Chapter 9: The Labyrinth

load previous
Sep 6, 2019 6:21 pm
Elayna hesitantly steps forward, holding the Light-infused stone. "Well, we need feathers, and I'm guessing these demons don't count as angels," she says. She looks for a way through, mindfully keeping clear of as many bodies as she can.
Sep 8, 2019 2:56 pm
Mai'ngor keeps a wary eye on the demon corpses as the group moves through.
OOC:
Whatever happened here, does it look recent?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Sep 9, 2019 11:59 pm
The blood on the ground is dry now, so it didn't happen recently, but the carnage revealed as you walk through is astounding to behold.

You begin following the twisting passages and soon find yourselves amazed by the sheer scope of the place. You travel for hours without seeing anything of interest.

Vaulted chambers bristle with stalactites and stalagmites, slowing your passage as you wend your way across uneven floors. Moving through a narrow passage, you enter a cavern dimly lit by phosphorescent fungi — and are met by the sight of a dark metal tower perched on the edge of a cliff that drops away into darkness.

The square tower is twenty feet on a side and thirty feet high, with arrow slits in each wall. A battlement crowns its top, with a stone gargoyle peering over each side. Set into the middle of the wall facing you is a sturdy-looking door made of the same dark metal as the rest of the tower.
Sep 10, 2019 2:57 am
"Did Vizeran mention a tower? I don't recall. If it has nothing to do with our mission, perhaps we should just pass it by."
Sep 10, 2019 6:24 am
Elayna shakes her head. "If he did, I wasn't paying attention. I'm sorry."

Looking up and holding her Light stone aloft to extend the range of her vision, she adds, "It doesn't look daemonic. Maybe there's someone that can help us?"
Sep 15, 2019 12:40 pm
"Perhaps...let us be cautious in our approach," suggests Melpomene.
Sep 17, 2019 4:00 am
"Watch those window slits. I don't like the look of them..."
Last edited September 17, 2019 4:01 am
Oct 1, 2019 11:56 am
"If you insist, follow me then." Mai'ngor moves towards the tower, warily eyeing the arrow slits. He keeps an empty hand raised in a gesture of parley.

"I have a bad feeling about this, Sinag. How about you?"
OOC:
If he makes it to the door unchallenged, he will knock.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Oct 5, 2019 10:33 pm
Sinag hums with energy and replies, "I agree. This is quite strange..."

Mai'ngor knocks on the door with a dull thump and waits for a moment, but there is no noise or any sign of movement from inside.
Oct 5, 2019 11:55 pm
Mai'ngor looks to his companions with a shrug.
Oct 6, 2019 7:42 am
Elayna follows Mai'ngor up the stairs. "Hello?" she calls out.
Oct 12, 2019 3:12 am
There's no response other than a deep silence. There's clearly an aura of magic about the place as well as a feeling of wrongness. It's faint, but you're pretty sure you smell something rotting within the tower.
Oct 12, 2019 3:40 am
Mai'ngor tries opening the door.
Last edited October 12, 2019 3:40 am
Oct 17, 2019 12:25 am
Elayna fumbles a bit with her hand crossbow, unaccustomed to loading the bolts. She at least remembers to keep the pointy end away from her companions.
Oct 17, 2019 2:05 pm
As Elayna fumbles with the bolt, she feels a tap on her shoulder. Looking up, she sees Sarith standing next to her. He takes a deep breath and motions for her to do the same. Once she finishes he whispers, "Stay close..." and takes another step, placing himself partially between her and the door.

The door opens easily, revealing an open room with a ladder affixed to the back wall. On the floor near the ladder is an old skeleton in a set of moldy robes.
Oct 17, 2019 2:14 pm
With a gesture for Sarith to avert his eyes, Mai'ngor causes Sinag's blade to spring forth. Then, he steps through the doorway.
Oct 17, 2019 4:51 pm
Elayna remains close to Sarith, eyes flitting about the interior of the tower for signs of life.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Oct 17, 2019 5:27 pm
Searching through everything, you manage to find two empty potion bottles and one that's full of a thick purple liquid under a sleeve of the skeletons robes.
Oct 17, 2019 5:43 pm
Elayna takes the empty bottles and the purple potion; they may prove useful later. "You think this is the person who owns the tower?" she asks, indicating the skeleton. She looks up the ladder. "Did they have a nasty fall, or did something kill them? And is that something still inside?"

Rolls

Medicine, if cause of death can be determined - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Oct 24, 2019 11:27 pm
Looking over the skeleton, it looks like there are a couple spots where teeth hit the bone, likely while the person was still alive.
load next

Thread locked