Getting Started

Jul 31, 2015 1:15 pm
First time running a game on these forums, so I might get some of the technical stuff wrong. But I'll start things off with a thread here. My first question for you all: Have you played Dungeon World before?
Jul 31, 2015 1:36 pm
Hi there! Glad to be here!

I've played quite a bit of DW before and I glad someone is finally running a game on GP! Looking forward to it!

Cheers!
Jul 31, 2015 1:49 pm
I've played loads of DW as well!
Jul 31, 2015 1:54 pm
Well, I'm somewhat new to DDubs, so please give me some grace, but hopefully we'll have tons of fun regardless. Once we've filled up I'll start with some leading questions to get the game rolling. For now, do either of you know which class you'd like to play as?
Jul 31, 2015 2:26 pm
Wizard or cleric? But I'm open to any class at this point.
Jul 31, 2015 3:50 pm
I would like Druid or Bard. That is preference order, but I'm flexible.
Jul 31, 2015 6:22 pm
Hello all. It's a bit reckless of me joining this game, as I'm about to go on holiday for three weeks to an area with patchy Internet, but I'll try my best to get connected, and hopefully will be able to post daily or thereabouts. If things look dire, I'll let you know asap and you can replace me :-(

I've not played Dungeon World before or any of the related games. But I've already read a decent chunk of the book, and am fascinated by the approach.

I'd like to play a thief!

Edit: I've checked and the village I'm going to has recently got 3G internet access, so fingers crossed I'll be able to participate fully, allowing a couple of days for travel and technical issues.
Last edited July 31, 2015 6:53 pm
Aug 1, 2015 2:44 am
I had some time on my hands so I went ahead and created a Cleric character sheet. It's one of the few core classes I have yet to play!
Aug 1, 2015 5:44 am
Awesome! Most of you know the deal with Dungeon World, so I'll skip that introductory bit. Now that everybody's in here, I'd like to start asking a few questions to get the ball rolling. First let's flesh out our quest a little:

Moofsalot: Why has your temple tolerated the twisted darkness of the Warlock's Wood until now?
harlandski: How did you first hear about the great treasure in the ruins deep within the Warlock's Wood?
foolsmask: What superstition about the Warlock's Wood holds truth?
Jabes.plays.RPG: What will happen if you don't return with the Queen's Heart?
Aug 1, 2015 1:04 pm
Would it help to start a new thread for world-building so it can all be in one place?
Aug 1, 2015 2:34 pm
You're probably right. Sorry, still new to this!
Aug 2, 2015 7:34 pm
This game system is so awesome I wouldn't mind playing any class! But I've never played a bard in DW (or in any other game system for that matter) so maybe I'll take a crack at that :-)

I've been clamoring for DW to be featured on GP but to be honest I wasn't sure how well DW would work in PbP. DW involves so much back and forth between GM & player, with the player never mentioning the moves by their names but rather just describing what they're doing and then it's up to the GM to call the move and then the player rolls. Like I said there's a lot of back and forth, especially with 7-9's. It would take FOREVER for that to go down in PbP if we did it exactly like we would in a live game! What I've seen on another forum is the GM said go ahead and roll as you see fit after your description and then if we ever need to, we'll go back and arbitrate. That seems to be working okay over there but I'm curious how Hello_Newman plans to run this. In any case I'm sure it will be a blast! :-) I'm looking forward to our adventure! Cheers!
Aug 3, 2015 5:25 am
That was my plan. Since you guys have some experience with DW, it should be a little bit easier for you to anticipate when a roll may be required. After it's resolved, we can figure out what happens. I might even decide that a roll wasn't needed and follow the fiction accordingly, ignoring the result.

I will admit that I had some reservations about DW PbP. Like you say, at its heart, DW is a conversation, sometimes a rapid-fire one at that. I see our game here to be a more narrative driven experience; we have the luxury of time to describe our characters actions, ambitions, and emotions without worrying about hogging the limelight as we would in a typical conversation. So feel free to overdramatize stuff. Not to say that every post needs to be a novel, of course.
Aug 3, 2015 2:29 pm
Hello @everyone. I just wanted to check in and say I have arrived at my holiday destination, secured a tolerable internet connection, and am really looking forward to this game! However, I am pretty sleep deprived right now, so unable to give character creation the right amount of energy until tomorrow.
I read your discussion of how to run a DW game online. What you have said makes sense, mabye with the possibility of some retconning if for example the GM thinks a failed roll wasn't necessary, resulting in success after all. Edit; Oh hang on, you said that. Very tired, brain not working! :-)
Last edited August 3, 2015 2:32 pm
Aug 3, 2015 2:29 pm
I am a DW pbp veteran. It's great in that format! I find what works for me is writing in first person and describing my character's thought process before she makes a move and then rolling what I deem to be appropriate for the situation. That way, if it's wrong or does not require a roll, the GM can still move the situation forward.
Aug 3, 2015 5:59 pm
Great to hear you can be with us, harlandski! I'll figure out a template for characters, moofsalot submitted one that looks good so I might just use that. For now we're still just establishing premise and setting so no rush!
Aug 8, 2015 3:39 pm
A bit confused - should I be making a character right now, and be submitting a character sheet, or should I wait until we've finished with the worldbuilding? I have a character concept in mind, thought it's changing a little with my answers to the worldbuilding questions.
Aug 8, 2015 4:46 pm
I created a somewhat generic character which I intend to flesh out or tweak gradually as we go along world-building :-)
Aug 9, 2015 4:36 am
No worries about having a character sheet just yet. After this round of questions are answered I'll be moving on to some bonds-related questions, so that will probably affect your sheet! Once we have some bonds I think we can move pretty quickly onto action!
Aug 11, 2015 3:28 pm
I decided my tone was too grimdark so I revised my answer to your last question.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.