Chapter 2.1 - Into the Strange

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 19, 2016 7:37 pm
You gather your things and head back to the transport trolley, strapping yourselves in, and the car proceeds back to the center of the station, moves 'sideways' down a ring, aligns with middle (Arclight) ring's spin, and then drops back out to the ring. The sensation of gravity picks up, and you find yourselves in the Arclight ring.

Again, helpful system terminals continue to display directions for you as you near them, somehow alerted to your presence. You follow the directions and arrive at a pressure door marked E4. The system terminal by the door indicates that the ambient pressure is equalized and you can enter as you will. The door opens at your touch, and you see a strange contraption.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTY75o_cHNTE-UYuNXv5-VL45ipHe_Ob2WVg4EL2b8RmKPDsJ9

Awuim is off to the side. He shares a long glance with you at the vehicle, and then waves you over to where he is standing. You see a number of thin suits, some with armored plating, some without, within a storage rack.
You can each take an environment suit. If you are trained with armor, you can pick a suit that will function with the appropriate armor rating for you.
Jan 20, 2016 11:31 am
Looking from Awium to the suits Floats on Thunder blinks several times and suits up in an environment suit without plating.
Jan 20, 2016 11:12 pm
"Could use a little something with a little more flash" Diego says as he looks over the environment suits, picking out one of the unarmored ones. "This will have to do..."
Jan 21, 2016 12:12 am
Eli dons the environmental suit. "Comfortable enough. It will serve its purpose for what we've gotta do, anyhow."
Jan 23, 2016 3:12 pm
After climbing into your suits, Awium leads you into the craft through a small hatchway. You climb a small ladder and then find yourselves in the middle of a cramped seating area. Three chairs are to your left (the front), and a table to your right (the rear). Awium takes the chair that is placed centrally in front of an array of dials and switches and a window through which you can see the hangar. There are two seats immediately behind his, also with a number of dials and toggles and gauges. Lastly, there are two long benches on either side of the table that fill up the back of the cabin. Another ladder across from you leads to the lower level.

Strapping into your seats, Awium turns a small wheel on his console and you hear the pressure door hatchway seal behind you. The craft hums to life, and lifts off the hangar floor. Through the window in front, you can see the hangar doors open, and the craft hums its way into space. That's when things get weird.

Once in space, you can see stars everywhere in front of you, brighter and crisper then even the clearest desert night. But it only lasts a few seconds before the window turns foggy, and then a wave of swirling purple miasma crashes onto the window, breaking into smaller copies of the wave that break into smaller identical waves and so on until it has faded into nothing.

Awium says, his voice echoing in your helmets through by some sort of communication technology, "We have entered The Strange. Tombstone Station doesn't exist within the depths of outer space, as much as it seems to when you're inside. Once we leave the confines of the station, some few hundred meters from the outer walls, we pass into The Strange. From here," he continues, the dark purple fractal mist of the dark energy sliding sideways as he spins his craft in place, revealing a small filmy bubble maybe a dozen yards across, "we can see the recursion as it appears from outside.". The vague shape of the space station with its rings and storage tanks can be seen within.

Behind the station, the twin stars, one cannibalizing the other, can be seen within the purple waves of dark energy. Awium turns in his chair and looks at each of you. "Usually things like planets and stars don't show up in The Strange. Sometimes they appear and disappear for a few moments, but this pair is an exception. The researchers on Tombstone Station are trying to determine why, but that isn't my concern. I'm an explorer of The Strange, I sail the fractal tides, navigating by sign posts only the trained can see. This ship is called Isildur. I'll take you to what I found nearby, which may be the source of the planetovores agents."

The craft spins in place again, and then smoothly accelerates into the depths.

After about a half hour, a small rocky asteroid appears within the pulsating mists. The craft slows and hovers near the rock, before Awium causes the ship to move sideways, orbiting the rock while keeping the front window facing the asteroid. Soon, a small hut appears, made of long pipes of dark, pitted rock fitted poorly together. A doorway can be clearly seen.

The Isildur lowers down and lands on the asteroid. "If you would care to explore the interior of the asteroid, you'll probably catch them by surprise. I'll hang back but if you need backup, our communications should work unless you get near a nuclear reactor."
Jan 23, 2016 5:42 pm
Words like "nuclear reactor" and "asteroid" caught my attention, but again I'm surprised that I actually know what he's is talking about. Still testing out my suit, I ready myself for our expidition.
Last edited January 23, 2016 7:10 pm
Jan 23, 2016 5:55 pm
Floats on Thunder nods to the man grabbing him by the forearm with his hand. "We shall see what lies ahead in the unknown then." he states with a nod.
Jan 23, 2016 6:12 pm
"I have no interest in getting near a nuclear reactor, but I am keen on taking the aliens by surprise."
Last edited January 23, 2016 6:12 pm
Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm
The Isildur floats in space without its own gravity, but after it landed, you can feel a slight tug downwards. You hop / float to the pressure seal and exit the craft - the air stays inside somehow even lacking an airlock, an innovation that Tombstone Station lacks even though the Isildur seems crafted in the distant past. You're suddenly aware of the lack of life support, and perhaps you even wonder how long you can survive in just your suits.

On the surface, you are held weakly by gravity to the rock, but each step threatens to fling you into orbit. From the surface, you can see into the unusual hut. There seems to be a circular doorway made of several curved plates that open iris fashion. Beside the door is a handle, much like a throw switch on an old fashioned powerplant. Well, old fashioned is relative - back in the Rio Grande, you might call it 'new-fangled'.
Jan 23, 2016 7:15 pm
"Uh, don't anybody go jumping too high. Might not land... So, how long can we be out here in these things?"
Jan 23, 2016 7:33 pm
Diego carefully maneuvers himself over to the handle, more to have something to hold onto than for any other reason. Tightening his grip he looks to the others, "Wanna see what's inside?"
Jan 23, 2016 7:51 pm
"I suspect you are right, jumping to the stars man not let one land as freely... we have a small amount of time but we would not want to 'sleep out' here most likely. If everyone is ready." Floats on Thunder states in a hushed tone pulling the light blaster from his outer belt and nodding.
Jan 26, 2016 12:37 am
OOC:
You all seem poised to enter the door. If one of you can confirm, then all of you can roll initiative, mwa ha ha.
Jan 26, 2016 1:12 am
Locked and loaded, Eli opens the door.

Rolls

Initiative (trained) - (1d20+3)

(12) + 3 = 15

Jan 26, 2016 1:24 am
With a small blaster out the shaman nods.

Rolls

Initiative (Trained so one step down) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jan 26, 2016 1:56 am
"Let's do this!"

Rolls

Initiative [Trained] - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jan 26, 2016 1:59 am
Blaster ready, I enter the door.
Last edited January 26, 2016 2:00 am

Rolls

Initiative (untrained) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jan 26, 2016 2:21 am
Eli moves the giant switch downwards, and after a brief resistance, it slams down and the door opens, dropping into the floor faster than you can see.

Inside, you see a maze of scaffolding, and it seems that the asteroid is entirely hollow except for said scaffolding. At the center of the asteroid, you can see a metallic orb, purple energy pulsating through numerous cracks. The asteroid is a couple of hundred yards in diameter.

Along the scaffolding, you see a number of aliens, these ones more 'alien' than the ones in the weapons lab. They have bulbous, veiny, translucent skin. Their limbs are thick enough to beggar a better description than 'limb'. Their faces are centered around a gaping, tooth filled circular maw, surrounded by three, milky eyes. The beings seem to be moving things around the asteroid, and several are tending the orb by poking material through the cracks. Lastly, a device that looks suspiciously like a stolen system terminal, from what you can see of it, is mounted on the far side of the orb about halfway down, and two aliens are currently 'using' it.

You take all of that in in a few seconds, and the aliens drop whatever they are carrying and scramble for weapons. One on the corridor in front of you eschews weapons entirely and comes at you with hits raggedy toothy mouth hungering for your flesh.
OOC:
The three of you that aren't Floats on Thunder will act before them. As a way of teaching the system, these creatures are rank 3, which means you need 9s to hit them or to dodge their attacks or act before them, and they do 3 damage if they hit, and these also have 9 health. There are at least 12 of them, although the scaffolding prevents direct attacks from most of them. There is the one attacking you {T1}, plus four more in direct line of sight {T2-4}. Three more are within a move to get a bead on you {T5-7}. The remainder will need several actions to become a threat. Call your targets, describe your actions and roll for it.
Jan 26, 2016 2:32 am
Eli raises his spike rifle at the charging alien (T1) and fires, and then steps to the side to let his comrades have line of sight.
(Ooc - effort well spent!!)
Last edited January 26, 2016 2:35 am

Rolls

Spike rifle (7+2)=9 damage (1 level of Effort to hit) - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Jan 26, 2016 2:40 am
Bam, head shot. T1 goes down.
Jan 26, 2016 3:23 am
OOC:
Extra points for describing some kind of zero-G improbable wushu.
Jan 26, 2016 3:27 am
I aim my blaster at the first creature I see [T2].
OOC:
Obviously missing because of the new environment.
Last edited January 26, 2016 3:29 am

Rolls

Blaster Attack (5 damage) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 26, 2016 3:41 am
Reaching into one of his many pockets, Diego grabs a grenade, pulls the pin, and starts to count. Aiming for the center of the group he tosses the projectile quick and straight, hoping to have it explode in air, about alien chest high.
OOC:
I'm having him instinctively realize that there is no need to 'lob' the grenade in a low gravity environment and instead trying to get it to 'air burst' amongst the group.

Ha! There goes Diego's hand.... :-)
Last edited January 26, 2016 3:41 am

Rolls

Grenade Attack - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jan 26, 2016 3:47 am
AJ fires a shot, but his target deftly steps out of the way.

Diego throws his grenade hard and it whacks a strut, bounces down, carombs off a walkway, and detonates underneath you. Luckily, the walkway absorbs most of the effects, but Diego flies back out the door, and the rest of you fall upwards into the ceiling.
OOC:
Diego needs to make a speed defense check vs 9 to grab something or sail into The Strange.
Jan 26, 2016 3:53 am
"Son of a biiiii....." is all that is heard as Diego flies through the air desperately trying to find something to grab ahold to.
OOC:
Rolling 1s is more fun that rolling 20s any day! :-)
Last edited January 26, 2016 3:54 am

Rolls

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jan 26, 2016 3:54 am
Two of the three aliens near you fish weapons out from nearby, weapons meaning chunks of material used in the scaffolding, and jump towards you. Their bulky limbs belie their speed, and they are all up in your face before you can whistle Dixie.
OOC:
T2 attacks AJ, speed defense vs. 9
T3 attacks Eli, speed defense vs. 9
The fourth alien {T4} nearby opens a small hatchway and pulls out some kind of energy weapon. It primes the weapon which clicks on with an ominous hum. It seems ready to fire (next round).

Below you, the sound of numberous hatchways opening echoes through the hollowed-out asteroid. The same ominous hum occurs several more times.
Jan 26, 2016 3:59 am
Diego grabs the edge of the doorway, hanging by one hand as his feet dangle out the hut's door back into space. Looking between his feet, it occurs to him that The Strange is really quite pretty, with the gently perturbing fractals of purple dark energy.
OOC:
With a 18, you can add a minor effect, such as moving Diego into a better spot.
OOC:
It is now Floats turn, followed by Eli, AJ and Diego, then all them energy weapon totin' aliens.
Jan 26, 2016 4:37 am
Trying to dodge the alien's attack, I remember a shard of crystal I still have that I hope will act as a weapon. I thrust the shard at the alien. [radiation spike, lvl 9 cypher]
OOC:
Expending a level of effort.

Rolls

Speed Defense (Specialized) - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Attack a/effort - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Jan 26, 2016 9:48 am
With his light blaster out the shaman looks at all the targets and aims at one of the closest. He's concerned about the orb but for now dealing with multiple attackers is more important.
OOC:
Using a level of effort on damage. I think it'd be from Speed pool no?

Rolls

Light weapon attack drops the task one - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jan 26, 2016 10:54 am
Eli attempts to dodge the blaster fire from the vile alien...

(Ooc his resistance cypher is still active so he gets the best of two speed defense rolls)

Rolls

Speed defense - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Speed defense (bonus) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Jan 27, 2016 1:24 am
AJ and Eli each deftly dodge the club attacks.

Floats on Thunder aims his blaster with concentration and fires, striking the alien flailing at Eli in the chest.
OOC:
{T3} has taken 5 damage (2 + 3 for the Effort) - cost for Effort = 3 speed (less speed edge, if applicable).
AJ whips out his crystal shard, and activates it at the creature attacking him. There is a brief hum from the crystal and then a screaming stream of harsh energy strikes the alien. It's flesh erupts into instanteous radiation burns and partially melts. The alien {T2} falls to the ground limply. The shard goes dead in AJs hand, utterly spent.
OOC:
Eli and Diego are up for their actions.
Jan 27, 2016 1:29 am
Diego, white knuckling the door, manages to pull himself forward into the room and towards the alien that is engaged with Eli. Drawing both of his daggers as he's floating through the air he'll slash with both at T3 as he glides by.
OOC:
Basically he's propelling himself through the air in the low gravity. Too much for minor action? Have him crash into something after his attack then.

EDIT: Extra damage on the 19, please.
Last edited January 27, 2016 1:30 am

Rolls

Dual Wield Attack #1 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Dual Wield Attack #2 - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jan 27, 2016 1:54 am
Eli aims squarely at T4 and lets loose a blast

Rolls

(16) + 3 = 19

Jan 27, 2016 2:37 am
Diego, gliding through the air, slashes the alien across a vulnerable spot, and the being {T3 is dead} drops, floating downward and away from you. Eli, his spike rifle clear of the close contact, takes advantage of the open air to fire at the alien with the energy weapon in front of them. The alien is slammed to the wall, and floats sideways slowly, spilling a greyish-green bubble stream into the air {T4 is dead}.
OOC:
I think the aliens are up next.
Jan 27, 2016 2:49 am
The scream of energy weapons, like holes being torn from the universe, fill the space around and below you. From multiple directions, lancing fire reaches for your flesh. Three of the aliens have floated into view {T5-7} but the rest are firing through the scaffolding at you.
OOC:
Everyone make two speed defense rolls please. The first one will be at normal (target is 9 if untrained), and one with an asset for cover (target is 6 if untrained). Except AJ, where both rolls will be with an asset (target 6).
Jan 27, 2016 2:56 am
Diego attempts to twist and roll to avoid the incoming fire.

Rolls

Speed Defense #1 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Speed Defense #2 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jan 27, 2016 11:48 am
Not really knowing the full extent of who was inside the multiple energy beams took Floats on Thunder out of his thoughts and focused on getting out of the way, "Should we call our friend?"

Rolls

Defense Task Level 3 - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Defense Task Level 2 - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jan 27, 2016 12:36 pm
Dodge dodge weave

Rolls

Speed defense #1 - (1d20)

(13) = 13

(20) = 20

Speed defense #2 - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Speed defense (bonus #2) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jan 28, 2016 1:11 am
Diego dodges the first shot, but the second burns through several supports and then his leg. {3 points of might damage}

Floats feels a blast taint his airspace, but he remains unscathed other than some blackening of his enviro suit. A second shot from below harmlessly blasts the edge of the asteroid.

Eli shrugs around two shots that come his way, outwardly non-plussed at the strange weaponry.

The universe waits for AJs next breath.
OOC:
Eli and Diego each critted a speed defence roll. Feel free to embellish your next action in order to describe an advantage created for you or your allies.
Jan 29, 2016 5:32 pm
Launching myself behind the closest cover I can see, I look around for a better vantage point to fire from.
OOC:
The universe is waiting, huh? Glad to know he's universally important.

Rolls

(17) = 17

(1) = 1

Jan 30, 2016 4:32 pm
AJ ducks the obvious attack handily, moving into a better spot for his next action. Unfortunately, his movements place him directly in the way of a shot from below, and debris flings up into his eyes. {AJ takes 3 might damage, and a one step difficulty on actions for one round}

Below, the aliens seem to be congregating at the system terminal by the orb. Several are forming a defensive perimter and the others are trying to put their misshapen forms behind cover of some kind. The orb begins to spin, it's purplish light pulsating more rapidly, and emits a high pitched keening noise that you feel rather than hear.
OOC:
AJ and Floats are up next, followed by Diego and Eli
Jan 30, 2016 4:41 pm
Can you describe how many aliens there are and which are where? I think there are two groups - one group without cover and the other group below, now huddled around the orb - but I'm not sure
Jan 30, 2016 7:11 pm
Three of them are facing you {T5}, {T6}, and {T7}, sort of floating up into the clear with their weapons sizzling from discharge.

Below you, about 15 meters below, are where three are huddled around the system terminal, one entering commands rapidly into the terminal {T8}, and the other two brandishing weapons from behind cover, {T9} and {T10}.

There are at least two others in the area below, also trying to fire at you from behind cover. These two are each about 5 meters from each other and the other 3.{T11} and {T12}
Feb 1, 2016 2:59 am
Half blinded by the debris frm below, I take careful aim on the closest alien I can see.
OOC:
Using one level of Efffort.

Rolls

Attack (5 damage) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 1, 2016 3:17 am
T5 takes 5 points of damage, and is still up.
Feb 1, 2016 11:09 am
Eli aims carefully at T8 and let's a blast go

(Forgot to add that he would radio in to Awayium that they may need some help down here)
Last edited February 1, 2016 11:10 am

Rolls

(14) + 3 = 17

Feb 1, 2016 12:15 pm
"The one that uses the iron box that is guarded! We should stop him." Floats on Thunder says through his suit realizing his voice is muffled. He starts stomping his booted foot the suit hitting the floor with an odd patterned metal clinking sound. The reverberations seem to skittle down and bound towards the ones guarding the iron box worker.

(Exception Applying Effort to damage 1+3 Int Cost -1 Int Edge)

Rolls

Exception Task Level 3 (9) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 1, 2016 10:43 pm
"I'm on it." Diego says in response to FoT's remark. Having nearly killed his party more than once in their time together, he nonetheless feels confident in his ability to hit a far away target while floating through the air. Quickly taking in his surroundings he levels his machine pistol towards the iron box using baddie (T8) hoping that he'll finish off what Eli has started and that the recoil of his gun will push him behind some decent cover.

Rolls

Attack Roll [4 Damage] - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Feb 2, 2016 2:25 pm
Eli's spike rifle tears through the terminal operator, who bounces off the scaffolding it is standing on, and drifts off.
OOC:
{T8} is clearly dead from Eli's shot. Would Floats and Diego like to choose another target?
Feb 2, 2016 2:31 pm
OOC:
Sorry I was aiming at {T9} but I think I missed.
Feb 2, 2016 2:51 pm
Remnant says:
OOC:
Sorry I was aiming at {T9} but I think I missed.
I see that now, but yeah, that's a miss.
Feb 2, 2016 10:34 pm
OOC:
T9 would work as an alternate target for Diego.
Feb 3, 2016 12:19 am
Diego, seeing his initial target splattered by Eli, adjusts his aim to an adjacent alien, but his machine pistol shot strikes the box the alien is hiding behind.
OOC:
Difficulty was 9, with one step of difficulty for cover making it a 12.

The aliens, tired of being picked apart begin to focus on the group. The three nearby ({T5-7} all focus fire at Eli. One of the ones below {T10} takes his buddies place at the system terminal, and the orb spins faster and faster, causing the air around the orb to begin to wave like heat off of desert sand. {T9} fires back at Diego. {T11} fires at Floats and {T12} fires at AJ.
OOC:
Eli: 3 speed defense rolls vs. 9
Diego, AJ and Floats: 1 speed defense roll each vs. 6

Also, if you have a skill that you can roll to figure out what the orb is doing, make me a roll. (For Floats, this will be The Strange.)
Feb 3, 2016 12:56 am
With the aliens readily figuring what the party is trying to do Floats on Thunder attempts to move out of the way of danger while seeing a new operator at the box. It makes him wonder that is going on.
OOC:
I Also have find the flaw if that helps.

Rolls

Speed defense - (1d20)

(19) = 19

The Strange check (Trained) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 3, 2016 1:07 am
With lighting quickness, Eli avoids the brunt of the barrage

(Ooc I forgot to mention for my nat 20 defense last round I wanted to spook 1 alien as per Fights Aliens major effect suggestion)
Last edited February 3, 2016 1:10 am

Rolls

Speed defense (first) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Speed defense (bonus first) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Speed defense (second) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Speed defense (bonus #2) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Speed defense (third) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Speed defense (bonus third) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Feb 3, 2016 1:23 am
"Missed!" Diego yells, cursing at himself under his breath, as he sees his intended target taking aim...
OOC:
BAH! 4 damage? Might?
Last edited February 3, 2016 1:24 am

Rolls

Speed Defense - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Feb 3, 2016 1:32 am
Floats evades the energy weapon that comes at him from below.

Eli dodges the first two shots from the trio floating across from you, but the third comes super close, singing his clothing.
OOC:
Eli is trained in speed defense, lowering the difficulty by one step, so the 6 succeeds.
Remnant says:
OOC:
I Also have find the flaw if that helps.
They don't really have any flaws, other than ruthless efficiency and a fanatical devotion to the space pope.
Ultrann36 says:
(Ooc I forgot to mention for my nat 20 defense last round I wanted to spook 1 alien as per Fights Aliens major effect suggestion)
Cool, one of them will rethink the attack they just made and run for it.
Feb 3, 2016 1:33 am
szemely says:
OOC:
BAH! 4 damage? Might?
3 might damage.
Feb 3, 2016 1:43 am
Diego lets out a scream!!
OOC:
Diego is impaired (no more might)
Feb 3, 2016 1:44 am
OOC:
Did I figure anything out with my 16?
Feb 3, 2016 2:10 am
Remnant says:
OOC:
Did I figure anything out with my 16?
The spinning orb appears to be opening a translation gate. To where, or to whom, or more likely, to what, you are uncertain. In fact, you are not entirely certain how large this gate might be, but the locus of it is expanding. Could it be so large as to encompass the whole asteroid? Surely not!
Feb 3, 2016 2:24 am
(Ooc the 6 would hit because my Speed defense training is only when I'm not wearing armor. But since I rolled 2 19s right before my failed roll, we could consider that I got a 1-round asset to Speed defense - if ok with you)
Feb 3, 2016 3:27 am
Ultrann36 says:
(Ooc the 6 would hit because my Speed defense training is only when I'm not wearing armor. But since I rolled 2 19s right before my failed roll, we could consider that I got a 1-round asset to Speed defense - if ok with you)
That's fine with me.
Feb 3, 2016 10:47 am
Eli radios in to Awayium that they've opened a translation gate, and to advise what we should do.

(Whose go is it now?)
Feb 3, 2016 11:29 am
OOC:
After AJ's Speed Defense roll I believe it is me then the three of you and then the aliens.
Feb 3, 2016 12:40 pm
OOC:
Good Lord, you people are machines. Either that or time really is slipping away from me.
It feels like all I'm doing is running around, jumping out of the way of this or that, whatever seems to be flying my way, trying to kill me!

Rolls

(17) = 17

Feb 3, 2016 2:21 pm
AJ easily dodges the attack coming at him.

Your attacks or actions are up next.
Feb 3, 2016 2:46 pm
OOC:
If I get a minor effect as one who adapts to any environment I'll use the minor effect out of the book +2 points recovered
Floats on Thunder points at the new alien on the terminal, "This one works to make a door between the dream worlds, more may come through or something worse! We finish him and the machine or we may be in great peril" he states over blaster fire before he dances again trying to channel his sound of his steps into bend reality again.

Rolls

Exception Task Level 3 (9) Using Effort on damage (4+3 damge on a hit) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Feb 3, 2016 3:16 pm
The alien takes horrendous damage, but in spite of flesh atrophe, continues to operate the machine.
Feb 3, 2016 3:25 pm
Eli waits a split second to see what his allies can do before he opens fire

(I'm hoping the others target T10 at the terminal. If they miss, I shoot at him. If he dies I fire at T6)

Rolls

(8) + 3 = 11

Feb 3, 2016 5:15 pm
I join Floats on Thunder in pressing the attack on the alien at the terminal.
OOC:
Targeting T10

Rolls

(17) = 17

Feb 3, 2016 5:39 pm
Eli's spike rifle blows a hole through the side of the terminal the alien is hiding behind, zero-G sparks flitting out of the wreckage, but the alien remains standing.

Moments later AJ shoots the same being and it drops. The third alien in that group bolts in fear.

Awium speaks into the communicator "On my way!"

GM Intrusion: Eli, take 1 xp for yourself and give 1 xp to another player. Your rifle shot has busted the aliens terminal. Oh no!
Feb 3, 2016 5:53 pm
OOC:
Do I needed to make a rolll to figure out what just happened?
Feb 3, 2016 6:04 pm
OOC:
No, it's obviously busted, but you don't know how bad from where you are.
Feb 4, 2016 3:20 pm
OOC:
I meant due to my understanding of The Strange are you getting ready to have some Michael Bay effects going off in here or should we start running away since this got very bad very quickly (Recursion tearing)? It's Szemely's turn so I don't have time to scream run away while I demonstrate... XD
Feb 4, 2016 8:39 pm
Remnant says:
OOC:
(Recursion tearing)?
OOC:
That's a great idea! But no. It appears to be a gate. Whether it may send the asteroid somewhere else, or bring something to you, you're not sure.
Feb 4, 2016 8:40 pm
Whose action is it? I thought we were waiting for the bad guys
Feb 4, 2016 8:56 pm
I think it's Diego's turn, then ... aliens, oh snap.
Feb 4, 2016 10:36 pm
Diego will target the that is running away from the terminal.

"Not so fast, Amigo!" he yells, cringing a bit when he does. "Just doesn't sound right without the accent"

He fires off a short burst from the machine pistol.
OOC:
Hey-oh!!

Diego is impaired, so I don't believe he gets any real bonuses for the 20.
Last edited February 4, 2016 10:37 pm

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Feb 5, 2016 1:11 am
Diego's machine pistol strikes the fleeing alien ({T9} takes 4+1 damage).
OOC:
When impaired, you don't cause any minor and major effects, and a roll of 17+ grants only +1 damage.
The three aliens near you are closing in, their energy weapons gripped tightly in their misshapen limbs. The interior of the asteroid has begun warping, stretching in weird lines and angles, making everything harder to predict.

The two aliens remaining below converge frantically on the system terminal.
AJ, Floats and Eli all make speed defense rolls, please, difficulty 12 (before modification for training/specialization).
Feb 5, 2016 1:13 am
Eli tries to avoid enemy fire...

Rolls

Speed defense - (1d20)

(16) = 16

(9) = 9

Feb 5, 2016 1:16 am
OOC:
Eli is getting good use out of that cypher, heh.
Feb 5, 2016 2:08 am
"They do not like us doing what we're doing to their Iron Box" Floats on Thunder states diving out of the way of incoming blaster shots

Rolls

Don't geek the mage! - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Feb 5, 2016 10:51 am
I dive out of their line of fire, looking around for a defensible position to attack from.
OOC:
Oops. That was suppose to be a speed defense roll. Sorry. Coffee hasn't kicked in.
Last edited February 5, 2016 11:18 am

Rolls

(20) = 20

(1) = 1

Feb 5, 2016 10:55 am
(Ooc I slide an xp to Floats on Thunder)

Eli smiles a dark smile and let's loose another spike rifle blast at an unwounded alien

(Ooc edit - I spend an xp for a reroll)
Last edited February 5, 2016 10:56 am

Rolls

(2) + 3 = 5

Spike rifle (7+2)=9 damage (1 level of Effort to hit) - reroll - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Feb 5, 2016 1:08 pm
OOC:
I think you still need Deigo's defense roll and I'm unsure which one Eli is targeting (plus he has a minor effect!), if it's one of the two running for the terminal machine I'll go with 'the other one' {T11} or {T12} Thanks for the XP also!
Floats on Thunder having moved out of the blaster shot to the face starts to chant and moving oddly in the low gravity staring at the aliens that were moving to the terminal.

"Your twisted ways ends now." he states his voice taking on an odd reverberation.

Spirit of Mother Earth, Bringer of Lights the Child Star bind these transgressors that twist and warp the ways of the Spirits.
OOC:
Attempting Entangling Force + Effort to upgrade it to a Level 3 Construct kinda unsure how it works for the action, I figure I roll right?
OOC:
Edit: For the minor effect I'll go with communing with the Spirits for Entangling Force (1 Int +3 for Effort -1 for Int Edge) renews my body with a connection to the Spirits (+2 to pool points again)
Last edited February 5, 2016 1:11 pm

Rolls

Entangling Force (Using Effort to upgrade to L3) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 5, 2016 2:29 pm
AJ dips instead of dodges and takes an energy blast to the leg {3 might damage}. He turns and fires, killing the offending alien with a shot between the eyes {T5 is down}.
OOC:
I just took your rolls as described, including your nat 20 attack.
Eli steps around incoming fire and in turn fires at one of the aliens below, and shatters its shoulder and chest. {T11 is down}.

Remant spins out of the way of an energy bolt, and spying the other alien heading for the gate control, wraps the being in lines of force. {T12 is trapped in a level 3 construct - will attempt to escape on its next turn}.
Diego is up. T10 is running, T12 is trapped, T6 and T7 are attacking. He wasn't attacked so he doesn't need a SD roll. Also if everyone can give me Perception or Strange rolls, that would cool.
Feb 5, 2016 2:39 pm
Seeing one of the terminal runners down and the other stopped Floats on Thunder surveys the scene of the attackers coming at them and the busted terminal below...
OOC:
Uh... Eli gave me an XP I think now would be a good time to put it to use...
Last edited February 5, 2016 2:40 pm

Rolls

The Strange (Trained one Step down) - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Redo of previous roll (Come on 2+!) - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Feb 5, 2016 2:52 pm
Floats on Thunder's knowledge of The Strange informs him that the device is not functioning properly. In fact, the gate should have opened by now which would have released its building energy. The gate has opened, but the orb continues to build energy, on some kind of runaway uncontrolled build up. What might happen? The gate will likely send the asteroid, the Ilsidur, and the local environment of The Strange on some kind of massive trip into the reaches of the universe.
Feb 5, 2016 3:29 pm
"The Alien's Iron Box grows in power, if left uncheck it may swallow us, this rock, the Ilsidur, and part of this world... We will have to deal with it quickly." the Shaman lets the rest of the party know as he searches his mind and his teachings on what they should be doing. Flight or Fix?
OOC:
With my roll of 17 would I have a general idea on if we can fix this or if it's better to bug out?
Feb 5, 2016 4:36 pm
Remnant says:
With my roll of 17 would I have a general idea on if we can fix this or if it's better to bug out?
The control panel appears to be the only way to control the orb and gate. Without examining how busted that panel is, assuming that examination isn't hindered by a language barrier, you can only guess whether or not the gate can even be shut down.
Feb 5, 2016 4:42 pm
OOC:
This is going to be either an epic new PC to the group moment or epic fail (and he or all of us die/get sucked into another world) it seems...
Feb 5, 2016 5:18 pm
If Eli's perception roll is still relevant, given Floats' roll for The Strange...

Rolls

Perception (trained) - (1d20+3)

(13) + 3 = 16

Feb 5, 2016 5:53 pm
Eli notices that Awium is entering the asteroid through the doorway behind you.
Feb 5, 2016 6:07 pm
"Awium, we're gonna need your tech skills up here!! I'll stick to what I'm good at -- spotting aliens and taking them out."
Feb 5, 2016 10:23 pm
Diego will take aim at one of the attacking aliens (T6) and pull the trigger. "The more I shoot, the more likely I am to hit something..."

Rolls

Attack Roll - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Perception Roll - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Feb 5, 2016 11:37 pm
Diego tags the alien but otherwise is focussed on the battle. ({T6} takes 4 damage.)
Feb 6, 2016 3:07 pm
Awium uses the manoeuvring thrusters on his environment suit to fly into the asteroid and land near the system terminal. Sparks continue to shoot out of the side, but he must see something that looks promising, because he starts to interact with what must be some kind of touch display.

Beside him, the orb begins breaking apart. Waves of palpable energy have begun reducing the nearby scaffolding to smaller and smaller parts.

"I need more time, it's in another language... wait, this!" and he slams a button. The orb explodes.

Thread locked