Chapter 9: The Labyrinth

load previous
Apr 21, 2020 12:31 am
OOC:
Gods, help us. He's going to do it.
Ælfric pulled at the sword with his mage hand to see just how tightly wedged it was. If it won't budge, he tried to pull it out himself, careful to only let the hilt touch his gloved hands.
OOC:
Strength/Athletics of 15.
Last edited April 21, 2020 2:53 am

Rolls

Strength - (1d20-1)

(16) - 1 = 15

Apr 21, 2020 12:38 am
Elayna doesn't know where the shadowy stranger slipped off to, but his wizard-like friend seems to be buying time. The least she can do is help.

"A-as thanks," she stammers without really thinking, "maybe I might gift you with... some song?" Committed to the offer, she quickly thinks back to the old chants of ancient deeds, careful to avoid proselytizing about good over evil out of respect for her audience.
OOC:
Adding a Performance roll if the demon lord obliges and deigns to listen, pre-empted with Bardic Inspiration to herself.

Rolls

Performance - (1d20+11)

(4) + 11 = 15

Bardic Inspiration on self to apply to Performance - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Apr 21, 2020 4:56 pm
Mai'ngor can tell their new companions are trying to pull a fast one on the demon lord. The tikbalang paces back and forth, waiting, ready.
Apr 23, 2020 2:46 am
Aelfric grips the sword tightly and pulls. It takes a moment, but he manages to yank it out of the wall. In his hands, he holds a short sword with a large sapphire set into the hilt. As he holds it aloft to inspect it, it glows with a soft blue light.
[ +- ] Sword
Elayna begins her song and it promises to be quite good, but the demon lord clearly doesn't appreciate it. He growls, "Enough!" he shouts loudly enough to shake the chamber, "Go. Now. Before I change my mind."
Apr 23, 2020 3:00 am
"Shiny," Ælfric thought before he stowed the shortsword, took a deep breath, said a prayer to Erevan Ilesere, and prepared to return the way he had come: past Baphomet once again!
OOC:
With Reliable Talent, that's a 33 for Stealth.
Last edited April 23, 2020 3:01 am

Rolls

Stealth (+Pass Without Trace) - (1d20+23)

(4) + 23 = 27

Apr 23, 2020 3:04 am
Elayna begins to back away, hesitantly at first, then with due haste.
Apr 23, 2020 10:44 pm
Elayna begins to back away just as Aelfric appears from around the corner and makes his way back toward you once again. It's a close call, with Baphomet's bulk almost bumping into the rogue as he makes his way down the hall, but he manages to get back to the group.
Apr 23, 2020 11:43 pm
Elayna does not wait for Ælfric, only briefly pulling at Sarith's arm if the drow is nearby. "Let'sgolet'sgolet'sgo," she hisses.
Apr 24, 2020 12:10 am
In his best (or just most frantic) miming, Ælfric implored the group to hurry back the way they'd come. After a few turns, he slowed his pace but did not let up his cloaking for as long as it would naturally last. Tiny beads of sweat were barely visible on his brow when he pulled back his hood with barely trembling hands. His shaggy brown hair and pointed ears seemed happy to be free.

"Six feathers from six different angels. You want to keep these safe until we get back to the dark wizard, big guy?" Ælfric said lowly as he held up a pouch in Mai'ngor's direction. "Now let's get the Nine Hells out of here."
Apr 25, 2020 5:56 pm
Seftan offers a city bow to the demon lord before he backs out of the chamber.

Well done old friend he whispers to Ælfric,

Nearly gave me a heart attack but you pulled it off, bravo.
Apr 25, 2020 6:17 pm
"Thanks. I nearly had one, too, but I got the feathers and a shiny," Ælfric said as he pulled out the beautiful shortsword. "I don't think it's cursed but I'd like your second opinion while we run. There's no telling if that thing is going to realize the feathers or this sword are missing."
OOC:
Ælfric's player almost had a heart attack a few times, too. Got past Baphomet. Twice. Damn. This is one for my D&D record books.
Identify the shiny sword, please, Seftan.
Was there a magic signal to let Vizeran know to teleport us out or do we have to find our way out of the maze?
Apr 25, 2020 6:47 pm
OOC:
Vizeran had previously mentioned that he would "just know."
Apr 26, 2020 4:13 pm
I'd be glad to take a look at that sword, unfortunately it's going to take some time to work that spell, not something I can do on the run.
OOC:
Identify takes a full minute to cast and I didn't prepare it. Gonna have to rest before I can do it.
Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm
"Understood. I wish the dark wizard would hurry up and 'know' we're done here," Ælfric grumbled as he stowed the shortsword again. "In the meantime, keep moving."
Last edited April 26, 2020 5:33 pm
Apr 27, 2020 9:21 pm
OOC:
As a wizard, you can cast it as a ritual if it's in your spellbook even without prepping it. It just takes an additional 10 minutes to cast it that way.
You attempt to make your way out of the Labyrinth and aren't making much progress. After a few hours, a spectral vision of Vizeran appears before you. "Have you gotten the feathers?" it asks, staring directly at Mai'ngor.
OOC:
Jabes is on somewhat of a hiatus, so anyone can feel free to post an answer to the question
Apr 27, 2020 10:07 pm
"Yeah, boss. We've got them. Now get us out of here!" Ælfric tried to say without sounding too insolent or rude.
Apr 28, 2020 3:40 pm
OOC:
Good point about the ritual
During the course of the party's wandering through the endless maze, Seftan takes 10 minutes to identify Ælfric's new sword as the rest of the group catches their breath and contemplates their course.
Last edited April 28, 2020 3:42 pm
Apr 29, 2020 2:06 am
Seftan takes the time to identify the sword and finds that it's a Defender Shortsword.
[ +- ] Defender
Vizeran nods, "Hold still and I'll bring you back..."

After about 30 seconds, you feel a strange sensation and the world goes sideways and then dark. Moments later, you open your eyes and find yourselves in Vizeran's tower in the sitting room.
Apr 29, 2020 3:23 am
"Thanks, Seftan. A Defender, eh? That makes it even more beautiful. I'll have to get a nice scabbard for you."

The teleportation was disconcerting as always but Ælfric happily endured it since he was leaving Baphomet's lair far behind. Once back in the dark wizard's sanctum, the arcane thief pointed to Mai'ngor.

"Big guy's got the feathers, boss. They weren't easy to come by but we did it," he said, magnanimously sharing the praise for the heist with everyone else.
OOC:
Oooh, a Defender! Awesome!
Apr 29, 2020 5:13 am
OOC:
wow yeah, top marks for that grab!
load next

Thread locked