Cthulhu Madness - A Matrix Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 7, 2015 11:14 am
NEW GAME

I've been running Matrix Games for a long time. You might have played in one at Origins or Gen Con. I'm ready to get back into on line play. Did a lot of them ten or more years ago. Now I need some players to start it up again.

Post to this thread if you are interested in joining. This will be a quick game I imagine it will only take a week or two.

I've included a gloss of the rules and the scenario. This is a story telling game so we will make a lot of stuff up.

Chris Engle

MATRIX GAME RULES

Here is how to play online...

Pick a character, location or something unknown and say what happens.
There is no order of play. When you have an idea, post it.
You can change what the last player said. Your post over writes theirs.
If you don't like what the last player said you may roll for it.
Roll 2d6, 7+ means it happens and cannot be changed, 6 or less means it does not happen and will not happen in that scene.
You say where people move and what people say. Nothing happens in the game except what you say.
The game ends when the players solve the opening problem.

The player who starts the game is the game host.
The host picks 6 characters, 3 locations and presents the players a problem to solve through play.
The host may veto any action they deem inappropriate. Use this sparingly!
Any player may ask the host to veto something but the host doesn't have to do so.
The host facilitates play. Point out interesting, important points. Encourage. Ask "What happens next?" And wait for the players to answer.
The host is also a player.

The game is a conversation between the players. Check the forum at least once a day and try to limit yourself to only posting a few times a day so no one is left behind.

CTHULHU MADNESSES

"Bad grades at Miskatonic University"

Professor Armitage is holding a colloquium on occult artifacts. A new shipment of dig finds has arrived from Egypt. Something bad is going to happen...

Problem: What terrible thing comes from the artifacts? How will the heroes stop it?

Characters: Professor Armitage, Mary the good Christian girl, Lulu the party girl, Biff the football player, Barney the lab assistant, Karl the janitor, and Professor Brewster the rival.

Locations: The events of the game start in Professor Armitage's archeology lab on the Miskatonic University campus in Arkham MA. Action can go anywhere else the players like but Armitage's home and the Soda Fountain/Pharmacy are two other important locations.

Setting: The game is set on a US college campus in 1928.

Opening scene: Professor Armitage and the kids are working in his lab late Friday night. They are inventorying the new artifacts. Biff holds up a sparkling scarab. It gives him a woosie feeling. "Hey Professor, what is this?"

Now as game host I put it to you, "What happens next?"
Aug 7, 2015 11:36 am
This is really interesting! I'm interested in participating. So there are no character stats or anything? Are you starting an actual game thread or is the game happening right here in the Tavern?
Aug 7, 2015 1:58 pm
If games of this style typically only last a few weeks, maybe creating a game called "Story Telling Games" and creating threads/subforums in that would work best. If not, maybe I can look into creating a subforum for storytelling games, games that require no characters and are just freeflow. This is an interesting scenario I haven't thought of.
Aug 7, 2015 11:33 pm
How do I start a game thread for "Cthulhu Madness: Story Telling Game." Once I have one thread open we can start new games there's easily.

I know it's different not having character sheets or stats but that speeds up the game so much.

Let's see how many people we can collect this weekend and get started next week.
Aug 8, 2015 4:34 am
There's no direct "game thread" on Gamers' Plane. If you click on the games link in the top menu, you'll see the "My Games" page. You'll see a link for "Create a New Game". You can setup a game there, and it will create a forum for your game. As I mentioned in the post above, as you're looking to run short games, you may want to create a generic game name, and reuse the same game for multiple sessions. You can use the "Generic" system, and just accept players, not requiring them to submit characters. Also, weekends are the slowest time for Gamers' Plane right now, so you're unlikely to get too many signups over the next two days.
Aug 8, 2015 12:57 pm
Cool! I'll get the game set up and give more time for recruitment.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.