Chapter 1 - The City

Sep 3, 2015 2:30 am
http://www.cgarchitect.com/content/portfolioitems/2012/08/58913/nemo_studio_large.jpg

You pull into the parking lot across the street and see the rest of the group is already there. Each of you has gone through this routine dozens of times. It looks like you all arrived before Tim this time. Hoping that he didn't forget again you check your phone for the time every few minutes until you see his Dodge Neon pull up to the spot next to everyone else. He gets out, grabs his bag and walks over, "Hey guys, sorry I'm late. Looks like the traffic on the interstate was pretty bad. I think it's people going to the park for that meteor shower tonight." He leads the group across the street to the office.

"Everyone remember where we left off? I think Jacob, you were...", his voice trails, mostly because you stop listening. You are preoccupied with looking around to see if anyone is watching you. Tim always said he had legit access to the offices after hours, but somehow you never quite believed him. You don't complain much. You have a great place to game with vending machines and all of the amenities.

After getting in through the stairwell exit with a key Tim has you go up to the third floor and he opens up the big conference room. It's got the big long oak conference table. The hiring manager seemed overly proud of the fact that the table was pure oak. You understand why you instantly hated that hiring manager.

The full-length windows give you a good view over the other couple of squat buildings around. Laracaster isn't a terrible town, just fairly small and uninteresting. You can see the overpriced and under featured zoo about a mile south of you. It's almost entirely surrounded by chain outlet stores and big-box retailers. The view even affords you views of the police station and fire station to the south east. You can even see the hospital that is clear across town from up here. When you see the city at night like this, lit up, you almost think it's actually kind of nice.

As Tim comes back in to the conference room he starts setting up the campaign notes he has and getting out his DM screen. He even gets out that damn voice recorder. Still trying to get that live play podcast going, you've recorded like ten of these sessions and he hasn't released a single episode. Whatever. It's game time.

"Alright, lets do the quick introduction part first," Tim says as he flicks on the recorder, "Alright state your name, and your character name, give us a short few sentence intro and we can get started."

[ GM: Any time I need to point out a particular part of the story that I need to highlight in a GM note it will look like this. For now this is the start to the story and feel free to just be creative with this part. ]
Sep 3, 2015 3:33 am
Kel is elated to be back into gaming live again. His job as a planner is easy enough, and most of the people in his team think what he does all day is 'magic' enough to allow him to work on gaming material throughout the workday. Printing was easy, before or after hours - and he'd even gotten the company print shop to print a ring-bound rulebook for him - they didn't even notice...

Tim seemed like a good guy, Kel didn't really work with him that much but knew he was a gamer the minute he saw him. The others, he had seen in the office but hadn't really gotten to know at all. When Tim's request came and nobody jumped immediately, Kel stepped it.

"Hi...Kel from Program Purchasing - I'll be playing Gilly, a human rogue....he's avoided joining the thieves guild and is a petty criminal at this stage. Specialized in pick pocketing and breaking and entering. Not a really violent criminal....keeps quiet ...is socking his money away for something...undisclosed at this point... He's balding, but lets the remaining hair grow - probably too long and wears a dark grey cloak with a hood. I'm not sure how I know the others..."

Kel take a sip of his Coke Zero and pops a single almond in his mouth and waits for someone else to talk.
Sep 3, 2015 8:22 am
"Hey, Kel. Hey, everybody: I'm Howard. I'm Delfina Rose's administrator over in Sundries." Howard shuffles through his laptop bag, looking for his characters. Feeling bad about himself, he has a tendency to play righteous paladins and stalwart heroes. This time, he's deciding to step a bit out of his comfort zone, so he pulls out a dwarven ranger whose primary characteristic is that he speaks not in a Scottish accent like every other dwarf in every other game ever, but instead sounds a great deal like Cheech Marin. He uses this to blow off some steam, trying to get the group laughing so he can feel comfortable.

"Hey, Gilly! You might not remember me, but I remember you from back in the day! First time I came into this town, these humans were like, 'let's start some crap with that dwarf.' They said 'Hey, Plagmor Escuela, we don't think you're a ranger at all. You're too little!' They were all ready to beat me up, and then Gilly here steps up and says 'Hey guys, this guy's OK. I saw him beat the hell out of some gnolls this one time - he's definitely a ranger!' This guy, this Gilly, he could have kept quiet, he could have minded his own business, but instead he stood up for me, man. I appreciate it, and I'll never forget it. I'll never forget how they beat the crap out of both of us after that. But that day, man, whether you remember it or not, you earned the gratitude of a dwarven ranger that day."

Having finished setting out his dice, books, and pencils, Howard takes an index card, folds it in half, writes "PLAGMOR ESCUELA" on one side, and stands it in front of him. Then as the others introduce their characters, he proceeds to set out some chips and salsa on the table for everyone.

(edit: posting as Howard, rather than player)
Last edited September 3, 2015 4:19 pm
Sep 3, 2015 2:20 pm
Kel likes Howard already...he follows suit and does a name card. Adding his AC and HP to it too, to ease the DM's burden.

"Yeah! How's it going man?" he says in Gilly's slightly southern accent. "Gilly buys a round for the dwarf and himself" he says to the GM as he turns to hear the other players' intros.

He glances over to the chips. He's been doing great at getting his blood sugar levels down eating low carb - but man, does he miss salty snacks like chips and salsa. To get his mind off the generous and delicious offering of Howard's, he opens his roasted almonds and eats one. He doesn't offer them up, however, as he only has so much and the session could go long.
Sep 3, 2015 9:49 pm
"Hey everyone, I'm Jacob from IT.

*waits for everyone to stop booing*

"Yeah, yeah. I don't make the rules when it comes to the firewalls, I just enforce them. Anyway, Juliska is a Siren from the north of the continent who is in a never ending search to find other Sirens. But so far all she has found is a lot of trouble with you two! She specializes in crowd control, not necessarily killing or damaging opponents, but just making their life terribly difficult while the other members of her party kill and damage them."

Not wanting to be left out, Jacob quickly sets up a name card for Juliska - "JULISKA VILMOS - SIREN" - and then leans back in his chair.
Last edited September 3, 2015 10:03 pm
Sep 3, 2015 10:36 pm
Howard looks through his notes and reads a bit about Sirens, idly trying to remember the problem he was having with his laptop's display settings the other day. Jacob would totally be the person to ask for help...
Sep 3, 2015 11:39 pm
Kel wonders if Jacob can remove Dropbox from the company's banned site list as he pulls out his dice bag that his wife knit for him and gets out his favorite precision edge 'Zocchi' dice.
Sep 4, 2015 8:24 am
"Hey guys, I'm Andrew. I work in maintenance, and can I just say I'm so excited to be playing today, it's been far too long."
Andrew pulls out his character sheet, dice, and pencils, then arranges them meticulously in front of himself.
"My character's name is Dyson, he's a human fighter. He's got dark skin, dark eyes, and doesn't say much. He specializes in fighting with spear and sword, and you can tell by the symbols painted on his armor he's a member of the Legion. He orders a mug of ale and sits at the bar, staring into his mug and unsettling the poor barkeep. "
As Andrew follows suit and makes an index card name card for Dyson, his stomach rumbles and he gleefully partakes of the chips and salsa, thanking Howard with a big smile.
Sep 4, 2015 4:58 pm
After the introductions the awkwardness lessens a bit and you start on the campaign. About an hour in, just as your party is about to cut down a a tribe of Kobolds that have been raiding a small village, an alarm on Tim's phone sounds. He quickly turns it off, noting he, "...decided to set a timer for the meteor shower in case anyone was interested. It would be a good spot to see it up here."

As you all glance at the full-length windows lining the entire external wall of the conference room you do indeed see a few streaks in the sky. Nothing much out of the ordinary, but at least there is a great view from up here.

You notice a few brighter streaks among the many, and they are starting to fill the sky. The view of it is actually quite spectacular as soon the night sky is lit up with streaking tracers of light. You had heard this was going to be quite a shower, but haven't seen one this amazing before. You see a strong streak of light that crosses through the sky and suddenly you see it impact in the distance. Had to be at least 60-70 miles away but it made a bright flash as it hit the distant landscape.

"That's certainly going to make the news. Meteors hitting down like that is pretty rare", Tim says, smiling.

An instant later you see another streak, incredibly bright. It shoots towards the ground. Close. Too close. It impacts the ground just south of the Hospital across town. You see it hit down, fire, a large explosion, then you feel the shockwave rumble your building, even this far away.

As the event unfolds, almost in slow motion, another wave of force crashes into the side of the building with enough force to shatter the outer pane of some of the windows. The floor shakes a little harder. As you take this all in, another distant explosion rings out and you see a plume of dust and debris rising from across town.

The smile fades from Tim's face as what he is seeing registers on his face.
Sep 4, 2015 5:11 pm
"Holy shit!" Kel exclaims backing away from the window. "We should get somewhere..safe..." He looks back out to the window as he packs his bags.
Sep 4, 2015 5:19 pm
Stuffing his laptop back into his bag and grabbing his phone Jacob yells "Basement!?" and heads for the door. He stops, runs back to the table, grabs his Dalek figure, and jams it into his pocket. '"Can't forget that!"
Sep 4, 2015 5:43 pm
Tim stares out the window a moment longer, still not quite believing the scene he is seeing. After hearing Jacob shout basement Tim snaps out of it and starts packing his own bag as well. "Um, yeah, the stairs are just out of the office to the left," he says, his voice a bit shaken. He stops the recording and shoves the recorder into his bag as well and heads out with everyone else.
Sep 4, 2015 7:06 pm
As they walk, Kelly pulls out his phone to call his wife. "I wonder if there will be a signal?" he thinks out loud.
Sep 4, 2015 7:14 pm
Kel:
You appear to be receiving a signal still and when you call your wife she picks up and starts quickly spouting off a lot at once. "Where are you? Are you safe? What was that? I see smoke and fire coming from the city. What happened? The power is out in the house. It looks like the whole neighborhood is out. The whole house shook. That vase your mother gave us fell off the shelf and broke...", after a few minutes you finally manage to get a word in.
Sep 4, 2015 7:23 pm
"Hon, it's some sort of meteorite shower, just get the kids and get in the basement...It's pretty bad here, but we're ok.. I'll get home when I can, but there could be lots of traffic. Don't worry, everything is going to be ok" he says as the group marches towards the stairs.
Sep 4, 2015 7:29 pm
Kel:
You hear her moving around the house and rousing the kids. "Okay, I'm going to get to the basement. I'll call you soon. Keep your phone on." you hear her telling the kids that they have to go downstairs as she hangs up.

Everyone:
As people are grabbing their stuff, moving out the door, and heading to the stairwell there is another earth shaking 'thud' noise, followed by more explosions in the distance. You can't see where it hit but it sounded louder than the last. A moment later another wave of force hits the building, it spiders the glass on all of the window and one on the far end of the conference room blows in completely.
Sep 4, 2015 8:17 pm
"We need some sort of shelter, NOW!"
Andrew starts running and taking the steps two at a time, hurrying down as fast as he can.
"Oh God, oh God, I hope Kelsey's okay..."
Sep 4, 2015 8:27 pm
[ GM: Andrew, as you are trying to go down the stairs fairly quickly I'm going to have you make a quick dexterity test. You get one positive dice, always, by default. The fear of outrunning real life meteors crashing into earth will grant you a negative dice. So roll one positive and one negative dice. (do them as two separate rolls on a single post) ]
Sep 4, 2015 10:18 pm
As they are rushing down the second flight of stairs, Howard realized "It's going to be pretty dark down in the basement if the power's out...", and tries to remember if the storage room still has any of those little giveaway flashlight keychains left over from the last tradeshow.
Sep 4, 2015 10:55 pm
[ GM: Howard do a positive and negative check as well, your test is against your willpower ]
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.