Chapter 2, Day 12

Apr 17, 2018 3:00 am
You wake in the morning feeling rested and refreshed. You gather your things and bid farewell to the elves, who thank you again for your help and reassure you that in the next day or two your requested items will be delivered by owl rider. A mystic from the clan gives Paws a small gemstone on a thin black cord, "This will help us find you. Be safe."

You set out on the road, aiming to get out of the marshland as swiftly as possible. At the elves recommendation you head for the Rhest Trail, which is an easier passage south than walking through the Witchwoods. The elves informed you that once you reach the first river you will either be forced to trek directly through the woods if you insist on heading straight to your goal, or detour eastward and follow the trail until it the Witchcross, at which point you should take the west fork to Talar (the eastfork leads directly to Brindol).

Unfortunately, about an hour after you leave the elven camp, your plan for a quick departure is halted when you spot a thin plume of black smoke on rising from ahead of you. Following the smoke down you see, about a thousand meters ahead of you, a wooden blocked has been erected on the road. The smoke is coming from what is probably a cookfire. You see figures standing atop the blockade, but from this distance can't quite make out who, or what, they are other than humanoid.
Apr 17, 2018 4:59 am
"Doubt the elves want to block people from using the road," says Pawetha as she tucks the gemstone under her shirt and removes her pack. "But is it a Red Hand thing? Wait here; I'm going to check it out." She scuttles forward, trying to use cover and the natural environs to mask her approach.
OOC:
Using Natural Explorer to move Stealthily at a normal pace.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(20) + 6 = 26

Apr 17, 2018 4:59 am
"I'm gonna go take a look." I silently move forward, using the trees as cover as I try to figure out the situation ahead.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Stealth - (1d20+9)

(15) + 9 = 24

Apr 17, 2018 5:00 am
"Okay. We're going to take a look," Pawetha says in correction.
Apr 17, 2018 5:05 am
I give Paws the signal- I go right, she goes left.
Apr 17, 2018 5:08 am
Pawetha gives Xara the signal - Whose left? That left? Okay.
Apr 17, 2018 5:21 am
Up ahead a crude, ten-foot palisade of logs has been erected across the road, extending forty feet to either side and completely blocking all passage. A squat, twenty-foot tall watchtower looms in the middle of the palisade. The road ends at a large set of double doors in the base of the tower. You catch a glimpse of movement up in the tower and spy a hobgoblin archer leaning against a post, chin on his chest.
Apr 17, 2018 6:19 pm
It's troubling that the Red Hand might have already established outposts such as this. He says quietly to the remainder of the group as they wait for Paws and Xara to return.
Apr 17, 2018 6:50 pm
Pawetha tries to see if she can count how many hobgoblins or other humanoids might be in the area. She takes her time, concentrating on her surroundings, eyeing any visible tracks, gauging the cooking fires and the estimated size of the tower and blockade. She opens her other senses to discern any presence of her foe, sniffing the air for their scent and listening for their footfalls and voices.
OOC:
Using Primeval Awareness on Favored Enemy: Humanoids.
[ +- ] Primeval Awareness on Favored Enemy
Apr 17, 2018 7:02 pm
Pawetha determines that there are eight hobgoblins and two ogres stationed here. She can only see the one hobgoblin on the top of the watchtower. The others, including the ogres, are probably inside.
Apr 17, 2018 7:03 pm
I look around for a good spot to start a fire. Ideally somewhere I won’t be noticed.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Apr 17, 2018 7:11 pm
OOC:
What's the goal/purpose of this fire?
Apr 17, 2018 7:19 pm
OOC:
Can’t a girl just start a fire for funsies? She’s looking to try and set the barrier on fire, but is also open to setting something else on fire nearby as a distraction.
Apr 17, 2018 10:14 pm
OOC:
Of course she can!
The ground is pretty damp, and the logs the palisade is made out of, from this distance, doesn't look particularly dry. A small fire probably won't get it to start up. A fire anywhere might catch the attention of the guards. There are a few trees scattered along the sides of the road such a distraction could be concealed behind.
Apr 18, 2018 12:12 pm
Kaiakas waits for Paws to return before they formulate a plan. He watches Xara with mild amusement.
Apr 19, 2018 3:13 am
After a minute or two concentrating on the area, Pawetha glances around to see if there's further movement from the flanks. She then tries to make her way back to the others.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Apr 19, 2018 4:42 am
Disappointed in the wet ground and the partially fire-resistant looking logs (who'd they get to build that thing anyway?) I take a closer look at the guards and see if I recognize anyone.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Apr 27, 2018 8:18 pm
Returning to the group, Pawetha passes along her findings. "Don't know if we can take out that lone guard up top without drawing attention, but it's a solid bet that these are Red Handers. They've got some muscle, too."
Apr 27, 2018 8:22 pm
Xara doesn't recognize the guard, he's a hobgoblin. Paws detects no movement outside the barraicade.
Apr 28, 2018 1:04 pm
Kaiakas thinks on this for a moment. "Is there any way we can take out the tower guard quietly? Paws, you have a bow. Do we have enough ranged firepower Between all of us?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.