Writing Workshop?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 15, 2018 3:34 pm
Qralloq says:
I'm at a writer's conference this weekend, trying to learn stuff and maybe flog my book. Might be able to post, but feel free to move my characters into awkward situations.
Qralloq posted that to the Absences thread, and it sparked an idea in my head. I want to be a better writer so I can be a better roleplayer (among other reasons). I know for a fact we have published authors in our midst. Even if there weren't I have seen some truly phenomenal writing on this site. So if someone were to conduct a writing workshop I would sign up in a heartbeat! I wonder if this idea is of interest to anyone else?
Last edited August 15, 2018 3:39 pm
Aug 15, 2018 3:44 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Qralloq says:
I'm at a writer's conference this weekend, trying to learn stuff and maybe flog my book. Might be able to post, but feel free to move my characters into awkward situations.
Qralloq posted that to the Absences thread, and it sparked an idea in my head. I want to be a better writer so I can be a better roleplayer (among other reasons). I know for a fact we have published authors in our midst. Even if there weren't I have seen some truly phenomenal writing on this site. So if someone were to conduct a writing workshop I would sign up in a heartbeat! I wonder if this idea is of interest to anyone else?
I would totally sign up for this!
Aug 15, 2018 3:59 pm
Depending on the schedule, I would be all in for this. Virtual would get more people, but even traveling somewhere might not be out of the question.
Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm
And I'm not just talking composition either. Even basic stuff as spelling and basic grammar. Take me for example: English is not my first language. I sometimes get prepositions wrong, and I know I often misuse commas. I would jump at the chance to remedy all of that.

It wouldn't even have to be a student-teacher setup. Workshoppers would critique each other. We just need someone with a bit of expertise to facilitate. I wouldn't know the first thing about it.
Aug 15, 2018 4:02 pm
Linus says:
Depending on the schedule, I would be all in for this. Virtual would get more people, but even traveling somewhere might not be out of the question.
I was thinking right here on GP. Mainly because I live clear across the globe haha!
Aug 15, 2018 4:33 pm
Color me interested. I'm in no position to teach, but I do want to improve my writing.
Aug 15, 2018 4:59 pm
I'm interested in this too. I'm a mediocre writer at best (sorry in advance to my players and fellow adventurers!!), and would love opportunities to improve.
Aug 15, 2018 5:10 pm
I'd be interested too. There's always room for improvement.
Aug 15, 2018 6:44 pm
As the person mentioned in Jabes' opening remarks, I'm interested as well. I go to writers' conferences because, even as a published author, it is a life long learning journey. I don't know that I have a the skillset to teach better English grammar, but whatever I can do to help, I'm available.

I suppose the first step would be to identify specifically what you (we) want to learn.

Edit: One suggestion would fall into the lines of opening a conversation on best practices in play-by-post posting, either as a GM setting up a scene and generating tension, or as a player in describing actions within the context of a scene or interaction.
Last edited August 15, 2018 7:03 pm
Aug 15, 2018 7:05 pm
In PbP I think one of the most useful skills is learning to be more descriptive. Maybe building up that skill would be a good starting point.

Grammar and spelling maybe in the form of corrections rather than being the actual "lesson".
Aug 15, 2018 7:06 pm
Quote:
Edit: One suggestion would fall into the lines of opening a conversation on best practices in play-by-post posting, either as a GM setting up a scene and generating tension, or as a player in describing actions within the context of a scene or interaction.
YES! THIS!
Aug 15, 2018 7:13 pm
I'd actually suggest we set something up on the Discord server for GP. Perhaps here we can hash out the goals, but maybe on the server we discuss them in real time?

I love to write, but I rarely ever try and publish anything. Since there's clearly support for the idea, maybe what we could do would be, as Qralloq said, establish some priorities.

For myself, I need another set of eyes (or two or four!) to help me polish what I've already got down on paper. I get stuck on the editing phase of things, especially for stuff that pertains to TTRPGs.

I also think what we would be extremely worthwhile would be to establish a few ground rules, and set up some partnerships. Who'd be willing to work with who?

As an aside, out here in the real world I'm a librarian. If anyone needs help finding resources, let me know. (Within reason, of course!)
Aug 15, 2018 7:19 pm
I'll create a Discord channel for this when I get home. Either via text or a virtual class over Discord, this sounds great. And if it gets recorded, we can put it up on GP.
Aug 15, 2018 7:21 pm
I created a game here on the site called Writing Workshop. I think given the format of the site and the audience, it's probably the best course of action. Plus, it's kind of set up nicely with GMs and Players and such.

The only problem right now is that I'm not skilled yet in working the controls for game owners. I'll send an invite to everyone in this thread and anyone else that expresses interest. We can discuss there how to format the different forums, goals, etc.

--------

I sent invites to each of the people in this thead, but it may take a while. See if this link works.

https://gamersplane.com/games/1280/
Last edited August 15, 2018 7:27 pm
Aug 15, 2018 11:12 pm
Hi,

Can I get an invite?
Aug 15, 2018 11:18 pm
invite sent

Len

Aug 17, 2018 7:07 am
Woah this is awesome. I love the idea of a bunch of roleplayers striving to do their craft better. Can I join?
Aug 17, 2018 8:15 am
Of course, Len! This is for everyone. For me you are one of the better writers in the community but as Qralloq said, it is a life long learning journey.
Aug 17, 2018 10:51 pm
This is the best. I love GP just for the ability to write my RP. If there is room.....
Sep 19, 2018 2:28 am
May I join up? I'm getting back into writing short fiction after not working on it for years and I could use some readers. I'd also like to craft my own RP settings and run games on here or in real life some point and could use some pointers or just exposure to conversations about that kind of thing.
Last edited September 19, 2018 2:28 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.