Questions and Chatter

Nov 29, 2015 6:01 pm
Here's where we can discuss anything that doesn't have an obvious place in other threads.
Dec 3, 2015 8:13 pm
Since Character creation is mostly handled what kind of questions do people have? About Combat/Tasks/Numenera/etc? If it's about the setting and what not I'll leave that up to Foolsmask. If it's simple game mechanics I don't mind answering. Personally I think the system is a bit crunchy but mostly rules light and story driven, not a lot of maintenance on character inventory either.
Dec 3, 2015 8:19 pm
I've run and running Num games and from my experience I found that most of new players are unaware of some vital but subtle mechanics as :
combined efforts and cooperative actions and different modifiers, what is asset modifier etc. Main part is around pages 100-110 of corebook(I do not recall which page exactly) but it could be very good read for newer players
Last edited December 3, 2015 8:20 pm
Dec 3, 2015 8:26 pm
I expect to have a lot of questions as we play through. That's kind of how I learn best unfortunately: by doing.

A question I have right now: What does it mean to be "skilled with defense"? This was something from my Type (Jack). It says, "Choose one type of defense task in which you are not already trained: Might, Speed, or Intellect. You are trained in defense tasks of that type."

Mechanically, what does it mean to be "trained" in a skill or defense?
Dec 3, 2015 8:26 pm
You lower the difficulty of a defense roll by one step, right?
Dec 3, 2015 8:29 pm
Correct. If you are Trained in any skill, you reduce the difficulty of using those skills by one step. If you're Specialized, you reduce it by two.

So a Difficulty 3 Speed Defense roll (roll 9+) becomes Difficulty 2 (roll 6+) if you are Trained in Speed Defense
Dec 3, 2015 8:37 pm
BlackStork says:
I've run and running Num games and from my experience I found that most of new players are unaware of some vital but subtle mechanics as :
combined efforts and cooperative actions and different modifiers, what is asset modifier etc. Main part is around pages 100-110 of corebook(I do not recall which page exactly) but it could be very good read for newer players
p101 of the RuleBook lists the different Cooperative Actions, which I would agree seems to be an overlooked mechanic. And actual use varies. I played under a GM once who forced us to do something in character to qualify for The Old One-Two-Three bonus to attack rolls. Even if there was only one baddie left, someone would have to declare a unified attack. And he would conveniently forget about the High and Low mechanic as well. But other GMs I've played under have been upfront about the cooperative things we could do and encourage their use.

I think Numenera (and Cypher) has gained a reputation for being mechanics-light, but I haven't found that to be all that accurate. There's a decent amount of mechanics that go into your actions, especially as you start stacking Effort, Assets, Effects, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how familiar is everyone with the system? I'm no expert, but I have quite a bit of experience with it.
Dec 3, 2015 8:38 pm
This is my first game of Numenera, I hadn't even opened the cover of the books until I joined here. I like to think I'm a quick study though :)
Dec 3, 2015 8:44 pm
I've leafed through the Numenera Core book and the Cypher system rulebook. Never played a game.

I'm the kind of person who can read a bit of information over and over, but it won't stick in my head until I have to apply the information. So I've read the rules, but y'all should assume I know almost nothing.
Dec 3, 2015 8:56 pm
*Mind you even if you don't have a defense skill you still get to make a roll or just state you take the hit (Clench dem cheeks). Sometimes you do have to do that math if you're thinking of using Effort to see if it's really worth it or did you just take double the damage pretty much.

In some ways it is crunchy and doesn't seem rules light but I've usually gotten away with a few things due to being story driven, made sense for the character, or the GM was just shocked by the idea. But you gotta admit rolling up a PC or monster is pretty quick, connections and background took more time really.

I'm kind of familiar with the system, my face to face group started out in The Strange (Which was awesome) and we switched after one Season to Numenera, everyone had pretty much the same character. We took a break a while back to play 13th Age which is fun as well (we've rebooted in 13th Age and this Season looks like it will be interesting.)
Dec 3, 2015 9:08 pm
I really fond of Numenera and have quite some experience with it, and i am built/building very complex-rule-heavy system on it (extension, there is a game played on GP right now) with it.

@Friar_Tuk
Defence rolls are your general defence. When you need to defend yourself or resist something there 3 types of the defence roll - Might, Speed and Intelligence.
If you are trained with certain type that means all defence rolls will be 1 lvl easier for your character.
This means Int Defence will make all rmental and esotery resistances highter (spell resistances), Speed will make combat defence/evasion better and Might will make all rolls related to physical endurance/strenght easier.
If one will translate to fantasy system language it would be something like:
Int Defence = Mental/Psychic/Spell Resisistance
Speed Defence = Agility-based/Evasion/Dodge defence
Might Defence = Endurance/Health/Strenght-based defence.

Those are very cruicial and important skills to have, and you can not get them easily through lvl up as defence skills are threated in bit different way that the any others skills in the system.
Last edited December 3, 2015 9:13 pm
Dec 4, 2015 4:36 pm
As with a couple of the others, I've never played the system. Looking forward to it.
Dec 5, 2015 5:54 am
So, we are technically just waiting for falryx to give us his character and then we can start. There are some questions that a few need to respond to, but they are not immediately necessary. So we are close to launching the actual play of the game.
Dec 5, 2015 5:52 pm
I'll have my character done today. I think I have my sentence, but I'm pushing it around to make sure I've a backstory I'm interested in and can play.
Dec 8, 2015 9:53 pm
Hey everybody, I wanted to apologize for the delay. The RP you've been doing is great. I will post a good response to what you've done and we will advance to the start of the Rite after that.
Dec 9, 2015 3:43 am
No worries.. there's plenty of trouble we can get into if left on our own. ;)
Dec 12, 2015 8:44 pm
Ack! Until just this moment, I didn't realize the game had begun. I wasn't subscribed to the other forum, so I wasn't getting any notifications. :(

I'll read up on everything that has transpired and join in later today. Sorry about that!
Last edited December 12, 2015 8:44 pm
Dec 12, 2015 9:13 pm
I was beginning to wonder. No problem.
Dec 23, 2015 10:59 pm
Aha! A minor effect! I'm thinking that when Carrick strained for the lead, he inadvertently released a flash of light, which made those around him hesitate slightly. Perhaps that hesitation put him in the lead or gave him additional room to maneuver. Potentially adding an asset to his next action?
Dec 24, 2015 4:31 pm
Ok, I'm really sorry, but I am completely lost on the mechanics of what is happening here. I've been super busy, and this system is new to me, very sorry!

I understand that folks are expending effort to reduce the difficulty level of the task. But if one expends effort now, how do we gain it back? Is there a benefit to saving it?

I see a lot of "vs 6" in the die rolls. I have no idea what that means.

I understand that I am rolling a d20 and that I am using speed or might. My speed is better, is there a bonus or advantage from that? Also, I have 1 edge in speed, what does that do for me?

I'm sorry for slowing things up! I learn best on the fly like this (as opposed to reading examples), thanks for your patience everyone!
Dec 24, 2015 4:49 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Ok, I'm really sorry, but I am completely lost on the mechanics of what is happening here. I've been super busy, and this system is new to me, very sorry!

I understand that folks are expending effort to reduce the difficulty level of the task. But if one expends effort now, how do we gain it back? Is there a benefit to saving it?

I see a lot of "vs 6" in the die rolls. I have no idea what that means.

I understand that I am rolling a d20 and that I am using speed or might. My speed is better, is there a bonus or advantage from that? Also, I have 1 edge in speed, what does that do for me?

I'm sorry for slowing things up! I learn best on the fly like this (as opposed to reading examples), thanks for your patience everyone!
The task is difficulty 3, so you'd have to roll a 9 or better to pass.
You can expend points from your might or speed pool to reduce the difficulty by one step, lowering the roll needed to a 6.
It costs 3 points from your pool to reduce the difficulty by that single step.
Your speed edge of 1 reduces the speed cost by one, lowering the cost of expending that effort down to 2 points.

So you can try at the base difficulty of 9 OR you can spend 2 points from your speed pool to lower your required roll down to a 6.
Dec 24, 2015 4:55 pm
But don't forget you still need to expend 2 from your might pool to participate in the task as well. They can be recovered later through a recovery roll. You can think of your Pools as your HP if that helps.
Dec 24, 2015 4:56 pm
Thanks guys!
Dec 24, 2015 5:14 pm
The other thing...and I should have thought of this myself, so I apologize...is that skills and assets can also be used to reduce the cost. So you could have claimed Running as your flex skill for the day and it would have reduced the Difficulty to a 1 meaning you needed a 3. You still would have failed with the result of 2, but you could have done that.

If you would like to retroactively change that I will allow it as you are new and I should have noticed this. However, Climbing is another thing that likely will come up when you get to the Spiram where The Seer lives, so maybe you want to keep it as is. You decide.

Otherwise these answers were exactly right.
Dec 24, 2015 5:19 pm
I'm really glad my answer was correct, this was my first roll I've made in this system! Also, shields are an asset for speed defense, right?
Dec 24, 2015 5:46 pm
Naatkinson says:
I'm really glad my answer was correct, this was my first roll I've made in this system! Also, shields are an asset for speed defense, right?
Yes
Dec 29, 2015 1:54 pm
*Hypeman Voice*Bringing up back story problems Ooooooh.*End Voice*

But seriously are there nonlethal options? Cus Imma get dat egg regardless.

Out of character I'd feel bad for the children if there's no nonlethal option...
In character "This isn't part of the Rite?"
Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm
Remnant says:
*Hypeman Voice*Bringing up back story problems Ooooooh.*End Voice*

But seriously are there nonlethal options? Cus Imma get dat egg regardless.

Out of character I'd feel bad for the children if there's no nonlethal option...
In character "This isn't part of the Rite?"
I am also curious about nonlethal damage in Numenara. I really don't want to kill anyone!
Dec 29, 2015 2:16 pm
Yes you can strike for non lethal damage. Your fists are light weapons that do only 2 damage normally. If you want to narrate that you only subdue or drive them off that is fine with me.
Dec 29, 2015 2:22 pm
*looks at Pha's fists* Oooh... with your 1d4+1 for a light weapon... I'm at 1d4+3 or 1d4+7 if I get angry... I vote for trying to use my words first.
Dec 31, 2015 3:26 am
I'm expecting a signal that Pha and Yaru can move -- my sense is that we've got to let the NPCs get a round in before we can do anything.

Is it possible for my Onslaught Esotery to do non-lethal damage?
Dec 31, 2015 3:29 am
The three that could did, all actions now will probably be sorted after an initiative roll
Dec 31, 2015 2:11 pm
So, I get a Major Effect on my initiative roll, right? Any thoughts on what it could be?
Dec 31, 2015 6:30 pm
Well, looking for applicable suggestions online I found a few.

1. Decrease Defense Task Difficulties by one step for the rest of this scene
2. Attempt an additional action on this turn.
Jan 5, 2016 7:46 pm
Friar_Tuk brought up an interesting point about points in your pools. Taking 'damage' reduces your pools Might first until it's to 0 then Speed and then Int. There's a three stage status effect on the downward spiral of life when you bottom out in any until all three are zeroed out. Expenditure for abilities, tasks, or effort come out of the pools as well and while not 'damage' its a resource from the pool and in truth I guess can be considered 'like damage' since they reduce your resources in a pool.

We have not gotten into major combat but it is a possibility to try and dodge an attack, spend effort to make it easier, fail and still take the damage meaning you double down on the loss of points to your pools, sometimes you just take the roll to see if you get hit if the odds are not good to dodge with effort keep in mind multiple uses of effort might sap you just as quickly.

Oddly enough it's one of the things I like about the system that there is a slippery slope on doing or not doing something that reduces your pools on the meta side and the narrative story side.
Jan 5, 2016 7:53 pm
Double post since this one is more of a personal question that chatter.

Question for Foolsmask:
In my face to face group if you'd like to use a power for something related or outside the scope of the current mechanics we had the option to try it at times it just cost more. If I wanted to use Sculpts Flesh to not do more damage like designed but to make it easier to move in the environment and climb what would the increased buy in be? (Reference p. 82 Character Options - Modifying Abilities)
Jan 6, 2016 4:35 am
Remnant says:
Friar_Tuk brought up an interesting point about points in your pools. Taking 'damage' reduces your pools Might first until it's to 0 then Speed and then Int. There's a three stage status effect on the downward spiral of life when you bottom out in any until all three are zeroed out. Expenditure for abilities, tasks, or effort come out of the pools as well and while not 'damage' its a resource from the pool and in truth I guess can be considered 'like damage' since they reduce your resources in a pool.

We have not gotten into major combat but it is a possibility to try and dodge an attack, spend effort to make it easier, fail and still take the damage meaning you double down on the loss of points to your pools, sometimes you just take the roll to see if you get hit if the odds are not good to dodge with effort keep in mind multiple uses of effort might sap you just as quickly.

Oddly enough it's one of the things I like about the system that there is a slippery slope on doing or not doing something that reduces your pools on the meta side and the narrative story side.
I agree that there as it is written it does work the way you are describing it. It is the job of the Narrator to mitigate those situations. My job is about telling an interesting story. Seeing a PC beat over the head with a stick isn't dramatic, unless maybe the one hitting the PC were an adversary with a blood feud...
Jan 6, 2016 4:46 am
Remnant says:
Double post since this one is more of a personal question that chatter.

Question for Foolsmask:
In my face to face group if you'd like to use a power for something related or outside the scope of the current mechanics we had the option to try it at times it just cost more. If I wanted to use Sculpts Flesh to not do more damage like designed but to make it easier to move in the environment and climb what would the increased buy in be? (Reference p. 82 Character Options - Modifying Abilities)
I can agree to this, make it cost 3 Intellect to start with, and that will give you an asset towards climbing.
Jan 7, 2016 1:48 pm
Remnant brought up something I'm curious about. Can we use an XP to re-roll?

Edit: Nvm, found my answer in the book
Last edited January 7, 2016 2:09 pm
Jan 7, 2016 2:51 pm
We can but I asked to see narratively if it was okay, there are actually a lot of narrative boons I think besides using XP for character advancement or a reroll that are pretty cool about this system.
Jan 7, 2016 6:52 pm
Kveit is currently trained in Climbing. What does that do for me again? Lower the difficulty?

Edit: Nvm, found my answer.
Last edited January 7, 2016 6:53 pm
Jan 9, 2016 6:04 pm
Naatkinson says:
Remnant brought up something I'm curious about. Can we use an XP to re-roll?

Edit: Nvm, found my answer in the book
Yes, sorry. I was going to post about all the uses of XP but I didn't. If it is in the book as a basic rule the answer is yes. If it is noted an an option then maybe. I noted the optional rules I want to use, that doesn't mean I'm saying no to the rest if they apeal to the players.
Jan 10, 2016 12:45 am
Could attempt to climb again, not a reroll.
Jan 10, 2016 1:00 am
I have the charge ability -- is it something I can use to enable the lift to work again after I get to the top?
Jan 10, 2016 3:10 am
falryx says:
I have the charge ability -- is it something I can use to enable the lift to work again after I get to the top?
Yes, if the machine were drained by being used or something, you can try.
Jan 11, 2016 3:11 pm
Friar_Tuk says:
Remnant says:
OoC: It's a complication you take an xp and someone else gets an XP as well that you choose. If you'd prefer to not let it happen you can 'pay' one of your XP to void it (you can't use the intrusion xp being given for this).
No, I get that part. I'm confused as to what part of this is a "complication". I just want to make sure I understand our GM's intent before I make my decision.
I'm also confused. They will get XP for not helping out? I'm not sure how that's a complication. Kinda sounds more like a penalty for RPing one way vs another, unless I'm totally misunderstanding.
Last edited January 11, 2016 3:12 pm
Jan 11, 2016 3:14 pm
Naatkinson says:
Friar_Tuk says:
Remnant says:
OoC: It's a complication you take an xp and someone else gets an XP as well that you choose. If you'd prefer to not let it happen you can 'pay' one of your XP to void it (you can't use the intrusion xp being given for this).
No, I get that part. I'm confused as to what part of this is a "complication". I just want to make sure I understand our GM's intent before I make my decision.
I'm also confused. They will get XP for not helping out? I'm not sure how that's a complication. Kinda sounds more like a penalty for RPing one way vs another, unless I'm totally misunderstanding.
Exactly why I asked for clarification.
Jan 11, 2016 3:30 pm
When a GM offers a GM Intrusion (GMI), it's usually something that adds a complication to the story or to your character to make things more interesting. The same thing happens when you roll a natural 1, but in that case, you don't receive extra XP.

For instance, you might make it to the top, but you might encounter an algae that attaches itself to you, dealing a certain amount of Might damage. Or in your haste, you might drop your weapon, rendering it useless until you retrieve it when you descend.

Usually, you don't know what sort of complication it will be until after you decide on whether or not to accept it. If you don't want to risk whatever the complication is, you can spend an XP to prevent the GMI.
Last edited January 11, 2016 3:31 pm
Jan 11, 2016 3:44 pm
njohn858 says:
When a GM offers a GM Intrusion (GMI), it's usually something that adds a complication to the story or to your character to make things more interesting. The same thing happens when you roll a natural 1, but in that case, you don't receive extra XP.

For instance, you might make it to the top, but you might encounter an algae that attaches itself to you, dealing a certain amount of Might damage. Or in your haste, you might drop your weapon, rendering it useless until you retrieve it when you descend.

Usually, you don't know what sort of complication it will be until after you decide on whether or not to accept it. If you don't want to risk whatever the complication is, you can spend an XP to prevent the GMI.
Oh I totally understand the GMI concept. This use, as I understand it, seems a bit out of scope. It's not so much a complication as it is a penalty for RPing a certain way. Of course, this is assuming I understand the situation correctly.
Jan 11, 2016 3:59 pm
@Friar_Tuk; You are right in a way to say that I am offering you XP to ditch the other party members. And XP is a reward, so yes I am rewarding you for going against the rest of the party. It is a very different system to be sure and I struggled with it when Numenera first came out.

What I learned as I read the book and commentary on the internet forums however is that this game is trying to push the boundaries of traditional gaming styles. There is nothing wrong with traditional hack-and-slash style play, but this game isn't into that. This game wants to discover things rather than kill and conquer things.

I am offering Kviet and Yaru a devil's bargain. Both characters have close ties of friendship to other members of the group. I am challenging those bonds to discover how deep the bonds go in their players' minds. Will they take the easy path, or help their friends and face the challenges that may bring? I want us to discover something about the characters. I don't intend to challenge these bonds often, I'm not trying to turn characters against each other. I just want to establish the group dynamic more solidly.

I am offering a thing to make a character "more powerful" at the potential cost of a bond of friendship. Whether you take the XP or not we discover something about your character. If I continued to challenge these bonds in the same way we would not learn anything new about the character and that would not be interesting, so I won't be doing that. And you don't need to worry about the cost of one XP to refuse, there is plenty to be had very soon.

I hope this helps clear things up.
Jan 11, 2016 4:01 pm
foolsmask says:
@Friar_Tuk; You are right in a way to say that I am offering you XP to ditch the other party members. And XP is a reward, so yes I am rewarding you for going against the rest of the party. It is a very different system to be sure and I struggled with it when Numenera first came out.

What I learned as I read the book and commentary on the internet forums however is that this game is trying to push the boundaries of traditional gaming styles. There is nothing wrong with traditional hack-and-slash style play, but this game isn't into that. This game wants to discover things rather than kill and conquer things.

I am offering Kviet and Yaru a devil's bargain. Both characters have close ties of friendship to other members of the group. I am challenging those bonds to discover how deep the bonds go in their players' minds. Will they take the easy path, or help their friends and face the challenges that may bring? I want us to discover something about the characters. I don't intend to challenge these bonds often, I'm not trying to turn characters against each other. I just want to establish the group dynamic more solidly.

I am offering a thing to make a character "more powerful" at the potential cost of a bond of friendship. Whether you take the XP or not we discover something about your character. If I continued to challenge these bonds in the same way we would not learn anything new about the character and that would not be interesting, so I won't be doing that. And you don't need to worry about the cost of one XP to refuse, there is plenty to be had very soon.

I hope this helps clear things up.
Masterfully explained! Honestly, I was pretty upset at the implications at first of the GM trying to force an RP path. Now that you've explained your process, I am actually excited about the possibilities this might bring!
Jan 11, 2016 4:19 pm
Thank you for the clarification. I am a bit...disconcerted...at the idea of granting a mechanical advantage or disadvantage in return for roleplayed action. As a player, I am very inclined to take the XP; I've already spent one and XP is the currency of character advancement. As Kveit...well I'm not so sure what choice Kveit is actually making here. She doesn't see or know about the XP, all she knows is that she can make it to the top faster than her comrades if she wants to. I think I know what she'd do, but if you had told me she could make it to the top faster than the others due to her great climb check (on the reroll that is), she would have made the same decision without the game mechanics meddling with it.

I'll be frank: I don't like this style of dilemma. I'm willing, more than willing, to toss aside mechanical advantage in favor of character appropriate roleplay. I don't like the idea of being "bribed" into such action by a game mechanic. It feels too "metagamey" to me. I'm not saying I won't participate, just being honest about where I am on this. I'm learning this game and system, and I'm totally willing to go along with the game and my GM. But this leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.
Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm
I look at it as the Gm on the meta side asking and introducing something to the narrative that was in the background at this point its in the front and part of the scene what does she think is more important, complete the rite and become an adult, or move forward with your friends with an unknown on passing? Your bond to your friends are now something to think about since it'll be in the narrative does this seem minor or major compared to your future? You decide though.
Jan 11, 2016 4:29 pm
I look at it as the Gm on the meta side asking and introducing something to the narrative that was in the background at this point its in the front and part of the scene what does she think is more important, complete the rite and become an adult, or move forward with your friends with an unknown on passing? Your bond to your friends are now something to think about since it'll be in the narrative does this seem minor or major compared to your future? You decide though.
Jan 11, 2016 4:42 pm
I'm fine with dilemmas and questions of character. I thrive on them in fact.

I guess the piece that is making look sideways is the use of XP in such a dilemma. For example: in 5e D&D, you can gain Inspiration by taking an action that is tactically unsound, but fits with your character's background. Inspiration grants a one time advantage. The idea of having XP, and thus character advancement, hinge on these situations is giving me pause.

I had heard some complaints about the Cypher System (and other systems that do this) surrounding the mechanic of using XP as an in-game expendable resource. Perhaps this is what I am reacting to.

I'm going along with it all, and I won't make a huge deal about it in the future, just expressing my initial reaction. I'll reserve judgement for now.
Jan 11, 2016 5:24 pm
I completely understand what you mean Friat_Tuk. I had the same reaction at first. It has been a couple years since this game came out. I wasn't impressed at first. I actually got a pdf review copy at the time of release, so i've been mulling this over for some time.

I also have issues with games that use XP as an spendable resource for players, but I feel it falls on the GM to make sure there is a sufficient flow if XP to make sure players don't feel penalized. It is a very large break from the "normal" method of games like D&D. So please tell me if it is a problem, I'll evaluate and see if I can give more liberally.

As for 5e D&D Inspiration rewarding tactically unsound actions, I disagree. It rewards action in keeping with your character's Personality, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws. For example, Goldain, a dwarven fighter has a Personality of "I've lost to many friends and I'm slow to make new ones" and an Ideal of "Responsibility, I do what I must and obey authority", a Bond of "My honor is my life" and a Flaw of "I have little respect for someone who isn't a proven warrior" (all taken directly from the Soldier Background). If this character sees the party rogue getting eaten by a troll while he has the opportunity to escape with the Princess which was the ultimate goal, and the path ahead is clear (because Goldain and the rogue cleared it on the way in) I would award Inspiration if he left the rogue to fend for himself, not only is it the tactically sound option...it fits with his character.

But I could go on for a long time about 5e D&D and its Inspiration mechanic. I am a huge fan of Inspiration and 5e in general, though I think that Inspiration should be handed out more than once a session personally. I get why the designers saw it being handed out to often as a problem, but I like having it flow freely. In my latest game I actually had a player use his Inspiration and he rolled a 2 and 4 when he needed a 12. He was sneaking past a sleeping black dragon wyrmling. When it woke up the cowardly(his Flaw) rogue ran back and hid behind the paladin (he rolled well on Initiative) ...so I gave him his Inspiration right back.
Jan 11, 2016 5:52 pm
That was my interpretation of Inspiration; but I was not very good about handing it out at the table. In practice, I handed out inspiration for fun RP, daring actions, and playing to personality. I awarded inspiration to a rogue who killed a panicking NPC because he had a background trait that read something like "Anyone who can't take care of themselves deserves what's coming to them." It was also a ridiculous and dramatic moment of RP that served no purpose tactically (they were in the midst of a heated battle with a Fire Elemental, pun intended).

I have no problem with how you are handling things. I'm not really attached to player advancement. Not why I play these games. I was more referencing the system in general to the population at large, and imagining bringing this game to my own table, where character advancement seems to be the end-all be-all to some of my players. Part of why I'm here is to learn and evaluate the Cypher System so I can run it.

I read a lot of promotional material and segments of the core book. I got the message that the game is supposed to emphasize discovery and RP over fighting, part of why I was interested to try it. I don't award XP based on combat in any system any more. I do chapter based leveling up in D&D campaigns and award XP by session in my Edge of the Empire game. I actively try to encourage RP and story based progression over hack and slash style gaming. I'm just not convinced yet that the XP system in Numenera encourages this in a way that is an improvement over other systems.

But, like I said, I'm reserving judgement. We are very early on in my first game of Numenera ever. There's plenty of room for my mind to be changed. Honestly, I'm hoping the game lives up to my hopes; they're such high hopes!
Jan 11, 2016 5:58 pm
I shall do my best.
Jan 11, 2016 6:16 pm
foolsmask says:
I shall do my best.
No pressure, lol! I've been loving the game so far, this mechanical moment just threw me for a loop. Keep up exactly what you've been doing!
Jan 12, 2016 6:30 pm
I'm a bit confused as to where things are at...do we need to make another roll to make it to the top or have we made it already?

And it looks like there was a mixup in foolsmask's recent post. It was Carrick that took the stim and not Galen. It looks like it was just a minor mixup, but it adds to my general uncertainty about what sort of thing I'm needing to post about....
Jan 13, 2016 2:19 am
I'm struggling somewhat with what Yaru's choice will be. I can see:

(a) no, I'm not bailing on my friend.
(b) I can totally recharge this thing and he can pick it up afterwards.
(c) what? I wasn't paying attention, I just assumed everyone would manage to make it.

So, still somewhat noodling.
Jan 13, 2016 5:29 pm
njohn858 says:
I'm a bit confused as to where things are at...do we need to make another roll to make it to the top or have we made it already?

And it looks like there was a mixup in foolsmask's recent post. It was Carrick that took the stim and not Galen. It looks like it was just a minor mixup, but it adds to my general uncertainty about what sort of thing I'm needing to post about....
Crap...sorry. I will fix that, but yes. Another check is now needed. Same parameters as before. The stim is still active for Carrick.
Jan 13, 2016 5:32 pm
@falryx...The one option you missed (or I was unclear in explaining) is that Yaru might be able to alter the controls to take more than one person. So yes, you could send Pha instead and hope to recharge the device, or Yaru could go now and let Pha make his own way or make an Int test to take you both. Or if something else occurs to you...there might be more options I haven't considered.
Jan 14, 2016 4:26 pm
I have a limit of applying 1 effort, is that right? The roll I have can be reduced from 5 -> 4 (pha) -> 2 (due to my specialization) -> 1 due to effort?
Jan 14, 2016 5:10 pm
I believe so.
Jan 14, 2016 5:12 pm
falryx says:
I have a limit of applying 1 effort, is that right? The roll I have can be reduced from 5 -> 4 (pha) -> 2 (due to my specialization) -> 1 due to effort?
yes, you get more Effort as your Tier(level) increases. 1 effort for now.
Jan 14, 2016 6:06 pm
Sorry. Again was incredibly busy. I am releasing issue orders for case i am not able to post:
Smash, kill them all and be bold (GM can rule my character if i am delaying game's advance)
I will post soon, anyways for the curent cycle. - so today no GM queue action needed.

Switched job and dived into deep waters.
Last edited January 14, 2016 6:07 pm
Jan 15, 2016 9:57 pm
Perhaps as a minor effect, we can ensure our safe delivery up top -- and if we're not first, we're 2nd and third.
Jan 15, 2016 9:59 pm
I don't think you get a minor effect on a 17...you get a +1 damage when rolling that in combat, but for actions, minor/major effects only trigger off of 19s and 20s
Last edited January 15, 2016 9:59 pm
Jan 16, 2016 12:26 am
njohn858 says:
I don't think you get a minor effect on a 17...you get a +1 damage when rolling that in combat, but for actions, minor/major effects only trigger off of 19s and 20s
Ah you're right - I was relying on some stuff online since my CRB wasn't handy. Reviewing page 88 in the CRB it aligns with this, versus what I read online.
Jan 16, 2016 2:26 pm
Soo was that a good suggestion? X3 Everyone should think about rubbing the belly of a dragon once in life right?
Jan 22, 2016 5:18 pm
Who wants which cypher? I'd kind of like to have the shocker!
Jan 22, 2016 5:24 pm
Same here, I also added two more Numenera to the pile also:

Disruptive Nodule L2:
Usable: Crystal nodule affixed to a melee weapon Effect: For the next 28 hours, each time the weapon the nodule is attached to strikes a solid creature or object, it generates a burst of nanites that directly attack organic cells. The affected target takes 1 additional point of damage and loses his next action.

Magnetic Shield L3:
Usable: Small pyramid-shaped metallic device Effect: For ten minutes, metal objects cannot come within immediate range of the activated device. Metal items already in the area when the device is activated are slowly pushed out.

Also don't forget your limit! Or you can looks at the GM... he'll probably like that...
Jan 22, 2016 5:26 pm
I'm going to add my Fireproof Spray L10: A nonliving object sprayed by this cypher has Armor against fire damage equal to the cypher’s level for 28 hours.

I'm going to take your Disruptive Nodule L2, because it's really awesome!
Jan 22, 2016 5:28 pm
Do we ever get a higher limit on the number of Cyphers we can carry?
Jan 22, 2016 5:45 pm
As a player I'll say yes, Glaive is two, Nano is three, Jack is two at Tier 1. Use them and find more since they're one time use. Those limits are the safe numbers.

If I was an sneaky GM I'd smile and say oh no you can have ten if you like... but each one over the cap you roll for Numenera Sickness (Is that what it's called?)
Jan 22, 2016 5:47 pm
I'd like to claim the Monoblade.
Jan 22, 2016 6:12 pm
Oh, not Numemera Sickness Cypher Danger.
Jan 22, 2016 6:13 pm
Naatkinson says:
Do we ever get a higher limit on the number of Cyphers we can carry?
At Third Tier all types increase the limit on cyphers by one.
Remnant says:
If I was an sneaky GM I'd smile and say oh no you can have ten if you like... but each one over the cap you roll for Numenera Sickness (Is that what it's called?)
It is called Cypher Danger, but sickness is a common result so that makes sense as well. There is a table I am supposed to roll on each day for each character that has more than their limit. I roll 1d100 and add ten for each cypher they have. If the result is 60 or lower, nothing happens. Above that bad stuff happens. It might simply cause one of your devices to stop working, cause some kind of radiation or chemical poison, or explode...depends on how unlucky you are. The rules also allow me to adjust the numbers as I see fit. For example a pill might be inert until ingested, so I could rule that the pill doesn't count. I plan on doing this, depending on the forms of your cyphers they will interact differently. You likely will figure out my game plan before to long.

So...Yes. You can have as many Cyphers as you want to carry...take 10, take 20 if you can find them! But be warned!!! :::insert diabolical villain style laughing here:::

So we now have a small pile of stuff. Don't feel like you have to take it all.It won't hurt my feelings. These are just random treasures. If something just doesn't appeal to you The Seer will be happy to take it off your hands. Feel free to post while we figure this out, but final decisions need to be made before encountering the Timmermen. I'll note character/player names as to who has expressed interest and strike-through when a decision is made, in hopes that will keep everything clear. Also, just need one of you to claim the Telepathy Implants, but there are enough for the whole group if you want to distribute them now that is fine.

Monoblade - Kveit/Friar_Tuk
Phase changer
Shocker
Telepathy Implants
Shocker - Galen/Naatkinsin, Pha/Remnant
Fire Proof Spray
Disruptive Nodule - Galen Naatkinson
Magnetic Shield
Jan 22, 2016 6:18 pm
I was going to get a Telepath Implant/Silver rune
Last edited January 22, 2016 6:19 pm
Jan 22, 2016 6:35 pm
Yeah, each player can get one of those, just one player needs to claim "possession" please.
OOC:
Also, Kaleth instituted an ooc tag which you may now notice at the top of the posting box here. I'll will start using this for my notes to you players if it works well for everyone. The first version was very faint, but it has changed now. He is taking comments in the Site Discussion forum if you have an input to give. I like the blue that is currently being used as of 1 o'clock EST on 1/22 but it might change if someone makes a better suggestion.
Jan 22, 2016 6:40 pm
I'll grab the phase changer and a crossbow/bolts. Should have IC post up later today.
Jan 25, 2016 5:10 pm
Is there a particular process for using our XP to improve or do we just do it as we get enough points?
Jan 25, 2016 5:24 pm
I figure when we're at a breaking point in the narrative we can actually use XP to 'move towards perfection' which you need to do four times before you make the next tier, if you're using a short term or long term expenditure of XP I guess that could be anytime in story.

Also p.12 of the Player's Guide lets you know what you can buy for 4 XP.
Last edited January 25, 2016 5:38 pm
Jan 26, 2016 1:05 am
As far as I'm concerned there isn't any time it is inappropriate to spend XP. How many stories are there where the hero discovers a new ability or skill or have a surge of power just at the right moment? It is dramatic and cool most of the time. So any time you have the XP you can spend it, even mid fight.

The only thing I won't allow is retroactive spending. You can't buy another level of Effort when you miss a roll by 1-3 and apply the bump backwards.
Jan 26, 2016 1:27 am
In that case I'll buy Scan (Tier 1 esoteric) before things go down for 4 Xp.
Jan 26, 2016 9:34 am
I know BlackStork is been busy but due to breakage of updates maybe and snow this weekend where the other 2 peps?
Jan 26, 2016 2:42 pm
Yeah. The weekends are always bad for posting on the site it seems. And with the bugs we've encountered I'm not to worried yet. Hopefully they will come back to the game.
Jan 26, 2016 3:29 pm
Sorry all, been busy at work and on the home front. Haven't taken the time to get caught up with the switch in narrative. Look for a post from me later today or tomorrow.
Jan 26, 2016 4:38 pm
No pressure. I know how it is.
Jan 26, 2016 10:22 pm
Going to spend 4 xp on increasing my Might Edge to 2
Jan 27, 2016 1:33 pm
Sooo is everyone okay or did the snow man army get people?
Jan 27, 2016 1:53 pm
"Do you want to build a snowman? Come on let's go and play...."
Jan 27, 2016 1:55 pm
Around my parts it'd be more of a slush monster by the end of the day maybe a dirty puddle. Trying to find out if we resolved the Cipher distribution before I go back to posting in the current thread. I need to find a hiding spot...
Jan 27, 2016 10:25 pm
I got destroyed by work... back to some normalcy.
Feb 2, 2016 4:17 am
Sorry for the delay. This weekend got filled up with personal stuff.
Feb 2, 2016 5:44 pm
No worries. *clenches butt cheeks and braces*
Feb 5, 2016 3:40 pm
So could we resolve the Cipher loadout/takeage from the Seer?
Feb 9, 2016 5:13 pm
Well...since no one is speaking up, I guess that's it.
Feb 9, 2016 5:23 pm
I don't know what you two are referring to. What still needed to be resolved?
Feb 9, 2016 5:43 pm
We are discussing the cyphers offered by the Seer. I asked players to speak up and claim any that they wanted. Some players spoke up, others didn't.

Monoblade - Kveit/Friar_Tuk
Phase changer - Galen/Naatkinson
Telepathy Implants
Shocker - Galen/Naatkinsin, Pha/Remnant
Fire Proof Spray
Disruptive Nodule - Galen Naatkinson
Magnetic Shield
Feb 9, 2016 5:44 pm
Yeah, I got the Disruptive Nodule and Force Nodule, so I'm all set.
Feb 9, 2016 5:45 pm
I had picked up the Phase Changer
Feb 9, 2016 7:35 pm
A quick clarification on spending XP:

As I understand, a character may spend 4xp to purchase a benefit (which includes stat increase, edge increases, etc.). Once a player has spent 24 XP, they go up to the next tier. Is that correct?

When we go to the next tier, the abilities for that tier become available for purchase?
Feb 9, 2016 8:55 pm
Kinda, it's 16 Xp. You must buy a stat pool inscrease, edge, and effort. There is an optional rule to get other things besides a skill which is the fourth purchase. Some tier 2 are free. Some can be a purchase instead of the skill . P 13 of the players guide gives the full details.
Feb 9, 2016 9:00 pm
Cool thank you. In that case, I am expending 4 xp to purchase an extra point of effort.
Feb 9, 2016 11:10 pm
Reminder 2 levels of effort from a pool will be cost of ability or task+3+2-edge only once
Feb 10, 2016 2:12 am
Can't imaging that Carrick or Pha are going to like this situation much.
Feb 10, 2016 2:34 am
It might have been my intention to stir the pot...
Feb 10, 2016 2:35 am
foolsmask says:
It might have been my intention to stir the pot...
I don't believe you!
Feb 13, 2016 3:47 pm
wow -- a guy goes on a business trip and what happens? :) will try and get a post up today.

Foolsmask: I hit vacation with the family tomorrow afternoon through Thursday evening -- so if there's things Yaru needs to do, you can drive him, or -- in the spirit of the character - Pha can drive him.
Feb 16, 2016 11:01 pm
Are those of us who are rushing to the village from the forest close enough to attack this next round?
Feb 17, 2016 12:31 am
I think it depends, would full run (speed task I think) this round and/or if that's at crossbow range or and round of movement and then melee attack. Good question. It probably took a bit for me when sneaking.
Feb 17, 2016 2:32 am
I think a speed test Difficulty 2(6) will get anyone who wants to be into the square and able to engage with the target of their choice. If you wish to stay at range, no Speed Test needed.
Feb 19, 2016 10:45 pm
I'm gonna be honest, I feel pretty epic right now :)
Feb 19, 2016 11:31 pm
Me too me too! Also if anyone hits me they take one damage.
Feb 23, 2016 6:18 pm
Also I'm unsure who's turn it is but I have no idea what I'm doing (Is someone attacking Amburn?) really but I'm enjoying it.
Feb 23, 2016 8:09 pm
With my roll of a 4, I feel MUCH LESS EPIC.
Feb 23, 2016 8:44 pm
This is the part where you say you're holding them back.
Feb 24, 2016 1:28 am
Anyone in the party may act. All the Timmemen have made their actions at this time.

@Remnant...Amburn has not been attacked directly, however there are five Timmermen (Goat, Owl, Boar, Badger, & Hyena) surrounding her. Carrick and Galen are protecting Kylia an Amburn at the moment. Pha has The Bull and Hound to deal with though...I wouldn't recommend diverting his attention at this moment.
Feb 24, 2016 5:04 am
Should I take another action or do I forfeit the first action with my inactivity? I'm ok either way.
Feb 24, 2016 5:07 am
No, you are good. You had Onslaught that unfortunetly missed. I was going to post about that in the morning, but you cna take a second action now if you want.
Feb 24, 2016 5:17 am
Ok. I figured it missed with a 4... i'll follow up with another one... :)
Feb 24, 2016 11:14 am
@ falryx Which one were you shooting at? It makes a difference for the target number you needed to hit.
Feb 24, 2016 3:02 pm
Hey all, sorry for the radio silence. I've been a bit ill and I'm playing catch up in several areas because of it.
Feb 24, 2016 3:17 pm
I thought you were trying to figure out this whole time how to get out of full body cuffs... Also welcome back. Look in the FAD game for a good laugh.
Feb 24, 2016 6:25 pm
OK gang, Friar_Tuk has decided to pair down the games he is involved in and unfortunately he will be leaving our game. I understand how it is and appreciate him letting me know rather than just vanishing. He also requested a grand exit for Kveit. I have something cooked up that I think will make everyone happy, but I want to see one more round or actions out of everyone before I play that card.
Feb 24, 2016 8:03 pm
Ack - thanks for the heads up!
Feb 24, 2016 8:04 pm
I take it Black Stork also?
Feb 24, 2016 8:09 pm
Yeah, sorry guys, I over-extended myself. With not having a handle on the Numenera rules, this is one of my more high-maintenance games, just on a time consumption/effort level. I can post, usually daily, but I don't have a lot of time for researching rules beyond prep for my face to face weekly game.

I want everyone to know this is not a reflection of the game, this campaign, any of you players or the GM. Simply prioritizing time management realistically.

I'm disappointed to not be seeing this story through, and I love all the character tie-ins.

Good luck and have fun guys!
Feb 24, 2016 8:10 pm
It sucks to see you go, but I see your point. I'm kind of over-extended too, so I haven't been joining any other games.
Feb 24, 2016 8:12 pm
I wonder if there's a market for 'slow' play by post games, like once a week or something? My agents of oblivion player is bimonthly now.
Feb 24, 2016 8:16 pm
If I knew the system, I could swing it, but I really am at sea. I have the book, but I just can't justify the time to do the necessary research.

Its been really fun playing with those of you I'm not in other games with!

@remnant: A lot of my game have just become that. Its part of why I'm still able to keep things going at all sometimes. I have two games that have been paused for weeks now.
Feb 24, 2016 9:12 pm
@Friar_Tuk - sorry to see you go, but I completely understand. It's been fun interacting with Kveit, and I hope the rest of your games benefit from your added attention! :D
Mar 3, 2016 4:08 pm
I came down with a bad stomach bug so I won't be able to post until tomorrow at the soonest. Carry on!
Mar 3, 2016 5:03 pm
*Pha flies around doing air donuts*
Mar 3, 2016 5:29 pm
The Death Flu abounds. It may've hit foolsmask too..
Mar 4, 2016 4:51 pm
Anyone taking bets on if I'll fall off the flying device?
Mar 4, 2016 6:28 pm
Well.. I don't have ride the lightning yet, so I hope not. :)
Mar 4, 2016 6:31 pm
I'm on a speeding rocket, with a dead man at the wheel trying to figure out how to take off his gloves and fly without dying since it's stuck on 'Floor it'... Very much a micro movie scene over the carnage and horrors below.
Mar 4, 2016 7:29 pm
wonder if you can just push buttons on the glove and make it drive, or grab the glove from the outside and drive it. :)
Mar 4, 2016 7:33 pm
We'll see after the break.
Mar 4, 2016 7:46 pm
Sorry gang. I got sidetracked with taxes and a plumbing issue. I spent 10 hours on the phone this week just trying to track down some missing paperwork. I wanted to be an honest and upstanding citizen and they made it as hard as they could. Then the pipes burst in my house. Damage wasn't too bad but dealing with all the stuff that comes with this is a drag.

I am going to have time tonight to get things going again.

Again, sorry about the unexplained absence.
Mar 4, 2016 7:49 pm
No worries.

I'm dreading The Tax Beast myself. I think I've carved out the morning of 3/12 to suffer through that.
Mar 4, 2016 7:56 pm
I have time between 13 games so take your time. X3 just don't put us in torrential rain.
Mar 7, 2016 7:10 pm
I should probably take a recovery... and shake a pants leg out now.
Mar 7, 2016 7:11 pm
Please land before shaking out your pant legs.....the rest of us are below you! ;)
Mar 8, 2016 5:56 am
Man...to bad nobody took that Level 10 Fireproofing Spray...that would sure be handy right now...XD

Well, Pha is back and seemingly an expert pilot of the personal craft. Maybe that will...spark...some ideas.

Sorry for the bad pun there.
Mar 11, 2016 3:54 pm
Since Blackstork is MIA maybe I can start a new connection with someone else... we're technically bonded over the incident in the village.
Mar 15, 2016 1:55 pm
I'd like to setup a connection due to Blackstork being out with either Galen or Carrick based on what Kevit did. I understand a bit also being an outsider to the village.

Also Falryx may be slow updating due to loss of power plus life.
Mar 15, 2016 3:27 pm
The connection refers to holding you in disdain because you don't use a weapon, correct? I can do that. :)
Mar 15, 2016 3:58 pm
I was thinking of a different connection just in case he does come back (She opted to stay with the children).

The one I had that seemed appropriate is we had a mutual friend that I feel I owe something.
Mar 15, 2016 5:20 pm
Remnant says:
Also Falryx may be slow updating due to loss of power plus life.
I went and checked the Absence thread because I read that sentence much differently than you intended it. Life has a way of getting in the way of fun, but glad it wasn't tragic.
Mar 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Just a heads up, I'm going to be on the road/out of town for the next month, and the regularity of my postings will probably suffer for it. I'll try to stay on top of it, but I don't really know what my day-to-day schedule will look like. Please don't let my absence prevent the game from continuing.

And I just want to say, this game has been a blast for me to play in. Thanks all for your creativity!
Mar 18, 2016 11:35 am
I think between your characters thoughts of the turmoil of our current reality and the weight of what we may need to do, shock I think would be a good excuse for you not saying much at times (i.e. You're out in the boonies with no time or connection so no posting). I'd talk it over with Foolsmask maybe he can string you along off your backstory on what your PC would do with a bit of help (someone's also going to need to watch the Sky Cutters at time if we leave them for a bit). Or we all post slower for the next month. I also think this has been an exciting game... mostly since I didn't fall to my death but fun.
Mar 18, 2016 3:06 pm
Well, it will really come down to what the party wants to do. If they run off and do a thing, that's where we will go. That being said, I ran a D&D game for 4 years with inconsistent attendance by several players. I have no problem pretending your character is helping "off camera" and letting you jump in when you can. So just assume your character is with the bulk of the PCs at any given time. I will try not to split the party to much, but that scene with Pha was too tempting.

Have safe travels. See you when we see you.
Mar 19, 2016 2:48 pm
Sorry for my absence, I got hammered by work after my weekend plans were thrown afoul by a "fairly sized windstorm" (to quote Cliff Mass).
Mar 19, 2016 2:50 pm
...I have experience to spend. Will try to get that done this weekend.
Apr 2, 2016 7:17 pm
Spent 4 XP for a new Esoterry (push).
Apr 13, 2016 9:35 pm
Just got home from my roadtrip. I'm going to crash tonight, but will be back in the PbP saddle tomorrow or Friday.
Apr 13, 2016 10:24 pm
Welcome back! Foolsmask has been busy andor away as well.
Apr 29, 2016 6:22 pm
Going to step out of the game for now to save space on my forum list. Please re-invite me if it gets started back up.
Apr 29, 2016 11:45 pm
Also withdrawing to tidy up my forum list. Like Naatkinson I'd welcome the chance to play Yaru again if it gets back up and running.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.