Mysts of Talos

Mar 18, 2016 12:52 am
I figured for fun, I'd throw out there a new land, one waiting to be populated. I have cities(like 80 of them) marked, but not named or populated. I am charging you, yes you, behind the grape shed, stand still! You can name the cities, name the races, you can say what color shirt the inn keeper is wearing. You can make your city and leave a legacy for yourself. I will try and update the map as soon as I can and it will go up, with your backstory and credit on my web page under a creative commons license for all to use. I have 2 maps, one numbered and one not for easy viewing. Click on the link for the full size view.

A little backstory on the land:
The Mysts are located in the world of Talos a land of magic and might, of elves, gnomes, orcs, ogres, humans, drow and many other races. The lines of good and evil are blurred in Talos. Over a thousand years ago, the gods disappeared from the world, leaving behind the Crimson Crusade as the only form of order in the land. They ruled neutral in all things and would never choose sides to sway the tides of a battle. It is rumored that they followed the god Justarius once and he was the god of neutrality. Of all the orders and followers of the gods, the Crimson Crusade are the only that seemed to retain any of their holy or deity given powers. Clerics have disappeared from the lands, there are still druid healers, but the healing powers of the clerics and paladins has vanished with their gods. To fill the void left behind by the clerics a new class of healers emerged, the arcane clerics, they heal, but at a cost. There have been countless wars and unrest in the world and the races that once opened their lands for travel have closed borders. Many of the elves and dwarves have become secluded and prefer little contact with the outside worlds. Magic is still strong, maybe even stronger than it once was because the gods aren't here to help control it. There was once towers dedicated to the study of magic and arcane, but they were destroyed and pillaged by the Crimson Crusade long ago. The Crimson crusade does try to collect anything that might be deemed too powerful as it might sway the balance. They have secret locations that are dedicated to containing any such items.

The Mysts though are the play area of the Father God, the creator of all gods and things in Talos. He was a chaotic god, sometimes good, sometimes evil, but free to do as he pleased, until the betrayal. The gods of neutrality decided he and all the other non neutral gods needed to be stopped. The Father god was tricked and laid into a slumber of sorts and his lands, the Mysts were lost to Talos. He still lives, and is somewhere in the Mysts, but he takes form and dream walks from time to time.

His play area is now yours. Help me build the Mysts, and remember it is a land of chaotic energies. You can add anything you want, any race, type or animal is on the table. You can home-brew races too, the myst is the limit. I will add all of your backstory and names when completed.

Remember.... Let's have fun!
Last edited March 18, 2016 12:52 am
Mar 18, 2016 12:55 am
Click picture for full size

http://talosrpg.com/picture_library/webdots.jpg
Last edited March 18, 2016 12:56 am
Mar 21, 2016 9:50 pm
This is the numbered one so it is easier to call out names or areas.

Again click for the large picture.

http://talosrpg.com/picture_library/webnumber.jpg
Mar 21, 2016 9:51 pm
Oh man! Where is Kicsiville going to be?
Mar 21, 2016 9:54 pm
Wherever you want! ;)
Mar 22, 2016 2:27 am
I have a few countries and city/town/villages names...
Mar 22, 2016 6:34 am
The top-right green continent looks very unhappy. Possibly because of the angry ghost just to its right.
Mar 22, 2016 6:36 am
But other than that not-so-helpful comment I would like to get involved. World-building is fun!

Do we take dibs on an area? I quite fancy the island (sub-continent?) with cities 23, 32 and 33.
Last edited March 22, 2016 6:46 am
Mar 22, 2016 7:49 am
I have a suggestion; how about running games of Microscope on here to build your world? I must admit, I haven't bought the rules yet so don't know how well the game lends itself to forum play, but it's $9.99 on DTRPG so I plan to use the referral link below and buy it come payday.

Has anybody got experience playing it?
Mar 22, 2016 10:47 am
Yes, you can submit areas and I'll try and update the map accordingly. I'll check out Microscope when I get home.
Mar 22, 2016 4:17 pm
Teremiscar
Teremiscar is a friendly and welcoming nation obsessed with food, music, wine, dance, and artistic swordplay. The Teremiscari (both plural and singular) love life with a fervent passion which often borders on hedonism. The country is ruled by a hereditary monarchy and its fortune has risen and fallen over the decades depending on the actions of its ruling family.
Excellent food is an important part of their culture, and as such, many restaurants, bakeries, and confectioners can be found on almost every corners in Teremsicari cities. They also hold many festivals and fairs to commemorate the passing of seasons, important historical events, and the harvest of food and making of wine (the best of which comes from the vineyards of Velveross). They love music and dance as well, and every community has some sort of theater (or at least an open lot in smaller settlements) where performances can take place.
Teremiscar is regarded (and regards itself) as the epitome of culture, which fills them with pride (and some measure of arrogance too). Many Teremiscari nobles often fall prey to new fashion trends as they try to copy the fashion of Terrablanca—Teremiscar's capital—which is often regarded as the fashion capital of the continent.
Teremiscari are tan black straight or curly hair, have broad faces and strong cheekbones, and a few men sports facial hair often limited to a goatee or van dyke beard. Common people favor long shirts and trouser. Wide lace collars and corsets are typical of Teremiscar. Male nobles often wear long, laced brocade jacket, wide knee breeches, high boots, and a wide-brimmed feather hat. Ladies wear resplendent garments with narrow waist, opulent skirts, and daring necklines. Even women of standing, however, may be seen wearing comfortable trousers and boots at times.

Capital: Terrablanca

Cities: Calminis, Ishtaral, Obscurnoira, Portapedia, Sinnock, Yinnis.

Towns: Alboleo, Lynuscadia, Montaferrum, Velveross.
Mar 22, 2016 4:36 pm
If nobody has laid claim to the island with points 79-82 on it, I'll give that one a whirl. Any particular time frame you need this by?
Mar 22, 2016 4:48 pm
Kalajel, did you have an area in mind?

No one has laid claim yet, and no time frame really, will just update as we go.
Last edited March 22, 2016 4:48 pm
Mar 22, 2016 4:50 pm
Karkatos
The political entity known as Karkatos is the largest on the continent. Approximately one tenth of the population on the continent lives here—about twice as many as its closest competitior; Teremiscar... Most people in Karkatos, however, dwell in the country side. They live of the fruits of their labor in the fields. Goats and chickens are everywhere, even in the alleys of the capital Karaskass. Aside from those, most farmers also manage to own a brood sow as well. On teh other hand, owning a cow means that you are wealthy.
The cultural and topographical differences between the provinces are tremendous. Karkatos' society is feudal, with the lower nobility—nobles and knights—forming the basis of the feudal pyramid, with the emperor in Karaskass at its top. Nominally, the entire land belongs to the Emperor, who assigns part of it to his vassals as fiefs. Those so enfiefed owe the Emperor their thanks and loyalty and in return get the Emperor's protection. These province lords form the next tier of power in Karameikos. They, in turn, assign smaller fiefs to loyal earls who, in turn, hold sway over a number of barons. Below the baronial tier is an almost interminable body of lower nobility.
This odd state of affair came to be when, 273 years ago, Karkatos was attacked by a strong coalition of enemy nations. Because of a loophole in Karkatos' politics only nobles were allowed to serve in the military. The Emperor of the time knighted manny commoners to go fight in the armies, which ended up putting a great strain on Karkatos' aristocracy. Then, 22 years later, his son, now Emperor himself, decided to split Karkatos' population in many small isolated villages to avoid giving its numerous nobles too much power. Because of this, many of the lower nobility of Karkatos are often only marginally better off than the peasants under them, in fact the term "peasant with a title" has become a denigrating term, and a stinging insult, mocking the lower nobility...

Capital: Karaskass

Cities: Barbacaus, Pralior, Sannack.

Towns: Drux, Keth, Kulmitt, Nareth, Torrik.
Mar 22, 2016 4:51 pm
lunitar says:

Well, since I have like 3-4 empires in mind, I'm thinking of the largest continent...

Well, I think I could fit everything in the upper half of the larger continent...
Last edited March 22, 2016 5:16 pm
Mar 22, 2016 5:02 pm
Lagos
If one thing can be said to be synonymous with Lagos it is sailing. This nation breaks off from the main continent and encompasses many smaller islands. Needless to say, this makes the people of Lagos accomplished sailors… though some would be tempted to say pirates and corsairs. There is a small series of island off the coast of Lagos which technically fall under it's jurisdiction, though law can be hard to enforce there and quite a few pirate crews make these islands their hideouts. However, from these islands come some of the world's rarest spices and plants, some of them used in the very popular Lagosian rum and cigars. The coral reefs of those islands is also a good source of fish, coral, seashells, and pearls and as well rumored to old treasures of an ancient civilization...
The port cities of Lagos are extremely varied and diverse, and at any given time, can swell many times it's original population, featuring people of all the major humanoid races and nationality and quite a few others.
Lagos is a meritocracy, where gold is king, and how much you have of it determines both your address and the amount of respect with which you can expect to be treated. Those with money—particularly old money—are at the top.
Lagosians like to combine their classic garments (woolen trousers and linen shirts) with gaudy, extravagant clotting they have bought in foreign markets. Heavy belts and girdles with ornamented buckles as well as leather doublets and bodices are typical, as are high seafarer's boots and broad bracelets.
Lagos' economy consist mostly of fishing, farming, and a bit of mining done in the Firestone Mountains. The Lagosians ply their trade as pirates, mercenaries, traders, and fishermen. They trade a lot with Terremiscar and their former enemies Karkatos as well as quite a few other nations.
Lagos also has a bit of a "secret" from the rest of the world (well two if you count piracy…) in that they also trade with a tribe of hobgoblins who dwell in the Firestone Mountains somewhere between the Hell's Furnace volcano and Stromwind. For some unknown reason, the rather intelligent goblinoids have decided to shift their interest of the civilized races to the more lucrative mercantile endeavor, so it is not rare to see the odd hobgoblin merchant plying his ware in and around Stormwind…

Capital: Lagol

Cities: Ergos, Port Yarrin, Stormwind, Tevlynn.

Villages: End O' The World, Longmarch, Pothos, Redemption, Shadowfall.
Mar 22, 2016 5:04 pm
lunitar says:

Awesome. I'll get to work on it tonight then. Should hopefully have something for you by the end of the week. :)
Mar 22, 2016 5:14 pm
Uthura
Uthura is a noble's republic. Every five years, the Noble's Conclave at Uthurial chooses a Noble Marshall who represents Uthura to other nations and also serves as the nation's chief warlord. The real extent of his powers is based on his individual authority, though, meaning that often the title of Noble Marshall is no more than that: a title.
The winters are rough in Uthura, and the rough climate is a good reason to warm up from the inside, and from the lowliest peasant up to the highest Bronnjar, people drink as if there was no tomorrow. Needless to say Teremiscari wines and Lagosian rhum have become greatly prized in Uthura. The inhabitants of Uthura are especially renown for their drinking prowess, so much so that the Term "hitting the bottle like a Prolshkish noble" has become popular a term throughout the land describing overindulgence in alcohol.
The people of Uthura are a dour and solemn lot, often gruff and suspicious. They tend to be brusque with outsiders, and even the most amicable Uthuran natives are no-nonsense and severe. The dour attitude that seems to dominate Uthura may be partially attributed to the harsh winters and often harsher feudal lords (called Bronnjars) who often rule the peasantry with an iron fist. Townspeople, on the other hand, are more open to new ideas and have a good mind for business.
Uthurans are of a thick and stocky build, having broad shoulders and hips. Skin tones run from fair to pale to almost milk-white. Their hair color tends to be dark, ranging from light chestnut to nearly jet-black. Similarly, they tend to also have dark eyes ranging from a pale hazel to a deep brown. Men grow their hair to a medium length, generally just above the shoulder while women wear their hair long, with younger women frequently braiding their locks. Most men wear thick, drooping mustaches, though beards are common only among younger men.
As for clothing, men favor loose white shirt, embroidered sheepskin vests, and dark breeches. Women wear blouses and long black, grey, or dark brown skirts and cover their heads with kerchiefs. During the harsh winter, Uthuran dress in fur with the peasantry having to do with only dog, cat, or goat. Free Uthurans are somewhat better off, as they may wear rabbit. However, lynx, ermine, and bear (as best exemplified by the famous Uthuran tall bear skin caps) are reserved for Bronnjars only.

Capital: Uthurial

Cities: Belfial, Kahlumanid, Nirushka, Prolshk.

Towns: Ludvadia, Moltovia, Pelch, Rondoval, Tolsh.
Mar 22, 2016 7:26 pm
Well, this is embarassing. I did not want to take the whole large continent, but with the amount of towns and cities I made, I sort of am forced too... I'll probably rework my suggestions, cutting down severely on the number of town/city names...
Mar 22, 2016 10:26 pm
sounds good
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.