Character Creation and Game Discussion

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 3, 2015 7:26 pm
Mechanisms aren't imbued with metallic arts. Metallic arts are intrinsic to the individual. Allomancers can 'burn' metals in their gut to create specific effects in the world - such as a coinshot who can 'burn' steel to 'push' against any metal. The name 'coinshot' comes from their tendency to use coins as projectiles. Since coins are metal, they can use their allomantic power to 'push' a coin with incredible velocity. Feruchemists 'store' traits and effects in their 'metalminds' which they (and only they) can retrieve later. To use the same metal as an example, a steel metalmind can be used to store speed. To store speed the Feruchemist will be forced to be 'slower' while they are storing, but later can 'tap' their steel metalmind for a speed boost. Hemalurgy is used to steal powers and attributes from others (by killing them with metal spikes). The type of metal used determines the power or trait 'stolen' (you don't have to worry about this one, it's unlikely that I will let any characters have a hemalurgic spike without a really good explanation as hemalurgy is a closely guarded secret known only to the Lord Ruler and the Inquisitors).

With respect to someone skilled and working with contraptions, that can definitely work. The setting is a classic fantasy setting, the most significant technological advance is canned food (notably, they don't have gunpowder - specifically because the Lord Ruler has suppressed the knowledge of any technological advance he could foresee being used to give rebellions an edge against expertly trained soldiers). I'm ok with gears, pulleys and a basic understanding of mechanics and mechanisms (they have city gates, make coinage and have very fancy noble houses, after all), from which it follows that a character could be particularly skilled at mechanics and clever with respect to creating contraptions (albeit simple ones, that doesn't mean they can't be effective). Probably also you would make liberal use of ceramics (in Alloy of Law, which is a standalone book set in the 'wild west future' of the Scadrial, ceramics are used to good effect to fight coinshots, who, lets face it, are the primary type of allomancer people worry about). So yes, absolutely can make it work (you will probably want to have decent Resources and Wits, as I can see Resources rolls to acquire odd bits to make a thing, and Wits rolls to pull off the creation effort. You would be playing a very uniquely skilled character (with a skillset the Lord Ruler has a distinctive interest in suppressing/eliminating). Which could be fun!

If you're interested in combining aptitude with magic for greater effect, being a Lurcher may work nicely (a Misting who uses Iron). Lurchers are the inverse of coinshots. Where coinshots can push metals, lurchers can pull metals towards themselves. Not as flashy, or as immediately useful (a lurcher's primary function in the book is to nullify enemy coinshots by pulling projectiles into a wooden shield). However, a lurcher skilled at making contraptions could make things that are lever activated, and trigger them from a distance by 'pulling' the lever (or relocate a metal device by pulling the whole device towards themselves). I'm sure you could come up with even more creative things with details about a task and context. I recommend Lurcher only because, if you were a Coinshot all the clever contraption stuff may pale in comparison to your ability to 'shoot coins' and 'leap as if you were flying' (by pushing against metal on the ground, and so throwing yourself into the air). Lurchers tend to get short shrift because coinshots are so much more effective, but I think a think a Lurcher that is a tinkerer could be a very interesting character to play!
Dec 3, 2015 7:27 pm
My concept for Erstwhem aka Lynch seems to spread between scheming/being connected and the fact he's probably the only one most to negotiate with someone after picking them up by the throat. Is anyone actually playing a Noble?
Last edited December 3, 2015 7:28 pm
Dec 3, 2015 7:33 pm
I believe Ahsas is considering playing an obligator (which would mean he must be a noble). That said, any noble running with this crew is interested in 'taking down the ruling nobles', given the crew's cause is revenge against 'the nobility'. So, while Lynch may have issues with nobles (and that may lead to some interesting conflicts of personality within the crew), it's likely that he'd be willing to tolerate any nobles in the crew given they are commonly united against 'all the rest of the nobles'.
Dec 3, 2015 7:58 pm
*shrugs* Until they do something that looks shifty 'maybe they are on the up and up' everyone's shifty even me though. XD The enemy of my enemy I guess.
Dec 3, 2015 10:59 pm
Still working through the character creation process - I should have more time this evening to hash through it all, but I'm imagining playing some sort of Pewterarm...a bouncer-type who is generally wellknown as one to be avoided. Potentially the muscle of a ring leader or a rough tavern or something like that.

I'm toying with the idea of doing a bit of a hybrid between a pewter-burning allomantic and a steel-storing feruchemist. Refresh my memory...were those types of hybrids common during the Mistborn era, or did they come later?
Dec 4, 2015 12:04 am
At the moment, I'm working on the idea that Farden [last name to be determined] was the third son of a poor minor family in the city that the game will be set in. For reasons yet to be determined, Farden's father, whom he idolized, was executed publicly by the Lord Ruler, while the rest of the city's nobles looked on. The death of his father caused him to Snap. He was then given to the Canton of Finance where he threw himself into his studies in the hopes of finding a way to hurt the Lord Ruler and the nobles that support him. Working with the people he hates, overseeing contracts between people who laughed at his father's public death, and having to smile and be professional the whole time has turned Farden into a strong actor and quick thinker.

He brings his abilities as a Soother, his silver tongue, and his connection to the Obligators to the crew.
Dec 4, 2015 2:38 am
njohn858 says:
I'm toying with the idea of doing a bit of a hybrid between a pewter-burning allomantic and a steel-storing feruchemist. Refresh my memory...were those types of hybrids common during the Mistborn era, or did they come later?
I'm pretty sure hybrids are completely unknown in the first book. I haven't read the series myself but my brother and I discussed it a lot as he was reading it. I think hybrid rules are in the book because they released the book before Sanderson was done with this world (if he even is at this point, I haven't checked in a while.)
Dec 4, 2015 3:31 am
foolsmask says:
I'm pretty sure hybrids are completely unknown in the first book. I haven't read the series myself but my brother and I discussed it a lot as he was reading it. I think hybrid rules are in the book because they released the book before Sanderson was done with this world (if he even is at this point, I haven't checked in a while.)
That's kinda what I thought. After pondering it some more and refreshing my memory on a few things, hybrids aren't completely unknown, but they are extremely rare. They're pretty common in the Alloy of Law timeframe, but that may be because of what happened at the end of Hero of Ages. (I'm trying to keep things spoiler-free for those who haven't read the books yet).

Sanderson isn't done with the world yet, but he's done with the era that Mistborn is set in. He's doing three sets of trilogies spanning three different eras (with another book (Alloy of Law) thrown in as something of a prequel to Era 2). Book 1 (or 2 depending on if you count AoL) of Era 2 was released last month and I believe Book 2 (or 3) is due early next year. Era 2 is set in a stereotypical Western setting: trains, expansion, guns, etc. Era 3 is supposed to be set in the future, which I'm hoping means space travel. Pushing and Pulling yourself through the Final Frontier would be pretty sweet.
Last edited December 4, 2015 3:48 am
Dec 4, 2015 4:32 am
Here's my first go at my character concept. I'm open to changing it as needed.

Character Name: Hiram
Concept: Justice-seeking Pewterarm
Race: Skaa
Sex: Male
Height: 6'
Weight: 220lbs

Drive: Justice
I joined the crew because I was tired of being trapped by social injustice. I see the massive chasm between the daily hurt and pain the skaa face and the luxury the nobles dwell in, and it's just not right! This stemmed from seeing a noble casually kill my brother and not be held accountable for the action.

Profession: Thug
My day job is as the muscle of Ged's Bar. Ged was fine letting disagreements reach a certain point, but once that line gets crossed, I step in to settle the matter. My reputation precedes me to the point where those in an argument quickly settle the matter if they saw me approaching.

Specialty: Perceptive
I'm quick to gauge a situation and see the path of least resistance - the option that gets the job done most efficiently.

Feature: Scarred
My face has a jagged scar running across it - a souvenir from a noble for not getting out of the way of his carriage fast enough. I escaped with a scar - my kid brother wasn't as fortunate.

Personality: Sleeping Giant
I'm one who can take a lot before losing his temper, but once I lose it, you'd better get out of my way.

Tragedy: I was walking the streets with my kid brother and we were run down by a noble's carriage. There had been no warning given; we just hadn't moved out of the way quick enough. I almost died, and my brother did. As I recovered, I discovered my ability to burn Pewter.

Destiny: To bring the nobles down to the level of the skaa.

Other Q/A:
6. Do you have any special powers (like Allomancy or Feruchemy)? 
Average (Misting - Pewter).

7. Are you especially fit, smart or charismatic? 
Strong: Fit

Being a bouncer, I have to stay incredibly fit to continue coming out on top of each disagreement. Burning Pewter greatly enhances further my innate abilities, making me quite effective at my responsibilities.

8. Are you well-off, or do you struggle to get by?
Weak

Sustenance is a daily struggle, which is why I'm still working at Ged's, and one of the reasons why joining the Crew appealed to me.
Last edited December 4, 2015 2:31 pm
Dec 4, 2015 8:21 am
@Ahsas - sounds great!

@njohn858 - a couple things. First, you may be happy to know that Alloy of Law was a 'stand alone' book, and that Shadows of Self is the first of a trilogy set in the '1930s' with the second book coming out in January. Also, the whole 'western' series with Wax and Wayne is a bonus trilogy! The intended "Era 2" was a 'modern' story, with "Era 3" being a space opera. So space is coming, but not for a long while.

Second, your character looks interesting, as several other players are Mistings, I still want to prohibit a Mistborn. While the game designers went to great lengths to balance Mistborns against Mistings, I'd prefer each character has a unique skill instead of a skill better than the 'jack of all trades' on the team. If you want Strong Powers, that means your only option is a Feruchemist (with all Feruchemical powers).
Dec 4, 2015 12:18 pm
On an unrelated note: I've created for myself a game master notes subforum - can anyone see it?
Dec 4, 2015 2:28 pm
I'm not seeing a game master notes forum....

That sounds good about the Mistborn. I'll reduce it to a Misting (Pewter) and leave everything else pretty much the same.
Dec 4, 2015 3:33 pm
Mateo Santiago

1) Why did you join the Crew?
Mateo joined the crew because he believes they will be able to help him hurt avenge his father's humiliating public execution.

2) How did you live before joining the crew?
I was a third son in from a minor noble family of the city. We grew up relatively poor, although far better off than the skaa. After my father was executed by the Lord Ruler, I was given to the Canton of Finance where I studied hard in the hope of learning how to hurt the Lord Ruler and the nobility that support him. While studying in the Canton of Finance, Mateo learned to earn the trust and friendship of the people he despised. He was constantly surrounded by "friends", but always alone.

3) What special skill do you bring to the crew?
Silver tongue

4) What is your most distinctive feature?
Canton of Finance eye tattoos.

5) How do other people describe your personality?
Sincere

6) Do you have any special powers?
Average - Soother

7) Are you especially fit, smart, or charismatic?
Strong - Smart and charismatic

8) Are you well-off, or do you struggle to get by?
Weak - Mateo's family was poor to begin with. The public execution of his father hurt the family's fortunes even further. As a brand new Obligator, he is still poor.

9) What is the worst thing that has ever happened to you?
Seeing the Lord Ruler execute my father for banned books that implied that he had skaa sympathies.

10) What do you believe is your ultimate purpose?
Hurt the Final Empire.

----------------------------------------

Powers (Average):
Soother
- Focused emotion (Suspicion)

Attributes (Strong):
Physique: 2
Charm: 6
Wits: 5

Standing (Weak):
Resources: 2
Influence: 4
Spirit: 3

Resilience:
Health: 4
Willpower: 8

Traits & Burdens:
Drive: Avenge his father's humiliating death
Profession: Obligator
Specialty: Finance and trade expert
Feature: Obligator eye tattoos
Personality: Sincere

Tragedy:
Watched the Lord Ruler execute his father in public.

Destiny:
Bring down the Final Empire.

Props:
Misting vial (3 charges of brass)
Disguise
Last edited December 4, 2015 5:38 pm
Dec 4, 2015 4:57 pm
Guess I should throw this up as well.

Character Name: Erstwhem Crew Name: Lynch
Concept: Disgruntled Factory Worker
Race: Skaa
Sex: Male
Height: 1.95 m
Weight: 125 kg

Drive: Expose the Nobles as Frauds
They know, we know it and the Lord All Might ‘ee knows it and does nothing, they’re a bunch of thin necked twits for the most part. Nothing up stairs most of em can’t do more than make a nice cushy place for themselves to roost and squawk about how they’ve accomplished something. For all their Noble titles all they really do is walk over the common bloke and act like their shite don’t stink. How many years ‘ave they been at de’ top?

How much has changed for the betta? Not just themselves, fo us ‘ere on the bottom. I can get ‘em not trying to give me a leg up mate but they’re just one royal cluster #)(% up away from their ‘mates’ shoving em down here wit de lot of us. What makes dem so great that dey should be in charge? Besides making sure they live all comfortable like, what are they really doing? What happens if some’in all horrific like ‘appens and one of them weren’t here to’morrow eh? Nothing. That’s what da lot is worth mate… Nothing. If you’re not going to help us get a betta life maybe we should be in charge, we can’t screw up more than them now can we?

Profession: Laborer
I've worked the machines in the Facotry, the Cannery, repaired them blasted machines, worked on construction and building maintenance, a regular gutter wrench monkey I is.

Specialty: Connected/Always have a Plan
Been around a while, I do right by the people I work with and those who work for me. Upper Management has no idea what really goes on and they 'pretend' to be the Boss, they have no clue really. If I do anything it's either to prep for something or finish something. Never move in big strides unless you have to and always leave em guess where you're going and where you came from. The best plans are the ones aren't the ones that work perfectly... they're the ones people don't realize until it's too late.

Feature: Steely Resolve/Brawny
We can go back and forth all day on things talking things out or slugging it. Either way I dish out more than my fair share. If you think I just bowed out and you've won one over on me... keep thinking that boyo... what's the worse that could happen.

Personality: Intense
*stares* People say I'm passionate about what I believe in. Some say I'm angry all the time... Some say I'm a man of action less people see or notice until the full weight is out there. Someone's got to be that guy right. The one you look for in the night when you screwed up, the one people come to when a problem needs to be fixed, the evil they know versus the one they don't.

Tragedy: Realization of how little the lives of Skaa are valued.
The final straw was hearing about an excavated area in the factories for expansion. Workers found people Skaa, buried in a mass grave and still alive, upper management ordered the area to be 'filled in' for foundation use on a later date and to build around it. Who does that? The people had been underground and without food for so long they couldn't move, they were packed too tight. What's worse is the fact they forgot someone had recently buried Skaa here to reallocate the area they were living in. Supposedly afterwards it was drummed up as just a rumor to get malcontent going through the workers... we know better.

Destiny: Free the Skaa.

Other Q/A:
6. Do you have any special powers (like Allomancy or Feruchemy)?

Weak (No Powers take +2 Traits).

7. Are you especially fit, smart or charismatic?
Strong: With a mug like this you'd be surprised what goes on in my head I get things moving like a well greases cog...

8. Are you well-off, or do you struggle to get by?
Average: I ain't got much but I ain't dead and people know if I stand by something it's something I believe in.

Other stuff
Target: Noble
Method: Theft

Attributes
Physique 5
Charm 4
Wits 4

Standing
Resources 2
Influence 5
Spirit 4

Resilience
Health 7
Reputation 9
Willpower 8

Equipment/Props: Padded Leather Armor (Apron) & Hammer (2H)
Dec 5, 2015 2:20 am
Finished my concept finally.
Name: Dezire
Concept: Rioting Con Artist and Thief
Race: Skaa; Sex: Female; Age: 23; Height: 5' 4"; Weight: 108lbs

1. Why did you join the crew?
No matter how good I am, I know I can't do it on my own. I need support, people to watch my back, and run interference. The crew offers the support I need to acheive my goals.

DRIVE: Become the best thief in the empire.

2. How did you live before you joined the crew?
I have never worked an honest day in my life. Stealing and scamming became my way of life early. A pretty face and well placed lie were just as useful as being sneaky and stealthy growing up. My spoils always went to feed my family though. Mom and Dad weren't happy about it, but they never punished me for it, it just made life easier.

PROFESSION: Con-Artist & Thief

3. What special skill do you bring to the crew?
I have been forced to steal often in my life. It is more than just a survival skill though. I enjoy challenging myself, and I'm good at it.

SPECIALTY: Breaking and Entering

4. What is your most distinctive feature?
The Noble blood I possess is strong. With a little cleaning up, I can easily pass as one of them. Sometimes even my own people fail to see that I am Skaa. Sometimes I can use this to my advantage, other times they accuse me of putting on airs, and acting above my station. I may not always correct people when they male assumptions, but I don't abuse the gift.

FEATURE: Can easily pass for a Noble.

5. How do other people describe your personality?
I try to live my life the way I know my family would want me to, finding joy and fun when I can. We live in a harsh world and learning to take pleasure in even the small things is a victory.

PERSONALITY: Exuberant

6. Do you have any special powers?
Yes. I am a Rioter. A Misting gifted with the ability to burn Zinc.

Average (Misting - Zinc)

7. Are you especially fit, smart, or charismatic?
I'm the complete package. Beautiful and fun at parties. Smart as a whip and stronger than most people expect, but my specialty is pulling second story jobs.

Strong (beautiful strong and smart)

8. Are you well-fed or do you struggle to get by?
I can never seem to keep what I take. I always find someone more deserving, someone with needs greater than my own. I don't resent

Weak (not exceptional)

9. What is the worst thing that ever happened to you?
I failed in a big way once. I fell in with some bad people once. Their leader was some snot nose noble who had more money than sense. I was seduced by the opportunities I was promised, but I had to pass a test. I shot my mouth off and bragged that I could beat any challenge they could come up with, swore on my family's life. The task they set was steal a royal seal from a rival house. I managed to get in without being noticed, but getting out was harder. They nearly beat me to death, all for a simple seal. I Snapped. I never expected that. Once I felt the burn set in I managed to play my captors against each other and when it was down to the last man, I convinced him to let me go. When I returned home, the other noble was waiting. He made me pay for failure. It wasn't my own life I had wagered though, it was my family.

TRAGEDY: I was to late to save my family.

10. What do you believe is your ultimate purpose?
I will see the noble who killed my family destroyed for his deeds. Not just dead, I will dismantle his life and make him beg for the embrace of death. Then I will grant his wish.

DESTINY: Kill the noble who murdered my family.

Powers
Misting (Zinc 5)
Stunt: Slow-Burning (40 minutes per charge)

Attributes
Physique: 4
Charm: 5
Wits: 4

Standings
Resources: 3
Influence: 3
Spirit: 3

Resiliences
Health: 7
Willpower: 7

Props
Misting Vial (Zinc -3 charges)
Formal Clothing
Lockpicks
Dec 5, 2015 9:11 am
It seems that spaceseeker is the only who hasn't done the questionnaire (and njohn858 needs a tragedy and destiny) - I expect you're still reading the deluge of information on the system and setting that I've thrown up?
Dec 5, 2015 10:16 am
I have read them all and wish there were more to read.
Dec 5, 2015 10:51 am
In the interest of keeping things going while the enthusiasm is here, I'm going to start the game. Those not finished, and still working at their characters, can jump in as soon as they are comfortable. The game will begin at the start of your first 'job' together - I am starting after you've met and decided to overthrow the nobility of Mantiz (the city the game is set in). This is an opportunity to retroactively build character relationships (by reflecting on how you met others etc while playing/interacting).

I am new to this system as well, so lets see how it plays out! :)
Dec 5, 2015 2:27 pm
Candi says:
It seems that spaceseeker is the only who hasn't done the questionnaire (and njohn858 needs a tragedy and destiny) - I expect you're still reading the deluge of information on the system and setting that I've thrown up?
I had listed my Tragedy/Destiny as:

Tragedy: I was walking the streets with my kid brother and we were run down by a noble's carriage. There had been no warning given; we just hadn't moved out of the way quick enough. I almost died, and my brother did. As I recovered, I discovered my ability to burn Pewter.

Destiny: To bring the nobles down to the level of the skaa.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll change it up.
Last edited December 5, 2015 2:27 pm
Dec 5, 2015 6:20 pm
@njohn858 - I think what Candi means is your Destiny and Tragedy need to be boiled down into a single statement, sentence or word just like your other Traits. This way they can affect your dice pools during play. For example my character has the Tragedy "I was to late to save my family" so if during play I stop to do something while I know the other members of the Crew are in need, there is a dramatic reason for a penalty to that action. Of course these cut both ways, I can just as easily use the my Tragedy to help me overcome a challenge that is keeping me from helping my Crew if my actions are to get away from the thing that is holding me up.

I think your Destiny and Tragedy are fine, in fact your Destiny probably works as written, But if you could boil down your Tragedy to that one sentence "thing that sticks with your character" that would complete your character sheet.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.