Chapter 1: Burnt Offerings

load previous
Apr 19, 2016 9:30 pm
Xandak scribbles for a moment on his chalk board, then slides it to Hemlock. It says:

Any idea where they came from or what they wanted?
Last edited April 19, 2016 9:30 pm
Apr 20, 2016 12:25 am
Daire will find himself some food and drink, ignoring Malik's morning routine as it's become commonplace, after the Sheriff thanks them "t'were only goblins, hopefully your losses weren't too great" Daire gestures to Malik and himself "we would be happy to assist if you need help getting the city back under control, and I would be particularly happy if that included being able to chase down our unwelcome guests"
Apr 20, 2016 12:54 pm
Hemlock's face turns grim, "Well... the goblins I questioned last night weren't very forthcoming with information, but I was able to determine that their leader had a task he wanted to complete in the cemetery. They said that their leader was one of us 'longshanks', the goblin term for humans."

He gives you a moment to absorb the information before continuing, "That leads me to the other reason I came. I have a job I'd like you to help with. Father Zantus found that Ezakien Tobyn's vault is open and wants me to check it out, but I want backup in case there are some surprises that were left behind for us."

You all recognize Tobyn's name from the festival the day before. He was Zantus' predecessor who perished when the old church burned down.
Apr 21, 2016 7:11 pm
Xandak's brow furrows when Hemlock mentions the "longshanks". A human leading the goblins? Maybe there is more to this after all...

Hearing the Sherrif's proposition, Xandak turns to his companions and gives a small nod.
Apr 21, 2016 7:32 pm
Seeing Xandak's approval Gongar gestures in acceptance of the request. "Of course we will help you Belor, we wouldn't want you to go tripping in the dark all by your lonesome. Did you manage to squeeze out of them whether they accomplished their 'task' in the cemetery?" Gongar makes a fist as if he is squeezing the life out of a goblin as he asks the question.
Apr 21, 2016 8:42 pm
At the mention of a human leading the goblins Urthask's eyes narrow and he glances at Gongar. Perhaps there may be something to what Daviren Hosk had said after all.

An open vault...might it be some manner of crypt or tomb? Would that be the sort of place for Arktos? Urthask opens his mouth to ask, but politely holds his tongue, waiting for Belor to answer Gongar's question.
Apr 21, 2016 9:02 pm
"The little bastards have been less than cooperative. We still have a couple, and we're trying for more but it doesn't look good."
Apr 21, 2016 9:06 pm
"What can you tell us about this vault? What can we expect to find? Do you think my mount can squeeze in?"
Apr 21, 2016 9:18 pm
"It's in the crypts where they keep all of the religious leaders. Each one has their own vault where their body is put to rest. I would not recommend taking your bear in there, probably wouldn't be able to get around very well."
Apr 21, 2016 9:24 pm
"Urthask, it will make me feel better about going into an unknown situation with the knowledge that nothing untoward is going to follow us in with Arktos watching the door of the crypt."
Last edited April 21, 2016 9:24 pm
Apr 22, 2016 1:25 am
Daire is visibly willing to go, looks to Malik and states "any party adventuring into a tomb could use an able healer"
Apr 22, 2016 4:24 am
"I'm not about to abandon you Daire. And it may help the village if we can figure this out."
Apr 22, 2016 12:10 pm
"Are the crypts here in town, or will we need to travel?"
Apr 22, 2016 1:08 pm
"It's just a short walk, back behind the new cathedral," Hemlock says.

Hemlock gives you some time to grab your equipment before heading out to the crypts. "It was good fortune for us that you were here yesterday. What brought you all out to our little village?" he asks as you take your walk.
Apr 22, 2016 3:57 pm
Xandak, not being able to involve himself much in conversation, follows up at the rear of the group and takes in the state of the town as they talk. He does his best to always be aware of his surroundings, especially now since there had been this attack. He didn't want to be taken by surprise again.

Gongar would know Xandak lived here in sandpoint for some time and was returning for the opening of the new cathedral, if you wanted to speak for him.

Also... I have a feeling Xandak will be doing a lot of perception checks hahaha

Rolls

Perception (how does the town look? Is there anything suspicious nearby?) - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Apr 22, 2016 4:05 pm
Everything appears peaceful now. Some of the townsfolk recognize your group from the previous night and wave in a friendly manner as you pass. You see a few people weeping, obviously there were some casualties last night, but even they nod to you in respect for what you did for the town the night before.
Apr 25, 2016 1:16 am
Seeing that nothing seems to be out of place, at least for the time being, Xandak relaxes a bit and simply follows the group to their destination.
Apr 26, 2016 10:58 pm
You make it to the crypt a short while later, where indeed the door is ajar, and there are numerous sets of tracks by the outside door. "Be careful, who knows what kinds of surprises may have been left behind by our goblin friends."
Apr 26, 2016 11:21 pm
Urthask dismounts and murmurs soothing words and a firm command to his mount to guard this entrance. He then fishes a small packet out of his belt pouch. He unfolds the packet, revealing a mixture of dried herbs and powders which might have been mistaken for chewing tobacco if it weren't an angry shade of red, and smelled far more potent. This is gutka, a strong stimulant traditionally used by his tribe. The warrior takes a pinch of this and rubs it into his gums before putting the packet away. His pointed teeth, it can be seen, are stained permanently red by the concoction, making it perpetually seem as if he has blood in his mouth. The effect is doubly stark seen, as it is now, against the backdrop of the enormous ghost bear's snowy white flank.
Last edited April 26, 2016 11:22 pm
Apr 27, 2016 1:16 am
Daire will investigate the outside door, and surrounding area, to see what information might be able to be gleaned as the rest of the party prepares, sharing this information freely. Once the party is prepared to enter Daire will offer "Malik and I will take the rear, the quiet one appears to pay attention to what's around him, he might be a fitting lead." He states with a smile, knowing that Xandak won't protest the request.
OOC:
making multiple skill checks due to ambiguity over which ones would be preferred. Knowledge in case a specific type of creature might be noticed.

Rolls

Survival - (1d20+8)

(14) + 8 = 22

perception - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

knowledge(dungeoneering) - (1d20+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

load next

Thread locked