Chapter 1, Day 5: The Council at Drellin's Ferry

load previous
Mar 19, 2016 3:32 pm
"Attacking their encampment might be suicidal, unless we have an army around somewhere that I don't know about?"
Mar 19, 2016 4:01 pm
"It would catch them by surprise, at least. They've been planning something for who knows how long now and we're just now trying to play catch-up. The longer we wait, the further we fall behind. Unless you have a better plan that I don't know about?"
Mar 19, 2016 4:27 pm
"We retreat," answers Pawetha. "If the dragonborn is correct, we're dealing with thousands, if not hundred-thousand, hobgoblins and their allies. We barely survived the bridge against far lesser numbers. Yes, we defeated that green dragon, but the dragonborn's report is that there's also a red in their ranks."

The ranger secures her weapons and proceeds to search the slain hobgoblin. Perhaps the monster had something useful on his person.
Mar 20, 2016 12:59 pm
Pawetha finds a half dozen gold coins, and nothing else of note. Given his attire, Pawetha expects that, like the other worg riders they've fought, he was a soldier and not a leader.

Sorana starts towards the ferry, "It looks like the fight here is finished. I will see you in a few hours at the council meeting. Come to Wiston's home at daybreak."
Mar 20, 2016 5:48 pm
Pawetha rises and pockets the gold. She nods to the captain's words, and says to the group, "I'm going back to the inn for something to eat."
Mar 21, 2016 12:32 am
"Pawetha, allow me to accompany you. We should discuss the most effective way to evacuate this town." Zaris says with concern.
Mar 21, 2016 2:09 am
"If they'll listen," says Pawetha. "We've got all the signs, plus the dragonborn had eyes on the army itself. How much will they believe?"
Mar 21, 2016 2:26 am
"What a lovely way to spend the day, huh?" Another wasted day, meanwhile there's probably an army heading towards town. Fantastic.
Mar 21, 2016 12:40 pm
Zaris frowned as he replied to Pawetha. "If the actions of those creatures this morning doesn't convince them, then I don't know what will."
Last edited March 21, 2016 12:46 pm
Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm
Hours later... the sky is filled with hopeful orange light as the sun breaks the horizon and begins its slow, steady, ascent. You gather outside the inn and walk down the main street toward Wiston's home. As is the norm in a farming community, with the break of day the village begins to stir with activity. Fear, worry and hesitation hang in the air, visible in the townsfolk's movements as they hurry from home to market or outlying farmstead. It seems no one slept soundly this last night.

Arriving as Wiston's home you find two guards stationed outside. They see you, bow their heads in polite deference and show you inside. There you are, as you were the first time you visited, seated at the table in the dining room. The guard who showed you in asks, "Can I get you a drink, or a bite of breakfast? The councillors will arrive shortly, I am sure."
Mar 21, 2016 12:55 pm
"I'll take whatever you've got, my good man. A delicious meal is always welcome. A fine drink even more so."
Mar 21, 2016 1:51 pm
Corban yawns and rubs his eyes approaching the house. He looks at the guard, "aye, I could eat a horse my good man."
Mar 21, 2016 2:20 pm
"A plate of eggs please," Zaris replies as he finds a place to sit. He pulls out his notebook and begins writing.
Mar 21, 2016 3:08 pm
"Whatever is available will suite me." Ghunril give a short bow to the guard.
Mar 21, 2016 3:42 pm
"Meat and water," says Pawetha as stares at her offered chair, "with a side of bread or cheese." She reluctantly sits, forehead peeking out over the tabletop.
Mar 21, 2016 7:43 pm
The guard nods, and a few minutes later a woman - probably Wiston's wife - puts a plate of eggs, meat and fruit on the table for each of you and serves a hearty glass of clear, crisp ale. When you finish the guard returns and leads you into the sitting room. There you are introduced to Kellin, the halfling who owns the Old Bridge Inn - where you have been staying the past couple days. Also in attendance is Captain Sorana, Delora Zann, the woman who owns the livery stable; and a tall, sour-faced man named Iormel, who is evidently a person of some property. Along with Norro Wiston, these people are the Town Council.

"Well, you all know why we are here." Wiston says without preamble, "In a matter of days we're going to have an army of goblins, hobgoblins, and monsters on our doorsteps. What do we do? Fight? Try to talk to them? Abandon the town and flee? Or do nothing and hope to Pelor they don't come this way?" The councillors turn their gaze your way, waiting to see what you recommend before voicing their positions...
Mar 21, 2016 8:03 pm
Pawetha steps forward, and brings out the hobgoblin map. "Your best plan is to evacuate to Brindol. Bring word of this horde so they can muster an army to match. Warn the other villages along the Dawn Way."
Mar 21, 2016 8:06 pm
Iromel speaks up, "We can't let them take everything we've worked so hard for, just because we lack the nerve to stand up to this hobgoblin rabble!"
Mar 21, 2016 8:15 pm
Pawetha's cheeks flush, and she dismisses the tall man with a lazy gesture. "Fine, this idiot can stay here while worg riders, bugbears, manticores, and dragons burn down everything in sight. The smart folk should be gathering what they can carry and making way for Brindol."
Mar 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Zaris stands and puts a gentle hand on Pawetha's shoulder. "Iromel, we can appreciate the hard work and sacrifice that everyone here has put in here, and we are strangers in your town, but the threat we are you.....we are facing here is beyond serious. We nearly lost our lives against a green dragon." The wizard sighs and takes a breath before continuing. "We certainly not here to tell you what to do. But we do feel that this is the best option."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.