New Member Intro

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 20, 2018 6:39 pm
Hi everyone, I may be looking to start or join a PBP game soon (holding back while I wait to see how busy I'm going to be IRL before I make any commitments)

Glad I found Gamers Plane. I have a couple of questions. How active would you say the site's community is? And does anyone know any software or services that are similar to Roll20 but for play-by-post games in mind? Thanks.
Jul 20, 2018 6:47 pm
Hey there! From what I've seen, it's a pretty active community for the most part. As with most forum sites, there are waves of activity that come and go. As for software and services, what in particular are you looking for? GP itself has a fair amount of functionality in terms of decks and dice rolling, along with the ability to do spoilers and the like.

As for mapping and things, GP needs to you have the image where you can get a URL. I tend to use Postimages.org for all of my photo uploading needs (it has a free account so you can access your photos down the road, for one offs, you can upload without an account). Depending on the game, I will use Roll20 to create maps that I can share as images, though I know others use things like Google Sheets for that same purpose.

Beyond that, it would largely depend on what kind of functionality you're looking to find.

Finally, welcome to the site! What systems are you interested in joining or running?
Jul 20, 2018 6:53 pm
I have been using google drawings...its pretty simple to use and I can manipulate the tokens I place via my phone as long as I use the Puffin web browser.

I lay down map images and layer blackouts and monster tokens as well as character tokens.
Jul 20, 2018 8:21 pm
Thanks for the replies. No definite plans yet, but I am very interested in playing or running a game with The Expanse RPG by Green Ronin Publishing. The kickstarter is due out in a couple of days, and anyone that backs it will get the PDF copy instantly. I'm also following Tachyon Squadron, using the Fate system and Stars Without Number.

Not doing a lot with D&D these days (though I do like it), so I'd be open to the right game.

I like the map suggestions. That's basically what I was looking for, so I'd have the option to play out tactical battles, which I know can be tricky given the PBP format.
Last edited July 20, 2018 8:24 pm
Jul 20, 2018 9:16 pm
Welcome PBP_Gamer! I'm really proud of the community that's built up here at GP. We have a core active group, but in general, our games are pretty active. Of course, like any PbP site, it depends on the game and the people. As for tools, I've tried to build in a lot of features, and I hope to keep adding to it, like more integrated character sheets and eventually, mapping.
Jul 20, 2018 10:21 pm
Welcome!
Jul 20, 2018 10:38 pm
Hi and welcome. Speaking as someone who also has a fairly hectic schedule IRL I've found Gamersplane to be fantastic at scratching the RPG itch around my other commitments. For mapping in one of the recent games I'm running I used screenshots of Powerpoint slides for showing positioning in one fight but the current combat I'm using Roll20 and just updating the map as my players post and linking screenshots from it for ease of reference for everyone.
Oct 16, 2018 8:47 am
Hello, every one. Well, I am new to this.
Oct 16, 2018 10:55 am
Welcome Priscilla. Why not start your own thread and tell us about yourself and what games you like?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.