Setting creation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 11, 2015 2:10 pm
Because we need that first, to have a hook to hang PCs on.

Now, it's raw chaos and possibility. Any idea can be thrown in - and thrown away.

House
- the Great House the PCs' House Minor belongs to (mood, style, ethos, coat of arms, aspect ideas)
- the House Minor the PCs' lead (see above)
- other House Minor under the same Great Houseű
- other Great Houses involved
- the relationship between the houses (individual, factions)

Solar system(s)
- types of planets? (terrain, technology level, form of state, houses present, native races, cultures, products)
- type of in-system travel (frequency, price, luxury level, hazard level, controlling groups)

Faces & places
- specific individuals who are interesting for some reason
- specific locations that are interesting for some reason

Anything
- that comes up in your mind

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Sep 13, 2015 12:34 pm
As far as general character of the house, I would prefer to play a traditional, rather than twisted, mentat. Given that, can we agree on a generally ethical household? At least as far as the Great Convention and Guild Peace perceive such things.

Also, how about a big contrast from Arrakis? A water rich fiefdom. House complex in a rainforest, on a river (maybe not near an ocean, this isn't Caladan).
Last edited September 13, 2015 12:48 pm
Sep 13, 2015 12:50 pm
I really like the idea of a water rich fiefdom to contrast Arrakis!
Sep 14, 2015 4:18 am
Maybe something in the same system as Ecaz. Just a thought.
Sep 14, 2015 8:26 am
We could go for a continent with lots of rivers and swamps, and another with giant trees - remember Endor from Star Wars?

If people like the idea(s), which continent is the house calls home? And what's on the other?
Trade rivals? Political allies? Untamed wilderness with half-primitive tribes?

Is the Great House's home on the same planet?
Different planet in the same solar system?
What's the name of the star? Planet? Continent?
Sep 14, 2015 8:30 am
Nikos says:
I'd personally like to see something more of the Guild and space-faring in general than what we usually see in the books. To that effect, possibly House Wykiru, house minor to the Tseida, with close ties to the Guild.
Sep 14, 2015 8:39 am
Then placing the Great House on a diffrent planet would be practical, the visits to 'mother' would involve space travel by default, and also placing some more hot spots in-system would be appropriate. Like another minor house with political allies based in an asteroid belt?

@Nikos:
By the way, what do you expect from space travel? In itself, it's nothing special: Guild-maintained spaceship interior, where passengers aren't allowed outside their quarters, with different factions carefully isolated to avoid trouble.
Sep 14, 2015 10:57 pm
I was hoping to play something of a chemist that refines the spice Melange into its various forms for consumption. Perhaps the house minor's connection to the Guild could be as a refiner of the spice, given the sheer quantities they consume, it seems likely that they would utilize discreet external sources to manufacture spice gas and the various pills and patches they use. Just an idea.
Sep 15, 2015 3:20 am
@Mindfield:
Can be. The question is, how does your character fit in the house minor of the PCs?
Sep 15, 2015 4:22 am
House Apotek, provider of refined Spice products from its raw form. Influential due the influential nature of the spice.
Sep 15, 2015 11:55 am
I guess that did come off as an odd request in a Dune game. Wasn't clear. I'd like to see more of the interplay between houses and the Guild, and potentially house-to-guild politiking.
Sep 22, 2015 12:16 pm
The more ideas we have, the more we can choose from, and the more I can focus on what you really want.
So, please everyone, come up with more.
Sep 22, 2015 4:47 pm
I like the idea of political intrigue and covert ops between the house and guild. Sounds like a lot of interesting fun.
Sep 25, 2015 3:45 pm
Just some inspiration. I assume everybody here has seen Jodorowsky's Dune? If you have not then do yourself a favor and watch it! :-)

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jg4OCeSTL08/maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a trailer: https://youtu.be/jg4OCeSTL08
Sep 25, 2015 3:47 pm
Also, this article! http://www.tor.com/2015/09/25/animated-dune-matt-rhodes-concept-art/

http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Dune_GiediPrime_MattRhodes_crop.jpg?fit=740%2C%209999&crop=0%2C0%2C100%2C385px
Last edited September 25, 2015 3:47 pm
Sep 26, 2015 3:51 am
I absolutely love the aesthetics of both of those. Speaking of Jodorowski, I'd recommend strongly checking out Metabarons for baroque space opera goodness: http://www.humanoids.com/book/256#.VgYWBvlViko
Sep 26, 2015 3:55 am
As far as setting, I'm digging the idea of a rainforest redoubt. Not so much treetop structures, but certainly a palace and surrounds in the forest, rather than stripping it. I'm thinking more a planet in the same system as our House Major, rather than sharing the world. As far as the other occupants of the planet, what do folks think about there being just a handful of actual settlements, one major city or so?
Oct 7, 2015 11:21 pm
I updated the Setting thread, and will add more this week.
Oct 17, 2015 3:17 am
I think house Apotek is a good fit. Dig the idea of a house whose fortunes are so closely tied to Dune being based in a rainforest.
Nov 2, 2015 9:04 am
Guys, I've been checking this game from time to time, and I see some input, but I feel that the
Quote:
Be prepared to get VERY creative. Before starting the story, we'll cook up together the minor house the PCs control, the planet, the star system, general atmosphere, important settlements, figures and organiizations, etc.
request is more than that. I don't know if you do not have time, or is it unusual, or whatever I can do, but I I thought we'll all contribute about the same amount to the setting.

What do you think about this?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.