Homebrew world

Nov 1, 2018 10:49 pm
I've been working on my own Homebrew world for a little over a year now. It's not much more than a collection of almost-cohesive concepts. Something that just occurred to me today was taking away resurrection magic. Death would be permanent. I'm 100% for this. I think my players would be. Has this been done before? Has this been done well before?
Nov 1, 2018 10:56 pm
My home brew setting has resurection magic removed and it seems to work fine. I do have an undead template that poeople can choose to take if they think that their characters story is incomplete but that only gives them one extra life and costs them their racial ASIs which is a pretty hefty cost. It adds a lot more emotional impact to death, but at the same time GMsneed to be a bit more careful about killing of PCs as it becomes wasteful to kill them at not substantial moments.
Nov 1, 2018 11:57 pm
Across the breadth of published RPG worlds, I think you'll find that "permadeath" is more prevalent than the possibility of resurrection. Though many systems incorporate a metacurrency, or other mechanic, that allow a player to save their PC from a death through some sort of expenditure.
Nov 2, 2018 12:29 am
This is something I've done and no one had any issues at all with it. It makes death more impactful and causes players to be more cautious

You do not have permission to post in this thread.