Chapter 1: The Letorneau Plantation

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 5, 2015 10:51 am
This was one step, the first step, of a much bigger plot. The biggest plot the skaa had ever hatched. The nobility of Mantiz, a small city in the Western Dominance, would be overthrown. Some murdered, some merely replaced by skaa sympathizers, or, skaa themselves. Before a plan could unfold, however, you needed security. One of you had heard of Sastren, a coppercloud rumoured to be the very best at hiding people and plots. Before she would help you, she needed proof that you were serious, and she needed work done. Her request brought you here, to a the Letorneau plantation a half days forced march from Mantiz. Skaa work the fields while house guards wander amongst them, chastising those who slow their pace and whipping those who stop or fall in exhaustion. Here, somewhere in the house that overlooks the fields, is a notebook with detailed observations of suspicious skaa activity within the city of Mantiz. Sastren wants the book.

You were lucky. Several coincidences have made this job easier. Some of you with skaa blood are familiar with a family or two that works the plantation, and an order from the Canton of Finance requested an obligator visit the plantation and review and authorize the most recent batch of transactions. Above all, Zara Latorneau, the minor noble who oversees the plantation - and a fiercely renowned coinshot - is away on her annual trip to Luthadel to visit with the families her plantation supplies. The plan is simple: get in, find the notebook, take the notebook, and get out.

So, here you all are in the ashen fields overlooking the plantation. Beyond the plantation fields sits a quaint wooden house with statues of mythical beasts equally spaced around the perimeter. The sun hangs low in the sky, night will be upon you within the hour.

Beat: 5 minutes
Dec 5, 2015 11:15 am
Mateo pulls his cloak tighter around his thin frame as he examines the house. He turns back to the others in the group with an easy smile and his characteristically warm voice. "I should probably arrive before sundown. It will give me more time to learn where everything is, but once I'm there, I may have trouble communicating what I learn. It would be good to know what everyone will be doing and have a way of coordinating our actions."
Dec 5, 2015 2:37 pm
Hiram scratched his chin and hummed for a moment, thinking. "It might be worth our time to work the fields with the other skaa as a way of blending in and tracking down our contacts." He spat to one side, "They won't notice a few more hands, and wouldn't recognize us as new anyway. But working alongside the skaa would allow us to get in close and if we can find the Rintries, they might be willing to provide some information on how to gain access into the manor."
Dec 5, 2015 6:49 pm
Turning to Mateom, Dezire says "Take me in as your 'personal assistant'. I'll be able to slip in an out of the house and communicate with the others, and help you look for the notebook."
Last edited December 5, 2015 6:50 pm
Dec 5, 2015 8:37 pm
Mateo runs a hand over his shaved head in thought. After only a moment's consideration, he nods with conviction. "Yes. That will work perfectly. I will be able to hold their attention and give you the space you need."
Dec 5, 2015 9:39 pm
Lynch busied himself studying the lay of the man and attempting to remember what was important where buildings were and what might be useful. "Right some in with the common folk works fa me, sounds like a good way t' blend in. Some look propa so being on the inspection would work for those who don't look like they'd lug a sack of potatoes 'n de daily." he agreed nodding to the area that looked like the man house were the book probably was. "Since we're splitting up we could try and attempt to get a bit of intelligence gathering on the place within the hour before the sun sets if it looks complicated to find it and do a drop outside the building for one of us to pick up. What the guards look like for numba n patrols, where the tools are turned back in in case we 'ave need of equipment, where the food silo is or water storage is for sabotage maybe as a distraction. If you can mark an area that looks secluded with little in the way of guards for our entry or where you'll escape when you're in that'd be great." he added after a few seconds checking off in his mind what they could be doing.

With the sun going down they'd probably have to decide if what they'd need to do, all sneak in after dark or possibly a hand off to not arise suspicion of the inspector and crew going in.
Dec 6, 2015 7:31 am
"I think we go in now and find the book, steal it quietly. Those staying outside sneak in after dark and make contact with the people we know. Hunker down somewhere safe and I will come find you and bring you the package. Then you get out again. In the morning the inspection team leaves after completing their work and having a nice breakfast and some polite conversation." She looks around for agreement or objection.
Dec 6, 2015 7:38 am
Mateo nods. "Agreed. We should get a move on though. We want to be there with light to spare." He looks at Dezire with an apologetic expression. "If you're going to be playing my personal assistant, I would like to apologize beforehand. I will be playing my part as well, which may require me to be less than friendly to a skaa. You'll have to carry my pack as well." Mateo passes it to Dezire, straightens up, and a cold expression settles on his face. He turns towards the house and starts walking without a backwards glance.
Dec 6, 2015 8:04 am
"As long as you remember it is just play-acting later, we shan't have a problem." She hefts the bag and scurries to catch up then falls instep demurely behind him, eyes down cast. It is never to early to "get in character"
Dec 6, 2015 9:01 am
Outside the House - Mateo, Dezire

Mateo leads the walk along the path, which is lightly dusted by ash. As you near the house, plantation workers notice your approach and hurry to clear the ash from the pathway a dozen or so feet ahead of you. Dezire notices their downcast, submissive gazes give way to a brief glare at the obligators back as they pass.

When you arrive at the entrance to the house a house guard, dressed in chainmail and carrying a long spear, approaches you. "Evening." He bows his head slightly in deference to Mateo, "We've been expecting you. I've sent for a servant to aid you while you are here with us. In the meantime, I can answer any questions you have, or take you to wherever you need to go."

I'll use bold blue headings on posts to keep track of different groups. It'll be smoother than splitting and rejoining threads all the time, as I expect in this game that the group will often be dividing like this.
Dec 6, 2015 1:51 pm
Looking to the other two he nods towards the plantation, "Guess we should get to it 's well eh?" Lynch mentions moving down looking for a way to get in with the Skaa doing work and to find the contact.
Dec 6, 2015 2:27 pm
Hiram agreed. He stooped to pick up a few handfuls of ash and smeared it over his face, hair, arms, and clothing. "Have to look the part of a lowly skaa, right?"
Dec 6, 2015 7:03 pm
Mateo bows his head politely in acknowledgement to the guard. "Thank you for your words of welcome. I would appreciate a tour of the area. I have never been to a plantation before. Skip the fields. They were just skaa and ash, from what I saw, and I have no desire to interact with either more than is necessary." He turns to Dezire, "You. Find this servant and make sure my things are delivered to my room. Then return immediately in case I need you, but stay out of the way." Mateo turns back to the guard and waves his hand dismissively over his shoulder in the general direction of Dezire.

"Now, about that tour."
Dec 6, 2015 10:23 pm
In the Fields - Lynch and Hiram

After rubbing some ash on yourself you wait the for guard patrol to pass and move into the fields along side a group of skaa working hard to clear the ash away from and unearth some vegetables. They pause, briefly, as you join them in clearing away the ash, but quickly get back to work. Once the guards are out of earshot one of them, a young man who still has the spark of youthful determination in his eye, leans in between both of you and says, "Haven't seen you around before."

Inside the House - Mateo, Dezire

The guard smiles and leans his spear up against the wall of the house beside the door frame, "I'd be happy to show you around. It is indeed, not but skaa and ash in the fields. We can start with your chambers, so I can show your servant where to put your things." He turns and nods to the other guard at the door, who steps aside and lets you enter.

Inside the house is immaculate. Except for what you track in, the interior is entirely ash-free. An impressive feat for this particular plantation, given the thickness of the ash and the occasional windstorm that passes through. The guard leads you down a sparsely decorated hallway where a few paintings, made by an amateur hand, line the walls, and into a respectably sized bedchamber. The room has a decently sized bed, a writing table, chair, plenty of ink and paper and several shelves of books, "This is your room. We were not expecting you to have assistance, but we can find housing for your servant with the household skaa."

Before you can leave the room a young skaa man wearing a button up shirt that is missing the bottom two buttons, and a pair of trousers with a small tear in the bottom cuff of the right leg, enters the hallway. He stops suddenly, seeing you, and drops down and presses his forehead to the floor, "Apologies for being late. I am here to help with the household records."

Note: If there's a specific outcome you desire from a social interaction - then we can make a roll and call it a significant action. If you don't specify a desired outcome or result, then I'll just RP along (or call for a roll, if the situation requires it - but in general, it may not without a specific goal).

So, for example, Mateo may have been trying to get Dezire the opportunity to be alone in the house. If that was a desired outcome, then I would have asked for a roll (probably Charm or Wits, difficulty 1 -- success would've resulted in a flustered guard, who hurried to please the Inquisitor and lapsed on keeping an eye on the skaa servant). As it was, no specific goal was specified, so I took it to be just a continuation of RPing.

If you do have a specific goal/result in mind, use green text at the bottom of the post to let me know.
Dec 6, 2015 11:05 pm
Mateo looks down at the skaa with poorly disguised disgust. "Return in the morning and don't be late. Oh, and at least try to be presentable." He turns to the guard, "It is too late to begin the review tonight, but we can still continue the tour. I will leave my assistant to do whatever it is skaa do when they're not being useful."

Trying to dismiss the servant and get the guard to show me the whole house, while leaving Dezire free to do what she wants.
Dec 7, 2015 2:37 am
Dezire shifts uncomfortably under the weight of both her burdens and the eyes of the Mateo and the guard.

"If it please...m'lord..s, I will arrange Master Santiago's rooms to his...um...orders, then be shown to my sleeping area. Upon leaving my things I shall return to...wait upon Master Santiago's final dismissal for the evening?" Dezire puts an extra lilt in her voice to make it sound as though she is thoroughly cowed and subservient. Her head is slightly down and she looks through her eyelashes at the guard and Mateo.
Dec 7, 2015 8:46 am
The skaa servant bows lower, "Sorry sir. Sorry." then scurries away like a mouse that just had its tail clipped. The guard thinks for a moment, but before he answers Dezire makes her pleading case. He seems to be thinking about something rather carefully before he responds...

Our first roll! This will be a Charm 1 roll. So you will roll dice equal to your Charm. But wait, there's more! Your dice pool is adjusted by Traits, Props and Circumstances.

Normally, when you declare a significant action, you should (to save time) also indicate which traits of your own you think are going to contribute to your success as well as any props you are using that you think will help. Then, I'll handle negative traits, negative props (but I do encourage you to do that as well) and circumstances (only the narrator handles circumstances). To save time, I've gone through your traits and made the following decisions:

+1 Obligator, +1 Eye tattoos (these together are granting you authority)
-1 Sincere (you are being deceptive, which cuts against your Personality)
+1 Dezire's Con-Artist (she's skilled at acting, and her pleading is likely to help your 'case')
-1 Circumstance (you're trying to convince the guard to go against his orders, when orders violations are harshly punished in this household)

The net result is Charm +1 vs 1
Dec 7, 2015 9:02 am
Charm 6+1 = 7d6
( 4, 2, 4, 5, 6, 6, 5 ) = 4 with two Nudges.
Dec 7, 2015 9:23 am
"Alright. Follow me." He turns to Dezire and stares down at her, "Don't leave this room." Then he straightens up, proud to have such an important responsibility, and leads Mateo from the room and down the hall. The pass another guard, whom he nods to, but says nothing - distracted as he is by the demands and importance of his current task.

Excellent! Just be sure to use the roller built into the post. It's both more convenient, and nicely separates post content from rolls.

When you succeed, the difference between your result and the target number is the Outcome. So you succeeded with an Outcome of 3. The greater the outcome, the better the, well, outcome! If you had failed, the difference between your result and the target is the number of complications you incur.

Now, nudges. Nudges are used to affect the story, and sometimes to gain mechanical benefits (small things like "regain 1 resilience as you catch a second wind in battle" and "the time to perform a difficult task is reduced by 1 beat"). Typically you'll use them to either grant yourself a bonus die on the next round, make an opponent suffer a 1 die penalty on their next check, or modify the story. After you make a roll, I encourage you to make a proposal for your nudges! To keep things moving I'll handle it this time.

Both Nudges (because the story effect is moderate, so it takes both) - The guard becomes flustered by the circumstance, and neglects to notify another guard on their tour that the skaa has been left alone.

I'll describe the tour a bit later, once those in the field have had a chance to act, and Dezire has had a chance to use her solitary circumstances.
Dec 7, 2015 1:56 pm
"I imagine you wouldn't young blood..." Lynch stated continuing to work checking around the area with his peripherals for the guards and where others were working, "Looking for a mate o' mine or some a 'is kin. Goes by da name Aengus Fearguch. You know 'em? Tall Lanky sort, ruddy faced, angry or scowling about something usually..." he added not stating anything much outright besides humoring the boy. He shot a side glance look to Hiram to see if he was scanning for anyone he was going to try and make contact.

(OoC: Not sure how the system works in this case so let me know if I needed to do something different and I'll edit. My intent is to name drop someone I know on the plantation not to say outright what I'm here for though, since I don't know the kid I don't know what side of the coin he's on really so if he can help me great if he's thinking otherwise I'm hoping the name dropping and my size makes him have reservations about doing something like diming us out this close to me. Should I roll something to get information out of the young man? I'd like to add my Trait Connected.)
Last edited December 7, 2015 1:56 pm
Dec 7, 2015 2:49 pm
The boy raises an eyebrow, "Aengus, eh? What do you need with him and his?"

The system basically says: if the action is challenging and/or if it there could be an interesting difference between success and failure, then there should be a roll. In physical scenarios, this is easy to assess. In social scenarios it (to me) depends on what you're trying to do, which isn't always obvious from the RP. That's why I said when RPing, if you have a specific goal in mind, state in in green and we'll make a roll. Because if you have a goal, then there is an interesting difference between success and failure! One thing that may take some getting used to is that in this system is that the GM doesn't decide the backstory of every NPC ahead of time, but in reaction to the results of rolls. Things like 'what side of the coin this kid is on' are shaped by the result of rolls (a possible consequence of this check may be that he's actually a snitch).

Thus, there's a roll involved here. A Charm 1 roll.

You get +1 for Connected, and given you description I'm also giving you +1 for Intense and +1 for Brawny
There will also be a -1 Circumstance penalty (he's suspicious and looking for opportunities to improve his circumstance)

Thus, your net roll is Charm +2 at Difficulty 1
Dec 7, 2015 2:53 pm
Roger that, I was curious how things went since Aegus is a person now that wasn't in the story before, he's based off some of us knowing people or families at the plantation but that seems kosher and within the limits of my PC to state and create which was a concern, basically I was curious if we are allowed or can we make up stuff on the fly if it makes sense for the story with some sense of boundaries. I guess I'm going with the pair of 5s?
Last edited December 7, 2015 2:56 pm

Rolls

Charm Roll 6 (Charm 4 +3 -1) - (6d6)

(315524) = 20

Dec 7, 2015 2:57 pm
Lynch's intense gaze and sheer size quickly shock the determination out of the boy and he breaks their matched gaze, turning his eyes to the ash at his feet, "Yeah. I know him. He's been assigned to work the stables. It's around the westside of the house. Careful though, the guards are thicker around the house than they are around the fields. Skaa working the stables have a red rope belt they wear. A would-be rebel tried to steal a horse last month, and after whipping everyone that knew him they made it harder to hang around the stables without belonging there."

That's a result of 5 with no nudges. Success, with an outcome of 4! Very good.

And yes, players are also able to create story content just as you have done. The only restrictions is players shouldn't create story content that dictates outcomes (or, at least, you shouldn't expect your story content to dictate outcomes. If you describe Aengus as an old friend, that's fine, but that doesn't mean he'll be friendly -- outcomes are determined by the dice, and by the narrator)
Dec 7, 2015 3:29 pm
"Thanks Mate, How's the old sod been? Still angry I take it? Also for the warning as well I actually appreciate it..." Lynch stated a bit gentler sizing the younger man up and digesting the younger man's words with a clipping of his arm with a meaty fist gently before busying himself with the work at hand before eyeing Hiram to see if he caught the conversation. The two would have need of getting their hands on red rope belts to blend into the stables or sneak around with the risk of getting caught, this would also mean random innocents on the plantation would bear the brunt of their folly as well if they messed which is something Erstwhem didn't want. They'd need to know where to get their hands on said belts probably and the talk of a would be rebel sparked his ear as well.

"Any chance you could point us to some people not assigned tot he stables today that have these red rope belts on them? Also what's the word on what happened to this would-be rebel after the attempt? He still alive? And did you know any of the people that got wiped because of him?" he asked in a more casual voice still low though in tone. The young man didn't know Lynch but he did have information that could be helpful although not what they were here for. It also gave Lynch a chance to get a read on the kid especially about the rebel if he talked.

He'd have to figure out a way to scratch the Young Man's back maybe to get more information. "I figure you probably want something in return for talking though so let's hear what it you had in mind and I'll see what I can do. I'm somewhat resourceful some of the time. Name's Lynch by the way, you? " Lynch added the realist and jaded outlook on life bleeding through finally getting more into the brass tacks of the conversation, few things were free in life. He'd pay what he could for what he could get though if it was doable.

(OoC: Trying to see if I can get more information out of him since he was somewhat friendly, I figure he would want something in return though by this point since it's more than just general stuff he'd be telling me and he's given some decent intel so far I think so I'm trying to establish a deal/rapport with him for more intel. And a possible side quest with the 'rebel' unless that was a red herring.)
Dec 7, 2015 5:02 pm
Hiram had joined those hauling the sacks of ash from the end of the rows to the wagons, where they dumped them before returning with the empty sacks for another load. It was a mindless job, and Hiram appreciated the purity of the hard, physical labor. Well, as pure as the labor could be when it was done under the threat of a whipping. He nodded at Lynch as he passed, giving a slow wink indicating he had overheard the information about the red belts. As he upended the sack into the wagon, he feigned coughing on the stirred up ash and rubbed his eyes, waiting for another laborer to draw close. He gave a hand lifting the heavy sack over the edge, and as they headed back to the fields, he asked in a quiet voice, "So how poorly do they treat the skaa here? If something were to suddenly go missing, how bad would the fallout be?
Dec 7, 2015 5:18 pm
The skaa smiles weakly, "Thanks. You new? Don't think I've seen you around." She looks around nervously, checking to see if any guards are watching, "It's a whipping for talking and not working. They like to punish relatives for crimes, not culprits. Depends who did it I guess, and how important it was."

@Lynch, that's another check - Charm 1, but this time no bonuses or penalties. Your change in approach doesn't use, or go against, any of your traits. Fortunately, it also removes the complications as the boy feels less threatened.
Dec 7, 2015 5:30 pm
(OoC: Fair enough. Since I'm still learning I go for the pair of 4s I think no?)
Last edited December 7, 2015 5:31 pm

Rolls

Charm Roll 4 (Charm 4) - (4d6)

(4543) = 16

Dec 7, 2015 6:29 pm
The boy lowers his voice to barely a whisper, "Dell and Lorna, they normally work the stables but they've been unable to work since Dell had his ankle broken and Lorna her wrist. They were whipped for the theft. Guard captain got a little eager with them. They'll be in their hut." He provides sufficient details about the arrangement of the skaa homes that you're certain you could find it, "The thief though, he's good and dead. Strung him up, and just before he died suffocating they beheaded him."

You don't need to 'pick' dice - your result is always the value of the highest pair. So in this case, it is indeed a result of 4.
Dec 7, 2015 6:48 pm
Nodding Lynch's hand rubs over the scruff on his face, mostly using his large hand to hide his jaw as it set and he ground his teeth. It wasn't right. He didn't like it but it was part of being at the bottom with the dregs floated in the gutter of society. His glanced flashed to the guards in the area his nostrils flaring his mouth in a partial snarl behind his hand.

With a sharp intake of breath he moved his hands away his face now slightly covered in ash and tried to calm himself, blind rage never did much in the long run. "Thanks for letting me know... now what would you want of me?" Lynch stated staring at the younger man the implication in his voice meant he was willing to do something dark and violent if need be as long as it was within reason.
Dec 7, 2015 9:41 pm
The boy shrugs his shoulders, then looks up, the spark of determination back in his eyes, "I want to leave. When you go, take me with you."

Inside the House - Mateo
The guard leads Mateo down the hallway and into the main chamber of the house. It has a vaulted ceiling and two staircases, one along each wall, curving up to a central balcony overlooking the main entrance of the house. Two guards stand on the inside of the entrance doors, and they nod in deference to you as you enter. The guard gestures to the stairs and says, "That leads up to the families quarters. You'll spend much of your time in the Lady's study where the ledgers are kept, so I'll spare you the redundancy and show you the rest of the house." He turns and leads you across the space into the opposite wing that you just came from. This part of the house has several guest chambers and a room for entertaining guests.

Mateo may make a Wits 2 check as a 'careful observation; as I'm sure during the tour he is keen to notice things that aren't being pointed out.

Also Dezire has 3~4 beats worth of signifiant actions to take while alone in the room.
Dec 7, 2015 9:55 pm
Mateo follows the guard slowly, taking his time to pay attention to what the guard makes a point of showing, and more importantly, what the guard fails to mention. He takes note of the general floorplan and where guards are positioned. I must admit, I am pleasantly surprised at how well maintained this place is. I had expected something more rustic. You should be proud of your work here.

Wits 2 for careful observation

Rolls

Careful observation - (5d6)

(33342) = 15

Dec 7, 2015 10:01 pm
After weighing over where to stash the boy along the way to keep him out of what they were doing in case something happened he nodded, "Done, what do you go by? And where are you going to be?" Lynch asked scanning for Hiram. Once he got the information from the boy he'd saddle up in sight of HIram and work so Hiram knew were he was, once he saw Hiram noticing him in his site he'd motion to his waistline with one hand and trace from his hip to his front to pull up his trousers and back to his hip before looking at the position of the sun. They'd be stopping soon, he'd go back to work until Hiram was done, they'd need to get the belts, and a talk with Aengus on the goings on here. In the meantime he'd busy himself with the work and watching around him, helping those that seemed close to fumbling due to fatigue and exhaustion...

(OoC: Did I just recruit a possible sidekick?)
Dec 8, 2015 6:56 am
Dezire of course has no intention of staying put. She makes a perfunctory attempt at unpacking Mateo's pack by placing out a change of clothes, a ledger and some ink and quills. Putting her own pack down she retrieves her lock picks and misting vial. Sh waits long enough for everyone to get out of ear shot and sneaks out. Her goal is to map the house and identify any likely locations for keeping the journal the crew seeks. Additionally, Dezire looks for ways out of the house so she can meet the rest of the crew later.

::I imagine a Physique check is called for, but I don't want to roll to may dice. I figure my Drive to be the best thief, my profession, specialty and prop might all help, but I'll roll once Candi approves.::
Dec 8, 2015 8:56 am
In the Fields - Lynch and Hiram

The boy smiles at Lynch, then quickly subdues the expression, "I'm Farrel. I work this field most days. In the evening I'm in the skaa village with the others."

Might have!

Inside the House - Mateo
The guard stands up a bit taller, "We do our best, what with the ash and the difficulty of transporting things from the city. It's the rigid discipline, I think. Gets more, better quality work out of the skaa." He points to a closed door, indicating that it's a storage room. Guards are positioned at the entrances to the house, and several regularly walk around to keep an eye on the servants who are scurrying about. On the walk Mateo noted that the guard had not pointed out a door in the corner of the audience chamber. When pressed with a polite enquiry he declared that it 'leads to the basement', as if that settled the matter.

Inside the House - Dezire

Dezire, deciding that the coast is clear, steps out of the room into the hallway and begins to carefully explore the interior of the house. Moving as quietly and carefully as she can manage...

Physique 2, +1 for Drive, +1 for Profession, +1 Prop; -1 Circumstance (frequent guard patrols, and skaa servants are nervous about being punished for other people's actions) so Physique +2 vs Difficulty 2
Dec 8, 2015 3:18 pm
I'll wait for Hiram to finish up what he was doing.
Dec 8, 2015 9:08 pm
Candi says:
The skaa smiles weakly, "Thanks. You new? Don't think I've seen you around." She looks around nervously, checking to see if any guards are watching, "It's a whipping for talking and not working. They like to punish relatives for crimes, not culprits. Depends who did it I guess, and how important it was."
Hiram nodded. He was well aware of the risk they were creating for the rest of the skaa as they sought to steal the notebook. He continued to work alongside her, and when they had some distance from guards, he quietly said, "I and a few others are new. I don't expect us to be around long, but when we leave, I don't want any skaa to be punished. I know they're all bad, but are there any especially cruel guards? As someone may need to be held accountable for our actions, I'd rather it be one helping them than one of you."
Dec 8, 2015 9:25 pm
::rolling for stealthing::

Rolls

Sneaking & Lurking - (6d6)

(536152) = 22

Dec 8, 2015 11:42 pm
Inside the House - Dezire

Dezire skulks into the hallway and follows a guard patrol carefully through the house. In the wake of the guard she doesn't have to worry about the careful eyes of skaa servants, or the attention of guards other than the one she is following. This allows her to easily scan the house and identify possible escape routes - windows mostly, the doors seem to all be well guarded. She manages to creep upstairs and get a look into the rooms there. There is a large bedchamber, a restroom and a study. The study is mostly tidy, with books on the shelves, a ledge on the desk, and papers neatly ordered about. She tries the drawer and finds the desk is locked. Her intuition tells her that she has, at most, a few minutes before Mateo returns to the room...

Result of 5, Outcome of 3 with 1 Nudge. I've spent your nudge to make your prowl of the house take 1 less beat, affording you the opportunity to maybe do a bit more... thieving ; ). For the sake of expediency, if you get a nudge and succeed on the roll, edit your post if you have specific ideas of how you might like to spend it. Just think of the little ways that the outcome could be particularly advantageous, or things you would like to happen. If you don't, I'll just spend the nudge for you (normally it's a negotiation, but in this format that could make things take much longer).

You have 1 Beat before Mateo is back in the room. Picking the lock will be a Wits 2, +1 Prop, +1 Drive, +1 Profession, +1 Specialty should you choose to do so.. might make you short on time if you don't roll favourably though.

In the Field - Hiram and Lynch

The skaa worker furrows her brown and looks at her feet...

Hiram, Charm 1. I'll grant +1 for your Drive, but -1 Circumstance (the skaa is visibly frightened, and the conditions in the plantation are such that fear of punishment is a strong motivator to turn people in, especially 'newcomers' and 'troublemakers')
Dec 9, 2015 12:10 am
Dezire thinks for a moment about what would be the best course of action. Returning makes sense, but she's here now. She starts when she looks down and finds that her hands have started working on the lock without her concious thought. Well, since I'm here...I guess. It might be harder to get back here later.

Surprising herself again, the lock pops open after only a second. She got lucky and tripped the lock in the exact right order. She quietly begins rifling through the desk looking for the ledger the crew is looking for.

::I'm using my success and the nudge to get as much time as I can, either finding what I need right away or to be positive it isn't kept here.::
Last edited December 9, 2015 12:16 am

Rolls

Lock picking the desk - (8d6)

(55211316) = 24

Dec 9, 2015 5:07 am
Candi says:
Hiram, Charm 1. I'll grant +1 for your Drive, but -1 Circumstance (the skaa is visibly frightened, and the conditions in the plantation are such that fear of punishment is a strong motivator to turn people in, especially 'newcomers' and 'troublemakers')
I have a 4 in my Charm Attribute....does that mean I roll 4d6? or just 1d6 due to your note about Charm 1? (I'm a bit confused on how the rolls are calculated)
Dec 9, 2015 5:45 am
Charm 1 means that the difficulty of the Charm roll is 1. You would roll your Charm, plus and minus the Circumstance modifiers (net 0 in this case), and hope to get double-1s or better.
Dec 9, 2015 5:49 am
That makes sense. Thanks!

Rolls

Charm 4 - (4d6)

(2263) = 13

Dec 9, 2015 6:39 am
Inside the House - Dezire and Mateo

Rifling through the drawer Dezire finds a notebook, but not the one she was looking for. It has notes describing what must be experiments with metallic alloys. Having skaa mistings of some kind ingest the alloys and attempt to burn it (a necessary course, as digesting metal typically results in poisoning). She doesn't have time to read carefully though. Pocketing the book, Dezire closes the drawer and gets out of the study. She sneaks down the stairs, back into the east wing and slips into the bedroom.

Moments later, the guard and Mateo enter, "If there is anything else you need, just ask."

I can't make an action take less time than 1 beat, but I can have you arrive in the 'nick of time'

In the field - Hiram and Lynch

The skaa worker looks back up to Hiram and leans forward, "If you're here to cause trouble, it'll be us that bears the burden. Those most likely to have done what you did will be tortured and blamed." She starts to walk away, carrying on with her work, then turns back, "It's the guards, mostly the captain, and the lady of the house, who see to the whippings." offering an answer to Hiram's question. SHe continues, "While I should give you over to them to spare us the burden of your actions, I won't. They'd likely beat me too anyway."

That roll is a result of 2, which is greater than or equal to 1 so you succeed. You also got a 6, which is a nudge. Nudges can be spent to give yourself small benefits. As I noted before, if you get a nudge and have an idea of how you'd like it spent edit your post and let me know in green text. Otherwise, to speed things up, I'll spend nudges for you when I post the resolution of your action.

In this case, your nudge keeps the skaa quiet.
Dec 9, 2015 7:07 am
Mateo bows his head in thanks to the guard and dismisses him for the night. He closes the door and his demeanor immediately changes, becoming more relaxed and open. "Did you find the book?" he asks hopefully. "If not, there's a basement that the guard was rather closed-lipped about."
Dec 9, 2015 12:34 pm
Tossing a few more sacks Lynch eyes Hiram wiping his face with a handkerchief to get some of the ashen grim free, "That didn't seem to go to well... We done here?" he asked behind his veil. See other workers moving bags he'd help toss a few were they need to go if he saw any elderly or someone struggling while he waited for a response.
Dec 9, 2015 3:09 pm
Hiram grunted, pulling his own handkerchief out as well to wipe the sweat and ash sludge from his forehead. "Yeah, I think so. Sounds like you gained us a good direction to go next. The woman I talked to is downright terrified of the nobles, so she wasn't much help. The guards keep everyone on a tight leash by threatening the families if someone steps out of line, so let's try not to implicate any of the skaa if we can help it."
Dec 9, 2015 3:24 pm
"No, I didn't find the information we are looking for. But I think I might know what is happening in the basement. Letorneau is experimenting with skaa and some new Allomanctic powers."
Dec 9, 2015 3:40 pm
"Agreed... captain of the guard though... Accidents happen. We need to get those belts. Chat wit me Mate is in order..." Lynch stated nodding.

(OoC: Unsure what we need to do to squirrel away to the houses of the injured stablehands)
Dec 9, 2015 3:54 pm
Skaa Village - Lynch and Hiram

Lynch and Hiram make their way towards the skaa village, which is adjacent to the plantation but opposite the house. As the sun gets lower the workday nears its end, and the skaa start to make their way back to the village. This makes it easier for Lynch and Hiram to do the same, as they no longer have to pause and pretend to be diligently working to avoid the ire of the guards.

It takes a little asking around, but you quickly locate the house of the injured stablehands and give a gentle rapping on the door. After a moment the door opens and you are greeted by a young man carefully balanced on one leg. The other he holds out straight, a straight bit of wood is fixed to with by a pair of cloth belts, "Can I help you?"

Say that you want to squirrel away to the houses with the injured stablehands... :)
Dec 9, 2015 5:44 pm
"I go by Lynch and I'm trying to get a hold of friend of mine named Aengus, I heard about what happened to you and the young lady so I'm not trying to get you involved in anything that would cause you more grief but do you know if he's still at work we'd like to borrow your belts if you don't mind if that's an issue let me know what I can offer to actually make it worth your time, how's the leg." Lynch states in a quiet tone after looking to the leg a bit of concern on how long it would take to fully heal or if the man was permanently crippled and would be lame for the rest of life before looking up into the man's eyes. He'll need to gauge the man to see what he was willing to do or if he was angry about his situation or not.

(OoC: Let me know what I need to roll if he doesn't tell me about his leg.)
Dec 9, 2015 6:33 pm
Hiram took the cap from his head and bowed slightly. "May we come in? My name is Hiram, and Lynch and I are new to the plantation. I know you don't have reason to trust us, but we are in need of a favor...and we'll return the favor when you call on it." While the man answered, he took the time to examine the small house, trying to gauge what kind of people they were and to what level of poverty the nobles kept them at.
Dec 9, 2015 9:50 pm
The man furrows his brown, leans out the door a little bit, glances around, then hobbles backwards, "Please come in." The interior of the hut is undecorated. A small cook fire is in the middle, a little table is up against the wall, and a small cot, just barely big enough for two people, is against the other wall. A woman is making a soup over the fire, she looks up from her work, "Shall I prepare more dishes?"

The man looks to you both and shrugs, "If you would like some food?"
Dec 10, 2015 2:20 am
Mateo raises an eyebrow. "Allomantic experiments? On skaa?" He frowns in thought for a few moments before nodding his head. "Yes. We can use this. She's not reporting skaa mistings to the Obligators. We should investigate further tonight."
Last edited December 10, 2015 10:47 am
Dec 10, 2015 11:16 am
Now that you've made that inference, and I've posted about Standings and Secrets, I can tell you that you've just uncovered a Major Secret - Zara Letorneau is not reporting skaa mistings to the Obligators.. I'll create a sticky a thread that tracks secrets you guys have uncovered and indicates who knows them, and their status.
Dec 10, 2015 2:32 pm
"Thanks for the offer but personally I don't want to bother or set you back more than I need to." Lynch stated shaking his head to decline the offer respectfully. He figured the quicker he could get down to business the better, although they had known the 'would-be' rebel, he'd make a point to ask about it after finding Aengus or his whereabouts.
Dec 10, 2015 2:37 pm
The man nods and carefully sits down in one of the chairs, "What can I do ye for then?"
Dec 10, 2015 2:46 pm
"Looking for a man goes by Aengus, he's a friend o' mine. Heard he worked the stables and you did as well. Lynch stated slightly fishing in his words. He'd see where things went from there, for all Lynch knew this bloke might want to box Aengus' face in.
Dec 10, 2015 2:52 pm
The man nods, "Yeah, I know Aengus. Poor guy's had to make up fer my absence I think. He's normally in fer shoeing the horses, but I bet they got 'im cleaning the stalls now too. He lives a few doors down. I could save ye some time and send for 'im."
Dec 10, 2015 3:37 pm
Lynch looked to Hiram and shrugged since it sounded good, "If you don't mind it would be much appreciated." he stated thankful.
Dec 10, 2015 4:31 pm
The man whistles and a few moments later a young boy enters the house. He is told to retrieve Lynch's friend. A few moments later Aengus strides into the house. He's middle aged, his face and hands thoroughly worn by time and stress. Seeing Lynch he nods curtly, "Was wonderin' when you'd be turnin' up. Who's thisun'?" He nods at Hiram.
Dec 10, 2015 5:22 pm
"Sometimes trouble finds ya, sometimes ya go looking for de trouble and put et out. 'Nother mate o' mine, he's good people." reaching out to clasp the man's hand in his own nodding towards Hiram, "So what made you think I'd be showing up? Bit o' trouble?" Lynch inquired.

I figure Hiram would want to introduce himself, also unsure why Aengus would know I was coming... cus I didn't know I was coming here...
Dec 10, 2015 6:40 pm
Hiram offered his own hand, "I'm Hiram. Lynch and I have been working together for some time. On our trip in, he spoke highly of you, and I'm pleased to finally put a face to the name."
Dec 10, 2015 9:01 pm
Skaa stablehands' house

Stepping into the somewhat-crowded room behind Aengus, Daclish grins at them briefly, his teeth flashing in his ash-darkened face. "He knew because I told him that you were coming." Then he settles down and asks Lara: "Would you share some with me? I've built up quite an appetite."
Dec 11, 2015 12:19 am
The woman smiles, "Daclish, glad you made it." She prepares him a full bowl of the stew, and hands it over before serving Hiram, Lynch then finally her partner and herself.

Aengus grunts, "You think you're the only one with plans. Listen, we're sick of being slaves. We don't expect you to free us today, or tomorrow, or ever. But lots of us, we're on your side. You want to stick ti to the nobles. Then, well, stick it to them in the gut so the bleed out." He folds his arms over his chest, "When I say us, I mean, a dozen of us. They've got the skaa right scared, but there's some will. We can help you, and we've been mindful. What're you here for?"
Dec 11, 2015 3:50 am
Skaa stablehands' house
Daclish nods his thanks and slurps some soup from the bowl while Aengus grunts and grumbles (Spoon? What's a 'spoon?').

Then he replies. "It's like I said. There's an item we need from the big house; we steal it, then we escape. It's why we needed the belts." He looks surprised for a moment, then shakes his head. "Oh, I almost forgot the belts. Here they are." Daclish plops down the five red belts he'd acquired during the afternoon's excursions with Aengus.

(Note: spent 1 resource to get these)

"Those should help us when it's almost time to leave; we can at least access the stables without extra suspicion now."

(edit to add location)
Last edited December 11, 2015 4:33 pm
Dec 11, 2015 11:03 am
Mateo looks to Dezire, "Do you think we should take a look around the house at night? I'm afraid I'm not very good at sneaking. I'd probably be of better use looking over anything you might find."
Dec 11, 2015 11:11 am
The soup is nothing to be excited about. A plain vegetable broth made from the small, withered and scarred products of the harvest and precious few bits of very tough meat.

Aengus nods, "Two of them are Dell and Lorna's. It'd be convenient, if when your'e done with 'em, if you could leave 'em with someone or somewhere I can' find. They may notice if a few of these go missing."

One of you can spend Influence and make a challenge roll (dice pool equal to your influence before you reduce it by 1) at difficulty 2 to 'call in a favour' from Aengus and get a report from him about things he's noticed lately around the plantation. I'll grant a +1 die from Circumstance for his helpful disposition and familiarity with several of you, and you can, of course, use traits to secure more bonuses if appropriate.
Dec 11, 2015 1:39 pm
Nodding Lynch closed his eyes figuring in his head the lay of the land from their vantage point before they came to the plantation plus what he had seen while working thinking of places to stash things or people he's seen. Pulling in Hiram and Daclish Lynch muttered a bit among the three to see if what he was thinking makes sense. Hiram had seen most of the same areas probably Lynch had and Daclish had experience in this kind of environment.

"Shouldn't be a problem Aengus." Lynch stated pretty sure he had a few options in mind considering, "To put all the bullocks out on the table we're looking for a book the noble bird in charge is keeping on suspicious skaa some of them being in Mantiz. Personally that just sounds like a book of good people she'd like to get kill so we'd like to get our hands on that and save a few necks... maybe make a few friends. It's probably in the house someplace but we don't know where. Considering what I've heard about these two and a 'rebel' what's really been going on and what can we do to help mate?" Lynch added with a nod, there were times when you sat down and chatted people up, most of these people had been working since before dawn and cutting to the brass tacks was the for the best he figured, Aengus had probably been up from before dawn...

(OoC: Curious if I have the best chance at the roll with Influence of 5, also would I gain a bonus from other players like Hiram being Perceptive Trait & Daclish being a plantation worker as a profession trait to make good on the promise.

We spent some time up on the vantage point and I've been around the area a bit so I'm looking at
Influence 5 +1 for Always having a Plan Trait +1 Circumstance bonus from the Storyteller
Possibly Laborer +1 (Stash it someplace easy for workers to get at unnoticed from guards)
I don't think Connected counts is this situation since we're getting a +1 for something that sounds similar already
Let me know if I can get +2 from their traits and if Laborer and/or Connected make sense and I'll edit this for the roll.)

It's a difference of 7 up to 11 die being rolled so I figured I'd wait and find out on that since this is kind of important I think

Looking at Influence of 5+2.

Edit: Modded post since I wasn't following but now I'm tracking.
Edit2: I'll take the 5s for an Outcome of 3 with a nudge. (Aengus did like a bloke who didn't dance around subjects when you needed to say something)
Last edited December 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Rolls

Influence check 2 (5+1+1) - (7d6)

(3245365) = 28

Dec 11, 2015 1:53 pm
Yes, you can get bonuses/penalties based on traits of other characters. The roll I'm proposing doesn't have to do with stashing the belts - I apologize for making a story post that didn't align with the OOC suggestion. I anticipated you guys may want to get information out of Aengus about what's been happening at the plantation lately.

So, I would give you the following modifiers:
+1 Connected, +1 Circumstance -- so you're rolling 7 vs. Difficulty 2 to get information from Aengus about the happenings at the plantation lately.

Perceptive isn't helpful in this case, and Daclish may have described being a plantation worker in his background but his actually stated profession is "Tinker" in his traits. Also, again, as this isn't a roll for stashing the belts and getting them quietly back into skaa hands, not relevant either way.
Dec 12, 2015 6:44 am
"There is plenty more snooping to do, or should I go tell the others what we found and let them know we have a wrinkle. There's more going on here than we know."
Dec 12, 2015 12:12 pm
Aengus nods, appreciating that Lynch cut to the chase, "Yeah skaa've been gettin' right nervous lately. The 'rebel', he was just gettin' out. Wasn't tryin' to incite a riot or anythin' they said he was up to. Noble's from other houses have been turnin' up, and stalking the village at night. Next day, a few folks got taken in for 'suspicion of rebellion'. Never saw em' again. Guards have been getting rougher too. Beatin' and lashin' folks nearly to death. They took Maark, and he somehow escaped in the night. Guards caught 'im in the stables trying to steal a ride. I'd been workin' late the night before. Had to shoe half the horses before mornin', and I saw the guards draggin' somebody into the house. Fella' looked too clean to be a skaa."

Damned good roll! Nudge used as you suggested - Aengus is also now quite friendly towards you
Dec 12, 2015 12:16 pm
I would be in favour of gathering more information first. I'm not entirely certain what the others are doing or what they could do with this new information. Knowledge is power, and more knowledge provides a stronger base from which to act.
Dec 12, 2015 6:19 pm
"Fair enough. We'll give the house some time to quiet down and got to sleep. Then what? Should I hit the study again for a more thorough search, or check out what is going on in the basement?"
Dec 12, 2015 7:55 pm
Mateo runs his hand over his head in thought. Perhaps check out the basement. I will give the study a look over. If I'm caught there, I can simply say that I could not sleep and decided to get an early start.
Dec 12, 2015 9:10 pm
"Makes sense. I'll claim I got lost looking for my servant quarters, since no one has shown up to escort me yet."

::Guess we are waiting for things to die down here, then Ill be sneaking to the basement. I'm thinking Physique+Drive+Profession with any penalties from the narrator.
Dec 12, 2015 9:23 pm
Hiram gratefully ate the weak soup, again amazed at the generosity of those with so little. He had seen it time and again in his interaction with other skaa. Most of the time, they were happy to share what little they had. He paused between bites and asked Aengus, So both skaa and nobles are being taken? Where were they dragged to? I can't imagine they were taken through the front door!
Last edited December 12, 2015 9:23 pm
Dec 13, 2015 11:17 am
Skaa Village - Hiram, Lynch and Daclish
"The front door. It was late in the night, the mists were thick. They didn' think ne one was watchin' 'em. Had they seen me, I wouldn' be here talkin' to ye. Next day, Maark tried to escape."

Inside the House - Mateo and Dezire
Dezire and Mateo separately leave the room. Mateo first, then later Dezire. Mateo wanders up to the study, passing several guards along the way - they nod and defer to him. It would be inappropriate to challenge the obligators presence after all. Once inside the study he finds himself alone...

Dezire creeps down the hall, avoids the notice of the guards and safely crosses the house to the audience room. When she tries the basement door she finds it locked...

Mateo - I assume you are going to search the room? Wits 2, +1 Speciality because your expertise with finances will help you quickly tell the difference between many documents in here speeding up your search.

Dezire picking the lock will be a Wits 2, +1 Prop, +1 Drive, +1 Profession, +1 Specialty, -1 Circumstance (guards actively patrolling the room and area, so more pressure)
Dec 13, 2015 11:28 am
Mateo paces the room, getting a feel for where everything is, before checking the desk for secret compartments and starting to look through every document he can lay his hands on.

Rolls

Wits roll searching for the document or anything suspicious. - (6d6)

(211665) = 21

Dec 13, 2015 11:34 am
Mateo searches the room for what ends up being an hour. He finds many ledgers, which he will need the following day, and piles them up neatly on the desk. Searching the desk he finds no hidden compartments, and he is so focussed on finding something of use he doesn't even notice that one of the drawers has been rifled through (by Dezire earlier in the evening).

Result of 1, against Difficulty 2 for a Outcome of -1 with 2 Nudges. The bad news, is this is the first failure we've seen so now I get to explain failures... the good news is you got 2 Nudges so the failure won't incur consequences.

When you fail, that is when you Outcome is less than 0, you don't achieve your goal. As with successes, how badly you failed will be dictated by the result (lower number, worse failure). Additionally, for each point of negative outcome you incur 1 Complication. These are clear setbacks that impact the crew member who failed.. or the whole crew if you fail badly enough.

When you fail, nudges are used to minimize complications. Each nudge reduces the number of complications by 1. You can't use nudges in any other way when you failed the roll.

So, you've failed (just barely), and earn 1 Complication... which you spend 1 of your Nudges to reduce to zero.
Dec 13, 2015 5:42 pm
Hiram shook his head in unbelief, "I can't believe they're turning against their own now, and the gall to just stride through the front door with the victims! What about the Obligators? Surely they've been looking the disappearances of the nobles? And has Maark said anything about what he saw in there that would cause him to risk his life to escape?
Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm
Aengus frowns, "I dun' know what the obligators do, and I dun' much care if they're kidnappin' and killin' nobles. Maark's dead. Got caught. That's why we need red belts to be in the stables, and why our kindly hosts are injured. Guards makin' a point."
Dec 14, 2015 2:13 pm
Lynch finally smoke up the wheels turning in his head, "Most nobles have as much care for skaa as they do for the shite they have someone scrap off derr boot, that level of head-up-your-own-arseness simply breathes I'm untouchable and my shite don't stink... wouldn't take much for them sort to think some of the nobles were less than themselves in a gauge o value too.

Maark's dead because after catching and beating him, they hung 'em then beheaded him.... they were doing something for him to be desperate enough to try and escape, we don't know what happened to him.... we do know they were cautious enough though after stopping him and beating him to hang and behead him... if it was some vanilla dickery of being a Noble they probably wouldn't have gone to such extremes... Makes me wonder... what they did anyway... did they have a reason to be scared of what Maark would do?

If you know the names or what the Skaa taken inside look like let me know... Sounds like me might need to go into that house and find out what happened to em, get em out if they're alive."
looking towards Hiram and Dalisch, "Also there's a young bloke named Farrel or something round 'ere, says he wants off the plantation... he on the level or do I need to dig a shallow grave between here and the city?" he stated, his final statements part question on the young man and part vetting. Lynch didn't mind helping skaa that wanted help, he wasn't some fatherly sort that would baby him though and he definitely wasn't going to be the sort toting around a snitch for the nobles...

Lynch jaw was set wondering how they were going to get into the mansion tapping the space between his knuckles with the pad of one of his fingers as he thought.
Dec 14, 2015 11:57 pm
"We might be able to help someone escape, but I've been thinking on what else we can do. I don't know that there's much we can do. I keep thinking of "accidents" we could arrange for the nobles, or any particularly malicious guards. But I know that the Latourneau family doesn't look for evidence before applying punishment. Any attempts at sabotage would either result in reprisals on all the Skaa here on the plantation from the Latourneau family, or, if it got large enough - like if we burned down the house - there'd be reprisals from the Obligators investigating a major revolt.

Daclish chews his lip for a few moments. "But this waiting for the others is difficult."
Last edited December 14, 2015 11:57 pm
Dec 15, 2015 12:48 am
"Too bad we can't just make all the Skaa up and look gone...leave piles o' ash in 'heir beds to get 'hem Nobles thinking like a lot o nutta'z what happened... then they'll only have themselves to slap around..." Lynch muttered looking at the other two... considering how many people were on the plantation that would be a disturbing difficult feat to pull off but it would be pretty amazing to pull off.

"Do we need to go looking for the others? I don't think they'd know where to sneak to out here...it'd be easier to figure out where they were and go to them if you think 'bout et." Lynch added with the remark about the others in the crew.
Dec 15, 2015 1:50 am
Daclish turns his blue eyes back onto Aengus. "How about it, Aengus? Is there an official way for field hands to visit the house? Another set of sashes? Or can we pass a message to the people inside? We have a few codes we've worked out beforehand..."
Dec 15, 2015 9:22 am
Aengus lets you talk it out a bit before replying, "Ferrel is a good lad. Probably better livin' your life than ours, as he's likely to get 'imself into trouble 'round here. As fur gettin' into the house, only the servants are allowed in, and they all live in the house. No skaa go in or out, except by will of the nobles."
Dec 15, 2015 9:01 pm
Nodding Lynch changed the line of questioning, "Well in that case do you know where a guest would be staying inside the house the Noble of the house wouldn't want to tick off?"
Dec 16, 2015 1:53 am
Working quickly Dezire starts working on the lock. Hearing the quiet click as the lock opens on the basement door, Dezire can't help but give herself some quick silent praise for being so good at her job. Dezire grabs a candle in case she needs some light and slips through the door before anyone catches her.

::Kind of wish I had some other goals so I could make use of how nice those dice treated me. So that is a success of 3? Claiming my 5s against the difficulty of 2::
Last edited December 16, 2015 2:02 am

Rolls

Lock picking the basement door - (7d6)

(3453525) = 27

Dec 16, 2015 2:18 pm
Aengus rubs his chin, "I might know someone."

Lynch, can you roll an influence challenge at difficulty 1; +1 for Aengus' trait 'Well Known', +1 for your own Connected and +1 Circumstance; then spend an Influence.

The stairs descend into the dark and into a small chamber. Three doors lead from here, one on each wall. In the main room there is a table with two chairs near it. A few cards are scattered on the table, as are the remains of an evening meal.

Yes, that's an Outcome of 3. Outcome is used by the GM to determine the results of tasks that can have 'degrees' of success. In this case, Outcome 1 I had planned to get you through the door as a guard entered, Outcome 2+ was flawless. It's nudges, which are 6's, that let you add details or find clever ways to support yourself.
Dec 16, 2015 2:32 pm
Lynch nods, "If you say he's on the Leval lets meet 'em and get done to it." Lynch adds, night was only so long and they still didn't know what the others had found out.

(OoC: Spend means I reduce the score on my sheet right after the roll right? Is it permanent or later on do we get a chance to spend an XP like resource or rest up between adventures to recoup lost stats?)

Edit: XP Guess I'm taking the three 3s with a nudge.
Last edited December 16, 2015 2:33 pm

Rolls

Influence Check 1 (Influence of 5+3 total bonue die) - (8d6)

(33465223) = 28

Dec 16, 2015 7:06 pm
"Let's go then. Thanks for dinner." he nods to the other two skaa then leads the three of you out into the village. The mists are particularly thick tonight. They dance about, swirling and flowing like some amorphous living blanket smothering the world in the depths of night. Most skaa are afraid of the mists, superstitious. They avoid them, keep their doors and windows sealed tightly to keep them out at night. Your current line of work, however, has required you to overcome that superstition - if ever you had it - as the cover of darkness is a boon not to be sacrificed because the mists settled in.

You are lead to another house on the other side of the village, and politely asked to wait outside. You do as asked and remain quietly concealed by the swirling mists. A few moments later Aengus comes back out, "Says they keep guests in the east wing. Also, took care to mention that there's a servant entrance around the back. It's not guarded because it's locked. It will get you into the house, then you'd need to find your way through the main chamber and into the east wing. It's usually locked, but he gave me a key he got his hands on when his wife was taken a few weeks back." He hands Lynch a worn iron key, "Said he hasn't the courage ta' use it, best put it in the hands of those who will."

Yes, you reduce the score by 1 after you roll. You recover 1 in each standing every day, and fully recover spent standings during a long breather (ie. a long break in the story during which characters recover, and do unexciting normal life things). Your nudge got you the key.
Dec 16, 2015 8:19 pm
Daclish nods his thanks, and clasps Aengus' arm in gratitude. He is eager to get going, get in the house, find the others, find the notebook, get out of the house, get Ferrel, get into the stables, and get away. It's foolproof!
Dec 17, 2015 5:05 pm
Nodding to Hiram Lynch takes the key from Aengus and bangs his downward fist into the man's shoulder, "If things go south have a good laugh at the crow on my corpse." Lynch smirks before getting ready to make it to where they needed to for access into the house. One the other two were ready he'd make his way through the mist.

(OoC: Let us know if we'll need to be rolling stuff in the mists. Change the background music to something spooky!)
Dec 18, 2015 2:52 am
Dezire listens intently for any noise down in the basement. If she hears none, she starts with the door on the left, moving quietly. She tries the door handle gently in case someone is on the other side.
Dec 18, 2015 1:52 pm
Outside the House - Lynch, Declan, Hiram
You follow the pathway through the skaa village until its edge. You can barely make out the glowing torches that line the house's balcony through the thick swirling mists. Guided by the faint glow, you approach the house then divert around the back as Aengus had instructed. There you find an unguarded door at the rear of the building.

Giving you a chance here to chat a bit before you go into the house, assuming you want to chat

In the Basement - Dezire
Dezire hears a faint whimpering coming from behind the door as she eases it open. Inside is a small chamber, and a young woman is strung up on the wall, her arms in manacles. Her dirt covered face is dampened by tears. When Dezire enters, the woman's eyes go wide, and she starts crying, "Please. Please no more."
Dec 18, 2015 2:19 pm
Handing the key off Lynch pulls a two handed wooden mallet and slowly rocks his neck from side to side and rotates his shoulders.

"Eyes and ears..." Lynch whispered.
Dec 18, 2015 9:07 pm
Hiram moved to the door and pressed his ear against it to listen for any sounds on the other side. No sense popping through the door only to find a wandering noble waiting for them.
Dec 18, 2015 10:59 pm
Daclish shakes his head as fantasies of setting booby-traps for the nobles spring up once again. *NO! Stick to the plan. Finding the others comes first. Hopefully they will know where the notebook is already...*

Taking the key from Lynch, he prepares to open the door. "Do you hear anything?" he whispers to Hiram.
Dec 20, 2015 5:52 pm
OOC: Do I need to roll to hear anything?
Dec 21, 2015 2:15 pm
Hiram leans up to the door and listens carefully. Hearing nothing, he puts the key in the lock and turns it. It quietly clicks open. The door swings inward and leads you into a narrow hallway with a door every three or so feet. These are probably the servants quarters. The hallway continues for forty or so feet. Standing at the end of the hallway, silhouetted by the flickering candle light in the room beyond, their back to you, is a single guard.

No, I've been sick and busy and haven't had a chance to advance any of my games that I am running
Dec 21, 2015 2:48 pm
Lynch motions to the guard with a glance at the other two before looking down at the large hammer in his hands... Lynch wasn't big on sneaking. "Oy, should we see which way he's going first?" Lynch whispered to the other two. If the guard got closer it'd make collapsing the man in one swoop a lot easier...
Dec 22, 2015 4:27 pm
Hiram quietly ducked through the doorway and stole down the hall toward the guard's back. In a quick motion, he clamped one hand over the guard's mouth and locked the other around his throat. As the guard struggled and began to lose consciousness, Hiram ducked back down the hallway toward the others, dragging the guard with him.

OOC: Not quite sure what I need to roll for this. Might even need to do two rolls...one for stealth and one for subduing him. I'm thinking I may want to flare pewter to make it easier, but at the same time, because we don't have a copper-cloud, I don't want to give ourselves away....
Dec 23, 2015 12:32 am
"Who are you?" Dezire asks. She scrutinizes the woman before approaching too close. She needs to play this right. She recognizes that this woman is being tested for Misting Powers, but how she handles this will depend on whether this woman is Skaa or Noble.
Dec 23, 2015 2:04 am
In the Basement - Dezire

The woman continues sobbing, "Heidi. Please. No more. I'm not a misting. Please." It is clear to Dezire by the way the woman talks that she is skaa.
Dec 23, 2015 2:25 am
"No need to worry dear. I'm not here to hurt you. My friends and I are here to find something. If we can help you too, we will. We know what has been going on down here and we will put an end to it. First however, we need to find a ledger, a book, with details about Skaa dissident activities. We need to know what the nobles here know. Have you heard anyone talk about such things?" While she speaks, Dezire does what she can to comfort the woman. She brings her water if there is any in the room. Then wipes the sweat and filth from her face. She inspects the shackles, careful of any injuries the prisoner may have sustained. "I'm afraid we can't go until we find what we are looking for."
Dec 23, 2015 3:21 pm
Dezire finds a jug of water and offers some to the woman. She drinks deeply. The shackles are heavy and iron. It would take a great deal of strength, or the key, to get her free.

"But you'll get me out? Oh please. I haven't heard them say anything about a book. All I know is that they feed me metals, and then a man sits in a chair and watches me. They take notes, then they beat me until I retch. There were others." She glances around, and Dezire notices two more sets of shackles, empty, "They're gone now."
Dec 23, 2015 4:02 pm
In the House - Hiram, Declan, Lynch

Hiram surges forward in a sudden burst of speed and wraps his arms around the guards neck and begins to apply a choke...

To recap -- you need to roll 10 dice and have 1 free nudge...

EDIT, you're probably getting exactly what you want as the guards result is 0 with 2 nudges.

Rolls

Guards Resist Roll - (5d6)

(36264) = 21

Dec 23, 2015 4:10 pm
OOC: Roll to attack/disable guard

Rolls

Attack/Disable the Guard - (10d6)

(4212535241) = 29

Dec 23, 2015 4:22 pm
The guard barely resists Hiram's pewter fuelled choke, and quickly goes limp as his consciousness drifts away. It was a risky maneuver, as most pewterarms struggle to control their application of strength, but Hiram manages to disable and not kill the man. He drags the guard back towards the rest of the group and lays the guard down on the floor. The pewter's influence fades and Hiram feels weak and vulnerable again.
Dec 23, 2015 4:37 pm
"Easy Mate..." Lynch starts realizing what Hiram just did once he was back dragging the body. "We know where they 'ave Santiago 'old up. What next? We can make it that way to meet up. Hiram you want to take a load off and sit down as a guard for a bit?" Lynch stated adding a either brilliant idea or a very bad joke. A meaty hand reached out for the unconscious guard to search him before tossing him on a shoulder and looking to the others.
Dec 23, 2015 6:19 pm
The guard is wearing a chainmail shirt and has a polished short sword on his hip. He has nothing else of note.

The hallway you are in leads into an open chamber. To the right a swinging door goes to what is probably the kitchen, on the left is another hallway lined with doors and straight ahead an open archway leads towards a yet larger open chamber - probably the main entrance hall of the estate.
Dec 24, 2015 4:02 am
"Nah - I'm good. Let me just tie and gag him so he won't surprise us later." Using the guard's bootlaces, belt, and socks, Hiram secured the unconscious man and took his sword and sheath.

Looking at the exits from the chamber, Hiram commented quietly, "I don't think we'll find anything of use in the kitchen, they probably leave alone. Wouldn't want to rub shoulders with the skaa or anything. Should we take a look down this other hallway or make for the entryway?"
Dec 24, 2015 6:39 pm
"I promise I will do what I can. I can't risk letting you out yet though. We have to find that other book. If I don't come back for you it means I'm dead, and I died trying to get back here." Dezire feels a pang of guilt because she doesn't really mean that, she will try to come back for her, but she probably won't let herself get killed in the attempt. This woman doesn''t mean that much to her.

She begins searching the rest of the basement.
Dec 24, 2015 7:15 pm
"Please..." the woman pleas as Dezire leaves the room. The door opposite the stairs leads into a room the same size as the cell. A few book shelves have been placed here, there is a desk, ink pots, piles of blank parchment and notes. A quick skim of the notes confirms that they are experimental reports. Mostly they contain information on alloy creation, the stability of the alloys and tests on traces of metal.

The third room has a workbench that is covered with lab equipment. There is an apparatus filled with water connected by hoses and clamps to a burner than sieve system. It looks like it would be used to extract trace metals from the water.
Dec 29, 2015 5:13 am
Dezire hurries up the stairs. She pauses a moment in hesitation, feeling sorry for the woman below, but she has a mission right now. Carefully she opens the door and prepares to sneak back to Mateo's room to tell him the news.

:::Same stealth check or has the commotion with the guards changed things?:::
Dec 29, 2015 5:29 pm
Dezire makes it back to the obligator's chambers without event. The guard movements are like clockwork, and she's already snuck around them once this evening.

Around this time, Mateo sits back in the chair and sighs heavily. While his search has turned up some documents that will make his work the following day more efficient, he failed to turn up the journal they were searching for. His eyelids feel heavy and the weight of a day of travel, and a tiring search of the office, begin to wear on him. Knowing he'll have plenty of time to continue his search the next day, he leaves the office and returns to his chamber. There he finds Dezire, waiting to share with him news of what she found in the basement.

I think it's fair to use the same check - nothing has changed yet, the commotion hasn't drawn attention ... yet. Mateo, you're back in the game!
Dec 29, 2015 5:47 pm
Mateo enters the room and notices Dezire. He holds up a hand to forestall any words and sits down on the edge of his bed and rubs his eyes wearily. After a moment, he looks up. "I hope you've had better luck than I have."
Dec 29, 2015 5:50 pm
"I guess whatever gets us closer to the Santiago..." Lynch states quietly while looking around.

(OoC: I figure we were told the general layout for where the inspector would be roomed.)
Dec 30, 2015 3:03 am
"No, the basement did not have the information we are looking for. However there is a woman down there. They are experimenting on her with different alloys and metals trying to activate misting powers. They are torturing her, she's barley alive. Just as that other notebook indicated. If the Lord Ruler knew of this he would likely wipe out this whole line and burn the manor to the ground. But we can't use that information until we have recovered the information about the Skaa resistance. And I don't know where else to look."
Dec 30, 2015 4:39 am
Mateo nods gently. "I'll give the office another look in the morning. I'm too tired to see straight at the moment."
Dec 30, 2015 7:55 am
In the Servant's Quarters

"Well, Aengus said we need to move through the main chamber and then into the East Wing. This is probably still the servant's part of the house. There was a guard; I suspect he was guarding something from the servants, preventing the lowly Skaa from getting the nobles' floors dirty. So let's go that way..." He looks at Erstwhem. "Ah...you have your hammer. I'd feel a lot better with that guard's blade in my hand."
Dec 30, 2015 4:07 pm
Hiram shrugged, "Fine by me. Let's head toward the entryway then. He watched Daclish eye Erstwhem's hammer and offered the shortsword he had picked up, "Here you go. I'd just as soon use my fists anyway. Judging by the amount of metal that guard was wearing, it's unlikely they have a Lurcher or Coinshot around."
Dec 30, 2015 4:23 pm
Hiram, Lurch and Declan quietly move into the larger chamber, and into the east wing. By sheer luck, the guard patrolling the halls is on the other side of the house as they move through the area. As Mateo and Dezire are discussing what they know, the other three members of their team open the door and quietly shuffle into the room.
Dec 31, 2015 4:19 pm
Mateo looks up blearily. "Ahh. Good timing. What news?"
Jan 1, 2016 4:18 pm
Hiram moved to the bed and sat down, "Not a lot. Seems the nobles are especially skittish of the skaa right now. They've restricted who can access the stables and killed a boy for being where he wasn't supposed to. The rest of the skaa are weathering it the best they can, but I don't like the atmosphere around here. Something strange is going on. Oh, and I subdued a guard on our way in tonight. He's bound and gagged back where we entered. We should probably do something about him before he's discovered." He looked back and forth between Mateo and Dezire, "What have you discovered?"
Jan 1, 2016 5:37 pm
"Letorneau has been experimenting with new metals on skaa mistings. She is currently holding one prisoner in the basement." Mateo hides a yawn behind a hand before continuing. "We have not yet found our objective, but I will be making another look in the morning. How do you intend to deal with the guard?
Last edited January 1, 2016 5:37 pm
Jan 1, 2016 7:04 pm
"We 'eard of Nobles sneakin' about the skaa village watchin' em. Certain ones got taken to this 'ouse n no one seen or 'eard from em since so that explains where they're going. Boy they killed they say's 'e was a rebel doing the revolution bit, skaa say 'e just wanted to escape after being half beaten to death 'nd was desperate to try to steal a horse to boot in dat condition... Also someone was recently dragged in when no on was lookin' wasn't a skaa though too clean... So maybe a noble... might be your guest in the basement. And I 'ave a bloke wants to pop off from 'ere when we leave without being beaten, hung, and cut off at 'is 'ead. If 'e hasn't woken up yet maybe we can put 'em back in da chair when we leave. If not, there's ways to hide a body..." Lynch added with a shrug towards the end.
Jan 3, 2016 3:55 pm
Mateo shakes his head softly. "Do with him what you will. Just keep it quiet. I don't want any of the fuss making my job more difficult."
Jan 3, 2016 4:43 pm
"I don't know if we should be collecting strays though. It is going to make it hard to leave with extra people in tow. Don't make any promises. If we could I'd just burn this whole plantation to the ground and let everyone go, but that isn't a plan we can work, nor is it our objective. As to the woman in the basement, she looked like a skaa to me. and there wasn't another prisoner. So I don't know where this other guest could be."
Jan 5, 2016 5:43 pm
Hiram shrugged, "Think we can steal the notebook tonight? Then douse the guard in alcohol on our way out, leaving him to be found? The story'd be he drank too much and fell asleep. Then tomorrow, Mateo and Dezire can cover our tracks and do whatever Obligatory service they're here to do."
Jan 5, 2016 10:08 pm
"We don't know where the notebook is. That's the issue. We found plenty of dirt to get this whole place raised to the ground by the Lord Ruler, but not what WE need. If we bolt tonight we fail in our goal. If there are people that need to leave though...maybe some of us should get them out, the woman in the basement for example.
Jan 6, 2016 3:21 pm
Lynch shrugs, "I guess if we offer t' get 'er out we can ask if she's seen or 'eard anything, freedom is a good motivational tool in loosening a tongue... 'ave we checked the Noble in charge's office and bedroom? If it's really a choice tasty bit like we think it stands to reason they'd 'ide it so they don't end up strung up outside and killed...If I was a proper bastard I'd hide it so even me Gran couldn't figure where I stash it." he adds looking to the others. He's up for taking the skaa woman and the others out on an escape if possible and doable now.
Jan 6, 2016 11:58 pm
"I think we need to get what we came for. How many places remain to check out? Have you narrowed it down to places like their personal rooms? If so, we might create a distraction tonight, to rouse them out of their rooms. But I don't think we can help skaa or this prisoner escape without raising a lot more alarms and ruining our chances of getting the notebook..."
Jan 7, 2016 3:07 am
"I've searched both the study where one would expect it to be kept, and the secret lab in the basement. I already offered freedom in exchange for information to their prisoner. I genuinely believe she doesn't know anything." She paces, thinking for a moment. "A distraction sounds to dangerous...even if we had access to their private rooms, we wouldn't know where to look. I think more time is what we need."
Jan 7, 2016 5:55 am
Agreed. We need to maintain our cover and stall for time. I can keep the investigation running longer if we need more, but it'll be hard to search the place if the guards are more alert than they are already.
Jan 7, 2016 2:57 pm
"Well there's the Nobles room where almost no one but them would go into on a regular basis and the always complicated hidden room or storage slot." Lynch added looking at Daclish to confirm the notion. "If you have a name I guess we can find out among the skaa if she's from here or not which would be valuable to know in a way. Maybe lean up against others that want her free for intel about the house in exchange for taking her out of here. Besides I guess it's hard to pay attention to other things if you're being tortured, passing out from being tortured, or coming to from being tortured. For now I guess we'll wait." he continued frowning, they had found out a bit but they weren't done... so in a way he felt like they hadn't gotten anything done yet.
Jan 7, 2016 3:21 pm
Daclish explains about the red sashes they've acquired for their getaway, then asks "Is there any help you want from us inside the house now?"
Jan 7, 2016 7:47 pm
Mateo shakes his head wearily. "Just deal with the guard as quietly as possible. At this point, the less I know the better. I'd rather not have to lie about it."
Jan 9, 2016 8:31 pm
"If Letorneu is out...I suppose the ledger might be hidden in her chamber. I could try to get up there. You lot could get the guard downstairs and free the prisoner. If alarm is raised, or I find what we need we can make our escape. It is risky though."
Jan 11, 2016 4:25 pm
Steeling himself for the work ahead, Daclish revives a bit at the thought of further action (spending 1 spirit to keep going). While he has no sympathy for guards who support the nobility, Daclish's priority is definitely on freeing a tortured Skaa. "Point out the best way to the basement. I'll...we'll get her out."
Jan 11, 2016 4:47 pm
Dezire explains the best path to the basement and the guard patrols as best she can. "It might be a struggle to keep her quiet. She was beaten pretty badly, but I'm sure she won't intentionally cause you trouble."
Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm
"Another day it is. Although I have to be honest, I'm not looking forward to another day of hauling ash!" He moved to the door, "Do you think we'd escape notice if we left the guard in the hallway soaked in spirits? Or should make him disappear? If the latter, I'll take care of the body by weighing it down and just dumping it in the canal."
Jan 13, 2016 5:25 pm
"I think he needs to go away. He might be able to identify you, or they may believe he was attacked. Either would result in our job getting harder. A deserter raises the fewest questions I think. As long you cover your tracks well."
Jan 15, 2016 3:48 pm
Guest Quarters - Dezire and Mateo
With a semblance of a plan together, the group splits again. Dez and Mateo remain in the room, discussing whether or not they should investigate the Lady's room tonight, and how they will approach it. There's a good chance the night is the best opportunity, as during the day not only are guards about and more alert, but there are also servants tending to this and that; then again, they've already taken a lot of risks doing the investigation that they have, and luck may not be on their side all night...

Skaa Entryway - Lynch and Hiram
Lynch and Hiram, skulk back out into the hallway and traces their path back to the servant entrance they came through. They find the guard still lying unconscious on the floor and are faced with their last task at the house for the night: dealing with the guard they knocked out.

Basement - Daclish
Daclish, determined to make a difference as soon as possible, follows Dezire's instructions and makes his way into the basement without detection. There he finds what Dez had before - a central room with a plain wooden table and three doors leading from it, one in each wall. The left door opens into a small chamber where a skaa woman, bruised and beaten, is chained to the wall. The right door leads to a chamber with lab equipment on it. The central door leads to an office of sorts containing a desk strewn with papers and shelves of books.
Jan 15, 2016 4:54 pm
Mateo sat on the edge of the bed, looking at Dezire. It seems that events are moving far faster than I had anticipated. Sneaking and burgling are your expertise. How would you tackle the Lady's room?
Jan 15, 2016 10:09 pm
Hiram knelt next to the limp body and slung him onto a shoulder. He stood and left through the servant's entrance, checking to ensure no one was outside watching. As carefully as he could, he hurried across the grounds, keeping to the shadows. When he arrived at the edge of the fields, he had to pause and catch his breath, but as soon as it was under control, he quickly traced the path to the nearby canal.

He placed the guard on the ground and started looking around for large rocks. He figured the mail shirt would be enough to sink the body, but he didn't want to take any chances. He felt a twinge of guilt about killing someone in cold blood like this, but he had to remind himself that had it come to a scuffle in the house, he would not have hesitated. So why would this be any different? Besides, the guard may as well have been noble scum, and one less noble in the world would leave everyone better off.
Jan 15, 2016 10:18 pm
"Let's go for a walk. I'll go in and you serve as lookout. If anyone comes by, speak up and I will hear it and hide. If need be you can say I wondered off and you worry about where I may have gone."
Jan 16, 2016 5:29 pm
Very good. Let us head out while we still have time.
Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm
Hiram (maybe Lynch) - Outside
Hiram throws the body over his shoulder and steps out into the misty night. He burns pewter ((I debated between asking you to make a roll or just making your burn a charge of Pewter to carry the man, and remain quiet while doing it. Decided on pewter burning. Spend 1 charge.)), and as he does so the mists gather around him and swirl about his limbs like a child with many ribbons spinning about a pole during a festival. He carries the guard through the plantation and to the edge of the canal, a dozen yards or so from a small dock where barges probably load and unload goods to and from the plantation. As he prepares to do the guard in, he notices lights flickering at the dock. It's odd for there to be a shipment now, especially on such a misty night. Squinting he sees only three figures, and their boat is hardly a dingy.

((Lynch, it's up to you if you are with Hiram, have gone to the basement with Daclish, or are doing your own thing))

Dez and Metao - Noble's Room
The skaa and obligator make their way down the hall and back to the second floor. The guard patrols notice them, but upon seeing Mateo don't even acknowledge that they have passed. The two arrive uncontested in the noble's room. It is immaculate. Not a speck of dust on any surface. The bed is a large four-poster, and sits in the middle of the room. A wardrobe is on one side and a mirrored desk with a chair on the other.
Jan 17, 2016 3:28 am
(OoC: More likely I'd have gone to carry the body which would have been easier I think for me. Also to make sure the body is gutted nice and proper right before we dump him so he doesn't resurface later due to bloating.)
Last edited January 17, 2016 3:28 am
Jan 17, 2016 3:47 am
Mateo silently gestures to the wardrobe and the rest of the room while he heads straight for the desk. He pauses to examine the desk from a distance before moving in closer, looking for anything that might indicate an attempt to hide or protect something.

Rolls

Wits rolls for searching the desk and immediate area around it - (5d6)

(22114) = 10

Jan 19, 2016 2:01 am
Hiram cast a worried glance upstream toward the dock and whispered to Lynch, "Do you think we should dump him and run? Or see what's going on first? There's a chance those could be slavers and we could sell him..."
Jan 19, 2016 8:23 am
In the basement

"Shh...don't worry. I've come to get you out of here." Daclish will inspect the lock, hinges, and anchors for the manacles binding the skaa woman, to try to find a point of attack on the chains to release her.
Last edited January 19, 2016 8:24 am
Jan 19, 2016 3:52 pm
Basement - Daclish
The woman nods and remains quiet. While the metal itself shows rusting, the guards here have made a point of maintaining the important parts. The lock and hinges are well oiled and maintained. The anchors, which are steel bolts that have been driven into the stone wall, depending on what kind of anchors they are, might be strain under a good strong pull. He figuresthat with the right angle, and a bit of precision, he might be able to loosen an anchor with an ironpull... of course, if he pulls too hard he'd succeed but kill himself embedded the anchor into his chest...

If you go this way, I'll need you to spend a charge of iron and make an ironpulling roll - that's a pool with size equal to your rank in misting - iron!
Jan 19, 2016 6:02 pm
Dezire moves to the desk and begins systematically going through the drawers trying to keep everything in order to cover their tracks.

:::Can I claim Profession: Con Artist & Thief on the grounds of knowing where to look for secret things? I will roll 4d6 for wits and add a stand alone d6 role for Profession. If you rule it doesn't count, so be it and we will just work with what I get on the first roll.:::
Last edited January 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Rolls

Wits for searching - (4d6)

(6161) = 14

Profession (if it counts) - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Jan 19, 2016 7:30 pm
In the Basement

Daclish says "I'll be back in a moment to get those off of the wall..." and tries to ignore the fact that getting the chains off of the wall won't be the end of their problems while he steps into the library to grab a couple of large books to use as a shield. Then he returns to the cell, calculates the best position, braces himself, and reaches out with his misting...

(OoC: as he activates his misting ability, he will be conscious of other metal in the area...such as keys, if any have been hidden around, or torture implements that he might use as levers if this doesn't work. He doesn't expect to find keys, honestly, but hope is irrepressible.

I don't know the difficulty; shall I roll my five dice after spending 1 iron anyhow? Would my Specialty of "Crafting mechanisms expertise" and/or my Profession of Tinker grant an additional die?)

Edit: Spending 1 iron, and rolling dice.
Last edited January 20, 2016 8:18 am

Rolls

Allomance + Tinker trait - (6d6)

(664636) = 31

Jan 19, 2016 8:14 pm
Dezire, make a Wits roll please. You can just edit the post and add it in, but post in the OOC discussion thread once you do so I know to look again.

Daclish, when burning iron the first thing that happens is you will see faint blue lines that go from your chest and out to each metal object within range of your 'metal sense'. The thicker the line, the larger/heavier the metal source. So, yes, as soon as you start burning you'll be able to detect all metal in the area. You won't be able to tell from these blue lines what the object is, only that it's metal and 'how metal' it is, and where it is (because the faint blue lines always travel *directly* to the metal source). I'll grant you +1 for your Tinker profession as you're trying to 'unmake' something. It's not a mechanism, so your crafting expertise isn't going to help.
Jan 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Basement - Daclish
The allomancer gives a solid heave on the anchor, but finds that it is, well, firmly anchored into the wall. His initial inspection was wrong, and the thing isn't budging anywhere. He's as like to tear the stone out of the wall before the anchor comes loose (note: a charge of iron lasts 20 minutes, and as beats are only about a minute long for you right now, you can still make use of your iron for a while)

Bedroom - Dez and Mateo
Between the two of them they find a small notebook hidden in a well concealed compartment underneath the dressing table. Dez works the small lock quickly and within the find a notebook. It's contents are written in some kind of code, but it's clearly an important item to Lady Letorneau for it to be stashed in such a secure, and well hidden place (Dez, I spent both nudges to auto-pick the lock).

Canal - Lurch and Hiram
Glancing towards the activity at the dock, Hiram notices that there are only a few men and a small boat. They seem to be unloading barrels of some kind from the boat and placing them in a small cart. A single horse stands at the ready to haul the cart, presumably back to the plantation house.
Jan 21, 2016 3:27 pm
"One or three slaves makes no difference to them probably... we're better off dumping the body, less loose ends but we'd best make it so it doesn't bloat and rise again once sunk..." Lynch admits quietly watching the scene unfold before pulling a small knife and dropping to position his body over the guard's motioning for Hiram to help hold him down. "They'll make things odd for Dez and Santiago...worse for Daclish though... if we can hurry up made we can get ahead of them and muck the road up a pick to slow that cart." he adds his face hard ready to do a bit of dirty work literally.
Jan 21, 2016 3:42 pm
In the basement

Daclish sighs, then grins. "Well, if it was easy, anybody could do it! Let me see what else I can find..."

He proceeds to walk slowly through the three rooms, using his metal sense to find objects. Is there anything in the desk? Are there pliers, irons, picks, knives, other torture devices that might serve as levers to pry out the bolts or the plate that they hold? I guess he just takes inventory of all the items he can find...
Jan 21, 2016 10:07 pm
"Fair enough, but once we dump this guy, I want to take a closer look at what they're doing. It might prove useful information later." Hiram then knelt on the body, using his weight to further secure him while he put his hand over the gag, hoping the guard wouldn't make a sound while Lynch took his life.
Jan 22, 2016 5:06 am
Mateo whispers to Dezire, "Do you think this is it? I'm not sure that we can afford to leave the plantation unless we are certain. I will head back to the room and try to figure out if this is our prize. Until we are certain, I can delay the investigation."
Jan 22, 2016 9:55 pm
Whispering back to Mateo, "This has to be it. Take it back to your room and try to break the cipher. I will spend a little more time looking for the key to the code, but i'm pretty sure this is it."

Dezire is sure something hidden so well has to either be what they are looking for, or something of equal value to that which they seek. She gives the room a second going over while thinking to herself, "Having found the one secret compartment might lead to another."
OOC:
Hoping if there is anything else to find that roll will find it, even something that is just valuable.
Last edited January 22, 2016 9:56 pm

Rolls

Wits to search more - (4d6)

(2162) = 11

Profession, Drive - (2d6)

(66) = 12

Jan 23, 2016 3:40 pm
Canal - Hirma and Lynch
Lynch quickly slits the man's throat. He suddenly wakes, gurgles a bit, then dies. The two men prepare the body, weighing it down, and quietly roll it into the canal.

Basement - Daclish
Searching the area for metals Daclish discovers, of all things, an iron key in the desk in the one room. On a hunch, he tries it, and sure enough the key fits the manacles and the woman's hands are suddenly free as the bindings snap open. She stands there, rubbing her wrists... "What now?'

Upstairs - Dez and Mateo
Dezire gives the room one more thorough search. She finds a hidden belt of misting vials, probably steel given what they know of Letourneau. Misting vials are always worth a few boxings on the skaa market, at least, she could trade them for more vials she could use herself in the worst of arrangements. She also finds a small box with a good bit of coin in it.
OOC:
You can treat the coin box as 1 Resources that you could spend as you might spend Resources if the circumstance allows. Such as in bribery, or to acquire new gear, etc.. instead of tracking money though, it's probably easier to treat 'acquired' wealth as temporary Resources
Jan 25, 2016 5:14 am
Mateo tucks the book securely inside his robes and heads back to the room. He carefully closes the door behind him and lights a small candle and begins trying to decode the book.

Rolls

Wits roll to decode the book - (5d6)

(55545) = 24

Jan 25, 2016 4:21 pm
Hiram watched the body sink beneath the surface and looked upstream to see if there was any outcry. It all seemed quiet, so he nudged Lynch and nodded in the direction of the dock. He whispered, "I'm going to get closer. It might be better to hold off on tearing up the road until we find out more information. We don't want to tip our hand by alerting them to something unusual going on." He then quietly moved closer, trying to pick out enough words and fragments to piece together the context of what they were discussing.
Jan 25, 2016 4:25 pm
OOC:
Hiram, I'd like a Physique check to sneak up and listen without being noticed. You can add +1 for your Perception, and +1 Circumstance for the mists
Jan 25, 2016 4:33 pm
OOC:
Roll for being sneaky

Rolls

Stealth - (7d6)

(6232253) = 23

Jan 26, 2016 8:09 am
"How long has it been since they last checked up on you?" Daclish asks the woman, not directly answering her question.

Daclish closes the manacles again, and considers how he might rig a trap using the chemicals from the lab, as well as how long it would take.
Last edited January 26, 2016 8:09 am
Feb 2, 2016 6:11 pm
Canalside - Hiram and Lynch

Hiram is able to, using the mist as cover, get quite close to the docks without being detected. He hears the men grumbling about working through the night. One of them says, "Well, 'least you don't have to shove a barge back up the canal before morning. You've just got a leisurely trip up the road." Listening more Hiram learns that they are unloading kegs of water, and that the delivery is to go directly into the cellar, via some path that does not go through the house.

Basement - Daclish
The woman's eyes widen as he closes the manacles again, "Hours. Another, a skaa woman, came and promised to free me. Before that, it had been hours. They bring food and water in the morning, and some days do their experiments later."

Thinking about the lab equipment Daclish it seems to be primarily a filtration and distillation system. There's a few oxidants, and accelerants that one might use to test the composition of mineral or metal shavings, but it would take chemical know-how to determine if, and how, to combine them in any particular manner.
Feb 2, 2016 6:24 pm
Hiram quietly returned to Lynch and reported what he had heard. He whispered, "They seem innocent enough. On the surface, I don't think there's anything underhanded taking place, but it sounds like they know of another way into the cellar, and potentially into the rest of the house. I want to follow them and see where they go. Do you want to come with me or run back to warn the others to avoid the cellar?"
Feb 2, 2016 6:41 pm
"I'll keep you company mate, worse case we just come back to the riv'a" Lynch states with a shrug and a malicious smirk.
Feb 3, 2016 7:18 am
Dez makes her way back to Mateo with her spoils.
Feb 3, 2016 3:16 pm
Guest Room - Dez and Mateo

Returning to Mateo's room, the two get to work translating some of the notebook to confirm if it is indeed what they came to acquire. Mateo flips through the book, taking notes on a scrap of parchment, rubbing his chin and otherwise becoming deeply engaged in the analysis of the text. There's nothing quite like a good, technical, puzzle for a member of the Canton of Finance. He quickly decrypts the characters, it's a shifted alphabet cypher with a secondary shift between every third letter that is then mapped to a custom alphabet. Difficult for most to decode, but for Mateo it was almost obvious from the moment he started.

The notebook is indeed the one they came to collect. Mateo quickly discovers why their coppercloud was interested - the alias under which she had contacted them is listed amongst the skaa being tracked by the Letorneau people. The symbol beside her entry suggests that they believe, but are not certain, that she is a misting. Generally, the notebook tracks skaa and nobles thought to be Seekers, includes theories about the nobles linked to the skaa allomancers, and includes a few skaa thought to be other kinds of mistings. There is a special symbol noting skaa who've been detected giving off allomantic pulses but their particular aptitudes have not been identified. Mateo notes that a few of the nobles tracked in the notebook are also marked with that symbol. Curious.
Feb 3, 2016 5:37 pm
"OK, this is good. We can leave now. The question being, do we leave tonight or play this out? You think you need more than a few hours tomorrow? My instinct says to leave now, but I'm not sure."
Feb 3, 2016 6:39 pm
I should definitely stay and play this out. It is vital that I do nothing to cast suspicion on myself, otherwise my position within the Canton of Finance may be compromised. I shall expedite tomorrow's efforts as quickly as I can.
Feb 3, 2016 7:27 pm
Hiram led Lynch back to where the dockworkers were. When they left toward the plantation with their load of water, the two of them followed, keeping close enough to hear the workers through the mists and gauge where they were at, but not close enough to be noticed.
Feb 4, 2016 2:48 am
Daclish frowns, concentrating to recall the details of the chemical lab setup. Surely someone will know what was happening here, but he can't spare the time to do more than memorize what he sees. Satisfied that he can describe the setup as best he can to someone who might be able to glean information from it, he smashes the set up by throwing the heavy books at them. He replaces the key in the exact place he found it, then takes the woman's hand. "Time to go. Try to follow me lead and be as quiet as you can as soon as we leave here."

He then sneaks back out the way he came with her in tow.
Feb 5, 2016 3:47 pm
"Alright, I'll try to find the others and let them know we found what we were looking for and are staying to maintain your cover."

With that Dez makes her way out to find any other Crew members and tell them the news.
OOC:
Rolling the same sneak roll as before, GM feel free to adjust if need be.
Last edited February 5, 2016 3:47 pm

Rolls

Wits - (4d6)

(5662) = 19

Drive & Profession - (2d6)

(56) = 11

Feb 5, 2016 3:55 pm
Outside - Hiram and Lynch
The men load up a cart and take the barrels towards the house. They veer off the track just before and roll it around to the back. Then, they unchain a storm cellar door that was concealed behind some light brush. Once the door is open they start unloading the barrels and moving them into the cellar.

Inside - Daclish (and Dez)
Daclish leads the woman out of the basement and back into the main area of the house. He starts to make his way back towards the entrance they had come in via when Dezire lurks up behind him and grasps his hand, "This way." she pushes Daclish and the woman he is with, who nearly panics as Dez interrupts them, into a narrow corridor. Dez claps a hand to the woman's mouth and a moment later the shadow of a guard paces through the room they were just in.
OOC:
All of Dez's nudges got spent making it so Daclish didn't have to roll stealth
Feb 5, 2016 4:18 pm
"Well dat's a bit o' information if we want a plant some'fing illegal on this noble in their cella.." Lynch mumbles quietly to himself mostly as he watched rubbing his chin, "Think Dac is out and about with the dame yet?" he adds asking Hiram.
Feb 5, 2016 4:28 pm
Whispering to the Daclish and the woman once it is safe, "Good news, we found what we came for. Mateo wants to stay and keep up the ruse so our cover isn't blown. The rest of you should probably go. We've been lucky so far, but that luck could easily run out soon. Find the others and get out, watch your backs." Then she releases the woman, "Sorry for that. This is my friend. He will help you get out safely. Stay quiet, do what he says. There are others, just follow his lead."
Feb 6, 2016 2:04 am
Hiram slowly nodded, "Yeah, let's keep this entrance in mind if we need another entry or escape point and check in with the others." He looked up through the mists, "Not sure when dawn will be, but it's gotta be getting close."
Feb 18, 2016 9:52 pm
Daclish nods gratefully to Dezire, and then proceeds to leave the way he came.
OOC:
Sorry for the delay, everyone - I was brutal sick this past week. What do you want me to roll for leading her stealthily?
Feb 19, 2016 2:37 am
Escaping the Plantation - Daclish, Hiram and Lynch
Daclish slips out of the house with the woman following close behind. Luckily, Lynch and Hiram see him and wave him over before he accidentally reveals himself to the men unloading barrels into the basement. The three agree that leaving swiftly in the night is the best course. Lynch reminds them of the young boy who had wanted to get off the plantation. Under cover of the mists, the trio returned to the skaa village and found the boy waiting and ready.

You strike out towards the road. You briefly discussed using the red sashes to steal some horses, but decide that your actions are likely to cause enough suffering for the plantation skaa as was.

In the House - Mateo and Dez
The rest of the night passes without event, and you are awoken with the rising sun and parting mists by the same servant boy who had been assigned to assist Mateo. The guards seem a bit more alert and anxious than the day before, but they do their best to hide from the obligator that anything is or went wrong. They provide Mateo with everything he requests.
OOC:
One last check - Mateo can you make a Wits check to do the actual job you came to do, double check the finances
Feb 19, 2016 2:10 pm
OOC:
Lynch would remind Hiram about stashing the sashes where they were suppose to... after 10 pages the roll for the actual job XD
Feb 19, 2016 10:07 pm
Mateo does his best to look presentable after the long night and goes through the finances, page after page, making notes in a small book. All the cloak-and-dagger of the previous night had put him on edge and it was good to dive back into the world of numbers and simple arithmetic.

Rolls

Roll to do my actual job: 5d6 + d6 for Financial and Trade Expert - (6d6)

(416566) = 28

Feb 20, 2016 8:58 pm
It takes Mateo a day longer than he expects, but after two days he's sorted and confirmed all the details of the Letorneau finances. Spotless. Perhaps oddly spotless, every noble household misses a clip or two here or there, but after double checking he is sure the books are clean. Signing off on them, he and Dez pack up and make their way back to the city.

In Mantiz...

You do not have permission to post in this thread.