King of Fall - Act I - Game Thread

load previous
Jan 27, 2016 8:36 pm
Galas smiles indulgently at the urchin and the youthfully enthusiastic half-elf. This dwarf is full of surprises. I've heard his kind are gruff and rude, but he is kind to other races and even to this young boy, he frowns, But how is it he knows such elvish customs? He made no mention of travelling in our lands...as he thinks, Galas's gaze wanders about the room.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Jan 27, 2016 8:52 pm
A smile almost appeared on Oswald's face at the end of the performance when he was suprised by Maggie.
Quote:
D'ya mean to stan' there all day now do ya? I got things t'do.
she said almost meanly to him. This was something new from her.

"Maybe she is overworked. I should help out there. " he thinks.

"Sorry, i will the other plates" he say as he moves out to the paterns.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(9) + 1 = 10

Jan 27, 2016 9:39 pm
Venger tries to get a laugh, but none is forthcoming. In the dead space where the laugh should have been, he might notice something.
Last edited January 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(19) - 1 = 18

Jan 27, 2016 10:15 pm
"Me part of a troupe! That sounds delightful! You know I knew a family once who went as a troupe? The sister's name was Anna, sounds a lot like Anry, doesn't it?"

Earidan pauses and his face turns serious. A harder, more determined face then most children his age. He looks off to the said and catches the eyes of the cloaked man (Galas). Without blinking, looking away, or trembling he says simply.

"But I won't sing"

He then turns his head back to Anry and the dwarf passively scanning the room as he does so.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Jan 28, 2016 3:42 pm
"Well, maybe I'll teach you how to juggle!" Anry says to Earidan with delight. He grabs three small pieces of fruit from a nearby bowl, a clementine, a lime, and something he doesn't recognize and begins to quickly juggle them in small circles, before tossing one behind his back high in the air, and catching it in his pocket.

Turning back to Vengar, "I can sing just fine, but I've got a tune in my head that I must play before I go mad." With that, Anry pulls out his tin whistle from his satchel and begins to play this jig, hoping that Vengar and Earidan will enjoy dancing to it, but happy to play the tune for the audience if not.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Jan 28, 2016 4:14 pm
She knew, as soon as she snapped at Oswald, that it was the wrong move. She didn't want any questions, and breaking character was sure to invite them.

"Sorry Punkin." She sighed and put on her best moping face. "Dinna sleep good.". She managed a smile as she moved past him and into the kitchen just as Anry began his tin whistle tune.

Her hands gripped the wooden counter top tightly. Should she just pack up and leave? "Stupid decision, coming here." She muttered to herself under her breath. All trace of hard-edged accent and bad grammar gone. "Think, Thalisa...think." She began pacing the kitchen floor. "There must be some clue you missed."
Feb 3, 2016 11:56 pm
OOC:
We are going to move into a situation here where I want you guys to think in a round style format. Make one post in response to this post, it should be what you do in the next few seconds. Say like one line, step backwards or forwards a little, things like that. Keep it short. Everyone react appropriate to the description below.
Galas, Venger, Oswald and Anry
As Anry starts playing his tune, as he gets started in his exposition a flurry of activity will suddenly start. Whatever you guys were moving to do next, you will hear a sudden scrap of a chair being thrown backwards, and you will see the woman (Adelin) suddenly jumping up from her chair sending it tipping over behind her and she is wild eyed and looking around the room. Panic clearly on her face, and then she grabs the sides of her head and bends down grimacing from some pain inside her head. You will then see her right herself. The old man (Owyne) is suddenly head up and much more capable looking as he turns to the woman "Adelin?" he says to her concerned. She sits back up almost as quickly as she went down grabbing her head. Anyone who knows anything about weapons will see her grab at her hip, for a non-existent weapon as she moves protectively in front of the old man. "Something dark is here!" she says loudly, with fear in her eyes and her voice. This all happens in the matter of some seconds.

Galas and Venger
Galas and Venger, as she says "Something dark is here!" you will start to experience odd sensations. I am going to say by the scene and whats been said you guys are standing nearest to each other. Galas you may feel an odd tingle, an "elf-sense" of magic perhaps. Venger, your arm will start to feel alive, if you will. You will feel cold emanating from above you, and it will cause you two closest to look above you. What you see defies what seems logical to you. There is a thin black line growing in the air above you. Dark as night, but not on the ceiling itself, just in mid-air, a foot or two above Galas' head, and you can tell the cold is pouring from this mark.

Earidan
Earidan, I think you can hear and see what is happening with the woman at the table, as everyone in the common room would. I think your roll represents your lack of experience in noticing the things the above players did, and you definitely don't notice what Galas and Venger are seeing.

Maggie
You hear what sounds like a chair sliding and falling over from the other side of the kitchen wall to the common room. Perhaps a mumblish understanding of what she says loudly, but I will let you decide how distracted she is.
Feb 4, 2016 12:23 am
Earidan spins around looking from one person to another. What? Who? Where?
Last edited February 4, 2016 12:23 am
Feb 4, 2016 12:56 am
Adelin'S screams catches Oswald off guard and he almost drops the dishes he is picking up. Turning he stares at Adelin on the floor only to see her sit up quickly.
Quote:
"Somethings dark is here!
Hearing that phrase from her Oswald quickly moves to the bar, places he dishes on the counter, reaches over the counter, and remerges wih his Maul.

"Where?" he says through the cigar now tensely between his teeth.
Last edited February 4, 2016 12:57 am
Feb 4, 2016 12:59 am
Galas's face blanches in horror, and he reaches for his sword and steps back from the dark apparition. In the process he throws back his cloak and hood. The floppy hat falls from his head as he stares up and this cold intrusion.
OOC:
Mechanically, I'd like to trigger Galas's Divine Sense ability. Galas isn't doing this on purpose, and whatever results may come of it, he won't understand why he feels the way he does.
Feb 4, 2016 6:01 am
Venger recoils from the darkness, and tries to save the "innocents:" Anry and Earidan. He grabs them and tries to pull them away, out from under the line. "Look out above!"
Feb 4, 2016 2:16 pm
As Venger grabs Anry, his instincts kick in. He shrugs off Venger's grasp, and without a second thought, finds himself hiding in the shadows of a tapestry in the corner of the room. Out of sight, but with full view of the proceedings.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Feb 4, 2016 5:27 pm
She may have been lost in her own head for a few moments, but she was no slouch. She gave a small, startled jump as she heard the female voice cry out. In a single deft movement, she pulled a kitchen knife from the butcher's block, she burst through the doorway back into the room. Her stance and posture, poised and graceful, which was far cry from the frumpy waitress previously in the room.

Her keen eyes narrowed and took in the scene quickly.

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Feb 5, 2016 6:16 pm
Thalisa you walk into the beginnings of chaos. You heard Adelin, so you instinctively look there first, she is protectively in front of the old Owyne with her chair sprayed back behind her. You see the dwarf pulling the young boy back staring up at the ceiling. You see someone taking off for the corner of the room away from the dwarf. The elf is backing away and looking up at something as well, pulling out his sword. You see Oswald reach back and grab his Maul from behind the bar, which you don't know that you have ever scene him do before. The scene is confusing as you get in to the common room, and its also getting cold rapidly.
Galas your vision flickers for a moment. The world turns a strange shade of grey, and you can see the dwarf and the boy, but not as you saw them before. They look like vessels of flowing light brightest in the head and chest, except for Vengers injured arm which is darker and breaks the light. The boy is shining brightly next to him, almost hard to look at, and Anry taking off away from them. You glance down at your hand and see the same flowing light. Your vision flicks back to normal suddenly, and you see Anry moving off, Vengar backing up with the boy, and it's all a little disorienting. Then your vision flips again. They again look like forms of light, but you see darkness now, as you look up, you see a pair of dark spindly arms awkwardly bent at strange disturbing joints and angles, reaching out from the now expanding line as if grabbing onto reality for leverage. Just as you saw light flowing through Venger and the boy, you see dark shadow flow in the same manner through the arms of whatever is coming out of this void. Your sight flickers back to normal again. You are dis-oriented by this sudden flash back to normal, but you only see shadowy smoke now, not that arms you saw before.

IF there are rolls called for, you may have disadvantage if I call for it due to this, and you can use that in narrative as well.
Anyone who heeded Venger's warning would see a void opening in the middle of the air near him and Galas, and shadowy smoke coming out from this void in tendrils, but nothing substantial is seen. The cold is emanating across the room now. The heavier set man from the Mining Company is falling over himself trying to back away as chairs and tables slide and fall.

*SCREAM* A loud scream comes from Adelin, as she grips the sides of her head again, and sinks down to her knees in apparent agony. The older Owyne starts moving in front of her in the way of the shadow coming out of the void.

The void is stretching further open. More shadowy smoke is starting to pour out and the room is darkening quickly.
OOC:
Again what do you do the next like two seconds or so? You feel cold coming at you in waves, and you feel like something is gripping your body and closing in on you. If may not matter what you do, but tell me your immediate reactions. Keep it short, for now this will remain cinematic.
Feb 5, 2016 6:25 pm
What is happening... Galas has drawn his sword, but his vision keeps flickering in and out...screams...Arms, there were arms, that means there's something there. And its moving toward that old man!

"Hai!" Galas shouts and snaps out of his momentary paralysis. He rushes forward and stands between the reaching smoke and the old man/young woman. He slashes at the smoke, hoping his vision of arms means there is some thing to cut, something to fight!
OOC:
Attack roll below. Rolled twice in case of disadvantage. If no disadvantage, first roll stands.
Last edited February 5, 2016 6:26 pm

Rolls

Attack with Scimitar - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Attack with Scimitar (Disadvantage) - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

Damage if applicable - (1d6+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Feb 5, 2016 6:47 pm
Thalisa blanched slightly as she took in all the roiling chaos around her. Her eyes darted left and right as she fought to keep the chill at bay. With her eyes fixed on the dark and turbulent rift, she slowly made her way along the wall, the kitchen knife in hand.

She was halfway to the doorway that led back to the guest rooms, her eyes never leaving the rift, when she felt her back hit against something that wasn't wall. Something that moved.

In a flash, she spun around, flipping the dagger over in her deft hand, and slammed it forward at whatever was behind her. If not for her dexterous reactions, she would have planted it firmly between Anry's eyes. As it so happened, she diverted at the last second, but even so, the rustic blade left a small line of red near his left eyebrow.

Her eyes widened slightly, then her brow dipped into a scowl of frustration.
"Get out of my way." She said darkly. Her thick accent gone, replaced by cold flatness that could almost have some haughty aristocracy to it.

Though who would take note of that with everything else going on.
Last edited February 5, 2016 6:50 pm
Feb 5, 2016 7:11 pm
DMC says:
Though who would take note of that with everything else going on.
OOC:
Anry, might considering she just tried to stab him in the eye!
Anry, half hidden in the shadows behind the tapestry feels something bump into him. He wheels his head around and catches the glint of metal in the firelight arcing through the air towards him. If it weren't for his almost preternatural lightning quick reflexes, he'd have a kitchen knife sticking out of his forehead. All those years of juggling sharp and flaming objects certainly saved his life here, although a trickle of blood drips down the left side of his face.

The waitress stands in front of him, scowling, acting quite differently from the version of herself Anry had spoken with earlier. "Get out of my way," she intones. Anry is a little stunned at everything that's happening. He reaches up and touches the blood dripping slowly down his temple, looks at it and frowns, but doesn't move from her path.
Feb 5, 2016 8:29 pm
Earidan reaches for his crossbow after seeing Galas react. However, because of the overwhelming sense of dread, the young boy fumbles and the crossbow. The crossbow, made of scrap and leftover wood, skids across the ground to the other side of the room. Seeing the crossbow again, paralyzes Earidan, making him black out for a short second.

Lytell?

Earidan suddenly finds himself on the floor looking up into the black hole.
Last edited February 5, 2016 8:30 pm
Feb 5, 2016 9:35 pm
From the bar Oswald grips his searching the room for Adelin is screaming about.

I don't see anything. Hr thinks as he stares and squinks.
Quote:
"Hai!"
he hears the Elf say and swing at something. Then he sees something dark. Somethings growing.

The elf's blade did not touch anything. Oswald's eyes get bigger.

MARA!

"EVERYONE GET OUT!" he yells as he takes off to the back.

Mara. I have to protect Mara. Runs through his head as he runs away.
Feb 20, 2016 6:13 am
OOC:
This is a long post, and these won't happen often, but please tell me if you think its too long. I will be switching around perspectives but assume if you think you can see it, you can, execpt Oswald (read on)
The tear in mid-air is growing consideribly faster as everyone is moving around, falling down, and backing away. You all feel something invisible closing in around you in a fantastic sensation of it pressing in on all points of your body at once. It feels cold and evil on your bare skin, like ants that weigh as much as a horse crawling all over you. Your movements slow and it becomes harder and harder to take the actions in your mind and translate them to your body. The cold is painful now, the fear and darkness eminating from this crack in mid-air fills the common room. You see ice forming in the ales and spilled drinks about the tables. The chaos is slowing to a crawl and it only feels as if it is getting tighter. The large man in the common room (Jordie) has a look of absolute fear on his face as he is starting to scramble backwards and falls as everyone else is making their movement. Adelin has recovered and it looks like she is trying to stand with a great weight on her back. This all takes place in a second or two.

Then, everything stops. Everyone is frozen in place. As if time has stood still but some of you may still be able to see and hear bowls rolling around. Liquids from spilled ales drip, drip, dripping to the floors and in places turning to ice before it ever hits the ground. The grip around you is so tight you can't breathe, restricting the body so severely that you can only move your eyes, as if your eyes have been left alone to bear witness to the darkness entering the room.

Galas and Venger are frozen mid-backing away from the crack in air, with Galas' sword frozen in place in front of him. Venger stumbling a little as he lost his grip on the other two he was trying to pull to safety. Earidan is laying on the floor nearest the darkness entering the room. Oswald would appear frozen mid run, maul in hand, towards the back rooms. Thalisa and Anry are frozen off behind a post in the common room with a clear view towards the tear.

Everything is earily quiet in the room now. You can hear the faint crackle of energy from the tear in reality that floats in the middle of the room. Those of you who can see it will see a shadow of a tall figure starting to take shape, shifting and moving between looking armored, then robed, naked, and just constantly shifting shadowy darkess. This creature, or being, or whatever is taking form just below the crack in the air. Galas as your vision flickers between different states you can clearly see the figure when shifted, and would see, for lack of a better word and thinking back on your readings, something that you could only describe as a Demon or Fiend that are described in old texts. The rest of you would see the shifting shadowy figures it appears to transition between.

Then the being splits and as if stepping out of itself as these copies start to move around the room. One goes to Galas, one goes to Venger, one goes and kneels before Earidan. A couple move off towards to Thalisa and Anry, the old man and younger woman. Oswald you will be chilled to the bone as one passes through your body to turn and face you from to the other side. This would be your first visual of this creature since you are turned away heading off. It's right in your face, cold pooring off of a shifting shadowy face of decayed flesh, shifting to a normal face, then to various forms, but they all have a hateful snear. This happens to each of you, as a shifting shadowy figure moves to look at you, as if looking into your eyes, searching for something. You can feel the evil hatred pouring out from the creature.

As these aspects of this shadow creature move the fire in the hearth dies to almost nothing, the light around the room seems to be drawn into the shadows that make it up. As it stares into each of your eyes, you are a filled with fear, sadness, guilt, and even pain. You have not been able to take a breath for a while now, and you are starting to panic as you mind is telling your body to draw breath, but you can't.

Galas you would get the distinct feeling that this creature is not holding you guys in place, but some other force beyond this creature. Not really sure how you know that, you just feel it. You also feel an odd sensation of warmth building in your chest, as if fighting back against the cold. Venger would have a similar feeling in his arm, as if something was fighting back against this darkness, but it would feel more like a survival type emotion to you Venger.

Earidan you are on the floor, looking up into the face of this creature of some sorts, cold buffeting your face. Then you feel a warmth suddenly in your chest, fighting back against the cold. Then as if slammed by some invisible force you feel it impact your chest, driving the warmth out forcefully. Pain and anguish course through you, you would be screaming if you weren't frozen in place. Others might see tears freezing on Earidan's face if you looked close. Then "fwooooshh" is heard by all, as these seperate entities spring back together like air made of shadow rushing past collecting back into one being at the one kneeling over Earidan.

Earidan you hear a voice in your head, but its quiet and booming, clear and garbled, evil and ancient, and sounds like hundreds of dialects being spoke at the same time, yet you can clearly hear it booming in your head. "Breaker of chains, you shall die, and serve me for all time." It hurts your mind, and spreads through your body and maybe even your soul as you hear this voice. Pure, and unequivically evil.

Galas, you feel warmth spreading across your body, fighting back against the cold. You feel safe and protected now, your lungs are no longer burning despite your lack of breathing. Your vision switches and stays in this new state. You can see the demon looking figure kneeling over him, waves of darkness eminating out from him, you see Earidan, darkness moving through his body, but a bright light in his chest seems to be fighting back against this darkness buffetting outward with light to be pushed back again. You see the others as you move your eyes around. You can see the woman and old man and light eminating from them, the same for Oswald who is facing away from the demon in front of you. You glance up to see the tear rippling, weakening, and growing smaller quickly. You can see the darkness eminating from the demon appearing to be sucked back up into the tear. You can see it digging its clawed "feet" into the ground fighting against this. You hear a horrifying and defiant screach from the demon looking being as it glances back at the tear.

Earidan you feel as if a battle is taking place inside you, cold and warm iminate back and forth, pain courses through you. You can see the creature more clearly now in front of your face, you can see the shadowy aura of this creature being sucked up backwards into the tear. You see it look back at the tear, back at you and the horrible screach. You pass out, and all goes dark for you.

Galas you are filled with warmth now, you can feel the tighness being lifted from you. You see the demon screaching over Earidan, being pulled backwards towards the tear more chaotically by the moment. As its grip slips you see it lash out with a clawed hand impossibly fast, and you see a thin red line appear across the neck of the boy on the ground.

All of you feel the grip lessening on you, you can see the shadowed figured being drawn back towards the tear as it flails in awkward un-human movements. Clawing and scratching and screaching if fights, as the tear flashes smaller and bigger, smaller again, a little bigger, then smaller again as it cyles smaller and smaller despite its eratic state. The shadow creature is being pulled through legs first, as it seems to try and grab at the reality around the tear, determined to stay and finish what it came here for.

The grip lessens more, and more. Galas, you see the light spreading back across Earidan's body, but it is fading out at the same time, as you see what appears to be blood, but almost as liquid light to you, as the thin red line starts to flow better from the now visible and opening slash across the neck of the boy on the ground.

Venger you would see this too being near the boy. You would see blood forming on his neck as you are feeling the grip loosing on you, and your lungs burn and your body fights to take a breath. Oswald, Anry, Thalisa, and everyone is in the room is feeling the grip loosen on them. The looser it gets the more blood you see.

Then SNAP. The tear shuts, a horrible shreik is heard as the tear appears to close before the shadow was fully through and the shadow disperses almost instantly in flash. Everything goes back into motion then, as your bodies draw in breath for the first time. You hear the big man fall backwards into a table, motionless. The old man falls to his knees, his chest heaving heavily. The young woman turns to him also catching her breath. Oswald, you stumble forward as your released.

Galas you still feel wamth flowing through you, something you have felt before. Power, pure and strong, flows through you as your vision switches back to normal, you see blood gushing from the neck of young Earidan.

Venger you would see this too, as well as the woman Adelin. Anry and Thalisa you will not be able to see Earidan laying on the ground, but you are both released as well.

What do you all do now? Adelin is crawling on all fours towards the boy. The large man, Jordie is lying on the ground motionless, turning blue.
OOC:

Again keep it short for now. What do you do right after.

Earidan, you are out, so no posting until I say.

Galas and Venger you guys are closest to Earidan who is convulsing on the floor, blood flowing from his neck. The darkness, shadow, cold, and fear you felt are all gone in a flash.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.