Chapter 1, Day 5: The Council at Drellin's Ferry

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 3, 2016 1:13 am
You are woken well before dawn by the sound of shouting. You hear a commotion out in the streets, "Awake! Awake! Goblins are attacking the west bank!" someone cries. Looking out the window, you can see bright flames leaping up from houses and buildings on the other side of the river and hear the faint roar and crackle of distant flames.
Mar 3, 2016 2:48 am
Pawetha sighs at the commotion, but any irritation is drowned by the report of goblins. She dresses and methodically dons her leather in practiced order, albeit with a bit of haste. The ranger gathers her weapons and strings her bow, then leaves her room and proceeds out into the street to meet her hated foe.
Mar 3, 2016 1:01 pm
Wiping the sleep out of his eyes, Zaris makes his way down into the common room of the inn and looks around trying to find out what all the yelling is about.
Mar 3, 2016 1:06 pm
I wake up fully clothed, daggers nearby. After I've checked to make sure all my belongings are intact, I head to the front of the tavern to see who else is awake.
Mar 3, 2016 1:08 pm
Xara arrives downstairs in time to see Zaris step out the front door, the mage, not having armor to don, was ready as fast as she was.

Zaris steps out onto the street in front of the inn and looks towards the commotion. He can see signs of fire on the other side of the river. He sees a few boys with armfuls of weapons and armour running towards the ferry's landing, probably the town guard are assembling there in preparation for going across the river and meeting the goblin threat.

A few minutes later Pawetha makes he way down stairs.
Mar 3, 2016 1:14 pm
"I wonder if those elders are up for a chat now?"
Mar 3, 2016 3:23 pm
Awakened from my terrible night's sleep of worrying about dragon retaliation, I recognize the sound of battle. Fearing the worst, I leave my armor but take my magical sword and shield, searching for my friends.
OOC:
Donning all my armor will take too long but if I can have a little armor with only a round or two used up then I'll do that.
Mar 3, 2016 4:34 pm
Hearing the sounds of battle and shouting I bolt out of bed quickly throw on my cloths, wind my bandoleer around my chest and grab my spears. When I arrive downstairs I see Xara and Zaris, "The horde that blocked my route was not close enough to attack this village. This must be a scouting party testing the defenses of the village."
Mar 3, 2016 5:51 pm
Five or so minutes later Kaiakas arrives on the ground floor, sword and shield in hand wearing a chain shirt hastily thrown over his head and buckled in place.
Mar 3, 2016 6:22 pm
Once assembled, the group heads out into the streets and to the ferry landing. There they find Captain Sorana shouting orders, as she tries to assemble together, arm and armour a group of cards in preparation for crossing the river to the west bank where the fires and goblin raiders are attacking. The ferrymen are working to hitch their horses to the pulls and prepare the ferry to transport a squad to the other bank. It looks to be at least another 10 or 15 minutes before the ferry will be ready to depart.
Mar 3, 2016 6:26 pm
"Hmmm. Perhaps I had time to put all my armor on after all."
Mar 3, 2016 6:45 pm
Pawetha gives the tiefling a once-over. "At least you remembered pants." She looks for any easier method of crossing the river, but assuming there is none (or it would actually take longer), she waits for the ferry.

To Ghunril, the gnome looks up and asks, "So, is this the sensitive news you had?"
Mar 3, 2016 7:10 pm
Except by your own means (such as magic, were you so able), the ferry is the only way.
Mar 3, 2016 8:20 pm
"Most likely a small advance force. I can't imagine multiple groups of goblins advancing on the same location. But I also wouldn't have imagined a dragon being in league with goblins either so anything is possible." I look in the direction of Captain Sorana and yell to be heard over the crowd noise "Is there anything we can do to help with preparations to cross the river?"

OOC, I only yell as loud as to be heard, I'm not trying to blast her eardrums out.
Mar 3, 2016 8:32 pm
"It's much more than that, my new friend. Your bit of news is alarming, sure, but we have much more intel to share with the council. We've been quite busy."
Last edited March 3, 2016 8:33 pm
Mar 4, 2016 2:47 pm
Within moments the ferry is prepared and Sorana and her guards begin to board it, she waves you aboard as well with a shout, "If you're going to help, come aboard!"

The ferry heavily loaded with soldiers and warriors feels like it crawls across the river as the horses toil and struggle to pull it along. The journey is agonizingly slow as you have nothing to do but watch as houses erupt in flame on the opposite shore and slowly burn to the ground.

When the ferry lands Sorana says, "You sweep south, me and the guards will sweep north." With that she and hers are gone. You only get a hundred or so feet from the ferry landing when you spot a trio of goblin worg riders dashing down the street, whooping and shaking their bows in the air. A pair of powerful hell hounds bound along side them...
OOC:
This takes place somewhere near building 17

Player turn, post as you will. 3 Hobgoblin Worg Riders, 2 Hellhounds... They are about 30 feet away
Mar 4, 2016 4:10 pm
Pawetha eyes the range and closing speed of the advancing unit. She drops to one knee and whispers along the shaft of her first arrow as she sights down the goblin rider in the middle of the group, and the wood seems to fray like thistles. Pawetha fires her shortbow straight-on, launching two arrows in quick succession at the goblin and worg. As the first arrow flies, it puffs into tiny splinters of sharp wooden thorns that saturate the area.

The ranger then moves to the side, away from the charging enemy, for cover by the building.
OOC:
Hail of Thorns
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
The next time you hit a creature with a ranged weapon attack before the spell ends, this spell creates a rain of thorns that sprouts from your ranged weapon or ammunition. In addition to the normal effect of the attack, the target of the attack and each creature within 5 feet of it must make a Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes 1d10 piercing damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Goblin rider - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Horde Breaker, Shortbow vs Worg - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (2) + 7 = 9

1d6+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Hail of Thorns - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Mar 4, 2016 4:40 pm
Ghunril moves to the left of the pack and unleashes his breath attack.
OOC:
I want to prioritize the hellhounds with the blast but if they both cant be hit with the cone I would try and incompass as many enemies as possible
Green (Poison) 15ft cone, 2d6 damage
They get a Con save throw for half damage

Rolls

Poison Breath attack - (2d6)

(21) = 3

Mar 5, 2016 12:51 am
Pawetha's arrows strike the ground at the worg's feet. While the projectiles missed, the thorns that immediately burst forth from them slash and rend into the rider and mount.

Ghunril, steps to the side and gets a clean blast of breath weapon on the whole group. The cloud of poison is quickly inhaled and they all cough and sputter.
OOC:
Xara, Zaris and Kaiakas
Mar 7, 2016 3:02 am
"I'm growing very tired of these damn words!" Zaris says pulling the wand from his belt loop. He stands firmly, raises the slender piece of wood into the air and brings it down slowly in the direction of the worg adding to the pain caused by the thorns.
OOC:
Wand of magic missiles

Rolls

magic missile #1 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

magic missile #2 - (1d4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

magic missile #3 - (1d4+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Mar 7, 2016 3:09 pm
The missiles unerringly strike the worg, leaving small patches of magically seared away fur on its side.
OOC:
Xara and/or Kaiakas!
Mar 8, 2016 7:17 pm
I run towards one of the hellhounds screaming at it, then pretend to trip and fall in the hopes it will turn its attention towards me. I pull out my rapier and get ready to strike when it comes close enough.
Last edited March 8, 2016 7:17 pm

Rolls

Acrobatics - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Mar 8, 2016 10:06 pm
Glaring at the hellhounds, I draw my sword and charge. Shield at the ready against the foul creatures, a flurry of snowflakes trail my blade's path. "To The Abyss with you!" I

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Damage - (1d8+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Cold damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Mar 9, 2016 3:07 pm
From a nearby side street, a familiar, yet almost forgotten war cry sings out, and three magic missiles lash toward each of the worgs.
"light!, Zaris, why didn't you wake me up?"
OOC:
Corban will follow the missiles and move into melee range with the worgs.
Note: shield isn't equipped atm for spell casting purposes. AC is 16,character sheet updated
Last edited March 9, 2016 3:12 pm

Rolls

Magic missile d4+1 v Worg 1 - (1D4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Magic missile d4+1 v Worg 2 - (1D4+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Magic missile d4+1 v Worg 3 - (1D4+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Mar 9, 2016 3:12 pm
Xara stumbles forward and feigns a poorly executed front roll, and while it doesn't attract the attention of the foes - as they are readily engaged in melee by Corban and Kaiakas - it draws their attention away from the clearly incompetent fighter giving her an edge (Xara gains Advantage on her attacks next round).

Kaiakas closes with the hellhounds and lashes into one with his wintery blade. The hell hound squeals in pain as the cold enchantment bites into its warm flesh.

More magic missiles strike the worgs as Corban appears just in time to distract the charging hobgoblins from closing on Zaris.
OOC:
Enemy turn forthcoming, probably later this afternoon I'm afraid
Mar 9, 2016 4:49 pm
"I just awoke myself Corban!" he says with a grimace and groan. "All I want is one night of continuous sleep! Is that too much to ask for?!" Zaris situates himself in-between Corban and the onrushing hobgoblins, drawing his sword.
Mar 12, 2016 12:06 am
The hell hounds converge on Kaiakas, jaws filling with fire as they bite and nip at him (15 vs AC, 5 Fire Damage; 17 vs AC,4 Fire Damage). The worgs and hobgoblin riders engage with Corban and Ghunril. One rider and two worgs strike and stab at Corban (12 vs AC, 11 Damage; 15 vs AC, 7 Damage; 11 vs AC, 6 Damage), and the other two worgs attempt to pin the dragonborn (8 vs AC; 21 vs AC, 6 Damage and knocked prone) allowing the hobgoblin to get a clean stab at the dragon born (21 vs AC; 10 Damage).
OOC:
Player turn! Ghunril and Corban are engaged with the three hobgoblin riders. Ghunril is presently prone. Kaiakas is separately engaged with the two hell hounds. Everyone else is happily at their ideal range from the conflict.
Mar 12, 2016 12:13 am
I stumble forward, keeping the hellhounds in my sight as I circle around and stab whichever looks more injured in the back.

Rolls

Attack! (w/advantage) - (1d20+5, 1d8+3, 1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d8+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Sneak Attack damage! - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Mar 12, 2016 12:34 am
Divide and conquer isn't working here, thinks Pawetha. From her position, she backs up for better distance and draws a bead on the gobin and worg currently pinning the dragonborn; the ranger fires an arrow each at them.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Goblin rider - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (6) + 7 = 13

1d6+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Horde Breaker, Shortbow vs Worg - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

1d6+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Mar 12, 2016 8:56 am
I spring back to my feet after being knocked down by the worgs and attack the rider with my spear and stike its worg with my fist.
OOC:
Martial Arts: When you use the Attack action with an unarmed strike or a monk weapon on your turn, you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action

Rolls

Attack on Hobgoblin - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Attack on Worg - (1d20+4, 1d4+2)

1d20+4 : (18) + 4 = 22

1d4+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Mar 12, 2016 2:19 pm
Corban clutches his longsword and retaliates against the hobgoblin that attacked him previously, slashing furiously.

Rolls

Damage w/longsword - (1D8+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

Attack w/longsword - (1D20+8)

(15) + 8 = 23

Mar 12, 2016 2:26 pm
Xara strikes at the hellhound Kaiakas already slashes with his cold weapon, stabbing the creature in the back of the neck and killing it instantly. Pawetha's arrows are, in turn, deflected by the hobgoblin's armour and avoided by the worg mount. Ghunril's spear thrust is parried by the hobgoblin's blade, but the dragonborn finds purchase when he attacks the worg. Corban slashes at the hobgoblin that has come under fire, and the creature, distracted by its other efforts to defend itself, doesn't see the blade coming and is swiftly beheaded.
OOC:
Zaris and Kaiakas remain. 1 Hell Hound, 1 unmounted Worg, and 2 Hobgoblin-Worg riders left
Mar 13, 2016 7:35 pm
I eye the one remaining Hell Hound with a savage glint in my eye. I swing at the beast, trailing a small flurry of snowflakes.
OOC:
woohoo! I think that's my first nat 20 in this game.
Last edited March 13, 2016 7:36 pm

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Sword damage - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Cold damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Mar 14, 2016 4:31 pm
"Feeling inspired, eh Kaiakas??" I give him a grin and a wink, then focus my attention on the next biggest threat. One of the many burdens of leadership- gotta take down the big guys first so my team members can clean up the scraps.
Mar 14, 2016 4:35 pm
Kaiakas cleaves through the second hell hound, his cold blade slicing into its warmed hide like a hot knife through butter. The creature spits out a half formed blast of fire in its last breath as it falls to the ground.
OOC:
I rolled your bouns crit damage, which caused the kill! Zaris is still up. I'll post the monster turn as soon as I have time.
Mar 14, 2016 8:22 pm
Satisfied with the kill, I turn to Xara. "Tyr, the Just God, inspires me to rid Faerûn of such evil wherever I encounter it."
OOC:
I'm suddenly hearing Kaiakas with a Russian accent. I think it's because of the Draenei on World of Warcraft.
Mar 15, 2016 2:54 am
Realizing the speed of the worg needed to be his focus, Zaris sheathed his sword and thrust his hands out, fingers spread and thumbs touching at the tips. "Zeerath, dal'keeran balzamon," he spoke melodically as streaks of cold ice launched from his fingers towards the foul beast
OOC:
Ray of Frost at the unmanned worg.

Rolls

Ranged attack - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

ice damage (and slowed to 10 feet for next round) - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Mar 15, 2016 7:28 pm
The ray of frost hits the worg, covering its paws in a thin, chilling frost.

The chilled worg lunges for Corban's side, (12 vs AC; 14 damage). The other hobgoblin riders, seeing that you are well equipped and skilled fighters, use their spears to parry your attacks (Disengage Action) while their mounts turn heel and flee down the street, wheeling around a corner.
OOC:
Player turn; 1 injured Worg remains. The other two riders moved 20 feet down the road, then turned a corner.
Mar 15, 2016 7:41 pm
Pawetha fires another arrow at the remaining worg, mentally noting the direction the other riders went.

Rolls

Shortbow vs Worg - (1d20+7, 1d6+3)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Mar 15, 2016 7:42 pm
Pawetha's arrow takes the worg in the shoulder. It yelps, but does not go down.
Mar 15, 2016 7:59 pm
I run towards the worg. When I'm within range, I throw 2 daggers at it.

Rolls

Attack 1 - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d4+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Attack 2 - (1d20+5, 1d4+3)

1d20+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

1d4+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Mar 15, 2016 8:04 pm
Xara dashes forward and tosses two daggers at the lone worg. The first of the two hits the worg clean between the eyes and the creature falls to the ground. Twitches, and then lays still. The second dagger hits the dirt beside the now-corpse.
OOC:
Worg dead
.. Anyone that runs around the corner pursuing the hobgoblin riders finds they have fled a further 80 feet down the main road, heading towards the woods.
Mar 15, 2016 8:14 pm
Pawetha attempts to recover some of the arrows she fired, but it's really a half-gesture as her attention is on the surroundings. She is watchful of any enemy approach.
Mar 15, 2016 8:23 pm
I stride over to my daggers and pick them up, wiping the blood off the one that was imbedded in the worg. "That wasn't so hard. Now what? Follow the other two back to their den?"
Mar 15, 2016 8:31 pm
"No," says Pawetha, pulling arrows from bodies and the ground and inspecting them. "this was probably an advance raid. Let's secure the area and connect with Captain Sorana." The ranger looks for any ladders or easy access to the rooftops, for a better vantage.
Mar 15, 2016 8:52 pm
"Pawetha is right," Zaris says to Xara. The wizard draws his wand out from his belt loop and takes a nervous look across the water. "It doesn't make sense to me as to why they would send just a small group instead of a full force though." He pulls a piece of leather from his pouch and chants over it softly. It glows red for a moment as Zaris tucks it inside his shirt. "I'll take a look with you Pawetha."
OOC:
Mage Armor. AC 15 for the next 8 hours.
Mar 16, 2016 12:32 am
"This was indeed a very small advance party, mayhaps a scouting party that got blood thirsty. The main force of this horde numbers in the thousands comprised mainly of goblin worg riders and hobgoblins but they are reinforced with siege engines, giants and a scarlet dragon." Ghunril grunts as he presses his hand against the blade gash in his side. "I do not think I can engage with another force such as that without attention to these wounds."
Mar 16, 2016 1:12 am
At the mention of my comrade's injuries, I sheath my blade as I walk over to him. "Allow me." A golden light shines from my hand hovering over the wound.

Rolls

Cure Wounds - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Mar 16, 2016 1:12 am
"That should be easy enough. Who's got the magic stick? Was it you, Kaiakas?" I turn at that moment and notice him heal our newest team member. "... Or that could work. Great! Good as new."
OOC:
Edited: Great minds think alike!
Last edited March 16, 2016 1:14 am
Mar 16, 2016 1:51 am
I turn to Xara with a confused look. "The staff? Uh ... I don't know. I think it was left at the inn - with my armor."
OOC:
Seriously no idea who has that thing/where it is.
Mar 16, 2016 2:04 am
I just shake my head at him. "You should really learn to sleep with your armor on."
Mar 16, 2016 11:52 am
A look of deep concern crosses Zaris' face. "Thousands?!" he exclaims. "We don't have the means to deal with a force that large! There are too many innocent people here." He looks around back at the village and shakes his head. "Evacuation may be in order.
Mar 16, 2016 12:17 pm
Pawetha finds a low shed that she is able to climb atop to gain access to the roof of a nearby building. From there she can see a good portion of the buildings on this side of the bank are alight, although the fires are being subdued and the air is filled with black smoke. She can make out several groups of riders and hobgoblins fleeing towards the woods from various parts of the city. Their and Sorana's teams resistance appears to have been sufficient to break the attack. She counts maybe two dozen foes in total fleeing.
Mar 16, 2016 5:00 pm
Ghunril stands a bit taller and stretches to see the wound healing under the glowing light of Kaiakas' hands."Thank you my friend." I turn toward Zaris, "Yes, This force cut off my return route to my clan. Their main encampment is in a valley on the Dawn Way next to a small mountain."
Mar 16, 2016 6:17 pm
"Sounds like we should pay that encampment a visit and burn it down."
Mar 16, 2016 6:23 pm
Pawetha sweeps her eyes across her surroundings, looking for signs of Captain Sorana and her forces.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Mar 16, 2016 8:12 pm
Pawetha scans the area but does not see Sorana's forces. As she climbs down from the rooftop, however, she finds that Sorana and her soldiers - some of whom look noticeably injured but all are accounted for - have already met up with her allies, "Seems to have been a small force, although it is a worrying event. This is the first time they've been so brave as to attack the village directly. When you returned I had assumed it was because you dealt with the hobgoblin threat. I take it, this event means you have not."
Mar 16, 2016 8:29 pm
Pawetha snorts. "We returned in order to warn you folks of the true severity of this hobgoblin threat."
Mar 16, 2016 8:41 pm
Sorana sheathes her blade, "The council will meet at daybreak, you'll probably want a few hours to eat and clean up." She turns to one of the men at her side, "Rally the soldiers, and double the watch on this side of the bank. If you see a hobgoblin or a worg, shoot it."
Mar 16, 2016 10:35 pm
"Any way to find out if other towns were attacked?" Maybe they were just testing the waters. Or maybe they're trying to hide their true plans. That's what I'd do. But maybe not everyone is like me.
Mar 19, 2016 3:32 pm
"Attacking their encampment might be suicidal, unless we have an army around somewhere that I don't know about?"
Mar 19, 2016 4:01 pm
"It would catch them by surprise, at least. They've been planning something for who knows how long now and we're just now trying to play catch-up. The longer we wait, the further we fall behind. Unless you have a better plan that I don't know about?"
Mar 19, 2016 4:27 pm
"We retreat," answers Pawetha. "If the dragonborn is correct, we're dealing with thousands, if not hundred-thousand, hobgoblins and their allies. We barely survived the bridge against far lesser numbers. Yes, we defeated that green dragon, but the dragonborn's report is that there's also a red in their ranks."

The ranger secures her weapons and proceeds to search the slain hobgoblin. Perhaps the monster had something useful on his person.
Mar 20, 2016 12:59 pm
Pawetha finds a half dozen gold coins, and nothing else of note. Given his attire, Pawetha expects that, like the other worg riders they've fought, he was a soldier and not a leader.

Sorana starts towards the ferry, "It looks like the fight here is finished. I will see you in a few hours at the council meeting. Come to Wiston's home at daybreak."
Mar 20, 2016 5:48 pm
Pawetha rises and pockets the gold. She nods to the captain's words, and says to the group, "I'm going back to the inn for something to eat."
Mar 21, 2016 12:32 am
"Pawetha, allow me to accompany you. We should discuss the most effective way to evacuate this town." Zaris says with concern.
Mar 21, 2016 2:09 am
"If they'll listen," says Pawetha. "We've got all the signs, plus the dragonborn had eyes on the army itself. How much will they believe?"
Mar 21, 2016 2:26 am
"What a lovely way to spend the day, huh?" Another wasted day, meanwhile there's probably an army heading towards town. Fantastic.
Mar 21, 2016 12:40 pm
Zaris frowned as he replied to Pawetha. "If the actions of those creatures this morning doesn't convince them, then I don't know what will."
Last edited March 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm
Hours later... the sky is filled with hopeful orange light as the sun breaks the horizon and begins its slow, steady, ascent. You gather outside the inn and walk down the main street toward Wiston's home. As is the norm in a farming community, with the break of day the village begins to stir with activity. Fear, worry and hesitation hang in the air, visible in the townsfolk's movements as they hurry from home to market or outlying farmstead. It seems no one slept soundly this last night.

Arriving as Wiston's home you find two guards stationed outside. They see you, bow their heads in polite deference and show you inside. There you are, as you were the first time you visited, seated at the table in the dining room. The guard who showed you in asks, "Can I get you a drink, or a bite of breakfast? The councillors will arrive shortly, I am sure."
Mar 21, 2016 12:55 pm
"I'll take whatever you've got, my good man. A delicious meal is always welcome. A fine drink even more so."
Mar 21, 2016 1:51 pm
Corban yawns and rubs his eyes approaching the house. He looks at the guard, "aye, I could eat a horse my good man."
Mar 21, 2016 2:20 pm
"A plate of eggs please," Zaris replies as he finds a place to sit. He pulls out his notebook and begins writing.
Mar 21, 2016 3:08 pm
"Whatever is available will suite me." Ghunril give a short bow to the guard.
Mar 21, 2016 3:42 pm
"Meat and water," says Pawetha as stares at her offered chair, "with a side of bread or cheese." She reluctantly sits, forehead peeking out over the tabletop.
Mar 21, 2016 7:43 pm
The guard nods, and a few minutes later a woman - probably Wiston's wife - puts a plate of eggs, meat and fruit on the table for each of you and serves a hearty glass of clear, crisp ale. When you finish the guard returns and leads you into the sitting room. There you are introduced to Kellin, the halfling who owns the Old Bridge Inn - where you have been staying the past couple days. Also in attendance is Captain Sorana, Delora Zann, the woman who owns the livery stable; and a tall, sour-faced man named Iormel, who is evidently a person of some property. Along with Norro Wiston, these people are the Town Council.

"Well, you all know why we are here." Wiston says without preamble, "In a matter of days we're going to have an army of goblins, hobgoblins, and monsters on our doorsteps. What do we do? Fight? Try to talk to them? Abandon the town and flee? Or do nothing and hope to Pelor they don't come this way?" The councillors turn their gaze your way, waiting to see what you recommend before voicing their positions...
Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm
Pawetha steps forward, and brings out the hobgoblin map. "Your best plan is to evacuate to Brindol. Bring word of this horde so they can muster an army to match. Warn the other villages along the Dawn Way."
Mar 21, 2016 8:06 pm
Iromel speaks up, "We can't let them take everything we've worked so hard for, just because we lack the nerve to stand up to this hobgoblin rabble!"
Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm
Pawetha's cheeks flush, and she dismisses the tall man with a lazy gesture. "Fine, this idiot can stay here while worg riders, bugbears, manticores, and dragons burn down everything in sight. The smart folk should be gathering what they can carry and making way for Brindol."
Mar 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Zaris stands and puts a gentle hand on Pawetha's shoulder. "Iromel, we can appreciate the hard work and sacrifice that everyone here has put in here, and we are strangers in your town, but the threat we are you.....we are facing here is beyond serious. We nearly lost our lives against a green dragon." The wizard sighs and takes a breath before continuing. "We certainly not here to tell you what to do. But we do feel that this is the best option."
Mar 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Kellin speaks up, "A dragon? Dragon's just want treasure don't they... Let's just give them treasure this time, but see to our defenses. If they come back next year and ask for more, we'll be ready to fight then!"

Wiston pipes up at this point, "Maybe.. I don't see what it could hurt to at least ask them what they want.. but maybe we should tell folks to get their children and elderly in wagons heading east, while we still can."
Mar 21, 2016 9:02 pm
Despite Zaris's hand, Pawetha spits. "Maybe if the dragons were leading this army, but they're working for the Red Hand. That should tell you about the power behind this horde. And these notes... what, none of you read Goblin? These notes seek to kill and burn everything in their path, all the way to Brindol. You want to speak to them, that's your business. Last night's scouting attack ought to be a clue as to their intentions."
Mar 22, 2016 1:26 am
"There is nothing that I have encountered during this event that indicates that the Red Hand is looking to negotiate," Zaris adds firmly. "If you try to negotiate I fear you will find yourselves slaughtered." Zaris frowns and sits back down in his chair.
Mar 22, 2016 1:38 am
"I saw this army and there was nothing about it that looked anything other than hostile. I have never seen such a force of bloodthirsty races gathered in one place. I fear along with Zaris, that any effort to negotiate would be met with the goblins cook pots.

I can give you more details on the enemy force if that would be helpful if swaying you to evacuate."
Mar 22, 2016 2:10 am
Pawetha turns to the dragonborn. "Lay it on us anyway, Ghunril. We should know exactly what we're up against."
Mar 22, 2016 12:10 pm
Zaris puts his notebook away and turns towards the dragonborn, eyes fixed intently.
Mar 22, 2016 12:16 pm
I just watch everyone intently and see if I can glean anything from them.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 22, 2016 1:24 pm
Delora, who has been silent up until now, finally speaks "I am in agreement with our guests. I've seen towns put to the sword before. Death or slavery await us if we remain here. We must gather the things we can and flee east, the sooner the better!"

Xara, looking around, gets the sense that of all those here Wiston was, when they arrived, the most indecisive... but now, given the arguments that have been made and the firm approval of Delora, his expression has become fixed, "It is decided. We evacuate the town. Iormel and Kellin, spread the word, while Delora, Sorana and I take record of the hoard's size and composition." With the decision made firmly, Iromel and Kellin bow their heads respectfully and grudgingly get to their feet, leaving to execute the town speaker's decision.

Wiston looks back to Ghunril, "Tell us, when you saw the hoard what did you see?"
Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm
I sit there, silently taking it all in. Evacuation is the only acceptable answer. These people must be protected, and this Red Hand must be stopped. Meeting each other's gaze, I nod to my companions, supporting their points and ready to set into motion the only acceptable decision.
Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm
"While I was on a long patrol for my clan, my route was suppose to take me over the Dawn Way but as I crested the hills I was greeted with the site of the army of the Red Hand. I didn't know the name at the time but Pawetha has filled that detail in.

Their encampment is large and mostly unorganized with hundreds of crude tents dot the valley floor, interspersed with siege engines, groups of wagons, and pens for draft beasts. There were bands of goblin worg riders patrol the camp's outskirts, battalions of fierce hobgoblins engage in mock battles. I also saw multiple giants dispersed throughout the camp and a red dragon circling overhead.

The advance parties we saw this morning aren't even a fraction of the force that is advancing on the river. That was all that I was able to obtain before I was forced to flee here."

Ghunril give a short bow to end his speech and folds his hands as he retakes his seat.
Mar 22, 2016 4:22 pm
"Giants," sighs Pawetha. "That's new."

She returns her attention to the map as she speaks to Wiston. "We ought to warn these other settlements. I assume you're taking everyone to Brindol along the Dawn Way? Is there someone you can send to Dauth and Prosser?"
Mar 22, 2016 4:36 pm
Sorana stands, sighing heavily, "This is terrible news indeed. I'm glad you convinced the others to flee. I can see if we can spare a few militia to warn those in Dauth and Prosser." She leans over the map and points at the rally point of the hoard, then traces the path it will have to follow to reach Drellen's Ferry given that the Skull Gorge Bridge has been destroyed, "Given the size of the hoard, it will take them at least 6 days, probably closer to 8 or 9. That will give us a good head start, thank you. I need to get preparations in order, and ensure that we are prepared for any attacks such as last nights in the meantime." She bows her head politely before leaving you alone with the speaker.

Wiston's brow is furrowed, he is clearly worried about these developments, "I am not sure there is more you can do for us. I'm afraid I'll I have for you is our thanks. With luck the whole village will be on the road to Brindol within a couple days. I do hope the road to Brindol is safe."
OOC:
If you don't have anything more specific you would like from Wiston you are welcome to take on any other business you might have - this is the second day in the village so the blacksmith isn't yet done any of the ordered equipment. Zaris' supply order, however, will be delivered to the wizard by the apprentice he spoke to as you leave the speaker's house
Mar 22, 2016 4:55 pm
Pawetha will need to replenish some of her arrows, and will visit the blacksmith to see if the old dwarf has any in stock (and also to check on the progress for Xara's armor).

"Perhaps we can set some traps on the banks of the river and the road," she muses aloud. "It won't stop them, but it will at least delay them a bit as they try to avoid them."
Mar 22, 2016 4:59 pm
Once the council disperses, I sigh to my comrades and say, "Well, that's really not much of a plan at all is it? Are we going to run too, and leave everyone to their fate? It's not like the horde is going to move in and stay put."
Mar 22, 2016 5:03 pm
Pawetha smiles. "This horde will send out skirmishers, fast-moving units to lead the way. For lack of a better option, we could protect the citizens by acting as a rearguard. Move with the townsfolk along the Dawn Way, making sure nobody comes up behind."
Mar 22, 2016 5:59 pm
Pawetha is able to secure a bundle of arrows from the blacksmith, who insists she need not pay - given all that they've done what with warning the town about the coming hoard. He's one day into the armour and short sword, and insists that, if they are willing to wait, and as long as the hoard doesn't knock the place over before he's done, he's willing to stay behind and finish the work.
Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm
"Alright, and if we need to take out another dragon I'm all for that. Save the people, do the dirty work. I guess that's not too terrible." I continue my search for any additional healing potions I can find.
Last edited March 22, 2016 6:20 pm
Mar 22, 2016 6:18 pm
"I agree. Now that the evacuation is to be, ensuring their safe passage is paramount. Perhaps the guard has scouts swift enough to warn those before us of our coming and the horde."
Mar 22, 2016 6:31 pm
Xara finds herself on the west bank, where she had been headed the day before when Pawetha had distracted her on the ferry. She finds a small druid grove and the local druid there. He is a friendly man, and all to keen to help the heroes whose coming saved Drellen's Ferry. He provides her with 2 healing potions at no charge, and offers to brew up to three more for only their cost in components (that's 25gp each). It will, he laments, take a day for the brew to finish, however.
Mar 22, 2016 7:01 pm
"I'm going to try and outfit my gear a bit more potently against this coming horde. Is there an apothecary in town or some such person who might be able to provide some poisons?" Ghunril hopes to make his darts more effective against the lightly armored goblins and worgs by adding poisons to the dart that he carries.
Mar 22, 2016 7:08 pm
Ghunril finds himself at the very Druid Xara sought out for healing. The druid makes a point of noting that he normally only deals in the arts of preservation, but, that he, regrettably, has knowledge of some poisons. Given the circumstance, he is willing to set aside his morals to provide Ghunril with a few vials of poison... for an appropriate price (20 gp per vial, you can get up to 5 vials).
OOC:
Basic Poison (vial) - You can use the poison in this vial to coat one slashing or piercing weapon or up to three pieces of ammunition. Applying the poison takes an action. A creature hit by the poisoned weapon or ammunition must make a DC 10 constitution saving throw or take 1d4 poison damage. Once applied, the poison retains potency for 1 minute before drying.
Mar 22, 2016 8:40 pm
Zaris sighs in agreement with his companions and makes for the door. "I'm going to pick up my potions and then set up a little trap to slow a few of the advancing horde. It's won't be much, but maybe it will hit someone important."

The wizard is startled as he walks out the door by the apprentice. "I was just on my way to see you!" he exclaims. He thanks the boy kindly for the potions and slips them into his bag.

He makes his way across the bank to the reaches of the town from where the goblin raiding party had come earlier that morning. Quietly he pulls four arrows out and drives them into the ground, fanning out to cover a 45 degree region. He whispers a few words in elven and then mentions the word human. Satisfied, he covers them slightly with weeds and brush and returns to the Inn to sit and relax before what he realizes will be a hard journey.
OOC:
Casting of Cordon of Arrows. Any creature other than a human that comes within 30 feet of the arrows will trigger their launch.
Mar 23, 2016 4:36 pm
While the blacksmith is busy with the armor, Pawetha begins to pack up the blacksmith's possessions and help him get ready to evacuate, despite whatever protestations the dwarf makes.

Passerby will likely hear gruff snarling complaints... followed by the dwarf's reply.

"I don't care if you think these undergarments are private! I'm packing 'em so you can soil 'em later when you flee!"
Mar 23, 2016 6:23 pm
Bowing slightly to the druid "I understand your reservations about the poison, and I'm sure you can understand my lack of reservation in using them in combat." Ghunril gestures at his green scales. "I will take 2 vials and will assist you in any way I can so the time is not lost for you to evacuate with the rest of the village."
Last edited March 23, 2016 6:23 pm
Mar 24, 2016 6:16 pm
The day passes without event. Goblins do not attack, and Zaris has to recast his spell both before bed and when he wakes in the morning - finding the arrows unmoved during the intervening 8 hours. The druid spent the night awake, finishing the poisons and potions Ghunril and Xara, respectively, sought from him. The villagers continue their preparations to evacuate well into midday when a courier brings Pawetha news that the blacksmith has finished the short sword. It's a beautiful blade of finely crafted steel with dragon's fang forged into the blade. The hilt is decorated with a delicate inlay made of a powdered green stone.
OOC:
Green Dragon Fang Short Sword - same statistics as a short sword, but deals +1d6 poison damage on hit and its attacks count as magical for the purposes of overcoming damage resistance.
Mar 24, 2016 6:31 pm
Pawetha admires the blade, almost cooing at the steel. "Fine work, dwarf," she says. "What'd you do, rub your britches on it? We should name this sword (Dwarven word for Underwear)."
Mar 24, 2016 6:35 pm
The blacksmith smiles, "You're a real brusier, for a gnome anyway. I think I coulda' gotten used to your company. Pass me that hammer, and I'll get back to work."
Mar 24, 2016 6:37 pm
The gnome does as asked, and returns to her self-assigned job of packing up the dwarf's supplies.
Mar 25, 2016 12:07 pm
Kaiakas, Corban and Zaris, after enjoying their breakfast, take note that Rurik has not been seen in the last day... Fearing the worst, they inspect his room and find it empty, as if he had vanished into the air. The staff of healing he had is laying across the neatly made bed.
OOC:
Only Kaiakas can actually use it, I believe, as he is the only one who can cast Divine spells. I'll repost the staff information to the OOC thread, please copy it onto your character sheet! Also, I'll give it another 24hours for you to do anything specific with Day 6 before I push along to Day 7.
Mar 25, 2016 2:08 pm
Setting the staff, but no other sign of Rurik, I can only imagine... "His dark master must have whisked him away." I gingerly pick up the staff and whisper, "Be safe, my friend." I turn to the others, anger of my lost friend clear on my face. "Let us get these villagers to safety."
Mar 25, 2016 2:50 pm
I enjoy my stay in town, helping villagers pack up their things and otherwise relaxing until we are needed.
Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm
After paying and stowing my poison vials I wander around town helping those who aren't put off by my green scales and are in need of heaving lifting.
Mar 25, 2016 10:25 pm
"You were much appreciated Rurik," the wizard laments. Zaris walks with Kaiakas to help with what ever he can in getting the villagers out of this place before the horde attacks. "I have a sickening feeling that this is not going to go well for us," he whispers to the dragonborn.
Mar 26, 2016 10:50 am
Another eventless day passes. Most of the town is well packed and prepared to leave, the plan is to depart by the following evening, with a small group of guards remaining behind to leave the following day and keep up the flank of the travellers.

In the morning, as you get up and make your way downstairs for your complimentary morning ale and breakfast, a black-haired woman, her face streaked with the dust of the road, trudges into the common room. She wears a soldier's tunic of blue and white over a shirt of mail, with the stylizing image of a golden lion over her heart. She signals the barkeep, "Ale," she rasps. "And send for your speaker. I've got ill news."
Mar 26, 2016 3:34 pm
What have we here?" Zaris whispers to himself as he walks back into the common room. His eyes size up the black-haired woman, looking worse for wear, downing ale as if she hadn't drank in a week.
Mar 26, 2016 5:47 pm
A loud, drawn-out yawn escapes Pawetha's lips from where she stands at the base of the stairs. Scratching her rump, she pulls her stooped frame over to the same location next to the black-haired woman. With her own streaks of dust and sweat on her face, Pawetha plants a hand on the nearest furniture for support. In a hoarse voice, she signals the barkeep. "Ale," Pawetha rasps. "And send me some breakfast. I've got an ill headache."

The ranger finally turns bleary eyes to the soldier, and after giving her a once-over, nods her head in camaraderie.
Mar 27, 2016 1:59 am
"And what news do you have, may I ask?" Zaris asks.
Mar 27, 2016 6:07 am
"It seems like no one is bringing good news these days. Hopefully you don't come to warn us of a second impending horde that outnumbers us 500 to 1." I pull a chair up at one of the tables and signal Zaris to join me. "Barkeep, please bring Zaris and I our usual breakfast and ales."
Mar 27, 2016 12:05 pm
The woman sighs, "A hoard. I do, indeed, bear bad news. I ride in the service of the Lord of Brindol. I was part of a patrol sweeping up the Rhest Trail. Five days ago, we ran into a roadblock- hobgoblins and ogres, waylaying any travellers into or out of the vale from the north. They were too strong for us, and we had to retreat. My captain sent several of us riding off to warn folks across the vale to avoid the old Rhest Trail. So here I am." She slams back a second ale, then says, "I'd love a plate of that breakfast too."
Mar 27, 2016 4:40 pm
Pawetha stretches her back. Moving a smithy is a lot harder than it would seem. "Avoid the Dawn Way, while you're at it," she yawns. "At least in the next few days."

After popping her spine, the ranger says a bit more plainly, "This horde seeks to flatten the vale with an army and a battle plan. I figure they've taken precaution for the Rhest Trail. What lies that way?"
Mar 27, 2016 5:02 pm
"There's the old ruins of Rhest, and far to the north of Elsir Vale, via the Rhest trail, one can reach the northern kingdoms. Not as well travelled by merchants as the dawn way, it's still an important trade route that connects the Vale to the wider world. There's also the Tiri Kitor, woodelves that live in the mashland along the trail." As breakfast is served she curses, and starts quickly shoving it into her face, "A hoard. I can't stay then, this information needs to reach Brindol. I guess I'll need a fresh horse.." she mutters between mouthfuls of meat and bread.
Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm
"Good and good," says Pawetha with a nod. "This town is evacuating towards Terrelton, but we've advised them to continue all the way to Brindol. This horde has a name; the Red Hand. Hobgoblins, bugbears, worgs, and dragons; ask the dragonborn for numbers. If you're bringing word of this to Brindol, that's one more soldier that can guard the citizens as they travel."

As her breakfast is served, Pawetha digs into her meal with her hands. "By the way," she says with her mouth full, "what's your name?"
Mar 27, 2016 6:49 pm
Zaris sits down next to Pawetha and sips a cough of strong, black coffee. "This horde is murderous, plain and simple." he says in between sips. "Even with an evacuation, I'll admit I'm not certain of anyone's safety. Do you have any way to gather some troops to escort the people to the next town?"
Mar 27, 2016 10:48 pm
The woman nods at Pawetha, "Teyani Sura. Lion of Brindol." she stuffs another chunk of bread and meat into her mouth, now eating with great haste, as Zaris sits down. She shakes her head as she swallows, "I'm afraid I travelled alone. I was sent to warn bring news here about the blockade on the Rhest Trail. I plan to make haste back to Brindol and warn them of the impending hoard. Maybe then we can spare a few soldiers to evacuate the surrounding towns, but I would hope by then most of the people from here will be safe behind the city walls."
Mar 28, 2016 12:30 am
"Is Brindol the only option for security along the way?" he asks.
Mar 28, 2016 12:53 am
"Brindol is the only city in the vale with both walls, and a a large enough force of trained soldiers to defend them", her tone betrays a bit of pride in her city, although you also sense that she is not boasting or exaggerating.
Mar 28, 2016 1:31 am
Zaris sighs deeply. "Then Brindol is the only hope these people have."
Mar 28, 2016 4:53 am
"You remember the map," Pawetha says in a tone that expects Zaris to have known this. "Brindol's their final target."
Mar 28, 2016 10:59 am
I continue eating breakfast. Whatever needs to happen, I'll be ready!
Mar 28, 2016 11:58 am
"I remember the map all too well Pawetha!" Zaris blurts out, voice raised. "But if we don't get these people behind some walls they will be cut down! It's the lesser of two evils!" The wizard takes a deep breath to calm himself and then slumps back in his chair. "This is a disgusting situation no matter what we try." He frowns and takes another sip of coffee staring out into space.
Mar 28, 2016 12:44 pm
Teyani stops eating, "A map? What does it say? Is that how you know about this hoard....?"
Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm
"I have seen the horde first hand and it is nothing short of terrifying how someone has managed to bring such a force together. They number in the thousands with siege weapons, giants and at least 1 dragon remaining in their service. Lets hope the walls of Brindol are tall and stout enough to protect these people and everyone else in the vale." I continue eating, ready to answer any questions that Teyani might have.
Last edited March 28, 2016 3:37 pm
Mar 28, 2016 3:56 pm
My mouth is full of food and I'm trying to listen in but it's all bad. These guys need to cheer up! I turn to the new guy. "They have got to have a leader. Someone or something organizing them. We killed the green dragon, so it wasn't him. I say we go after the other dragon next chance we get and then see who's the next biggest target after him. One by one."
Mar 28, 2016 4:00 pm
Pawetha momentarily forgets that Teyani asked about the map. "It's what I was trying to tell them," she spits, referring to the town council. "Make way for Brindol without stopping. You'd think the mere fact of having walls would make them move faster."
Mar 28, 2016 4:07 pm
Teyani presses again, "The map, you said something about a map. Listen, fleeing to Brindol is all well and good but the walls will only stand so long as we can defend them. If they've dragons, giants and a plan of attack then we're in trouble. The more information I can return with, the better prepared we'll be to fight off this Red Hand hoard. Do you have the map? Can I see it?"
Mar 28, 2016 4:07 pm
"Councils are all talk and politics. If it were up to me I'd round everyone up in the night and we'd be on our way with what's on our backs and what can fit in a sack. But these people haven't had it all that rough. They don't know the danger like we do, and we don't want 'em to panic either. Panic makes people do stupid things."
Mar 28, 2016 4:10 pm
Pawetha pulls out the Red Hand battle plan and unfurls it on the table, going so far as to move her own plate of breakfast onto her lap to make room.
Mar 28, 2016 4:11 pm
Teyani's frown deepens, "Can I take this... or at least, make a copy?"
Mar 28, 2016 4:12 pm
"I've got it memorized," says Pawetha. "You read goblin, yes?"
Mar 28, 2016 4:15 pm
Teyani nods, "Tribes in the Wyrmsmoke harass merchants from time to time, so it's useful to know a bit of goblin." She rolls up the map and stuffs it in her pack, "Could you let the speaker know about the Rhest trail, that was why I had come here in the first place. I need to get this, and news of the hoard, back to Brindol as quickly as possible." She stands tall and puts a closed fist over her heart, then bows her head slightly and quickly, "Thank you for your diligence and service. May we meet again."
Mar 28, 2016 4:38 pm
"Before you go," says Pawetha, "could you show me on that map where these wood elves are? They might become allies if we were to warn them of the impending attack. Assuming they don't already know."
Mar 28, 2016 4:43 pm
"Of course. They live in the marshland along the Rhest Trail and the ruins of Rhest. The Blackfens." She frowns as she looks at the map, "This is a poor map of the region. But this marker here at the top, where they have written 'Saarvith' looks to be the ruins of Rhest, an ancient city that was flooded by the marsh. That's an odd name to give it. The blackfens are along the trail and around the marsh, they have labelled them as part of the Witchwood, but that's geographically inaccurate."
Mar 28, 2016 4:56 pm
"I have an uneasy feeling about all of this," Zaris says putting his coffee cup down for good and standing up. "Xara, you are right. We need to lead these people out of here, and now. And in a way that doesn't incite the panic that you speak of." He walks over to Xara and lays a hand on her shoulder. "What should we do to get them out of here now? I don't think we should wait any longer."
Mar 28, 2016 4:58 pm
Bit of a plan are starting to formulate in the gnome's mind. "They're already packing as we speak," she says to Zaris, before turning back to Teyani. "These northern kingdoms; does Brindol have a good relationship with them? Would they bring an army if the blockade were cleared?"
Last edited March 28, 2016 4:59 pm
Mar 28, 2016 5:03 pm
Teyani shrugs, "We trade. An economic relationship is a pretty solid one, but they're far. If the hoard can move as fast as they've marked on this map, such an army might arrive to find a valley of cinders and ash, occupied by the Red Hand hoard. Then again, unless the blockade is cleared we couldn't send emissaries either way."
Mar 28, 2016 5:09 pm
"If we cross Lake Rhestin from the elves and travel into the Crystal Mist Mountains my clan would send its warriors to defend the vale, we are not the largest clan but we could supply several hundred Dragonborn to the fight." Ghunril gestures vaguely at the upper left corner of the map. "That doesn't help us with the immediate problem of getting these townsfolk out of immediate danger though."
Mar 28, 2016 5:44 pm
Teyani nods, "Haven't seen the guards this town as to offer, but something tells me you three will be more useful to this war effort seeking alliance from the elves, smashing blockades and otherwise helping stall the hoard.. instead of as three more amongst many guards for a large group of travellers."
Mar 28, 2016 5:51 pm
Pawetha sits back in her chair, effectively hiding her face from view. "Saarvith," intones the fox-head hood, closed eyeless sockets deep in thought. "I bet that's another Red Hand leader. It makes sense; the blockade in the north must be supplied from somewhere, and just like Koth's Base in the forest nearby, there'd be someone in charge of it. And it's written in the same goblin script as other notes, so perhaps it's documenting who's in charge of where."

The fox-head looks over at Xara. "If you want a high-ranked kill under your belt, I'll wager it's at Rhest."
Mar 28, 2016 6:21 pm
I finish Zaris' neglected cup of coffee and stand up from the table excitedly. "I like the sound of that! When do we leave?"
Mar 28, 2016 6:28 pm
"After your armor is done, at least," says Pawetha. "I'd like to make sure the town actually starts to leave, too."
Mar 29, 2016 3:41 pm
The Lion of Brindol bows and salutes you once more before leaving the inn with urgency.

After breakfast Pawetha returns to the blacksmith, as she has every day so far, to check on the armor and help him continue packing. Walking through the village she notes that all of the citizen's are hurriedly packing their families into carts and onto horses - looks like today is the day they leave. The town guard are also gathering, guiding people across on the ferry and anxiously waiting for the moment of departure.

She finds the blacksmith exhausted, worn, but smiling broadly, "I've done it! Decided it best to leave myself with the rest of the town today, so I worked through the night to finish this before I left me' forge behind. Afraid I didn't get to the daggers, got a start on them but you'll have to get another blacksmith to finish them. The modifications to the armor though, they're done." He gestures towards Xara's leather armor, which now looks a bit different. Green scales have been set into the weak points, the sides, shoulders, and the chest, providing extra protection for vital and hard to reinforce spots. The whole thing is now covered in bone-studs made of polished bone.
OOC:
Studded Leather with an additional +1 bonus to AC. Additionally, while worn, the wearer has resistance to poison damage, and gains advantage on all saving throws against poison.

You also have 2 half-finished dragonbone daggers. They're useless as daggers, but a good smith could finish them with a day's work.
Mar 29, 2016 4:08 pm
Paws squints her eyes at the armor, and tilts her head as she appraises it. Then, after a casual glance over her shoulder to make sure no one is looking, holds out her fist to the blacksmith in a subdued gesture of appreciation.

"This is bloody brilliant," she growls, grinning ear to ear. "You make your way straight to Brindol and set up shop. I'm looking for you when I get there."
Mar 29, 2016 7:58 pm
OOC:
Fast-fowarding now to the end of Day 7. The rest of the day is spent helping the last of the towns people prepare to evacuate, and seeing the villagers and soldiers onto the road...
As the sun sets over Drellin's Ferry you can't help but feel like means something important. The town is empty. Houses stare vacantly out at silent roads. The sun is beginning to slip below the scar on the horizon that is the Wyrmsmoke mountains. Speaker Wiston takes a deep breath and wipes tears from his eyes with the back of his hand. "It seems we're about out of time," he says. "We'd best be going now if we want to keep ahead of the worg riders."

Captain Soranna nods to you, "You've already done us good, heroes. Without your warning, we'd have all be asleep in our beds when the hoard arrived on our stoops. You've saved many lives already. For that you have my thanks. But I am afraid your work may not be done yet. There's nothing to stop the Red Hand before they reach the walls of Brindol."

"If there's anything more you can do to slow down the Red Hand, we'd be mighty grateful,"
the Speaker says, "I'll personally make sure Lord Jarmaath, the lord of Brindol, knows what you've done for us."
Mar 29, 2016 8:13 pm
"I'm inclined to head north and see about those wood elves," says Pawetha, almost too eager to set foot in the wooded terrain and meet her distant kin. "If we cut straight through The Witchwood, we're bound to come across them on our way to Rhest. They'd be valuable allies if we can convince them to help."
Mar 29, 2016 8:18 pm
Wiston nods, "There's a few routes to Rhest. Normally I'd recommend the Old North Road, but, well, with the hoard, might not be the best route anymore. You could take a boat up the Rhestwash to Lake Rhestin. Or, head east towards Brindol, then, at Talor or Brindol, cross the Elsir River and head north along the Rhest Trail. If's up to you. If you head east, I can give you several horses. If you head north from here, feel free to take any of the boats moored in town..." He sighs deeply and sadly, "We won't need them."
Mar 29, 2016 8:27 pm
Pawetha links her fingers and stretches them out. "Nothing for nothing," she says, rocking on her heels, "but I feel more comfortable with the trees above me. Give me an hour in those woods and I'll have this group skipping through the brush."
OOC:
For the party, forest is my favored terrain so we won't get lost or slowed, and we'll find sustenance
Mar 29, 2016 9:08 pm
"I also agree the trees would be best to hide us from the horde if they have patrols along the river. Getting shot at in a boat doesn't sound like my idea of a good time." Ghunril gestures at the boats moored along the river. "Should we scuttle these so the red hand has no use of them?"
Mar 30, 2016 11:48 am
Soranna replies flatly, "The less the have the better for us. If you won't use them, then destroy them. We've left some traps in the abandoned homes, and have made sure no supplies that are in useful order remain in the town. It's why it took us a few days to prepare."
Mar 30, 2016 4:12 pm
Zaris stands straighter then he has in days. "Yes, lets enlist the help of my fellow elves. I'm sure they are already aware of the Red Hand advancing through their woods."
Mar 30, 2016 5:15 pm
"Hey now, this armor ain't half bad! I wonder what we could make with that red dragon's scales. Red's a bit more my color. Anyway, what are we doing?" I pocket the daggers and immediately forget about them.
OOC:
How much was the armor and weapons again? I can't remember if I deducted the gold yet.
Last edited March 30, 2016 5:15 pm
Mar 30, 2016 5:48 pm
OOC:
Should have been 200 gold total, 100 upfront and 100 on delivery.
Mar 30, 2016 7:06 pm
"I can start sinking the boats," offers Pawetha. "Maybe we can leave a gift in one should they think of salvaging it."

As the town takes its leave, Pawetha gives Sorana, Winston, and the soldiers a once-over. Her voice turns serious, and she stares at Sorana and Winston specifically. "You should really head all the way to Brindol. Try to convince Terrelton, Nimon Gap, and Talar of the same need. The battle plans of the Red Hand leave no room for mercy; the way they've set up their blockades and positioned their forces should already say as much. They want to destroy the Vale."
Mar 30, 2016 8:27 pm
Corban takes a last check of his pack and gear and straps it on, eager to get back on the road.
"I'll help with the boats, nothing like a good scuttling to start a new adventure... "
Corban flexes his gauntleted hands and moves to start ripping the boats apart.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.