in its current form extinct. Eight great civilizations have risen and fallen since ours. Each civilization lasted longer than the last and many of them have created wonderful technologies that humans of our time could never understand. Now a new civilization is rising from the ashes of the fall of the eighth. This new civilization is very human like (basically is humans) and is still in its early stages. Technology and society is at a basically medieval understanding yet it augmented by the various bits and bobs left over from previous societies. The world is left genetically altered, lush with technology that barely works and barely understood. Tiny nano robots continue to autonomously maintain much of the previous societies technology. Some people have a strange almost innate connection with the nano robots and a mental uplink with a satellite network they do not know even exists. These people called nanos can manipulate these things and perform miracles and magic. Great warriors are descendants of genetically modified experiments or have been infused with nano technology early and life making them capable of inhuman feats. Others get a bit of both worlds. You are one of these incredible individuals, you must struggle to survive in a ruthless upcoming civilization surrounded by incredible technology or numenera that very few understand. Newly evolved beasts, ancients robotic constructs, and strange genetic experiments from a world past stalk the land. Ancient unstable technologies are there to plunder, being used in ways never intended to improve the lives of your people, or conquer others.

Numenera Adventure Idea - The Human Hive is an civilization built in the half buried hull of an ancient spacecraft buried in the great wasteland known as The Golden Sea. You have always lived in the Hive though your ancestors crossed the Golden Sea after they were banished from their homeland many moons ago. Barely surviving the great prophet was guided here by visions of the gods. Upon discovering this shelter and the gods whose images were carved upon the walls of the great Hive the prophet settled here. For many generations your people have survived in this paradise, fed by hunting the beasts that roam the desert and by growing food in special chambers barely understood by the people. Given water by great machines that extract moisture from the atmosphere, but now those machines have failed, and the storage tanks are running low. You being one of the great and powerful individuals described above are selected personally by the Queen of the Hive to find water Beyond the Golden Sea and save your people.
Last edited August 28, 2014 11:30 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.