I'm new to DnD and I need some help lol

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 10, 2018 1:55 am
So as it is I still haven't played a game yet, I've watched many tutorials but it's still a bit daunting. I've also watched heroes and halfwits and it's a major part of my desire to play. One of my friends own the starter edition but he lost it and isn't motivated enough to find it. So I was hoping to gather enough tools, learn how to play, and run a really basic low resource adventure to get them into it. I want to play but I also want to run. My main question isn't much of a question its more of a call for help. The rules are vast and overwhelming and not knowing what I need makes it hard to gather the right stuff, if any of you have advice or anything that I may use id love it. Thank you
Last edited April 10, 2018 1:56 am
Apr 10, 2018 2:38 am
For starters, you pretty much only need the Players' Handbook, The Game Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual. Everything else is basically just icing on the cake...
Apr 10, 2018 3:41 am
5e is pretty tame compared to earlier versions! I think the number one rule of RPGs is... have fun with it. The rules only matter as much as you care about them. Sure, to play DnD by the rules takes a bit of time, but I recommend you take it incrementally. Learn how to make a character (the PHB has a great guide), learn how skills work, and learn the basics of combat, and take it from there. You've already unlocked an infinite number of stories, but from there you can be more complex: when do certain skills apply? What about magic items? How does cover work? Don't fret the details until you're ready for them. Just get started and figure it out from there.
Apr 10, 2018 4:59 am
If you just want to "get into it" without a lot of upfront cost, you can download the free PDFs of the basic rules. It has all you need to start running a D&D game.

Player Basic Rules
DM Basic Rules

DMing a game is an exercise in improvisation, certainly. In my experience, the understanding of player ability scores and skills allows you to cover maybe 50-75% of the game, while combat and the different actions take up the rest.
Apr 10, 2018 7:13 am
If you're looking to learn to PLAY 5e: I've seen several people in the last couple of days express the same interest, so I'm certain a game will pop up soon. I know Qralloq has said he's willing to start one.

If you're looking to learn to DM 5e: Check out the GM Mentoring Project.
Last edited April 10, 2018 9:30 am
Apr 10, 2018 8:45 am
kalajel says:
For starters, you pretty much only need the Players' Handbook, The Game Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual. Everything else is basically just icing on the cake...
To be honest all you need are the Starter Set and the Player's Handbook (aka PHB). The GM Guide and Monster Manual are only necessary down the line if you want to create your own campaign after finishing the one in the Starter Set. The Starter Set is aimed at people playing for the first time so has some more basic explanation of how the game works and guides you (as the GM) a bit more.

But to before you spend any money, check out the free "Basic Rules" PDFs mentioned above.
Last edited April 10, 2018 8:45 am
Apr 10, 2018 11:32 am
Thanks, guys this really helped!
Apr 10, 2018 6:12 pm
Just to echo notinventedhere, I've run a number of games for 5e, and I've never even seen a monster manual or the GM's book. The PHB is pretty complete, coupled with using a few of your daily ration of Googles.
Apr 17, 2018 9:48 am
Also, for just general learning the DMsBlock podcast is excellent. They talk about everything D&D 5e, in a very accessible and friendly way. Start at the beginning. I gained a lot of knowledge and confidence from them.
Apr 17, 2018 2:13 pm
marithyme says:
Also, for just general learning the DMsBlock podcast is excellent. They talk about everything D&D 5e, in a very accessible and friendly way. Start at the beginning. I gained a lot of knowledge and confidence from them.
I concur, its by far one of the best podcast's i've listend to
May 11, 2018 4:05 pm
Definitely listen to DMsBLock. You will not regret it as it's incredibly helpful and it's just a great podcast overall. I'd reccomend finding an actual play you like to listen to because that helped me understand the flow of the game.
Still very new to D&D myself. Only ran/played 8 games in RL and this is my first post here. Everyone on this thread has given good advice I think especially just having a look at the player hand book and moving a bit at a time. It's pretty simple once you're able to get your head around it.
May 15, 2018 11:19 pm
So, I never heard of DMsBlock until this thread. I went to the site, but I'm having some trouble finding a way to view an episode list or start with episode #1. Currently, it looks like I will have to scroll through dozens of pages clicking "Older episodes" until I'm back at the first podcast. I must be missing something. Anyone able to offer some help?
May 16, 2018 12:32 am
Quote:
Currently, it looks like I will have to scroll through dozens of pages clicking "Older episodes" until I'm back at the first podcast. I must be missing something. Anyone able to offer some help?
Depends on the software you are using to listen. I use Podcast Republic and in the settings you can set it to oldest first. That way you can listen in order. DMs Block is prolific. I still haven't listened to all the episodes! It is the Mt. Everest of dnd podcasts. So many wonderful episodes.
May 16, 2018 12:47 am
I'm not a podcast guy, so I don't use software. Are there any alternatives to using software to listen to their podcasts? Or is that the only feasible way to start from episode 1? Seems like poor site design on their part. :(
May 19, 2018 10:26 am
You can start anywhere that's just where the intro-est stuff is.

If you have a phone, all of them have podcast software already installed, I think.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.