Chapter 1, Day 5: The Council at Drellin's Ferry

load previous
Mar 21, 2016 8:53 pm
Kellin speaks up, "A dragon? Dragon's just want treasure don't they... Let's just give them treasure this time, but see to our defenses. If they come back next year and ask for more, we'll be ready to fight then!"

Wiston pipes up at this point, "Maybe.. I don't see what it could hurt to at least ask them what they want.. but maybe we should tell folks to get their children and elderly in wagons heading east, while we still can."
Mar 21, 2016 9:02 pm
Despite Zaris's hand, Pawetha spits. "Maybe if the dragons were leading this army, but they're working for the Red Hand. That should tell you about the power behind this horde. And these notes... what, none of you read Goblin? These notes seek to kill and burn everything in their path, all the way to Brindol. You want to speak to them, that's your business. Last night's scouting attack ought to be a clue as to their intentions."
Mar 22, 2016 1:26 am
"There is nothing that I have encountered during this event that indicates that the Red Hand is looking to negotiate," Zaris adds firmly. "If you try to negotiate I fear you will find yourselves slaughtered." Zaris frowns and sits back down in his chair.
Mar 22, 2016 1:38 am
"I saw this army and there was nothing about it that looked anything other than hostile. I have never seen such a force of bloodthirsty races gathered in one place. I fear along with Zaris, that any effort to negotiate would be met with the goblins cook pots.

I can give you more details on the enemy force if that would be helpful if swaying you to evacuate."
Mar 22, 2016 2:10 am
Pawetha turns to the dragonborn. "Lay it on us anyway, Ghunril. We should know exactly what we're up against."
Mar 22, 2016 12:10 pm
Zaris puts his notebook away and turns towards the dragonborn, eyes fixed intently.
Mar 22, 2016 12:16 pm
I just watch everyone intently and see if I can glean anything from them.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Mar 22, 2016 1:24 pm
Delora, who has been silent up until now, finally speaks "I am in agreement with our guests. I've seen towns put to the sword before. Death or slavery await us if we remain here. We must gather the things we can and flee east, the sooner the better!"

Xara, looking around, gets the sense that of all those here Wiston was, when they arrived, the most indecisive... but now, given the arguments that have been made and the firm approval of Delora, his expression has become fixed, "It is decided. We evacuate the town. Iormel and Kellin, spread the word, while Delora, Sorana and I take record of the hoard's size and composition." With the decision made firmly, Iromel and Kellin bow their heads respectfully and grudgingly get to their feet, leaving to execute the town speaker's decision.

Wiston looks back to Ghunril, "Tell us, when you saw the hoard what did you see?"
Mar 22, 2016 1:45 pm
I sit there, silently taking it all in. Evacuation is the only acceptable answer. These people must be protected, and this Red Hand must be stopped. Meeting each other's gaze, I nod to my companions, supporting their points and ready to set into motion the only acceptable decision.
Mar 22, 2016 4:15 pm
"While I was on a long patrol for my clan, my route was suppose to take me over the Dawn Way but as I crested the hills I was greeted with the site of the army of the Red Hand. I didn't know the name at the time but Pawetha has filled that detail in.

Their encampment is large and mostly unorganized with hundreds of crude tents dot the valley floor, interspersed with siege engines, groups of wagons, and pens for draft beasts. There were bands of goblin worg riders patrol the camp's outskirts, battalions of fierce hobgoblins engage in mock battles. I also saw multiple giants dispersed throughout the camp and a red dragon circling overhead.

The advance parties we saw this morning aren't even a fraction of the force that is advancing on the river. That was all that I was able to obtain before I was forced to flee here."

Ghunril give a short bow to end his speech and folds his hands as he retakes his seat.
Mar 22, 2016 4:22 pm
"Giants," sighs Pawetha. "That's new."

She returns her attention to the map as she speaks to Wiston. "We ought to warn these other settlements. I assume you're taking everyone to Brindol along the Dawn Way? Is there someone you can send to Dauth and Prosser?"
Mar 22, 2016 4:36 pm
Sorana stands, sighing heavily, "This is terrible news indeed. I'm glad you convinced the others to flee. I can see if we can spare a few militia to warn those in Dauth and Prosser." She leans over the map and points at the rally point of the hoard, then traces the path it will have to follow to reach Drellen's Ferry given that the Skull Gorge Bridge has been destroyed, "Given the size of the hoard, it will take them at least 6 days, probably closer to 8 or 9. That will give us a good head start, thank you. I need to get preparations in order, and ensure that we are prepared for any attacks such as last nights in the meantime." She bows her head politely before leaving you alone with the speaker.

Wiston's brow is furrowed, he is clearly worried about these developments, "I am not sure there is more you can do for us. I'm afraid I'll I have for you is our thanks. With luck the whole village will be on the road to Brindol within a couple days. I do hope the road to Brindol is safe."
OOC:
If you don't have anything more specific you would like from Wiston you are welcome to take on any other business you might have - this is the second day in the village so the blacksmith isn't yet done any of the ordered equipment. Zaris' supply order, however, will be delivered to the wizard by the apprentice he spoke to as you leave the speaker's house
Mar 22, 2016 4:55 pm
Pawetha will need to replenish some of her arrows, and will visit the blacksmith to see if the old dwarf has any in stock (and also to check on the progress for Xara's armor).

"Perhaps we can set some traps on the banks of the river and the road," she muses aloud. "It won't stop them, but it will at least delay them a bit as they try to avoid them."
Mar 22, 2016 4:59 pm
Once the council disperses, I sigh to my comrades and say, "Well, that's really not much of a plan at all is it? Are we going to run too, and leave everyone to their fate? It's not like the horde is going to move in and stay put."
Mar 22, 2016 5:03 pm
Pawetha smiles. "This horde will send out skirmishers, fast-moving units to lead the way. For lack of a better option, we could protect the citizens by acting as a rearguard. Move with the townsfolk along the Dawn Way, making sure nobody comes up behind."
Mar 22, 2016 5:59 pm
Pawetha is able to secure a bundle of arrows from the blacksmith, who insists she need not pay - given all that they've done what with warning the town about the coming hoard. He's one day into the armour and short sword, and insists that, if they are willing to wait, and as long as the hoard doesn't knock the place over before he's done, he's willing to stay behind and finish the work.
Mar 22, 2016 6:08 pm
"Alright, and if we need to take out another dragon I'm all for that. Save the people, do the dirty work. I guess that's not too terrible." I continue my search for any additional healing potions I can find.
Last edited March 22, 2016 6:20 pm
Mar 22, 2016 6:18 pm
"I agree. Now that the evacuation is to be, ensuring their safe passage is paramount. Perhaps the guard has scouts swift enough to warn those before us of our coming and the horde."
Mar 22, 2016 6:31 pm
Xara finds herself on the west bank, where she had been headed the day before when Pawetha had distracted her on the ferry. She finds a small druid grove and the local druid there. He is a friendly man, and all to keen to help the heroes whose coming saved Drellen's Ferry. He provides her with 2 healing potions at no charge, and offers to brew up to three more for only their cost in components (that's 25gp each). It will, he laments, take a day for the brew to finish, however.
Mar 22, 2016 7:01 pm
"I'm going to try and outfit my gear a bit more potently against this coming horde. Is there an apothecary in town or some such person who might be able to provide some poisons?" Ghunril hopes to make his darts more effective against the lightly armored goblins and worgs by adding poisons to the dart that he carries.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.