Easy way to get gently introduced to PbP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 24, 2018 9:28 am
Old school pen and paper RPGer but haven’t a clue about PbP and haven’t gamed for over twenty years!!

So a bit apprehensive about dipping my toe back in the water and PbP in general is there a nice gentle way for noob to ease into this whole thing?

Anybody else been through the same kind of experience have any advice?
Last edited May 24, 2018 9:29 am
May 24, 2018 10:16 am
Hi, whiplash! Seeing as you have experience with PBM, you ahould have no trouble at all getting into PbP! Some suggestions:

1. Check out the New GP Member Guide for advice on how GamersPlane works.
2. Make sure to set up your LFG (instructions in the above guide) so the site knows what game systems you're keen on and can notify you.
3. Watch the Games Tavern. New games pop up all the time, and most GM's will advertise.
4. Join a game right now! You can play or observe. There are a few games that are currently accepting players. Off the top of my head there's D&D Boot Camp, Arina's Mega Game, and Venatus: Wear Marches, and those are just the D&D5e ones!
5. Don't hesitate to ask (obviously you already have asked and that's great). Everyone here is super helpful and will be more than happy to assist.
6. If you're on Discord you can join the GP channel for some live chat too!

Hope that helps! Cheers!
Last edited May 24, 2018 10:25 am
May 24, 2018 11:04 am
I believe some games are set to public while others are set to private. In between steps two and three from Jabes, delve into some of the public games to read how they play. Reading some of the games in action is a great way to get a feel for how it works around here.
May 24, 2018 2:31 pm
Thanks Jabes & Linus. Really helpful - and friendly!! Thanks.
Jun 16, 2018 1:18 pm
Welcome Whiplash, I used to run PBMs once tabletop was no longer feasible and my transition to pbp was simple enough. What kind of games do you enjoy? I’ve always treated to run some old school stuff but not got around to once Cthulhu got his tentacles grip on me.
Jun 18, 2018 2:49 am
Welcome! I also had years of experience before turning to PbP. I empathize fully with your situation. There's a lot of different stuff that gets run on here, and so you should be able to fin something.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.