Chapter 3 - HQ Interlude

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 21, 2016 3:45 am
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/93/640x325_16200_Tortuga_Docks_3d_fantasy_village_port_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

The Returning Members
As another day turns to evening at sea, you hear the call. LAND HO! You've finally arrived back in Neverwinter. Torment comes down to make sure you heard the call and make sure everyone is doing alright.

Not going to lie, still a little surprised you all made it back in one piece, she jokes, slapping Utes on the back as she lets out a chortle.

Aelar's troupe is safe and in time even the blight that seems to have affected one of the sisters has faded into the past. Luckily she seems to remember nothing of what happened around that time. Probably for the best. Watching your sister killed on a table in front of you can really haunt a person.

You finally touch down in the city and Ramas, having traveled with you, informs you he is heading to the headquarters in the Beggar's District. I have much to report. They will probably want to see you and your guest. Well, all of your guests. As soon as possible.

The sun hangs only inches from the horizon and the glowing orange light slowly fades away. Gas street torches are being lit by guards and the Docks is rather quiet, a big change from the usual hustle and bustle of the day.

The New Members
Unbeknownst to the returning group two relatively new members to The Daggers have already made their way to Neverwinter's main headquarters. Having just arrived today they have found lodging in rooms right next to where the groups already are. The half-orc commander, Samuel, has greeted you upon your arrival, and has called you again into his office after you got settled in. Thank you for coming so quickly. I am not sure if you have heard word through the network of the Red Tavern incident, or much on the case of The Bard. I will catch you up to speed on that when the rest of our active team returns.

Just then a man with two short swords slung across his hips walks in. His black hair pulled up tight in a small bun. He salutes Samuel, something that shows his ex-militia training. Sir, the group is back in Neverwinter and will be in soon to debrief. We have completed the first rescue successfully.

Ah, good to hear, good to hear, Samuel says, a large smile crossing his face. He turns back to the two of you. It looks like we have good timing. We will debrief when the rest of the team gets here. Until then feel free to make yourself at home in the headquarters. I'm sure it will beat the quarters you've had while out on assignment. Uh, what was it The Daggers had you doing again?
OOC:
What do you all choose to do? To the new members, feel free to flesh out what assignment you think The Daggers would have had you on that utilized your particular skills.
May 21, 2016 5:36 am
"Watching pirates," mutters the genasi druid in a voice like a clogged drain, picking mud off of his boots and flicking it onto the floor. For a water genasi, Firn almost appears to have avoided a bath for far too long, covered in a layer of travel dust while his musty leather armor looks faded with grime. They say that water genasi smell of fresh rain, but in Firn's case he smells more like mildew.

Firn looks obviously uncomfortable in the chair and in the city, lips pursed tight in an expression of disapproval at the trappings of civilization. "But, I am always ready when The Daggers call," he continues, and this time his voice has an assertiveness. "Whatever you need me to do, I'm glad to help."
May 23, 2016 12:05 pm
Once Ramas leaves to give his report, I say to no one in particular, "Well, that was a bit of excitement, wasn't it? Perhaps it is in our best interests to take one evening to relax and enjoy ourselves, yes?" I can't wait to find a new book to dig into. There must be a well-stocked library somewhere. I can't believe I haven't seen to visiting it already!
May 23, 2016 1:22 pm
Xadira. You recall from your last visit here that the main hall of The Dagger's hideout is probably one of the largest looking libraries you have seen. It takes up the span of a few city blocks, and is entirely lined with bookshelves. All packed with bound books, scrolls, and maps. Outside of that you think you may be able to find a nice bookstore in the City Core. There are a few good merchants there.

Firn. Samuel greats your willingness to serve with broad smile. Good, good. You two were chosen for your very unique and particular skills. Also, after our debriefing, you are free to use the facilities here. We even have a very soothing bathhouse located in Hall E., he says, looking at you Firn as he says that last line, trying to be quite subtle.
May 23, 2016 1:41 pm
Aelar stretches and smiles, happy to be back on land again, "What do you think, Utes? It's your prince that's in danger, so I think you should decide our course from here."

Aelar wraps an arm around Talia's waist and pulls her close to him, and leans close to speak with her, "I'll get you settled in and safe here, and once I've taken care of retrieving the prince I will be back for you, I promise."
May 23, 2016 10:56 pm
Ütés doesn't immediately respond to Aelar's query. Still sore from the fight with Gasher and suffering a bit from the continuous rocking of the ship, she simply stands still, enjoying the feeling of not wanting to puke her guts out.

"Yes, the good prince" she finally answers "My duty to the King is to once again rescue the dumb lad from his own misadventures."

She pauses for a moment as she looks towards Aelar and Talia, and then toward Xadira. "My duty to my friends, however, is to ensure their well being before we venture forward. Let us rest and recuperate and when we're ready we will start the quest for the prince."
May 25, 2016 1:33 pm
A good nights sleep would be good. Plus I'm sure The Daggers will have much to talk to me about, Bill says as he and Aelar's troupe follow along as you head towards the Beggar's Nest where the hidden entrance to The Dagger's main hall is.

I would like to speak with you as well when you are free, Davos the fortune-teller says to Bill.

It isn't long before you've found yourself back into the main hall through that dingy decaying looking door. You see a desk once again with Green, the small gnome sitting there reading through a rather large tome. He looks up for a moment from his book, Welcome back, is all he says and goes back to his reading.

You suddenly realize there are two gnomes here. Two Greens actually. The other one sits just behind and to the side of the one reading a book. He looks taller and he looks up at you smiling. He gets up and walks over. When he stands you realize that he is actually as tall as an average person, but looks like Green the gnome who is only a few feet high. The fake Green had been trying his best to hunch and look smaller when he was sitting.

Ah, Utes, Aelar, Xadira! Welcome back, glad to see you made it in one piece, and it looks like you were successful in your mission?, says the fake Green.
May 25, 2016 1:51 pm
"Fortunately yes, though it was a very near thing. I expect Samuel will want to see us?"
OOC:
I think it was Samuel who sent us out in the first place?
Last edited May 25, 2016 1:51 pm
May 25, 2016 1:55 pm
Fake Green grins widely. Of course, of course. Samuel is actually in his quarters with the two new additions to your quest. He looks over Utes for a moment. Then after your debriefing maybe you should go see our healers back in the Healer's Hall, he says, pointing farther back into this massive main hall of The Daggers. You see a banner above an offshoot hallway from here that has a decorative healing hand symbol.

As he talks the Fake Green starts to change. His skin turns back to it's pale ashen-grey color and his eyes revert to a solid cloudy white. His hair grows back into longer white hair and you see Taft standing in front of you, still grinning widely.
May 25, 2016 2:16 pm
In the commander's quarters, Nix has just finished delivering her report on the espionage mission she has just returned from. She delivered this report telepathically, without uttering a word out loud. This is a talent of hers few are aware of, even among the Daggers (though of course the commander is well aware). To most, Nix is simply a particularly crafty and elusive rogueish gnome who is an exceptional spy. Her svirfneblin heritage is obvious in her skin coloration and her bald pate. Underneath the too-large forehead, wispy, upturned eyebrows sit atop large, intelligent eyes. If people only knew just how intelligent, and in what way, they might steer clear of her.

Nix turns her penetrating gaze on Firn now, studying him. She has never seen a water genasi before.
Last edited May 25, 2016 2:18 pm
May 25, 2016 3:45 pm
Firn sniffs, then wipes his nose with his sleeve, leaving a streak across his face as well as his clothes.
May 25, 2016 4:01 pm
It's not long before a changeling walks in followed by a half-elf, human, elf, and a good number of other people. Samuel is quickly overwhelmed by people in his office.

Taft, it's a bit crowded in here, how about you take our non-mission critical people to quarters by the rest?, Samuel says.

Taft, the changeling, nods agreement and leads the larger group of the troupe out to the rooming hall. From the perspective of the new people the people that remain are the half-elf, elf, two humans, one female soldier type, and one male in a pretty tattered looking robe. Also standing there is a halfling that has remained behind from the troupe.

That's much better. First off welcome back. I'm very happy to hear the first portion of the rescue has gone successfully. Ramas has already been in to notify me of the events at the keep. It sounds like you handled that situation quite handily. With the destruction of the entire keep we will certainly put a dagger in the plans of The Bard, he says to Utes, Aelar, and Xadira.

For the second rescue our spies have brought us news that your prince is still being held in Salar, a town out in the deserts of the far east. We have brought two of our agents in whose skills will be indispensable to you in this, he continues, gesturing to a small purple looking gnome and a blue creature who smells of mildew and mold and seems to be utterly bereft of this fact.

Utes, Aelar, Xadira, these are our agents, Fin, the water genasi, and Nix, our Svirfneblin mystic., he says, gesturing to each in turn, And to you two, these are the ones that have been the center of the Red Tavern incident. For a brief overview they were targeted by The Bard, drugged by a special cocktail he has brewed up that causes uncontrollable rage and aggression. Aelar's troupe, and Utes' prince were captured during the attack and we have been putting our resources behind them to aid in their retrieval.

He pauses after all of this to gauge your response to all of this information.
May 25, 2016 4:09 pm
The water genasi stands as introductions are made, planting his boots in the very mud he had picked off earlier. Since the mud had already dried, this does little more than create smashed dirt on Samuel's floor.

"Hi," says Firn.
May 25, 2016 4:14 pm
Aelar watches Talia leave, giving her a wink and a smile as she exits the room, then turns back to Samuel and the new agents, "Things turned out better than we could have expected. Unfortunately, we haven't heard from Crolwell, since before our battle with their leader. It's nice to meet you, Firn, and you too, Nix," he sweeps a low bow at this point, ignoring Firn's dirtiness, having seen much worse on the beggars and drunks in his travels, "I'm sure your assistance will prove invaluable in our task."
May 25, 2016 5:11 pm
"Oh, hello! So very good to meet you all." I stand as far from the water genasi as I possibly can, cleaning my robes with a quick prestidigitation spell for good measure. I quickly nod to the other newcomer.
May 25, 2016 9:25 pm
Nix gives Samuel a sidelong glance when he calls her a mystic. She gauges the others' reactions to that a moment before a smile lights up her face. "Hiya! I'm Nixquilnamitzontecon Cuatextliyol. But like the commander said, you can call me Nix. Everyone does. Pleased to meet ya!" she says in the breathless, cheerful manner of all surface gnomes.
OOC:
I'm playing up the fact that psionics are rarer in the world than magic, and often regarded with distrust or aversion.
Last edited May 25, 2016 9:25 pm
May 25, 2016 10:32 pm
"Is there any other news of this Bard? Has anyone determined exactly why so many of the musically inclined were rounded up and brought to that keep, and/or what he could be plotting next? Has anyone been able to procure a sample of the substance used to poison our minds, as well as others? Oh dear, what if the Bard has captured Crolwell?! His life could very well be in danger! Although I must say, he is a resourceful fellow. Crolwell, I mean. Although perhaps the Bard is as well. I wouldn't know for certain." I look up expectantly towards the veteran Daggers, awaiting answers.
May 25, 2016 10:39 pm
Ignoring most of the formalities Ütés simply asks, "How many days travel is Salar?"
May 26, 2016 2:44 am
Samuel looks less than enthused by the stream of questions that pour from Xadira as he struggles to even get a semblance of an answer in to any question before another has flown out.

He turns to Utes when she speaks, All in due time, first we need to know what happened at that keep. Many of the questions your friend has may be answered by the man in the cloak there. Ramas has informed us that he seems to know much of The Bard. We also have our spies looking into the whereabouts of Crolwell.

With this Bill steps up to talk.

Aelar, you also notice Eagin is still in this room, and he walks up by Samuel's desk and takes a seat, listening intently as Bill speaks.
May 26, 2016 2:59 am
OOC:
OMG. Guys, I'm so pissed. I wrote like a 2 page long diatribe on this awesome backstory of these characters, and the my computer crashed. Lost it all. Rewriting now.
May 26, 2016 3:11 am
Ah, yeah. Thanks green dude. So me and my buddy Ted. We are musicians from Earth. That probably doesn't mean much to you but we were in a band, The Wild Stallions, back home. During our youth we were visited by a traveler through time. Rufus is what he called himself. He told us of our importance in our world. Our music would have true power. It would shape the future of our civilization. So he used his time traveling booth to help us bring famous old dudes back from our past to give a killer school presentation. Without that we would have broken up as a band for sure, he explains with a look of irreverence.

Well we did it. We changed our future with our music, and were rewarded with the time traveling booth. We traveled through time on more adventures, and unfortunately on our last adventure we went back to try and save a prince. Unfortunately he bit it in the booth. It was totally bogus. His blood somehow affected the booth and instead of traveling in time, we traveled between dimensions. We ended up here. In this world. That was centuries ago. The booth has been inoperable since. See, we have power here. Not just like metaphorical, but like actual power, he says, a little more seriously.

We don't age, we don't die. We have a magic I can't even explain. Our music doesn't just change lives here, it changes the world around us. But the instruments we had don't work here. They are broken and we couldn't repair them. With those we may have been able to get back to our time and our world. That is why Ted has been doing what he is doing. I think he has found something out, something to try and get back.

But Ted, the centuries haven't been cool to him. His music turned dark and brooding. He has turned traitor like an Eggs Benedict. He has been kidnapping these people to try and get them to fix our instruments, and make them work. I think he may also have taken your prince in an attempt to duplicate how we got here. Before he locked me away in that keep he kept talking about finding references to Rufus the Mad in this world. I think he is trying to bring Rufus here to help get us back to our world.
, he says with a sudden morbidity.

We need to stop him. To bring him back to his senses if we can...or..., he trails off with a look of sadness.
May 26, 2016 3:48 am
Firn looks serious, contemplative. Then after a thought, he speaks in a voice like oozing mud, "I have NO idea what this man is talking about."
May 26, 2016 3:59 am
Samuel looks a little thrown off as well after its all said and done. I. Uh. Utes, are you sure this man is uh...all together?
May 26, 2016 4:04 am
I carefully transcribe everything Bill says onto parchment for later analysis. "Bill and Ted. Are those human names? Could you spell them for me?"
May 26, 2016 4:28 am
For the record I'm Bill S. Preston, Esquire, and he is Theodore Logan, Bill says, with a mixture of pride and sadness on his face. Like the rememberance of glory days gone by.

He spells the names out for you as requested.
May 26, 2016 4:34 am
Satisfied that I've written everything down to the best of my ability, I turn my attention back to the others in the room. "I've seen what this man can do, and I can assure you that he possesses magic and knowledge that even I don't quite understand. And I am one who has dedicated my entire life to the study of wondrous magics and artifacts. He is telling the truth, as unbelievable and fascinating as it may seem. I want to know more, I want to understand. Bill S. Preston, Esquire, I will help you do whatever is needed. I'll never have an opportunity like this again!"
May 26, 2016 4:50 am
Thank you Elven lady. Excellent., he says.
May 26, 2016 5:46 am
Firn turns to Samuel. "So the assignment is to help Billess Preston?" An exhale of breath through his nostrils. "All right, then. What needs to be done?"
May 26, 2016 6:04 am
Nix's little pointed ears prick up at the mention of fellow spies working for the Daggers. She has never met any of her colleagues, and has often wondered idly how extensive is the Daggers spy network. She could easily have pried this information out of Samuel, but there is a line she hasn't yet felt the need to cross.

Nix giggles as Bill S. Preston Esquire finishes his story. Everything he has just said sounds just absolutely insane - in other words, exactly the kind of mystery Nix loves investigating. She gives the man a telepathic tap-on-the-shoulder: Hey Mister, I believe you even if these other jokers won't. I want to help. Tell me more." Out loud, Nix giggles again and asks, "What's a phone booth?"
May 26, 2016 1:20 pm
"I've seen what you can do, and you've done more for me than I can ever repay," Aelar says, eyes misting over, "You have my help with whatever you need."
May 27, 2016 1:42 pm
Well...I..uh..., Samuel seems at a loss for words but listens to how you speak of this man. Then we have much for our wisest do discuss with him before you head to Salar.

He turns to Fin, hearing him ask what the mission is, It would seem the mission is partially so. This man seems to have knowledge about our enemy we can use. However, our primary concern is the safety of your prince Utes. From what our spies have reported he is still very much alive, being held prisoner by The Bard. We were unsure why he has been kept for so long and it seems it is in preparation for...something.

Getting into The Bards fortress in Salar is going to take the combined power of all of you, he says, gesturing to the group as a whole. Salar is a town in the middle of a desert, but the town itself sits on a massive natural spring, there is an overabundance of natural pristine water that supports the town. Fin, you may find this place quite a welcome site.

The inhabitants are untrustworthy at best, and deviously cunning at deception. Nix, we need someone who will be able to pull the truth out of people who are not willing to give it. Xadira, your knowledge of the world may provide invaluable here. I would suggest studying up on the place before you go, if you are so inclined.

Aelar, I have no doubt your bardic magic is going to be a key to understanding and fighting The Bard if it comes to it., he says, giving each of you your general role in the team, and finally Utes. I have heard tale of your leadership. It seems your soldier duties have never ended and that is what we need from you.

He pauses for a moment to let it all sink in and then seems to remember something, Oh, and Eagin, glad to see you again. Feels like you've been in the field for ages. I think it's fitting you will join the team in Salar?

Indeed, someone needs to keep Aelar out of an early grave. Talia's going to need a suitor someday, he says as he flashes a smile back at Aelar, I guess he'll do.
May 27, 2016 6:40 pm
"Preparation!?" Ütés exclaims as Samuel's words snap her back to attention. "If that is indeed the case, then time is not on our side. We must leave at first light" she says as she starts pacing slowly back and forth deep in thought.

"The damned fool!" Ütés curses under her breath...
May 27, 2016 6:52 pm
Yes, I think first light would be best. The trip to Salar from here would normally be a journey of about 2 months. To cross the desert that surrounds the city is near suicide if you are not from the city itself, Samuel says, That is, unless you have the backing of The Daggers. We actually have something that has been a well guarded secret of The Daggers. He smiles as he says this.

This is probably not even known to you recruits. We usually only release knowledge of this to our most trusted and loyal inner circle, but it would seem this is absolutely needed. Our gnome tinkers have devised a mode of transportation, one that travels underground. It...well...it will be easy to show than tell. You will see it in the morning. For now, are there any more questions on the situation?
May 27, 2016 6:52 pm
Firn instinctively looks up, and sees the ceiling. "What time is it now?" he hmphs, unable to determine the hour of day as nature intended.
May 27, 2016 6:54 pm
Samuel flits his hand over a small orb on his desk and it turns a dark shade of purple. It's early evening. Sun has just gone down.
May 27, 2016 7:34 pm
"Excellent! We have a plan. I must visit the library presently." I give everyone a quick bow and exit the room, heading towards the main hall.
Last edited May 27, 2016 7:45 pm
May 27, 2016 7:37 pm
Aelar stares at Eagin, mouth agape, finally he gets some words, "You... What? How? When?"
May 27, 2016 7:38 pm
With a puzzled look Ütés asks "Travel underground? Caves?"
May 27, 2016 8:07 pm
Eagin looks back at you Aelar with a grin across his face. It's okay, take your time. I'll be right here.
May 27, 2016 8:08 pm
Yes, underground. Uh...sort of. Really, it will be best just to show you in the morning. Just know that we will cover that 2 month trip in about the span of two days. Faster if we can manage it.
May 27, 2016 8:29 pm
"Maybe it's a water slide," says Firn, somewhat hopeful.
May 27, 2016 8:35 pm
Samuel chuckles a bit, before realizing you are probably serious. Uh. No. It's more like a mechanical wagon is maybe the best way to explain it. The gnomes have been calling it the Subteranean Waystation System. Everyone else has just been referring to it as a SubWay. It will take some time to prepare, but have no doubt it will get you there quick.
May 28, 2016 5:33 pm
Firn's expression is neutral. "Wonderful." If there is nothing else, Firn excuses himself to find his accommodations and check out what this city passes off as a bath.
May 30, 2016 6:06 pm
"This is all very exciting!" Nix blurts out loud, rocking back and forth on her heels and toes. "So we're heading out at first light eh?" She'd like to get to know her new companions a little bit but many of them seem to be headed somewhere else in the headquarters. She turns to Samuel. "Well, I guess I should make preparations too. I was thinking I could make a stop at the Vault. Do you think they'll have something for me?" She fingers the Daggers pin holding the cloak at her throat.
May 31, 2016 2:46 pm
Firn
You find your room is right next to those of the previous team it seems. You have your own personal room with a bed, small side desk, and a footlocker at the bed. The accommodations are nothing amazing, but you get your own space here.

When you do find yourself at the baths it's actually a rather nice bath house by human standards. The water is not as pristine as you know it could be, but it's warm enough to steam and there are a large number of group and individual sized pools. All many of creatures seem to be here, Elves, gnomes, dwarves, etc. You even spot 3 Genasi here. 1 male and two females. They are taking up one of the tubs and laughing about something.

Xadira
Walking out into the main hall you find more bookshelves than you may be able to look over within months. The amount of volumes here, as you start to look over the shelves, becomes staggering. As you are thumbing through the books trying to find anything here you hear a throat clear behind you.

Turning you see a rather regal looking elf. He has a thin face with defined cheekbones and lightly tanned skin. His blonde hair is tied back in a few rather ornate braids. A small pair of spectacles slides down his nose and he pushes them back up. He has long blue ornate robes on that are trimmed with gold thread in a very decorative pattern.

Uh...e...excuse me. Miss. Is there anything I may help you find?, he asks nervously. He holds three large tomes under one arm.

Nix
Of course, they vault will issue you new items for the mission at hand, if you feel like visiting feel free, Samuel says as he looks over some papers. Looks like you are all due for new pins. Those will be issued in the morning as well. For now, go enjoy yourself. You are all free to go unless there are any other questions?
May 31, 2016 2:46 pm
Aelar takes a deep breath and forces himself to stop sputtering before speaking again, "When did you join the daggers and does anybody else know?"
May 31, 2016 2:49 pm
Well it wouldn't be a very good secret organization if everybody knew about it, now would it?, he says, still grinning. He seems to be enjoying this big reveal.

I'd say its been, his face scrunches up in thought, Oh, maybe 8 years now, eh Sam?

Samuel nods in agreement, I would think so. Eagin here was the one that thought you would be a good candidate for recruitment. He had arranged the meeting in that Tavern, it was unfortunate things never did go well that night.
May 31, 2016 3:34 pm
"Professor Xadira Liadon. Good to make your acquaintance! My, what lovely books you have here! I've missed this smell. It's been so many days on the road, I've run out of reading materials! Oh, but whatever will I read next! I suppose I should read up on the history and creatures of Salar to start..." I continue searching through the bookshelves for anything of interest.
Last edited May 31, 2016 3:35 pm
May 31, 2016 3:47 pm
Nix listens to Aelar and Eagin's exchange with interest. 8 years with the Daggers! She herself has only been a member for less than 2 years. She excuses herself to visit the vault and then maybe get something to eat. "Hiya!" she greets the high elf in charge of the vault.
OOC:
What's this guy's name? I would assume Nix knows it.
May 31, 2016 3:48 pm
Xadira
He smiles broadly. The talk of the books here seems to put his nerves at ease. Pleased to meet you, Xadira. I am Xalph Umemenor. Lore master of The Daggers. I hope you enjoy the library, I've currated it myself over the last few decades. You say you are looking for books of Salar? I know of three very informative tomes, if you would permit me to show you?, he says in elven. He gestures as to say, 'if you will follow me' and adjusts his spectacles which have slid down again.
May 31, 2016 3:49 pm
Nix listens to Aelar and Eagin's exchange with interest. 8 years with the Daggers! She herself has only been a member for less than 2 years. She excuses herself to visit the vault and then maybe get something to eat. "Hiya!" she greets the high elf in charge of the vault.
OOC:

What's this guy's name? I would assume Nix knows it.
May 31, 2016 3:54 pm
"8 years? Wow... and you think you know a guy!" Aelar says with a smile, "Well, no harm done. Glad to know that I'm not alone here. It's good to have a friend with connections, you know?"
May 31, 2016 3:58 pm
Nix
You approach the vault with a chipper attitude and find the Vault Master, Ruven. He looks over his books with the same stone faced expression he usually does. He glances up from the books and you see, just in the corner of his mouth, a little hint of a smile. He doesn't often react to people much, so this is probably the most you've seen out of him.

Ah, Nixquilnamitzontecon Cuatextliyol, he says, one of the few people that seems to revel in using your full name. His pronunciation is even spot on. It has been too long. What have they had you doing this time around?, he asks. His voice is flat, but you suspect that is just his way. It takes a lot to make this guy show much outward emotion.
May 31, 2016 4:06 pm
"Oh you know, Ruven. Same old, same old. A little of this here, a little of that there." Nix giggles and leans in conspiratorially, eyes narrowed, before sending telepathically, "I could tell you, but then I'd have to wipe your mind blank afterwards."
Last edited June 1, 2016 7:05 pm
May 31, 2016 4:08 pm
Nix
He lets out what could be considered a laugh to some, but sounds more like a sneeze that he simply couldn't contain.

It sounds like you will be heading out again in the morning, is that so?, he asks, thought he probably already knows the answer.
May 31, 2016 4:16 pm
"Yup, in the morning. And I was so looking forward to hangout out here a few days. Oh well." Nix shrugs. "Do you have something for me?"
May 31, 2016 4:19 pm
Nix
That tiny inkling of a smile shows up again as he looks down over his books, flipping through a good number of pages. Ah, it seems we do have supplies that are to be given out when you leave for your mission. Protocol states you should only receive them as a party before the start of your mission though, Nixquilnamitzontecon. I'm afraid you will have to wait for your new toy.
May 31, 2016 4:22 pm
"It was just an excuse to come and visit you." Nix says with a wink. "So I'll see you again in the morning then. Bye for now!" Waving to Ruven, she bounds off to the cafeteria.
May 31, 2016 4:27 pm
Nix
Ruven gives the smallest head nod you think a living creature could give and you bound off. Once you find your way to the cafeteria you see a scene that our other adventurers had just seen for the first time not long ago. Long tables filled with almost any type of sizzling meat, fresh vegetables, and juicy fruits you could imagine. Wait staff is bringing new plates out still sizzling from the spit and taking away cleared plates.

Another table down you see more pies, biscuits, and baked goods than you thought possible at one location. Large groups of Dagger members come in, eat their fill, then go about their day. Out on mission you don't eat nearly as luxuriously, but here at HQ The Daggers provide. You can take your pick of anything.
May 31, 2016 4:30 pm
Firn sweeps his gaze across the bathhouse. He finally disrobes and scrubs down in an empty area, before soaking for a while. Firn chooses not to speak to anyone unless he is spoken to; he is used to solitude and finds himself uncomfortable in large social gatherings.
May 31, 2016 4:41 pm
"Excellent! Your tomes are very well organized, indeed." I nod vigorously and follow him, stopping every few feet to peruse the bookshelves before being coaxed away again. "It could take months to make my way through these shelves. I simply do not have as much time as I'd like, but I do need to start somewhere. Do you have any recommendations?"
Last edited May 31, 2016 4:48 pm
May 31, 2016 4:45 pm
At the cafeteria, Nix loads up her plate with enough food to put an ogre into a food coma. Mincemeat pies are her favorite. She takes some of these and tops them with a steaming leg of roast pheasant stuffed with wild mushrooms so the pies catch the drippings. She also takes mounds of mashed potatoes oozing with bacon fat and butter, and a good helping of roasted fennel fragrant with orange. She balances the entire plate on a mug of cider so big she has to hold it with both hands. She takes all this, teetering and tottering, over to the long tables and plunks herself down to assault the small mountain of food.
Last edited May 31, 2016 4:46 pm
May 31, 2016 5:03 pm
Firn
The water feels good. It's certainly not as clean as it could have been, but from many human cities you know this may be the clearest of water to be expected. As you sit back and soak, clearly exuding a look of "don't talk to me" you hear a voice behind you. Feminine and fiery. Well, I do believe we've found ourselves another gensai.

You turn and see the group that had been on the other side, the three gensai that were taking up one of the tubs. In the lead is one of the females, Her red skin and visible flickering flames that crown her head suggest heavily that she is a fire gensai.

Before you can utter much she slips into your tub, the water hisses and sizzles a bit as she sits in it, she seems to be creating her own bubbling sauna as steam rises up around her like a cloud. You must be new to the headquarters. Very few of us around here. Thought we were the only three in the whole Daggers.

As she says this two more gensai slip into your tub. It's becoming incredibly crowded, considering it wasn't really meant for a group. The others are another female water gensai, her skin a soft blue with ribbons of white that remind you of waves on the open sea, and an earth gensai. His skin looks like polished stone and is a dark brown hue. His eyes sparkle like gemstones.

The fire gensai speaks up again. I'm Ainara. This here is Celtara, and Alnata, she says, gesturing to the water and earth gensai respectively. Who are you?
May 31, 2016 5:07 pm
Xadira

Xalph slowly manages to move you over about 15 bookshelves, having to stop to coax you along again when a new book catches your eye. He doesn't seem perturbed by this in anyway, and in fact smiles widely everytime you find a new book. He usually gives you a brief rundown of each book you notice and the finer points about it's origin, author, and contents. As easily distracted it takes you both about 2 hours to move the length of 15 bookcases.

Once he finally finds the shelf he responds, Indeed, here, he pulls down two books and sets them on a side table. They are thick tomes that are covered in a solid layer of dust, he blows it away, Apparently not enough people care for good lore around here, he adds.

Looking across the cover you see the two books are The Complete Documented Histories of Salar and the Glass Sands Desert, and, The Houses of Salar. He looks to you to gauge your reaction to the two tomes.
May 31, 2016 5:12 pm
Aelar

Eagin nods, It's good to not have to hide it from everyone for once. Sam speaks the truth though. You've always had talent with that lute and a sword. I never quite understood what you were doing with a traveling troupe, but I understand, it's like family. You actually wouldn't believe how many agents the Daggers have in traveling troupes. It's easy to get access to places and we move where needed.

He pulls at a sling that goes across his chest filled with his ornate throwing daggers. Pristine silver with jeweled handles. They are the ones he always uses for shows. Of course I was surprised at how gullible you all were with some of my cover stories. You really think I got these from an duchess ex-lover? I didn't even know what a duchess was. Just sounded fancy. These are from the Daggers vault. Same palce you got those nice boots.
May 31, 2016 5:30 pm
In the bathhouse

The water genasi knows that in any organization, it is important to foster good will amongst the members. Summoning as much charm and societal grace as he can, the druid opens his eyes, clears his throat, and says with the smooth dulcet tones of hair clogging a drain,

"Firn."
May 31, 2016 5:40 pm
Firn

Uh...okay. Firn, Ainata says, the water continuing to steam lightly around her as she looks over to Celtara, the water gensai.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Celtara speaks up, her voice is as if someone distilled the dulcet sound of waves lapping up on the beach. It's soothing and smooth. So why did The Dagger's recruit you, Firn?

You catch a slight scent from her that smells as if someone had filtered a sea breeze through a grove of cherry blossom trees.

The earth gensai, Alnata, simply sits back and watches the two ladies try to drag a conversation out of you. He seems to be amused by this.
May 31, 2016 5:41 pm
Aelar laughs, "What did you expect from me? I was only 11 when I met you, of course I was going to believe all your crazy stories. The troupe is my family, and I never had any desire to leave, besides to care for my mother. Though it looks like I might have another family to adjust to," he finishes, gesturing to indicate that he's speaking of the Daggers.
May 31, 2016 5:51 pm
In the bathhouse

With an expression as flat and emotionless as the deep sea floor, Firn replies, "My personality."
May 31, 2016 5:57 pm
Firn

There is a moment of dumfounded silence as the three other gensai in the tub try to comprehend what you just said. The earth gensai is the first to start laughing. Then the fire gensai, then Celtara the water gensai.

Alnata leans over and claps a hand down on your shoulder with a hand that is smooth, but as solid as stone. I like you, Firn. You're a funny guy. You been to the dining hall? More food than you can shake a genie at, he says with a big grin across his face, We were just about to head over there, want to join us?

Yes, join us, Firn. It's not often we get to meet new gensai around here, Celtara adds.
May 31, 2016 6:02 pm
Aelar

This ain't the only new family you may have, Eagin says, nodding toward the door to the office.

I may have spun some stories in my day, but for you, for the safety of our troupe, for all the people out there who may never know it, I'll fight by your side. Besides, I've talked to Sneak, he says your lockpicking skills are abysmal. Someone's going to have to get you out of a cell when you get caught. He flashes another wide grin your way.
May 31, 2016 6:04 pm
In the bathhouse

Firn nods. "Okay," he says. It has been a while since he had something more substantial than seaweed and crustaceans.
May 31, 2016 6:09 pm
Firn

You all get out of the tub, dress, and head over to the dining hall. You see Nix, the other recruit brought in. Nix is currently diving into a mound of food nearly twice her size. Before you is spread just about anything you could think of. There is even every variety of freshly cooked fish if that so behests you.

During the meal Ainata delights in showing how she can take raw lumps of meat and enclose them in her fist, opening them moments later as they sizzle, fully cooked. Celtara demonstrates her water mastery by pulling water from taps and barrels around through the air in thin lines down into her cup. She purifies the water in the process. Alnata mostly just shovels large amounts of food into his face during the meal. His only demonstration is nearly breaking the bench at the table when he sits on it.
May 31, 2016 6:18 pm
In the dining hall

Not to be outdone, Firn shows his skill in eating fish with his hands and picking the bones out of his teeth.
May 31, 2016 6:33 pm
"Hey, I only had a little bit of time to learn and I think I'm not doing too bad, thank you very much!" Aelar defends himself with feigned indignation.
May 31, 2016 6:36 pm
Aelar

Well shall we go practice? From what I could tell you need it, Eagin says, hopping down from the chair. Of course that Sneak is a cutrate lockpick at best, he adds, grinning widely again, an expression that seldom seems to leave his face, I'll probably have to start you over from the ground up.
May 31, 2016 6:40 pm
Aelar nods his agreement and grins back (it's truly infectious), ready to prove to Eagin just how talented he really is.
May 31, 2016 6:45 pm
Aelar

Working with Eagin you find it much easier to pick up the skills he is telling you. Instead of learning from a stranger it comes easier learning from one that is such a close friend and family to you. You find by the time you two are done training you have a much stronger grasp of the skills than you could have otherwise.
OOC:
Working with Eagin you gain full proficiency with the lockpick set that you had originally obtained from Sneak.
May 31, 2016 6:57 pm
In the dining hall:

Having finished her plate of food, Nix goes back for seconds. She piles her plate high with smoked venison served with a sauce of spiced cherries, sage-cured wild boar sausages baked into pig-shaped pastry crusts, a leg of lamb roasted in grape leaves, and more cider to wash it all down. She amuses herself by making "oink, oink" noises as the spicy boar pastries disappear one by one into her mouth.
May 31, 2016 7:07 pm
Nix

When you first sat down with such a large plate some of the surrounding members jeered at each other, saying things about how gnomes seem to have bigger eyes than stomachs. Those slowly stopped and the laughs and jeers turned to strange wonder.

The group sitting around you became even more stunned as you brought back yet another heaping plate full. Out of the corner of your eye you saw Firn again, he was walking with three other Gensai and sat down at another table. As you kept eating you notice one set of eyes that hasn't been distracted with other things for some time.

It's a female tinker gnome. She seems to have been testing out some sort of eating implement of her own design. It looks like a normal fork at the end but where she holds it it attaches to a set of gears and a hose that leads to a backpack unit she has.

Originally you watched her try this on a plate of pasta and upon firing the machine up the fork spun at such a high speed it essentially liquidated the noodles and sauce. She frowned at the device but was quickly distracted by the amount of food you had in front of you.

She has been staring with wide eyed wonder since. She sits about two tables away, but you have seen here staring a few times now.
May 31, 2016 7:26 pm
Nix finishes her second mountain of food and attacks the dessert table next. She fills her plate with dainty orange blossom cakes, blueberry tarts shaped like war galleons complete with spun-sugar sails, chocolate oyster shells hiding peppermint pearls, unicorns made out of marzipan, an almond and scorched milk bread pudding, a meringue sphere filled with wine-poached pears. Instead of returning to her original seat she heads two tables down and greets the tinker gnome. "Hiya!" Nix says, her mouth already crammed with lime jellies. "That's a cool gizmo you've got there! How does it work?"
Last edited May 31, 2016 7:32 pm
May 31, 2016 7:47 pm
Nix

As you near and sit the gnome quickly starts adjusting things on the device she has, realizing she has just been staring for quite some time now. She glances up a moment as you sit down and tries to go back to pretending she is working on something. Hearing you ask the question she straights up suddenly, Oh, uh. This. It uh. It's driven by the pack here. A small heat box, it uh. It makes steam that. Well, IT doesn't make steam, a water tank inside makes it. Then uh, she stammers out then suddenly you hear a splash of water on the floor and she looks back letting out a swear in gnomish.

I guess I need to reinforce the tank. The water bladder isn't holding. The drive is far too high on this too. Need to change out the drive sprocket for a chain drive maybe, she says, more to herself, almost forgetting you were there for a moment.

I uh. I'm Phina, she says, her focus snapping back to the conversation. She has two pink puffballs of hair that bobb around on her head and a pair of goggles with at least 6 different lenses hanging off of them.
May 31, 2016 8:02 pm
"I'm Nix. It's great to meet ya! Well maybe it needs a few adjustments, but I think your gizmo is awesome! I'm afraid I don't have much of the tinker's talent but I could help you with your food heater thingie if you want. That is, until I get sent out on mission tomorrow."
Last edited May 31, 2016 8:02 pm
May 31, 2016 9:42 pm
Nix

Oh. Uh. Hi, Nix. That, oh, that would be swell. I just need to look at a new containment...wait...are...are you a field agent? Oh boy, I've always wanted to go out in the field. I bet you have had so many great adventures, and harrowing escapes! she says with a sudden excitement and enthusiasm.

I uh. I'm one of the tinkers here. We work on new prototype gadgets you adventurers can use. Unfortunately I get to build some fun stuff, but I don't get to use it. This here is uh. It's a pet project I'm working on. It will, uh, hopefully make eating pasta much easier, she says as she lifts the fork device in her hand aloft. A little more water squirts from the hose attaching the fork part to the backpack. She frowns a bit.

It uh. Needs some work still I guess. Soon though. Soon you won't have to manually spin your own fork to pick up pastas! Soon you can just put on this small backpack, fill the resivour tank with water, add a few small chunks of wood, light the wood and give it about 20 minutes to heat up, then attach the backpack unit to the fork base, flip this little lever, and WALA! Just like that you can easily spin the pasta right onto your fork!, she says, becoming very chipper and energetic at the end gesturing down to what once was a plate of pasta and sauce, but has since been entirely decimated by the fork device which spun at near lethal speeds.
May 31, 2016 10:55 pm
"That's just terrible! A shame, really, that there aren't more here who can truly appreciate the vast knowledge one can glean in this fine collection. Their loss is my gain, I say! Yes, these books will do for some light reading. By any chance do you have any books on the history of the Daggers as well? Perhaps biographies on some of the more prominent members? Or, some sort of compendium of magical artifacts?" At this I look away briefly. It doesn't hurt to see what others have written, right? Once I've completed my own meticulously detailed compendium it could very well end up on shelves like these. I am momentarily filled with glee at the prospect. "Research purposes!"
Jun 1, 2016 2:06 am
Xadira

Oh, well..., Xalph says, looking down a little, We don't really have any written works about The Daggers. Uh, you see the organization is highly secretive. So to maintain a level of security there are no written works about them. It's uh...I guess mostly held here, he says as he taps two fingers to his head.

But, he says, quickly trying to get back to something he can offer you, We do have a wonderful encyclopedia of all currently catalogued magical items. It's a real breeze to read. Only 1382 pages! Small print of course. Plenty of illustration and what history we know of these items. Only the finest for one of with such an appreciation of lore. He smiles expectantly, hoping this idea will do.
Jun 1, 2016 5:03 am
"Oh. Yes, of course. I suppose that makes sense. I'll have to ask you more about the organization another time." As I'm talking I'm also scanning the book on the Houses of Salar, mentally flagging items of interest. "An encyclopedia you say! Excellent, that is just the thing I need! Delightful! I have quite the evening ahead of me!" I carefully hug the two books closer in anticipation of adding the third to the pile, breathing in some of the mustiness. That is followed by several minutes of coughing.
Jun 1, 2016 7:47 am
In the dining hall:

"I LOVE pasta! I would've had a plate of pasta next, but everybody's been staring at me weird so I figured I'd go ahead and move on to dessert." Nix says, as the last of the sweets disappears into her mouth. "You don't get to eat so well when you're out in the field, you know. Oh wait, that reminds me! I'll be right back!" Nix hops to her feet and moves off. She returns with an armload of mincemeat pies. She opens her pack and produces a roll of some shiny metal hammered into a sheet the thinness of a hair-breadth. She starts carefully wrapping the pies in the material. "Tin foil, Pops - that's my father - called this stuff. My ancestors were miners, you know? I mainly use it for wrapping up food for the road, but I've found some other interesting uses for it on missions. I bet you could come up with some interesting uses for it, too! Here." Nix tears off a length of the foil an arm-span long and hands it to Phin.
Jun 1, 2016 8:42 am
Xadira

Xalph's smile is beaming at this point, Oh absolutely, I'm sure I could discuss much of the history at great length and detail, you don't become lore master without knowing a thing or two about the organization.

He gets a bit of a nervous look. Like he wants to ask you a difficult question. Then you start coughing. He leans in to pat you on the back to try and help you out. Oh dear, Xadira, are you alright? I'm afraid that has happened to me countless times. as the coughing subsides he realizes his hand is still on your back and quickly pulls it back, suddenly blushing red.

Oh, I uh. I'm sorry, I uh..., he stammers out. He breathes deep and straightens up a bit, Uh. Ms. Xadira Liadon? Would you. Uh. Care to get...or partake in...some drink...er...tea...with me....and books. Or what I mean to say is would you and books like to accompany me to tea. Perhaps when you are in town again?, he says. He started the line with all the confidence in the world and quickly lost steam and started to stammer out his words again.

His spectacles slide down his nose and he readjusts them again. Somehow he has managed to turn a brighter shade of red.
OOC:
I'm going to start a list of knowledges Xadira has advantage on rolls for. The City of Salar, The Houses of Salar, and Magical Artifacts of The Daggers are on that list. Future time spent researching topics will gain additional areas of knowledge she gets advantage in knowledge rolls for.
Jun 1, 2016 9:04 am
Nix

Phina hangs on your every word. Every mention of exploring and adventuring seems to widen her smile a little bit. As you show her the tin foil here eyes go as wide as dinner plates. She has a very childlike wonder of the extremely thin metal. You hand her the sheet of it and she holds it like a delicate glass vase. Whooooooaaaa! I've never seen a metal this thin before. It's tensile properties alone are incredible! A metal this thin could easily help conduct the heat to and away from the coil matrix. It could even help insulate the heat tubing to prevent the occasional flare ups I keep having, she says more to herself.

She looks up at you with a smile so wide you are worried it may just fall off of her face. This. Is. AMAZING! Thank you thank you thank you. Come with me to my workshop. I have to repay you for this. I have something else I've been working on. Something befitting such a noble adventurer, she says as she slings now slightly smoking fork pack over her shoulder.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Jabes.Plays.RPG
Jun 1, 2016 3:48 pm
Firn
After the food comes the ale. After the ale comes more ale. The gensai can put them back pretty well. Alnata makes sure to keep your cup filled as he claps you on the shoulder after almost everyone of his 'jokes'. Despite your awkward social graces you seem to have charmed the group with your 'reserved' attitude. The hours grow late and soon the group disperses. They start to head off to different halls and tell you that you will need to hang out again the next time you are back from a mission.

As you are on your own ready to head back you feel a hand touch your lower back and the figure attached to it wraps around to the front. You see the warm red glow of Ainata's flaming hair. Hey, new guy. Not many of us around here. I'm looking for some company tonight. How about we bunk together?, she says enticingly as she puts a finger on your chest. It feels warm and the spot it sits steams just so slightly as she adds, I'm just right here up the hall, nodding to a bunk room up the way a bit.
Jun 1, 2016 3:53 pm
"Why?" comes Firn's response. There is a single blink of his yellow-green eyes, then a stare as he waits for the answer.
Jun 1, 2016 3:56 pm
Firn

Taken aback by the question a bit she seems to search for an answer. It's fairly obvious this ploy has worked on others far easier, she wasn't expecting resistance. Because, is all she can manage, still trying to maintain a coy smile which she assumes is going to seal the deal.
Jun 1, 2016 3:59 pm
Firn considers. "Huh. If you're scared of the dark, a night-light helps. Especially when you can't see the sky." Satisfied that he has solved this fire genasi's problem, Firn takes his leave and heads to his room.
Jun 1, 2016 4:03 pm
Firn

It takes her a moment to even register what has just happened. As you walk away, slipping out of her grasp, the fire that crowns her head grows a little hotter and brighter. She looks to find the right insult to fling but instead just huffs out a frustrated noise and spins on her heels, heading to her room. As you reach your room you hear a door slam hard further back in the hall. Looking back you see bright red light flickering from behind the closed door frame.
OOC:
Congrats! You uh. Get...whatever gear the Dagger's will give you tomorrow. And you made two new friends! And maybe an enemy. We shall see.
Jun 1, 2016 4:06 pm
Ütés rolls over in her bed as she hears a door slam in the distance. Don't people ever sleep in this place?
Jun 1, 2016 4:06 pm
"That's a good night-light," Firn says to himself, observing Ainata's door. "Bit too bright to sleep, though."
Jun 1, 2016 4:08 pm
OOC:
In general I'll run this interlude until people have done what they needed to do at the main HQ for the night. Once everyone is in bed for the night, or at least just done doing stuff, I'll move us along to the mission start in the morning.
Jun 1, 2016 4:13 pm
"I do appreciate a fine cup of tea. Do you have an extensive selection of loose tea leaves here? Oh dear, are you feeling well? You seem a bit peekish." I give him a look of sympathy. Perhaps he is suffering from an allergic reaction.
Jun 1, 2016 4:31 pm
Xadira

Oh, most certainly, he chimes in, trying to move the conversation to more comfortable territory for him, the kitchen here is house to all sorts of varieties, he adds, his red has gone down a little since you seem to have interest in his idea of tea.

Oh, no, it's nothing, just uh...the heat in here sometimes, he says, fanning himself for no reason. But if you will allow me to escort you there we can discuss The Daggers...and uh...other things. In much more depth. You will be amazed at the selection here, they have Assam, Darjeeling, Congou, Dianhong, Kangra, Nepali, Wuyi, Yingdehong, and Nilgiri, he says, stopping to take a breath, and that is just the black teas.

He continues to list teas and starts talking about the specific properties and flavors of each as he escorts you down to the dining hall for tea. This trip goes much the same way as the books as you walk down hallways filled with all sorts of old historical artifacts in glass cases, smaller side bookshelves with even more volumes of lore, and every manner of interesting thing you could think possible.

It takes a good two hours to get over to the dining hall which was only about 50 feet across the hall. He was just finishing up a very detailed explanation on how to steep tea properly and the health benefits of it as a surly half-orc holding a large try of food and ale. Bumps into the elf and spills food and drink upon his pristine blue robes.

Xalph apologizes profusely to the large half-orc and quickly casts a prestidigitation spell to clean himself and his robes. A gesture you know all too well. Sorry, it can be a little rough around here at times, he says to you and soon finds you a nice side table to have a more detailed discussion over tea. He tries to steer the conversation to you at times, and your history. He has a few thinly veiled compliments he gives you and blushes red every time he does so.
OOC:
Through your discussion with Xalph you now also have advantage on any knowledge checks to do with the history and staff of The Daggers.
Jun 1, 2016 6:26 pm
In Phina's workshop:

Nix's eyes go wide as she accepts Phina's gift. "These are AWESOME! Thank you!" She certainly wasn't expecting anything in return for her simple offering of tin foil. She puts the Cortex Bombs gingerly in her little pack. "You know, I've been with the Daggers for some time but I've never really had a friend here. And it gets pretty lonely out in the field. I'm really glad we met today! I just wish I wasn't leaving so soon. I would've loved to learn more about all this!" Nix says, sweeping her hand around Phina's workshop.
Jun 1, 2016 6:30 pm
Nix

Well you come back anytime, friend, she says with a twinkle in her eye. It's not often I get to hear about the adventures the field agents go on. I'd love to hear anything of life out there. That is where I really want to be! her eyes twinkle a little more the more she talks about the adventuring life.
Jun 1, 2016 6:48 pm
"...It was fascinating work, truly. But one day, while meditating I had an epiphany of sorts and decided it was the right time to explore some of the places I had only read about, and garner some first-hand experience. Expand my horizons, if you will. I've done so much in so short a time. It was quite exhilarating! In addition, I've met such interesting individuals! I'm sure this is par for the course for members of the Daggers, but it is new to me and I wonder now how many ways my life would have been different had I not journeyed to that tavern." I nod vigorously before looking around the dining hall. "Where has everyone gone? Oh dear, I've lost track of my traveling companions already!"
Jun 1, 2016 6:55 pm
Xadira

Xalph is hanging on every single word as you speak at a rate most people would be lost at. He seems to keep pace without even the slightest effort. The only reason he cuts off your tirade of talk is to spout intelligent and witty responses. His face is aglow with the discussion of your history and The Dagger's themselves.

As you break conversation and mention the emptiness of the hall he looks around too. Oh, dear, it seems I've lost all track of time, he says, more happy than annoyed by the fact. He pulls out a small pocket watch, obviously intricate gnome construction. He flips it open and looks at it, slightly frowning at the results he sees. Alas, Xadira Liadon, I must tend to some duties before I retire for the evening, he says with a sadness in his voice. I...do...Do you think, if you come back to HQ we could do this again? I've never had such a wonderful time with such a wisened and lovely, he blushes, scholar before. I would love to show you around all of the lore contained here, if you would so allow. He awaits your answer, turning slightly red again.
Jun 1, 2016 7:02 pm
"I bet you would make a great field agent! Maybe someday we'll get to go on a mission together!" Nix lights up at the thought, then sobers somewhat when she realizes how late in the evening it must already be. She gets up to leave. "Listen... Phina... if we're gonna be friends... there's something you need to know about me... I hope it won't scare you off " Nix hesitates a bit before sending telepathically, "I can do this, and...other stuff too...stuff that'll mess with people's minds." Nix peers closely at Phina, waiting for her reaction, hoping her new friend will take this revelation well.
Last edited June 1, 2016 7:04 pm
Jun 1, 2016 7:06 pm
Nix

It's hard to judge her reaction. She flicks her head around the room quickly looking for the voice she hears. She looks at you with a slack jawed face for a few moments. Just as you think she is about to scream in horror she does indeed scream. Oh. My. GODS! THAT IS SO COOL! How do you do that!? Do it again, do it again. Can I send things back?, she rambles out before she scrunches up her face trying to send a message back.
OOC:
Quick question out of character, can you actually hear the thoughts other people try to send?
Jun 1, 2016 7:13 pm
"Yes, you can send things back! Try it!" Nix and Phina trade thoughts back and forth, but then Nix's face grows dark. She says out loud, "I can do other stuff with my mind. Like force people to tell me things they don't want to. Or make them believe things, or hurt their minds. It's not all fun."

Quote:

Mind Meld (psionic talent)
As a bonus action, you can communicate telepathically with one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with a creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, and the creature understands you even if it lacks a language. You can allow a creature to respond to you telepathically, but it must understand at least one language in order to communicate this way. This ability to communicate lasts until the start of your next turn. You can’t communicate with an unwilling creature.

Last edited June 1, 2016 7:14 pm
Jun 1, 2016 7:16 pm
Nix

Phina's expression does turn a bit and she manages to send her first thought to you. I...I trust that you won't do that to me. Friends don't do that., she says as she crosses over to you, a smile returning to her face, and gives you a genuine hug. Unsure if intentional or not the word floats through the link again. Friend.
Jun 1, 2016 7:29 pm
"Of course! It seems you don't get many scholars here at all. I would enjoy learning whatever you are willing to share. After all, you can never learn too much!" I laugh and shake my head at such a ridiculous notion. "Good evening to you, Xalph." I collect the books that are currently open on the dining room table and pile them into my backpack. I won't be getting much sleep tonight!
Jun 1, 2016 7:36 pm
Xadira

Xalph watches you go for a bit and sighs contentedly. Such beauty, and knowledge. Has there ever been a more perfect woman, he says lightly to himself in elvish. He seems to float dreamily back to his duties at the main hall. All of the other keepers of lore note that they have not seen him smile so much in all of their time here.

After you have poured through the books you pour through them again and again. The knowledge sinking into your brain. Your fey ancestry leaves you no true need to sleep. With only a few hours trance time you will be ready to go again in no time.
OOC:
Are there any other activities Xadira would like to do before morning?
Jun 1, 2016 7:54 pm
To cap off my entirely enjoyable day, I indulge in a luxurious bath. Well, what most would call luxurious. For me it's just another bath in my favorite Elvish salts and Niphredil petals. What could be more perfect?
Jun 1, 2016 7:57 pm
Xadira

Absolutely nothing, the bath does wonders where a prestidigitation spell does not. You start the day incredibly relaxed and clean feeling.
OOC:
In fact you will have +2 to your charisma modifier for the day.
Jun 2, 2016 4:18 am
The next morning, approximately one hour after dawn I head down to the dining hall for breakfast. Somehow in all the excitement of the previous day, I managed to miss most of my meals! I am famished! Even so, I would not have changed a single thing. I greet anyone and everyone I see with a smile and a "Hello! A lovely day to you!"
Jun 2, 2016 5:05 am
The night before:

"No way, I'd NEVER hurt a friend! And we ARE friends. To be honest I don't even particularly enjoy hurting the bad guys." Nix turns thoughtful for a moment, but then snaps out of it and is her chipper self again. "Well, I better get going. Early start tomorrow. It was really swell meeting you, Phina. Thanks!" Nix gives her new friend a hug and heads out into the hall to find her bunk. Once there, she puts her things away and lies in bed staring at the ceiling. It occurs to her that while she's made a new friend and added one person to the small circle that knows what she's capable of, none in that circle will be among those she's working with in the morning. Who knows what tomorrow will bring? With those thoughts she drifts off to sleep and dreams of marzipan unicorns and pork pies.

In the morning:

Nix jumps out of bed bright and early and heads for the baths. As expected there are pools of different sizes, some filled with cold water and some with steam rising from them. Nix finds it curious, because she sees no attendants refilling the tubs and yet the water appears clean. Are the tubs filling themselves? Even more curious, protruding from one wall is a row of tubes from which water issues when a knob is turned. Nix fiddles with one of these wondrous tubes and is delighted to find it can be caused to spew hot water or cold! She recalls Phina's water heating box with hoses sticking out of it. Could the clever tinker be behind these as well? Nix spends a good half hour under the water showers until she has scrubbed herself quite clean, then goes back to her room to dress. She then heads for the dining hall for breakfast, where she falls upon the various offerings even more ravenously than the night before. Her mouth is stuffed with bacon and eggs when Xadira walks in. "Good morning!" Nix calls to her.
Last edited June 2, 2016 6:02 pm
Jun 2, 2016 8:40 pm
Xadira and Nix are the first to arrive to the dining hall from the group but it is already bustling with field agents readying for missions, some enjoying their R&R, and the various staff members here at HQ. The two even see Green, the gnome who watches the main door and always seems to have his face deep in a large dusty tome whenever they see him. He again has a large book propped up next to him as he eats. He only takes his gaze away from the book to make sure he doesn't miss his mouth with the food.

A nervous looking human, bustles here and there among the hall looking for someone or something. Upon spotting Nix and Xadira in turn he perks up and scuttles over to where you sit. Uh. Hello, Samuel requests your presence in his office in two hours time and no later, he says with an urgency before he nods for some inexplicable reason and scuttles off towards the rooms for the rest of the adventuring party.

Once there he knocks politely on the doors in turn to wake each member up and inform them of the same message. Samuel has requested your presence in his office in two hours time and no later.
Jun 2, 2016 8:47 pm
Aelar wakes up next to Talia and spends a long while watching her sleep. Once she finally wakes he sneaks her out of the compound before showing up to breakfast, "Sorry I'm late, ended up sleeping in a bit I guess," he says with a smile.
Jun 2, 2016 8:50 pm
After some time the nervous looking human comes scuttling up to Aelar after he shows up to breakfast. Ah, Master Galanodel, I missed you this morning when you were leaving with your lady friend. Samuel requests your pressence in his office in two hours, and no longer.

He breathes a sigh of relief that he managed to find everyone he was supposed to and scuttles off to find his own food.
Jun 2, 2016 8:51 pm
"Nixquilnamitzontecon! Good to see you again." I head over to her table, sitting across from her. I have a small platter of fruit and vegetables, as well as a mug of steaming tea. "Forgive me for being so rude yesterday. I simply had to visit the library. The books, they called to me you see! However, I am glad that we have a chance now to get to know one another before we head out on another dangerous assignment. Did I overhear correctly- had someone called you a mystic yesterday? Is that your profession?" Taking a breath, the human chooses this moment to interrupt with news of the meeting in 2 hours' time. When he leaves, I return my attention to Nix. "Oh dear, I wonder if there is news of some sort. Well, I suppose we'll find out soon enough."
Jun 2, 2016 8:58 pm
"Yeah, we didn't really have a chance to get properly introduced. I am Aelar Galanodel, bard extraordinaire," he introduces himself with a bow and a chuckle, "I'm also curious as to the term 'Mystic'. What does that mean exactly?" Aelar has some idea from stories he's heard, but wants to make sure his guess is correct.
Jun 2, 2016 8:59 pm
Firn rubs his face with his hands, forgoing the need for a wash basin. He dresses quickly and gathers his equipment in practiced form, but doesn't bother to brush his hair as he heads out the door for the dining hall.

In silence, Firn gathers a few fruits on a plate (an apple clamped firmly between his teeth) with bread and some cheese. He spies some of the others that he was assigned to help, and decides now is as good a time as any to make their acquaintance. The water genasi sets his plate down on the table and tips his head in a nod before taking a seat. He bites off a chunk of apple, grabs the fruit with his hand, and mumbles with mouth full, "Mornin'."
Jun 3, 2016 12:17 am
"Good morning to you as well, Firn. You look much refreshed today!" I nod animatedly. Our table has suddenly gotten very crowded.
Jun 3, 2016 3:22 am
Still quite not fully awake after a night of restless sleep Ütés makes her way to the table. She stops momentarily, wearily looking for an open seat, before taking a place with the others. "Morning" she mumble as she plops into an empty chair and stares at her empty plate.

"Where's the food?"
Jun 3, 2016 7:06 am
Here we go, Nix thinks to herself as she is asked about being a mystic. She puts down her fork and pushes away her plate. "I really wish Samuel would stop calling me that. I was wondering if you guys noticed. It's not something I go bandying about." Nix looks carefully at each of her new companions in turn. She sends psionic energy probing invisibly, testing their minds' defenses, then she sends telepathically, "I can do things with my mind. I can make you admit things, or believe things, or DO things. I can hurt you, too. I can defend myself I can kill if I have to. All with my mind." Nix releases the psychic link then. "I can try to do those things anyway. It doesn't always work. Some minds are too strong." She waits for the others to react, fearing the worst. "I love my abilities. I'm not ashamed. But sometimes it scares people. Or make them hate me."
OOC:
I would've gone with more of a demonstration but then I'd have burned all of my psi points for the day! :-D
Last edited June 3, 2016 7:06 am
Jun 3, 2016 8:26 am
Firn is completely silent and unblinking as Nix goes through her demonstration. After the gnome finishes, he asks in a monotone, "Is it powered by food?" His eyes cast down at her piled plate.
Jun 3, 2016 1:49 pm
Aelar listens to the words in his mind curiously, smiling, "I thought that might be the case, I've heard stories about other mystics. Not a very common skill, must be handy for all sorts of things! Is it a family trait of just a random ability?"
Jun 3, 2016 1:59 pm
At first when Nix begins to prove my mind, my mental defenses go up. Once I realize this is her doing and not some sort of attack, I relax and allow the message through. I nod at her, both intrigued and impressed. Perhaps this power is a more elegant form of a charm spell? I'll have to do more research! I reassure her. "You needn't worry! Fear stems from ignorance. Not that I'm saying... what I mean is..." I clear my throat. "If the term "mystic" is unacceptable to you, what would you prefer this power of yours to be called?"
Last edited June 3, 2016 2:00 pm
Jun 3, 2016 3:13 pm
Nix breathes a sigh of relief, and lets go of her dagger, which she'd been grasping under the table, charged with psychic energy. She giggles at Firn's question. "Is it powered by food?! I suppose it is! Haha!" She resumes her assault on the tower of pancakes on her plate. "My family were all killed two years ago, and the Daggers took me in. I don't know if anyone in my family ever had abilities like mine." As the reality of her new companions' acceptance dawns on her, Nix becomes more relaxed and animated. "I don't like being called a 'Mystic'. 'Psion' sounds better to me, but I don't like to be called anything, really. I'm a spy for the Daggers, but I'm still just Nix." the gnome shrugs.

Suddenly, Nix realizes the stern human warrior hasn't said anything. That one hadn't even bothered responding yesterday when Nix and Firn had introduced themselves. Nix looks up slowly, on guard again.
Last edited June 3, 2016 3:14 pm
Jun 3, 2016 4:00 pm
Still unsure what to make of her new companions the gnome's willingness to probe her mind without permission doesn't sit will with Ütés.

Raising an eyebrow as she stares at the gnome Ütés says in a calm tone "Please don't do that unless it's necessary, Psion."
Jun 3, 2016 4:28 pm
"Fair enough." Nix replies with a small smile. "I wouldn't like someone digging around in my head either. And trust me, I don't enjoy being in other people's heads... I almost never like what I see." Nix finishes off her breakfast with a jug of milk. "That's why I like to think happy thoughts!" She wipes away the milk mustache with her sleeve. "So. Our mission. Something to do with rescuing a Prince? And what d'you all think of this Bill person?"
Last edited June 3, 2016 9:03 pm
Jun 6, 2016 4:31 pm
"Utes can tell you all about the prince. As for Bill, he saved Talia's life, so I have nothing but good things to say about him until her somehow shows me otherwise."
Jun 6, 2016 10:10 pm
"I've been tasked with, once again, rescuing the good prince from a disaster of his own creation" Ütés says with a sigh. "Normally the fool just runs off drunk and gets lost, and I have no doubt that is how this whole mess started as well." She pauses for a quick second as she begins testing her wounds from the previous fight, "This time, however, he seems to have gotten himself into serious trouble, and I will not let harm come to my king's son."
Jun 6, 2016 11:42 pm
"The prince is your son?" asks Firn.
Jun 7, 2016 1:19 am
Ütés stares blankly at Firn.
Jun 7, 2016 3:09 am
Firn stares blankly at Ütés. Perhaps the water genasi heard her incorrectly. "Your son, you won't let harm come to him?"
Last edited June 7, 2016 3:11 am
Jun 7, 2016 3:14 am
"My king's son. The prince is the king's son, not mine!"
Jun 7, 2016 3:25 am
Firn nods, understanding at last. "Yes, royal rank must be preserved. You can still consider him your stepson through marriage, yes?"
Jun 7, 2016 4:28 am
Aelar bursts out laughing at this point and claps Firn on the back, "It's gonna be an interesting little adventure, don't you think?"
Jun 7, 2016 7:31 am
Nix giggles. "Oh it'll be interesting, for sure!" she says, getting to her feet. "I suppose we should go see Samuel now, unless you guys have other stuff to take care of?"
Jun 7, 2016 11:21 am
Ütés once again gives her new companion a blank stare. She starts to talk but as soon as she opens her mouth she reconsiders and simply shakes her head.

"Perhaps I'll explain it to you another time."
Jun 7, 2016 12:04 pm
Peering up from my book, I see everyone is finished with breakfast. "Oh yes, Samuel. Should we pick up supplies first before we go to see him?" I wonder if they have any other magical items that I could get my hands on...
Jun 7, 2016 12:41 pm
OOC:
Standard protocol is to get your mission first then go get your gear. At least that is how it worked last time. Those with The Daggers should know the protocol already.

Also, SURPRISE! It's my bday folks. Everyone gets a level! The mission will adjust accordingly. :)
Jun 7, 2016 1:59 pm
"Mission briefing first, gear and supplies after. That's the protocol. C'mon, let's go!" Nix bounds off excitedly in the direction of Samuel's office.
Last edited June 7, 2016 2:34 pm
Jun 7, 2016 2:25 pm
Aelar stands and cleans off his hands on a napkin, "Sounds good to me. Is everyone ready for the next rescue mission?"
Jun 7, 2016 3:43 pm
Firn instinctively glances up and sees the ceiling. Blasted rooftops make it impossible to tell whether or not two hours have passed. He shovels the remainder of food down his gullet, but saves two whole apples for later.
Jun 7, 2016 5:07 pm
"Oh, yes! I am as ready as I can be as of this moment! Although I suppose there is always the opportunity to be better prepared, given additional time. But I recognize that we have a limited time frame. In any case, I have learned so much in the past day! Your lore master Xalph Umemenor, that is the Daggers Lore Master, has been incredibly helpful in pointing me towards these lovely tomes documenting the city and houses of Salar. You are fortunate to have such a valuable resource. In fact, my experience here has been nothing short of... well..." I'm temporarily at a loss for words. I finally settle on "Wonderful. Yes, indeed. I can see now why so many of you are loyal to the group." I nod towards Nix and Firn.
Last edited June 7, 2016 5:09 pm
Jun 8, 2016 6:48 pm
As the group reaches Samuel's office they enter into the office. Across his desk is a map of what appears to be a city. It's an overhead view and you see a large portion of it is blue, representing a large natural spring that the city rests within. It almost looks like a massive floating city on an even more massive lake.

PhantomNimbus sent a note to Moofsalot
[passing note to Xadira]

As Nix bounds in she is suddenly struck by both audible and mental sound, Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxxxxx!, the voice chimes in a familiar voice as Phina charges across the room and wraps the gnome up in a hug.

The rest see both Samuel and Bill in this room as well. They are conversing as you enter and Samuel gestures for you all to enter and get comfortable.
Jun 8, 2016 7:19 pm
Firn is the last into the office, and before he goes in he sees the gensai from the other day. Alnata the earth gensai looks as though he wants to smile and wave to you, but Ainara, the fire gensai, quickly pulls his hand down and says something to him.

Alnata and Celtara both look sort of sad, like they still want to come over and say hi, but they are slowly turned away by Ainata. Ainata, gives you a look that to most normal people could easily be seen as "I don't just hope you die, I hope your entire family and everyone you ever knew and ever loved dies in front of your eyes first...and then you die." Her flaming hair burns a little more deep red and orange.
Jun 8, 2016 7:24 pm
Firn appears completely neutral (oblivious?) to the intense heat of the gaze. Lack of sleep. Figured that night light was too bright, he thinks to himself.

"Mornin'," he says aloud, monotone, and disappears from view as he enters Samuel's office.
Jun 8, 2016 7:40 pm
"Phina!!!!!!" Nix squeals, and returns the pigtailed gnome's hug. The two jump up and down crazily before settling down somewhat to listen to what Samuel has to say. The peace is short-lived, however, and only lasts until Nix starts drooling over the map. "Oooh, what a pretty island! Is this where we're going? Do we get to ride boats? I like boats! How come I don't recognize any landmarks? Ooooh lookit the tiny little map people!"
Last edited June 9, 2016 9:07 am
Jun 8, 2016 7:44 pm
I walk forward, standing next to Samuel and Bill. As I give the map a quick once-over, I turn back towards the group and wait for most to sit before beginning my lecture. Just as I'm about to, Nix runs over and starts peppering me with questions. "I'm sure Samuel will tell us about the details of our journey shortly. As for the map, I can get us started! Salar. The 'Jewel of the Desert.' Composed of these four districts, or wards..." As I mention each, I give a quick flick of the wrist in order to make the 4 distinct, square regions of the map glow briefly in a different-colored light. "...House Sildonis, Vareen, Adonis, and Bakar." I point at a circle that touches upon each edge of the 4 square wards. "This here is the fastest path between the houses." I point towards the palace in the middle of the circle. "And here in the middle of that is, of course, the central hub of business and industry, the Palace of House Greyhand. These are the 5 ruling houses, each relying on one another's cooperation in order to ensure a thriving economy and a thriving city, as a whole. Any questions?"
OOC:
Using Prestidigitation for non-cleaning purposes for once!
Last edited June 8, 2016 8:05 pm
Jun 8, 2016 7:54 pm
Samuel stands with his finger raised, as though he was about to start talking about the map. Once Xadira's lecture ceases for a moment he tries to interject, Uh. Oh. Yes. Salar, he says, trying to find something to add, but know that was pretty much as good a summary as he could have given.

B..but, he says, finally finding his train of thought, I should mention things appear to have changed much in Salar since The Bard moved in. He steps in and gestures to the small sigil figures that represent the 5 houses. These are the five houses as they were, it would appear that The Bard has..., he says as he reaches to the middle sigil, a shield with a grey closed fist gauntlet on it, and knocks it over, ...taken House Greyhand, the most powerful of the houses in the city by far. The rest have bent the knee to his power and only are trying to stay out of his way at this point.

He points to the large circular hub of the wards, the ward that the Greyhand's had run, The prince has been last seen being escorted into the Greyhand palace. Our sources say he is most certainly being held in the dungeons here.
Jun 8, 2016 8:05 pm
"How is that possible? What has happened to House Greyhand's personal militia? Did that entire army... disappear?" I look both alarmed and intrigued at the prospect. What causes an army so large to simply fold to the whims of one man? How are we, then, meant to defeat this one man and save the prince?
Jun 8, 2016 8:11 pm
"You know people can be made to do things they normally wouldn't right?" Nix says, suddenly serious, her words heavy with meaning.
Jun 8, 2016 8:31 pm
I'm afraid Nix is right, Samuel says, with a matched seriousness. The Bard so far has had an army of orcs, and goblins. A few sell swords here and there. Nothing that could take such an army in the middle of such a heavily guarded city. We think this might be the work of another with...a similar skillset as your own, Nix.

You will be our resident expert on the powers at work here. The force was dismantled from within, most of the knights and guards either bending the knee to The Bard, or being locked in the house's own dungeon. No one has seen the royalty of the Greyhand house since this take over.

He points out the central hub and how it is the only way to travel between the 4 other wards. He has taken and locked down this entire ward here in the center. It's essentially cut off trade and travel between the wards, and as it is the only way in and out of the city it has essentially cut off the wards from the outside world. They are basically in disarray and chaos. It would seem the once harmonious houses now fight against the others to keep what supplies they have and can obtain.
Jun 8, 2016 8:38 pm
"This is bad... really bad," Aelar says after studying the map for a moment, "I sure hope you have some plan to get us close to the bard so we can take him down. I don't fancy trying to deal with an army's worth of trained fighters."
Jun 8, 2016 8:47 pm
Of course, Samuel says and jabs his finger onto the palace of House Vareen. The Sub Way you will be taking will bring you to a hidden chamber in the palace of House Vareen. They are the mage's ward. They had provided much of the city with magical healing and aid. They also have been the lore masters of the city for as long as it has existed. The entire documented history of the city is held within the ward's library.

He traces his finger through the ward in no particular fashion. You will need to cross the ward and make your way to the gate that leads to the central ward. Outside you should find sewer access. The sewers of the city run underneath all of the wards. From these you should be able to gain access to the palace of the Greyhand. Once inside you will need to get to the dungeon to get the prince. I will send my own small force with you, maybe 40 men and women in all, capable fighters and warriors. Once the prince is secure some of them will make their way back to the Sub-Way with him, the rest will aid you in bringing down The Bard.

After he wraps up he looks to the group, I can't entirely be sure what you will encounter inside the palace. No one has been allowed entry to the central ward since The Bard took over. So our intel inside is spotty. It's the best information we have though.
Jun 8, 2016 10:14 pm
Ütés listens as Samuel provides details and answers some of the others' questions as she carefully studies the map.

"An assault on The Bard should be the priority of our mission" she says quietly continuing to stare at the map. "Rescuing the good prince, while obviously a personal priority of mine, risks us giving up an element of surprise should we be caught in the act. It would make more sense to hit The Bard before he knows we're there."

She slowly looks up from the map and fixes her gaze on Samuel.

"What is the likely hood that we would be able to persuade some of the other houses to join our cause?"
Jun 9, 2016 3:16 am
The chances are good that they will want to help. Though since each Ward has been shuttered in getting to the heads of the wards may be difficult. You may also face...resistance. The wards, as it sounds, have descended into chaos themselves. However, uniting the four houses again could prove to be invaluable for your cause. Their forces number in the thousands.
Jun 10, 2016 7:28 pm
"Very good, then. Is that then plan? Send in an ambassador to unite the wards against the bard?" I jot down notes on my parchment. It seems these plans are much more complicated than what we've done this far, but the Daggers seem confident so there's no reason to panic yet!
Jun 10, 2016 7:43 pm
"Got a plan for getting to the leaders and who wants to do the talking?"
Jun 10, 2016 7:43 pm
Nix nudges Phina and whispers telepathically, "Whoa, I've never been sent on such a complicated mission before! It was always go in, get out. But this now...this is heavy stuff!"
Jun 10, 2016 7:59 pm
Phina, clumsily at first, sends back, I've never been on a mission before, I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I was so excited when they approached me to go on this mission. They actually packed up most of my lab last night and put it on the Sub Way.
Jun 10, 2016 8:27 pm
"So you're coming with us?! THIS IS AWESOME!" Nix says the last bit aloud without meaning to, with an excited squeal and hopping to her feet. Suddenly all eyes are on her and she grins sheepishly. "Ah, sorry. Um yeah, I'm just...excited to be going on another mission, is all." Nix sits back down and tries her best to suppress a giggle.
Last edited June 10, 2016 8:27 pm
Jun 10, 2016 8:34 pm
Phina claps her hand over her mouth as you jump up to suppress her laughter. Once it calms down again she sends, I know! I'm so excited! I finally get to see what it's like to do what you do!
Jun 10, 2016 8:39 pm
Samuel, after Nix's outburst, turns his focus back to Xadira and Aelar. We didn't assume such a thing would be possible, so we didn't have a planned contingency for uniting the houses for aid. I'm afraid The Dagger's have no true ideas to support the concept, he says, slightly disappointed that they hadn't thought of the idea, and knowing it would add a very daunting task.

Jun 11, 2016 1:20 am
"A shame" Ütés sighs as she backs away from the table. "I would assume, with what Samuel has said, that attempting to unite the houses, or even to make contact with them, would risk exposing our mission."

Mumbling to herself as she starts to slowly pace back and forth, Ütés considers other options but ultimately decides that Samuel's original plan will have to do, considering the lack of decent intel.

"I suppose once we're in the palace we'll have to find some way to draw The Bard out. Perhaps Bill would be of some service to us in this regard?"
Jun 11, 2016 5:22 pm
Firn remains quiet during this briefing. The thought of sewers gives him a feeling of distaste, but like waves upon a cliff, eventually such difficulties will become lessened over time.
Jun 13, 2016 7:18 pm
Bill steps forward. I'm hoping part of Theodore is still in there. Part that I can use to draw him out to us. As I said before I would like to try to save him if we can, but if it comes down to it, I hope you will have no hesitation in doing what must be done, bummer as it may be, he says, looking to Utes in particular.
Jun 13, 2016 8:26 pm
"We'll need to find a way to open the paths between the wards once more. Perhaps if we show them that we can and will help restore trade to their city, they would help us in our task!" This is a complicated and delicate operation. Hmmm.
Jun 16, 2016 12:02 am
"We will attempt to save your friend." Ütés says.

"But I will not allow harm to come to mine. Should the bard make any type of threatening move he will die where he stands!"
Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am
So we know the plan as we have it. And time is of the essence, so I will send all of this with you on the Sub Way. Bill will accompany, as well as the company of Dagger guardsmen. We will also be sending Eagin and Phina with you as well. Both should provide very useful. Phina is one of our top tinkers and Eagin is a masterful field agent.

He wraps up the maps and presents them to Utés. You should all go see the Vault Master and receive your supplies for this mission. For your service thus far consider your current items a gift of our appreciation.
Jun 16, 2016 2:53 am
Firn nods his understanding, and waits to follow someone to see this Vault Master.
Jun 16, 2016 3:11 am
"Thank you! Oh, yes, this is just marvelous!" I somehow resist the urge to hug the half-orc. "Let us go pick up our supplies then, yes?" I nod vigorously towards the other group members before skipping towards the Magical Vault of Wondrous Magical Items.
Jun 16, 2016 3:19 am
She must know where it is, thinks Firn, and follows Xadira.
Jun 16, 2016 10:55 am
Nix grabs Phina's hand and bounds off to see Ruven at the Vault.
Jun 16, 2016 1:46 pm
Aelar smiles, glad to have Eagin along for the trip, "Let's take care of this, then we can all take a much-needed vacation!"
Jun 16, 2016 4:02 pm
Phina skips along with Nix speaking a mile a minute, Oh gosh I'm so excited, I can't believe I finally get to go out on mission. This is going to be so FUUUUN. I have to show you all the things I've been working on, you have to see the Sub Way car that made into my mobile tinker workshop! I've never been to see the vault master, would you believe it! Normally only the field agents have to go there, but I guess I'm one now! This is soooooo coooooool.

Eagin follows after Aelar, teasing him about hearing that the sister of his love awoke next to an empty bed this morning. All in a friendly jovial manner that family would have.

Bill follows the rest to the vault, but he seems mostly quiet and reserved the whole time. He did manage to thank Samuel, calling him 'green dude', before he left.
OOC:
Anyone want to do anything else before you go to meet the Vault Master?
Jun 16, 2016 9:37 pm
Storing the maps in her pack Ütés thanks Samuel for his help before she turns and follows the others to the Vault Master.
Jun 17, 2016 3:03 pm
As you enter the vault room you see the same high-elf that had given you your previous supplies when you left for the keep. The other two, Nix and Firn, recognize the vault master Ruven, they had met him when they first joined on for a mission. He glances up with his usual casual disinterest. Ah, back for more, he says dryly.

Since there are quite a few of you let's do this one at a time. Nixquilnamitzontecon Cuatextliyol. Please step forward., he says. Anyone who looks close enough might almost see the tiniest inkling of a tiny bit of a smile in the corner of his mouth. Of course he could just have an itch.
Jun 17, 2016 5:35 pm
Nix hops forward, grinning from ear to ear. "Hiya, Ruven! Here I am!"
Jun 17, 2016 5:51 pm
Ruven looks up only for a moment, and this time you are sure of it. Hidden among his casual look of disinterest, a tiny smile trying to break through around the corner of his mouth. He looks back down at the book and gives the gnomes next to him a number. They walk into the vault and soon one of them emerges holding a folded black robe. He walks over and presents it to Nix.

This is the Robe of Stars, a very interesting item indeed, he says as you start to unfold the robe. It's surprisingly already sized for a gnome. You soon see that only the top is black, as it goes down the robe you see all of the detail of a clear night sky. It's as if you are looking at the night time heavens themself. Detailed stars and cloudy galaxies swirl about and sparkle along the outside of the robe. You see what looks like 6 bright stars that ring the front collar of the robe. The detail is so intricate, you feel as if you could simply pull one of the stars off.

The Robe of Stars will make you a little better at surviving all around, but has two very unique features. First, the stars around the color, These are actually removable and each star contains the ability to cast Magic Missile. This form of the spell is actually quite powerful. Every evening at dusk, some more of these stars will restore themselves, he explains, and then adjusts his glasses.

The second feature is that this will actually allow you to enter the Astral Plane, along with everything you are carrying. When you choose to come back you will arrive in the same place you left., he finishes and looks back up to Nix. Use it wisely.

Next, may I have Xadira Liadon step forward, he says as he gives the gnomes working with him another number.
OOC:
Item:
Robe of Stars:
You gain a +1 bonus to ALL saving throws while wearing this robe.

As an action you may remove one of the stars around the collar to cast Magic Missile as a 5th level spell. Daily at dusk you gain back 1d6 uses.

As an action you may also enter the astral plane. You stay there until you use an action to return to the normal plane. When you come back you appear in the same space you left.

Note, it says robe, but it's more like a cloak that goes over you, it has a hood attached to it.
Jun 17, 2016 5:55 pm
"Oh, yes! With pleasure!" I walk towards Ruven, trying to peer past him into the vault to see what is in store for me.
Jun 17, 2016 5:56 pm
"WOW! Thanks, Ruven!" Nix puts the cloak on and shows it off to Phina. "I think it's pretty!" she sends telepathically
Last edited June 17, 2016 11:44 pm
Jun 17, 2016 6:08 pm
Another gnome emerges with a rod, about 3 feet long. It's a long golden hilt that is capped by what looks like a small square castle tower. The end of which looks open, and when you look into it you can't see a bottom. It seems to end in shadow. You somehow feel like you are looking into an endless void. On each side of the tower are golden runes inscribed into it.

The Rod of Absorption, quite the magical instrument. This rod will actually allow you to absorb spells that are fired at you. It will require some time for you to attune with the rod, but once you do you will be able to feel how much energy it has in it. You will actually be able to use this energy to power your own spellcasting abilities. The attunement process will take about 1 day, he says, reading from his massive tome of items.

He says all of this but you already understood the second he said Rod of Absorption. It was page 2738 of the magical item book you browsed last night.

Firn Vapor, please step forward, he says.
OOC:
Item:
Rod of Absorption:
While holding this rod you can use your reaction to absorb a spell that is targeting ONLY YOU and not with an area of effect. The absorbed spell is cancelled, and the energy of the spell is stored in the rod. The energy amount is the same level of the spell absorbed. It can store a max of 50 levels of energy. If you are targeted by a spell it can't absorb the rod has no effect.

Attuning to the rod lets you know how many of levels it currently has, and the level it has absorbed over its lifetime.

If you are a spellcaster using the rod you can convert energy in the rod to spell slots to cast spells you have prepared, or know. You can create spell slots only equal to or lower than your own spell slots, and only to a maximum of 5th level. You used the stored levels in place of the slot, but otherwise you cast the spell as you normally would.

If the rod ever becomes empty, and for some reason can not absorb spells anymore, it becomes nonmagical.
Jun 17, 2016 8:26 pm
Ütés steps forward and addresses Ruven in elvish "Any item that would help on our journey would be most appreciated."
Jun 17, 2016 8:37 pm
Ruven looks to you sideways a bit, Oh, it seems Mr. Firn is not present yet, Utes Arc, we can outfit you next, he says as he gives the gnomes another number. Soon one comes out with a metal shield and sword. The gnome presents them to you.

The Daggers saw fit that you needed new fighting gear, so you will receive these two items. The Spellguard Shield and the Vorpal Sword., he reads through his small spectacles.

The spell guard shield should provide you more protection from the arcane in all of its forms. The vorpal sword is a blade of some renown. A very lethal weapon with a penchant for beheading. You will find your most powerful hits will behead a creature that has at least one head.

As you look the items over you see the sword is a dark black metal with decorative red wrapping around the hilt and going up along both edges of the blade. The weapon looks incredibly sharp. The spellguard shield looks more ornamental than purposeful, but it would seem the ornamenting is unique and powerful. The gold shield is embedded with gems of all sort and has a large rune shape on the front of the shield.

Now, Firn, are you ready, he says, returning his eyes to the group to look for the Gensai.
OOC:
Item:
Spellguard Shield - While holding this shield you have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects, and spell attacks against you have disadvantage.

Vorpal Sword - Grants +3 on attack and damage rolls with the sword. The weapon will also ignore resistance to slashing damage.

If you roll a 20 with an attack you will instantly behead a creature with one or more heads. If losing the removed head will cause the creature to not be able to live it will instantly die. Creatures are immune to this power if they are immune to slashing damage, don't have or need a head, has a legendary action, or I decide it is too large to be so easily beheaded. Creatures you can't behead take and extra 6d8 slashing damage from the hit.
Jun 17, 2016 8:48 pm
Ütés' eyes widen as she grabs the hilt of the blade and holds it out in front of her to test the balance. "Whoooaaaa" she whispers while little out a low whistle "A beautifully crafted weapon! My most sincere thanks to you."

She grabs the shield and studies it carefully before hooking it onto her back and then turns her attention back to the sword.
Last edited June 17, 2016 8:49 pm
Jun 17, 2016 8:50 pm
As you test the blade you find it amazingly balanced and responsive to your touch and movements. It feels slightly lighter than it looks and almost immediately it feels like it becomes an extension of your own arm.
Jun 17, 2016 8:52 pm
Phina giggles as Nix twirls in her cloak. Just wait til you see what I get, she sends telepathically to you as she grins.
Jun 17, 2016 10:24 pm
Firn steps between several people, as he was all the way in the back and there was quite a crowd. "Here," he declares, edging in front.
Jun 20, 2016 2:34 am
Ruven adjusts his glasses and gives the gnomes another number. Soon one returns with a white robe that has small patches all over it. The gnome hands you the robe.

Ah, another quite interesting one. This is the Robe of Useful Items, he declares. As you unfold it and look it over you see the patches seem like depictions of various things. One has a dagger, another a horse with saddlebags. There is even one that looks like a pit.

The patches on this robe are no ordinary patches. You may remove them and they will form into whatever represented object they are. Certain ones may be placed on surfaces to make doors, windows, or pits. Others may spawn horses or mastiffs for you. Still others may have useful items for you. Once all the patches are used, the robe will be no more than a mundane white robe., he describes.

Looking over the patches you see the following patches along it:

Dagger x2
Bullseye Lantern x2 (filled and lit)
Steel Mirror x2
10-foot pole x2
Hempen Rope x2 (50' coiled)
Sack x2
Iron Door x2 (Placeable anywhere a door would normally go. Fits to opening)
Riding Horse w/ Saddlebag x2
Pit x2 (Placeable within 10 feet of you)
Window x2 (Placeable on wall within 10 feet of you)
2 Mastiffs x2
Row Boat x1
4 Potions of Healing x1
OOC:
Item:
Robe of Useful Items

As an action you may remove one of the patches and it will become whatever the patch represents. Once all patches are removed the Robe reverts to a mundane robe.
Jun 20, 2016 2:35 am
Aelar, will you please step forward next, he says as he gives the gnomes another number to retrieve.
Jun 20, 2016 1:36 pm
Aelar steps forward, excited to see what he gets.
Jun 20, 2016 1:54 pm
The gnome emerges holding a small hilt to a sword. It's all of the handle and hilt of a sword, but it seems to lack a blade. He hands it to you quite gingerly.

Ruven flips a few pages of his tome as you look at what only looks like part of a weapon. Here we are, the Sun Blade. It seems like a basic sword hilt to a long sword, this actually in fact contains a blade of pure sunlight. A very light and agile blade made of pure radiant sunlight.

As you hold the hilt you feel something like had been described with Utes' circlet. It's like a switch inside your mind that you can reach out and pull. When you do so the blade suddenly forms from the hilt. It glows brightly, shining light bright light within 15 feet of you. Just with your mind you are able to brighten and dim the blade. You can also disengage it with the same method you ignited it with.

This is a very radiant blade that deals damage with radiance instead of slashing. Particularly suited against the Undead, he reads from the book.

It looks like the last one is Phina, will you step forward. It's not often we take a request, but it seems like this is an exception from the higher ups, he says as he gives the gnome another number.
OOC:
Item:
Sun Blade

If grasping the hilt you can use a bonuse action to cause a blade of pure brilliance to spring into existance, or make the blade disappear. While the blade exists this is a longsword with the finesse property.

You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this weapon which deals radiant damage instead of slashing damage. When you hit an undead with it the target takes an extra 1d8 radiant damage.

The swords luminous blade emits bright light within 15-feet and dim light for an additional 15-feet. The light is sunlight. While the blade exists you can use an action to expand or reduce the radius of light by 5 feet to a max of 30 feet and a minimum of 10 feet.
Jun 20, 2016 2:04 pm
Phina jumps excitedly as she runs up in front of the group. She is hopping from one foot to the other with excitement. I've been waiting to get even a look at this. It's a tinker's dream, she says to Ruven as she waits.

Two of the gnomes emerge with something too big for either one of them to carry. It's an item about twice as big as Phina herself. They set it in front of her.

Ooooooooooooh, it's even prettier than I thought it would be, she says, running her hand along the item.

The rest of you see a large circular shaped item that forms into two long sections on the end. The form is actually vaguely reminiscent of a crab's claw, or a very wide stylized letter 'C'. In the circular shaped part you see a foggy white gem that glows faintly. The material is almost a pearlescent mauve. The construction of this item is unlike anything you have seen before. The material is smooth and polished and shimmers oddly in the light.

Phina leans in and gives the large object a hug. I have such big plans or you, she says to it softly.
Jun 20, 2016 2:13 pm
Ah, yes. Well. We will have the item loaded onto the lab car on the Sub Way, Ruven says and snaps his fingers. The two gnomes that had been straining to carry the thing shoot him a dirty look, but eventually they heft the item up and take it out of the vault room towards the back of the main hall.

Ruven watches them go and then addresses the rest of you. There is one more item you have all earned, he says and another gnome helper comes forward holding a bunch of small Electrum pins. These pins are some of the more rare, but you may be headed into quite a challenge. You may tap on these pins twice in quick succession and you will find yourself surrounded by an impenetrable barrier. This barrier will completely absorb the next blow dealt to you by any source. Of course this takes a lot of power to do so this will only work 1 time every 24 hours.
OOC:
Item:
Electrum Dagger's Pin

As an action you may tap on the pin twice. This will surround you in a nearly invisible magic barrier that will completely absorb the next source of damage that would hit you. The pin will recharge this ability every day at midnight.
Jun 21, 2016 2:04 pm
I hug the rod, while eagerly watching what sort of items the others are given. When I'm given the pin I look over it and note it's similarities and differences to the other pins I've seen the Daggers wear. "This is most helpful indeed!"
Jun 21, 2016 2:12 pm
Ruven looks over the group one more time. I believe Samuel and the Subteranean Waystation Conductor, Thorne, will be waiting for you at the back of the main hall, though feel free to ready yourselves in whatever way you see fit before you go.

He looks back down to his books and goes back to his work of categorizing items with his gnome helpers.
OOC:
If you want to do any last minute shopping or anything, you are free to head on over to the store. When everyone is ready they can make their way to the Sub Way station.
Jun 21, 2016 3:54 pm
Firn returns to his room to see about wearing the robe nicely over his armor (or vice versa, confound these complicated clothes), and spends some time rearranging his gear.
Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm
OOC:
Again, the Robe of Useful Items says 'robe', but it is much more like a cloak. So you just wear it over your armor.
Jun 21, 2016 4:01 pm
Firn seems satisfied with how he's arranged the garment over his equipment... for all of five seconds. Another round of recalibrations are made.
Jun 21, 2016 4:34 pm
Aelar will look into purchasing some better armor, a suit of studded leather (or something magical, if it's available)
Jun 21, 2016 4:50 pm
Aelar
As you enter the shop just off the main hall you hear a small bell jingle and look up to see a small bell floating up near the top of the door. It seems to hang in the air, suspended by nothing. As you step in the bell pushes the door back to closed and then floats a few inches away from it.

Ah, a customer, a female voice comes from the near the back of the shop. The light is dim in here, only a few candles seem to light the entire shop. They give an ambient light, but you can't quite see the figure that makes the sound. You hear some feet shuffle across the stone floor and soon see a shape emerge. An old woman in a fine fur with ornate earrings sniffs the air as she nears. Her eyes are glazed white. Ah, a young one. Handsome too I bet, she says with a cackle.

Welcome to my shop, I am Esmerelda, what can I help you find?, she asks as she seems to glide closer to you and wraps her thin frail arms around yours. You feel her squeeze your arm a bit and she smiles. You get the idea she can't see, yet she moves with a grace around the shop which is packed to the rafters with items.
OOC:
Seriously you guys, I got NPCs for days.
Jun 21, 2016 4:53 pm
I go in search of another fancy robe to add to my collection. Perhaps one in green, or blue?
OOC:
Time for a shopping montage!
Last edited June 21, 2016 4:55 pm
Jun 21, 2016 6:05 pm
Xadira

You inquire around and find that the Dagger's actually have a seamster in the merchants hall, the way Aelar had gone off to. You find the shop and enter. It's a well lit and lavishly decorated space with tall ornate full length mirrors arranged around a staging area for altercations. There is a very well-dressed high-elf here. He has a well tailored vest over pinstriped purple shirt and pants that seem the perfect shade of green to compliment both the vest and the shirt.

As you enter he looks to you, gives you a smile and nods, then goes back to finishing with his current customer. You look and see a familiar face. Xalph is the customer and he accepts a wrapped parcel from the high-elf. He turns and nearly bumps into you, turning a bright shade of red almost immediately. Oh, Xadira, I uh... was just coming to find you. I uh..., he stammers out. He fiddles with the parcel in his hand which is wrapped with a decorative linen and tied with a brilliant blue ribbon.

I remembered you were leaving today so I uh... I..., he says searching for words. He sucks in a deep breath and finally spits it out, I wanted to give you this, for the road. I thought someone as lovely and fashionable as you would love such a thing, he says quickly as he shoves the parcel into your arms awkwardly.

Upon opening it you see an ornately decorated robe. However the robe itself is an ungainly color of orange that you are entirely certain would clash with just about anything and everything else you own. The best description of the color is a Burnt Mud color. You can easily tell just by eyeing the garment that it will be about a size too small as well. You would end up looking like you were poured into this thing.

He eyes you expectantly as you look over this trainwreck of an outfit. A smile is wide across his face.
Jun 21, 2016 6:30 pm
Aelar grins at the compliment, "Yes, I am actually quite handsome, thank you! I'm just in need of some better armor, these rags have seen better days,"
Jun 21, 2016 7:39 pm
Ah, armor for such a strapping young lad as yourself. Not to worry, not to worry. Right this way, deary, she says as she weaves her way through the store. Even with the grace you have you are unsure how she manages to move so swiftly through such a small crowded store. Soon you find yourself looking at a small shelf and wall display showing a very ornately decorated piece of studded leather armor. It is rimmed with a few nice looking stitches and embedded gems along the collar line.

Here is an armor worthy of an adventurer such as yourself. A mere 150 gold and it is yours, You can also see more worn and used looking studded leather hidden below in stacks. You are pretty sure you could get the same protection with less flare for a better price.
OOC:
Would you like the fancy stuff for 150 GP, or the standard plain stuff for 45 GP?
Jun 21, 2016 7:46 pm
Aelar's eyes light up on seeing the beautiful armor before him, "You've got yourself a deal!" he says. Being a performer, he wants to look as presentable as possible when he can.
OOC:
Going fancy!
Last edited June 21, 2016 7:46 pm
Jun 21, 2016 7:52 pm
Aye, a man of good taste to boot, she throws back her head in a cordial laugh as she runs her hand along your chest. She swiftly removes the armor from the wall display and hands it to you. Tell me, lovely, is there anything else I can get you into today?, she adds with a grin and a wink. You are entirely sure she is blind yet she seems to look right at you when she winks.
OOC:
Want to buy anything else? Or are you looking for anything else in particular?
Jun 21, 2016 8:04 pm
Aelar looks around to make sure no one else is around, then leans in to whisper, "I could use a ring... Perhaps one enchanted for protection in some way. Either way, it must be beautiful, fit for a princess!"
Jun 21, 2016 8:56 pm
"Hello! How very nice to see you again! I...oh, why thank you!" At his insistence, I take the parcel and look it over, both baffled and speechless as I hold it up to myself. "Are you sure this is meant for me?" This is... an unusual custom. I've never seen such a color in garment form! Am I now meant to buy him a garment in exchange? As these and several other thoughts are being processed at once, I attempt to discern meaning in the type and style of the filigree outlining the seams of the robe.

Rolls

(Art) History? - (1d20+8)

(18) + 8 = 26

Jun 21, 2016 9:07 pm
Xadira
As well versed as anyone in such robes you notice something in the ornate stitching. This style is rather expensive to purchase. The detailing is incredibly fine, it's almost a shame that such a miserably color befalls such beautiful work. This was clearly crafted by a rather talented elven seamstress. You are sure this could be upwards of 300-400GP at minimum to purchase.

The other thing that strikes you is that you've read some on the custom of gift exchanging between men and women. Despite your experience with it in the past you get the sensation that this gift is being given to you in some form of courting ritual. No doubt he has purchased an item he would consider flashy or expensive and presented it much as birds display flashy and colorful feather patterns to attract a mate as well. Though he seems to have no real concept of what colors are good ones.

So, he says, drawing the word out a bit, do you like it? He watches you expectantly. Though you may be unaware of what the customary rebuttal to this gesture could be. From your past reading on these types of exchanges they often mention things of dowries, exchanges of sheep, asking of a father for a hand in marriage. The history is all over the board on this exchange. Who knows what he wants in return.
Jun 21, 2016 9:15 pm
Aelar
Esmerelda leans back in mock surprise. Oh, but brave sir, we've only just met, she says and tosses her head back in another bout of jovial laughter. Come, come this way, she says and leads you to another corner of the shop that sparkles of small mundane rings. Most of them look like standard bronze or copper bands. Very cheap material. The ones with gems are rather unimpressive for the most part.

Don't mind this drivel, she says as she moves behind the display area and unlocks a small cabinet, that stuff is for peasants. Not an adventurer so straping as yourself, no doubt your lady is the only gem that will outshine any ring. She pulls out a small pad with only 3 rings on it. These are the real deal. One sparkles with a brilliant large diamond. The second is a deep red solid ruby, the last is a solid piece of milky green jade. The ornamental detailing on these is incredible.

Around the band of the red ring you see decorative roses that twist around each other for the length of the band. The diamond ring has a series of 's' curls that interlock to form the band. The jade ring is a band of solid gold that is ringed in runes for peace and prosperity.

These. These are the rings fit for a princess, she says. The color of the rings sparkle in her blank white eyes. For a moment it looks as though she has eyes of brilliant green and red. A pittance for royalty at 2500 gold each.
Jun 21, 2016 9:21 pm
Aelar makes a show of looking the rings over for a while, before speaking, "I'll give you 1,800 for the diamond ring," he says, hoping that it's enough, since it's all he has.
Jun 21, 2016 9:31 pm
Esmeralda thinks this offer over for a moment. I'm sorry, she says after a good long pause, These rings are one of a kind. Their craftsmanship is that fit for a king or queen. I could let them go for no less than 2000. I'm sorry, deary.

At that moment you hear a voice behind you...
Jun 21, 2016 9:35 pm
You really do plan to make an honest lady out of her, don't you, Eagin asks as he crossed to where you stand. He looks down at the diamond ring and back up to you. He draws a small pouch of gold from his belt and hands it to you. I think this will be more than enough, but you must promise to care for her. If you don't, then remember I am the best dagger thrower you know.

He smiles at you, claps you on the back of the leg, since he can't reach your shoulder, and he turns and walks out from the store.
OOC:
There is 800 gold in the pouch after you open it.
Jun 21, 2016 9:38 pm
Aelar smiles at his mentor, "I do, as a matter of fact, and I promise I'll pay you back double for this!" He waves away the 'threat' as idle. With his plans, he won't ever have to test it.
Jun 21, 2016 9:38 pm
"This should be enough, right?" he says, handing over 2,000 gold
Last edited June 21, 2016 9:39 pm
Jun 21, 2016 9:43 pm
Indeed, a ring fit for a princess, she says, still watching the door where Eagin left.

The only thing as strong as love is family, it must be good to know you have both in abundance, she says as she puts the other rings away. She gives you a small box for the ring.

Anything else for you, brave adventurer?, she asks with a smile.
Jun 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Happy with her purchase of splint mail armor earlier in the day and still eager to put her new blade to the test Ütés simply wanders about the outside of the shops as others go about the business.
Jun 21, 2016 9:52 pm
Utes
You window shop idly, not really looking at much in particular. After you see Aelar enter a general goods shop, and see Xadira enter the tailors, you see one more thing of note. It's Green, the front desk gnome from the Daggers. He scurried along the street muttering to himself. He seems to be heading back past the end of the merchant hall. The only things you overhear him mutter are the words 'monstrosity', and something about not being paid enough for this.
Jun 21, 2016 9:54 pm
Intrigued Ütés yells out to the gnome, "Something I may be able to help with?"
Jun 21, 2016 9:58 pm
Green jumps at the sudden call, Oh. Uh. Ular? Right? Actually, there might be. You see as we are connected to Neverwinter we are also connected to the sewer system. It allows us to move around the city in secret. Well those tunnels sometimes find themselves filled with undesirable things. We've heard tell of something crawling around the east tunnel. Usually it just turns out to be rats, but once again I'm called on to do the job nobody wants. Would you mind escorting me to the east tunnel, it's just up ahead. I'm sure it is nothing though.
Jun 21, 2016 10:09 pm
Ular mumbles with a chuckle. It's not the worst pronunciation of her name that she's ever heard, after all, Close enough.

"I'd be happy to offer my help. Lead the way!"
OOC:
I was half-tempted to do the old "piss-off, gnome, I'm waiting on my friends" but that's not really Ular's style.
Jun 21, 2016 10:21 pm
I feel a blush creeping up on me. "It's quite a fine robe, truly, although a very strange color and in a size that is a bit too snug, but the design and quality is impeccable. Even so, I cannot accept this! This level of gift exchanging is not appropriate at this point in time. We've known one another for but a moment and I'm not familiar with these customs. I do not wish to rush into any sort of arrangement that neither of us is prepared for. I still have so much to learn, to study... my books..." Panic. Mild panic. This is strange, unfamiliar territory. Perhaps I should leave. I look towards the exit and consider how quickly I could run. I still have my cape. I quickly consider my options.
Jun 21, 2016 10:23 pm
Aelar
Well, that's okay, I underst...wait, you will?, he asks, quite surprised by your reticence to help. It's just up here

He leads you down to the end of the market hall and you see an iron gate that he unlocks and enters. The tunnel starts out fair enough. He lights a torch and it seems just like a hidden passage. Soon you start to smell something a little rank in the air. You remember that he did say sewer system.

After heading down this tunnel a ways it finally opens up to an intersection of tunnels. A small 15' by 15' cavern that connects into 3 other tunnels. A small channel of water cuts down each of the three tunnels and the smell is absolutely horrid. You see Green has covered his mouth and nose with a small square of cloth. He hands you one as well.

The reports came from around here, look around see if you can find anything, he says as he moves around to check out the space.
Jun 21, 2016 10:34 pm
Taking the cloth Ütés quickly places it to her face with her left hand and rests her right on the hilt of her blade. "I've been in nicer sewers" she states in a serious tone. "I'll look off to the left, don't get too far away."

Normally in a situation such as this Ütés would crouch down a bit to help conceal herself, but not wanting to get any closer to the source of the smell she moves ahead slowly, while standing as tall as possible.
OOC:
She'll move down the left tunnel about 20' and have a peek around.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Stealth [Disadvantage] - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

1d20+2 : (13) + 2 = 15

Jun 22, 2016 5:11 pm
You make your way over to the left tunnel and Green moves to the right tunnel. You investigate down a bit, not doing a very good job of being silent with your new armor, but you eventually notice something. A small amount of ash scraped across the ground. Looking up you see what looks like a darkened area where maybe a smoke trail may have went. There is even a scent. Almost entirely masked by the scent of the sewer, but you still pick it up just faintly. It smells as though a small fire was here recently.

This is obviously a small campfire that had been made up, and hurriedly destroyed and hidden. Nearby you even find some loose cloth that looks to a normal person like a pile of refuse, but you see it had been laid out as a form of makeshift bedroll. One of a very small nature.

You suddenly hear a shout from back the way you came and hear a tell tale sign of a magical spell going off.
Jun 22, 2016 5:41 pm
Xadira

An uncomfortably long silence ensues. Oh...you don't...oh..., he says, visibly deflating with every word. If you say anymore you think he may just flatten completely. I just.. uh... thought maybe... I mean... yes... books..., he says.

He takes the opened gift back and looks at you one more time, opening his mouth to say something, but not sure what to say back either. After a brief moment, a moment that seems to last at least 3 eternities he moves quickly past you and rushes out of the store without another word.
OOC:
You are now free to do whatever you want in the shop. The crippling social situation is resolved as only a historian and scholar could resolve it. Awkwardly.
Jun 22, 2016 6:00 pm
Relieved, I take a moment to catch my breath before approaching the seamster. "Good day to you! I am in search of fine robes in a shade or green or blue. Or perhaps turquoise. Do you have anything in that color palate?"
Jun 22, 2016 6:44 pm
The elf looks you up and down. Well, finally they bring me someone of some taste around here. Normally I get to design plain brown robes, one just like the last. The last guy that just bought something chose the most awful and dreary orange color I've ever seen before.

He pauses and thinks for a moment. I think I have just the thing. Something to really bring out your eyes, he says as he leads you by the arm to the fitting area. You see dresses, tunics, and robes of all sorts. The colors are magnificent and the craftsmanship is quite ornate and detailed. He gestures at the wall of clothes, Tsk. I've designed so much and it will probably never see the light of day around here. These agents wouldn't know style if it stabbed them through with a longsword.

He grabs some measurements and brings forth robes of exquisite nature that span from a deep blue, to a deep green, as well as turquoise that is truly beautiful. These are some of my best. You will find no better in all of the Sword Coast. Only 800 gold each.
Jun 22, 2016 9:48 pm
"Green!" Ütés mumbles as she makes haste back the way she came. She'll stop at the edge of the right tunnel and see if there are any signs of Green. If not, she'll continue down the tunnel to look for him.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Jun 22, 2016 9:54 pm
As you make it back to the connecting chamber to these paths you see Green hunched over and puffing. Around him lie about 10 kobolds, some singed by fire, one twitches are electricity crackles from his skin. A few more have been badly mangled. All of them lie dead.

Well, nice of you to show up, he huffs out as he catches his breath.
Jun 22, 2016 10:10 pm
"Doesn't look like my assistance was needed!" Ütés says, thoroughly impressed at the site before her. "Well done!"

After taking a few moments to look over the corpses she tells Green what she has found, "Someone has been down here recently, found evidence of a camp site not too far in the other direction. If you're done here, perhaps you can accompany me."
Jun 22, 2016 10:32 pm
"My word, these pieces are simply stunning! Perhaps a coordinated set is in order. But where do I begin?" I peruse the shades of blue, pouring over the detailing on each article of clothing. Do I want the classical or neo-classical style, tailored, structured, free-flowing? I shake my head, unable to decide. "I believe that I am lacking in turquoise in my limited wardrobe. Yes, turquoise it is. As for style, the options are simply overwhelming! Perhaps I should defer to your professional expertise?"
Jun 23, 2016 2:46 am
Utes
A campsite you say? And these as well...this is unusual. Kobolds are not native to this region, and have never been found in the city sewers before, he ponders for a moment as he catches his breath. Yes, let's go see this campsite of yours, he says and follows you off to the other sewer.

As you look over the campsite you lead him to he silently ponders on it for a moment or two. You both hear at the same time a skittering sound further down the tunnel, and what sounds like small whispering voices.
Jun 23, 2016 1:39 pm
Realizing there is still some time left for exploring after the group receives their items from Ruven, Nix turns to Phina curiously. "What WAS that thing? A tinker's dream, you say? No, don't tell me, lemme guess!" Nix scrunches up her face as she tries to picture what her tinker friend might wish for. "I know, a travelling workshop! No, wait, a tool that changes into the shape you want! No, a flying backpack! Oh, oh, oh, a mechanical, two-man, submersible with retractable lobster pincers!"
Last edited June 23, 2016 2:55 pm
Jun 23, 2016 1:58 pm
Xadira
Vasalis looks you over a bit. Lifting your arm, putting it back. He brushes your hair back a bit and looks over your face. Hmmm... I think I have something in mind.

He works for a while pinning up the turquoise and soon he creates something akin to a mix between a sundress and a robe. The shoulders are open, with cloth wrapping your upper arm. The neckline swoops, but modestly, and is rimmed with very decorative threading. The waist is tied with another cloth used as a sort of belt and then the bottom splits out in four overlapping sections. When standing it looks much like a dress, but when you move you don't find yourself hampered in your movements either. You get the feeling that, though this robe looks decorative, it would also definitely not slow you down if things get hectic.

He seems to be assembling this as he goes and yet within the span of less than an hour you are in a finished garment. The stitching, the decorative threading. His hands expertly craft them all with incredible speed and dexterity. Standing back and looking in the mirror the robe is absolutely dazzling. It's both pretty, yet distinguished. It compliments your figure, but doesn't try to show anything off in that sort of way. This is a robe that is just...you.

So, what do you think, he says as he smooths out some of the material and stands back to look it over.
OOC:
This robe is so expertly crafted you think it would easily add +2 to any charisma check you might ever need to do.
Jun 23, 2016 2:00 pm
Nix

Phina grins at you. Nuh uh. No spoiling the surprise, she giggles. Then she taps you on the head, and you hear in your mind, And no cheating!

I'll meet you down at the train, she says and skips off after the gnomes that are carrying the strange object.
Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Lacking any need for anything else beyond his personal belongings, Firn makes his way to the Sub Way Station.

Unfortunately, he gets lost in the complex and needs to ask for directions. He looks to flag the first person he sees for assistance.
Jun 23, 2016 4:09 pm
After Phina leaves Nix wonders if he still has time to grab a second breakfast before she has to meet the others at the Sub Way. Skipping along, she heads for the mess hall, and nearly runs into the water genasi. "Hey Firn! You wanna grab a bite before we head to the Sub Way?"
Jun 23, 2016 4:12 pm
I stare at myself in the mirror. I can't remember the last time I saw my reflection. I look myself, but different. I stand a little straighter. Yes, this will do. "Thank you, Vasalis. I don't know what to say. Which is unlike me, I assure you. It's perfect. I do hope I have enough to cover the cost of this exquisite garment. If not, I will have to place a deposit now and return at a later date with the remaining balance." Perhaps I'll have enough then to buy another robe, perhaps in fuchsia...
Jun 23, 2016 4:13 pm
Firn looks over the bubbly gnome for a bit. "Didn't you already eat?" he sincerely asks.
Jun 23, 2016 4:22 pm
Xadira
Vasalis looks you over, impressed even with his own work. Oh, there is no way I could possibly charge for this. You have no idea how long it has been since I've gotten to create something truly beautiful such as this. You see a genuine smile across his face as he admires his own handywork.

The only thing I ask is you come back safely from whatever mission you are headed off too so I may design for you again. If I have to design another plain brown robe I will go absolutely crazy.
OOC:
He gives you the robe for no charge. As stated earlier the robe is so exquisite you will be granted +2 on all Charisma based checks when wearing it.

Best part is if you had taken the gift of a robe offered to you, the color was so terrible you would have been -1 to Charisma checks while wearing it. :)
Jun 23, 2016 4:24 pm
Nix looks up at Firn. "But that was almost two hours ago!" she adjusts her new star-patterned cloak. "FINE...I've packed some pies for the road anyway. I guess you're excited to get going. Well so am I, to be honest. Let's go to the Sub Way then!" Nix leads the way, talking animatedly the whole way. "Is it true you can breathe underwater like a fish? I hear fish scales look different and shiny-like underwater...does your skin shine like that too? Do you have scales? Do you swim underwater or do you just walk like you were on land? Do you ever get thirsty?..."
Jun 23, 2016 4:33 pm
"Yes," answers Firn, though truth be told, the genasi found it difficult to follow along and only caught the last question.
Jun 23, 2016 7:02 pm
"Thank you! It seems you are correct- your gifts are wasted here! This will need to be remedied. I will tell everyone I come across of your skills. Members, of course. Surely, there are others who appreciate form, function, and style in equal measure! Perhaps there are covert reconnaissance missions that will require custom-tailored articles? Well, in any case, I thank you again and look forward to seeing more of your creations!" I give him a curtsy before heading out in search of the others.
Jun 24, 2016 1:35 am
Tilting her head towards the direction of the sound Ütés motions to Green to continue on. Despite the smell she crouches down and does her best to move quietly towards the sound, occasionally looking back to make sure Green is with her.

Rolls

Stealth (Disadvantage) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+2 : (1) + 2 = 3

Perception (Trying to make out the whispering) - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Jun 24, 2016 2:34 pm
Utes
You make your way, quite loudly, towards the sounds further down the tunnel. Green follows close behind, giving up any semblance of stealth since you are making enough noise for the both of you. As you follow the tunnel you can catch snippets of the voices. There is at least two.

Gork, we should go...

GO! GORK NEVER RUN! We kill people who invade our sewers. These Gork's sewers now!

We no here to take seweres...

You want give up sewer...shhh...you hear that?

The voices hush as you draw nearer and soon find yourself on the edge of another tunnel intersection. The voices seemed to come from inside, but you can't see who is speaking without entering the area.
Jun 24, 2016 2:41 pm
Xadira
Once you leave the tailor shop you see Green and Utes as they are disappearing down some passage at the end of the Market Hall. You could follow after them, they might have a lead on you. At the same time the other direction you see Nix skipping along talking Firn's ear off as they head down to the Sub Way station.

What do you want to do?

Aelar
When you finally leave the goods shop with your new purchases you come out a little while after Xadira, so you only see Eagin heading down past the Market Hall to the Sub Way station.
Jun 24, 2016 3:00 pm
"Eagin, wait up, I'll walk with you," Aelar says when he sees his mentor. Once he's caught up he slows his pace to match the shorter stride of his halfling friend, "You ready for this? I understand its been a while since you've been on a mission like this?"
Jun 24, 2016 3:11 pm
Curiousity piqued, I follow after Green and Ütés.
Jun 24, 2016 3:17 pm
Aye, I'm ready. No offense but the troupe can be kind of boring sometimes. You know there were times when we were performing I would sneak out in the night to take out a local bandit lord. Made it back before any of you even woke up. Went on to perform the next day, he says as he straightens up and walks with a confident stride.

Are you ready? You know, there's no shame in backing out, he says with a sudden serious tone, You have to remember, every mission has a possibility of not coming home. Not coming back...to her. Are you sure you're ready for that chance?, he says as he looks up at you, deadly serious.
Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm
Xadira
As you follow the tunnel you saw the two disappear down the seem to be making some good time on you and suddenly there is a smell in the air. Foul odor that already makes your eyes water. As you try to progress past it you see some light up ahead. It looks almost like a clearing. Suddenly you hear the sound of spells firing see flashes of light ahead. It's still maybe 40 feet off, but something is happening up ahead.
Jun 24, 2016 3:24 pm
Aelar nods grimly, "I owe Utes this much, at least. Without her help I never would have gotten you all back. I made a vow to her that I would save her prince, and I will not fail."
Jun 24, 2016 3:26 pm
Nix and Firn
As the first two to arrive you see Samel is in the large chamber that has large rounded tunnels cut on either end of it, and a set of strange metal rails runs from tunnel to tunnel. On the tracks you see something quite unusual. It is a gigantic cart of sorts, or a series of them. There are 5 carts in all attached to a large metal cart. Each one looks to be 40 feet long and 15 feet high. The first one, the metal one, is releasing large puffs of steam from the sides. It's a monstrosity of metal and machinery that you don't quite understand.

The next 4 carts have glass windows along side and doors that slide open along the side. The last one looks similar, only all of the windows have been blacked out, this is the one Phina had mentioned being her lab car.
OOC:
You're looking at a train, in case that wasn't clear.
Samuel is currently near the metal car talking to what appears to be a large ratman. Waiting in this large chamber is also a small grouping of armed soldiers who are currently at ease playing some card games and awaiting the arrival of the rest of the group.

Phina is nearby helping the gnomes put the device she received into her lab car.
Jun 24, 2016 3:28 pm
I continue forward, looking for the source of the spellcasting as well as the nature of the spells being cast. Perhaps we are in some kind of training area?

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Arcana? - (1d20+8)

(6) + 8 = 14

Jun 24, 2016 3:34 pm
Xadira
Once you get to where the magic was being cast you don't see anyone here. Just the bodies of 10 kobolds that look like they were hit with all sorts of elemental magic. You see fire, electricity, ice. Definitely recent signs of a magical fight. You don't seem to see any that had taken any sword strikes or anything of that nature.

You hear the clattering of someone walking in armor down the left-hand tunnel from where you are. The smell is absolutely horrible here.
Jun 24, 2016 3:36 pm
Aelar
And I have made a vow of my own, she is like a sister to me. I have already told her I will do all in my power to bring you back safely. So let's go, get the job done, and come back alive, alright?, he says as he keeps walking with you.

Soon you find yourself arriving at the Sub Way station and seeing the same scene that Nix and Firn have just discovered.
Jun 24, 2016 3:50 pm
I continue a few steps towards the left tunnel, then stop for a moment and attempt to fill the area closest to the tunnel with the smell of my favorite type of lemon tea. It doesn't remove the horrible smell completely, but it's better than nothing. I then pick up my pace down the tunnel.
OOC:
Prestidigitation air freshener
Jun 24, 2016 4:03 pm
Firn has stopped listening to Nix as soon as the train was revealed. Of all the subversions of the natural world present within a city, this surely demonstrates the mortal desire to control the environment. The druid can only stand in shock and awe at the unbelievable monstrosity before him, and he instinctively flinches at each burst of escaping steam.
Jun 24, 2016 5:57 pm
Nix goggles at the contraption and starts clambering about, poking things and peering in through the windows. She starts peppering Samuel with endless questions. "Are we riding in that? Are those wheels? Is this going to be pulled by horses? How fast does it go? What's the steam for? What time is lunch?..."
Jun 24, 2016 10:50 pm
No point in delaying the inevitable

Arming her shield and drawing her new sword Ütés whispers to green, "They know someone is down here. Let's make them think it's just me." With an awkward wink she stands tall and walks into the middle of the intersection.

In her best 'damsel-in-distress' voice, which isn't very good, she calls out, "Help me! I'm lost!"
OOC:
AC of 20 with the shield
Last edited June 29, 2016 2:43 am
Jun 27, 2016 3:04 pm
Utes
You step out into the clearing doing your best damsel in distress voice. You see just outside a tunnel across from you a small kobold soldier. He is ready with a bow and arrow drawn on you. Next to him is who you could only guess to be Gork. A slightly larger kobold that holds a crooked scimitar and rides upon a giant lizard.

Who are you, why have you trespassed in Gork's sewers?, the mounted kobold asks, clearly referring to himself.
OOC:
Utes, give me a deception check with disadvantage. Considering you have a sword and shield drawn, and are in full armor, it may be hard to bluff a damsel in distress. I'm going to roll an intelligence check for Gork against your roll to see if he can see past your lie.
Xadira
You move down the tunnel towards the sounds you hear and find Green standing in the tunnel looking into another small clearing. Looking past him you see Utes' confronting two kobolds. One is riding a very large lizard. Green motions for you to be quiet.

Rolls

Gork Intelligence Check - (1d20-1)

Jun 27, 2016 10:16 pm
"Please tell Gork to forgive me. I've simply become lost and, uh, found this shield and sword along the way. Can you help me get out of here?"

Even Ütés is tiring of playing the damsel and she tightens the grip on her sword accordingly.

Rolls

Deception (Disadvantage) - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (14) + 1 = 15

1d20+1 : (17) + 1 = 18

Jun 27, 2016 10:20 pm
And your armor?, the kobold asks. He seems to be seeing through your ruse, well crafted it may have been.

I tell you what. How about Gork just kill you now and claim sword for himself? How that sound?, he asks, pointing his scimitar towards you. Gork JR could use a good meal, he adds, patting the lizard he is riding.
Jun 27, 2016 10:27 pm
"Come and get it, Dork!" Ütés says, chuckling internally at her joke, even though she realizes the creature probably won't appreciate the subtle word play.
OOC:
Circlet of Mother F'ing Blasting Time!
Three rays of fire, one for each target.
EDIT: BALLS!!!
Last edited June 27, 2016 10:28 pm

Rolls

Scorching Ray #1 (Archer) - (1d20+2, 2d6)

1d20+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

2d6 : (21) = 3

Scorching Ray #2 (Gork the Dork) - (1d20+2, 2d6)

1d20+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

2d6 : (55) = 10

Scorching Ray #3 (Lizard) - (1d20+2, 2d6)

1d20+2 : (9) + 2 = 11

2d6 : (11) = 2

Jun 28, 2016 2:25 pm
Gork quickly pulls his lizard mount to the right as your circlet lets three searing rays of heat fly through the clearing, Slade, kill her!

The other kobold, Slade, rolls to the left and lets an arrow fly, having readied his shot to retaliate if you made a move.
OOC:
All three shots from the ray missed. Slade had a readied action that was triggered in your attack.

Grok looks ready to move, he used a Dodge action on his turn so attacks against him will be at disadvantage. The giant lizard moved about halfway across the area when he moved out of the way of your bolt.

Utes and Xadira may act now if they so choose. I'm not going to do a hard initiative on this, just describe out actions, and the lizards will retaliate. More just a group based initiative.

Rolls

Slade attack vs. Utes - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (13) + 4 = 17

1d6+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Jun 28, 2016 5:16 pm
At the Sub Way Station
Samuel is being peppered with questions from Nix as Firn tries to not lose his lunch over the travesty of nature before him.

As much as I would love to answer all of your question, Samuel states, clearly lying, I should defer you to the Engineer who will be piloting the Sub Way. He leads you to the ratman who has gone to work on part of the large metal engine up front. Another burst of steam billows out around him and you hear him pounding away at something metal with something metal as he is half-way inside the main engine compartment. A few curse fly out from his mouth in common as he continues to hit whatever it is he is hitting.

Thorne, Samuel calls to the ratman, Thorne, I have someone here who would like to ask you something, he says as he backs away from Nix and starts to move back further away towards the entrance.

The ratman turns to the small purple gnome. Yeah, whaddaya want?
Jun 28, 2016 5:19 pm
At the Sub Way Station

Firn turns to Samuel and, clearly uncomfortable, asks, "We go inside this thing? Like a boat?" It seems obvious he is trying to return to familiar ground, as it were.
Jun 28, 2016 5:24 pm
Firn
Samuel laughs heartily and slaps you on the back, clearly not registering your discomfort. Eh, well you do go in it. I guess you could think of it as a boat, except that it sails underground, on metal tracks on the ground, and it's driven by boiled water forced to push those wheels along. Though, I don't know many ships that sail in tunnels carved and blasted through the landscape. As you can imagine we need to keep this thing underground to keep our traveling secret.

Samuel stands and marvels at the Sub Way, clearly a source of pride for The Daggers.
Jun 28, 2016 5:28 pm
I ready myself, then take several steps forward before hurling fire at the mount. "Stop what you're doing, there!"

Rolls

Fire bolt - (1d20+8, 1d10)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d10 : (2) = 2

Jun 28, 2016 5:31 pm
At the Sub Way Station

"Okay," says Firn, more to himself. "It's like a boat." He stands there with Samuel, at a loss for what to do next.
Jun 28, 2016 10:45 pm
Sword ready, Ütés rushes the mount, taking aim for the beast's head and neck as she brings the blade down on her first strike and following with a backhand swipe with her second.

Rolls

Sword Attack #1 / Damage - (1d20+10, 1d8+7)

1d20+10 : (11) + 10 = 21

1d8+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

Sword Attack #2 / Damage - (1d20+10, 1d8+7)

1d20+10 : (18) + 10 = 28

1d8+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

Jun 29, 2016 3:24 am
As Utes charges the mount, Gork Jr., she feels a small fire mote fly past her and scorch the side of the mount slightly. You also become aware that the voice you heard sounded like Xadira.

You meet the beast and swiftly remove his head (not with special power, but more with sheer brute force). The blade is met with only the slightest of resistance. As the mount dies it's body, flips around and starts to twitch and writhe, throwing Gork. He hits the ground and rolls, coming up right next to Utes.

Gork Jr, NO!, he screams as he unleashes his scimitar at Utes.

Meanwhile, the archer kobold has already knocked another arrow and loses it at Utes as well. The two seem to work in tandem giving the archer a better shot.
OOC:
Kobold archer gets advantage on the roll because of the kobolds pack tactics.

Wow...that's a lot of 5's rolled.

It is the hero turn again.

Rolls

Gork vs Utes - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Archer (advantage) vs Utes - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d6+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Jun 29, 2016 3:36 am
I stop a good distance away from the fray, positioning myself so that I have a clear view of the archer. In a somewhat flaily motion, I send three magic missiles towards the archer, hoping to get his attention off of Ütés and onto me.

Rolls

Magic Missile- level 1 - (1d4+1, 1d4+1, 1d4+1)

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d4+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

1d4+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Jun 29, 2016 3:42 am
Three magical darts briefly light up the dark dank sewer and extinguish just as quickly on the body of the archer. He hisses in pain and staggers sideways, barely keeping his footing and his weapon in his hands.

Scathis cassar!, he hisses out in Draconic as he is readying another arrow, his focus now on the caster.
Jun 29, 2016 3:44 am
At the station

Samuel looks over to you Firn, Wonder where Utes and Xadira got off too. Figured the elf would be down here talking my ear off about the train, though I guess we have Nix for that too.
Jun 29, 2016 1:26 pm
"Hmmm... It's not like Utes to be late like this," Aelar says, "Hope everything is alright."

Aelar sits down on a bench and releases the blade of his sword to inspect it closer, far more interested in this than in the train.
Last edited June 29, 2016 1:27 pm
Jun 29, 2016 3:39 pm
At the station

"Maybe they got lost," offers Firn. His own inner thoughts attempt to backtrack his route from the station, but it quickly fades into fog.
Jun 29, 2016 6:50 pm
"Should I go find 'em? I bet I could find 'em! Maybe they're in the dining hall having second breakfast?" Nix says hopefully.
Jun 29, 2016 9:43 pm
Easily knocking Gork's scimitar to the side with her shiny new shield Ütés flinches as she sees magical darts fly towards the archer out of the corner of her eye.

"Couldn't resist getting a little dirty, eh?" she yells in Elvish to Xadira, "Glad to have your help!"

"And now for you, my ugly little friend..." she says to Gork as her blade flashes before him.
OOC:
+10 attack bonus is insanely cool!
Last edited June 29, 2016 9:44 pm

Rolls

1d20+10 : (7) + 10 = 17

1d8+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

1d20+10 : (9) + 10 = 19

1d8+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

Jun 29, 2016 9:53 pm
The blade slices through Gork's free arm like it wasn't even there. The limb flails and twitches in the air and slumps to the ground. It takes a second to register with Gork as he screams out in anger and pain, dropping his sword with a clatter he clutched his stump of an arm.

Wait, wait. Don't kill Gork. I know things!, he pleads for his life.

The archer has an arrow drawn on Xadira, but hesitates.

Gork, what you doing. They'll kill us if we talk!, the archer says, still aiming his bow at Xadira, ready to lose another arrow if she makes a move.
Jun 29, 2016 9:59 pm
Stopping in mid attack Ütés pauses for a second before responding to the kobold's plea. "Tell your archer to lower his bow. I won't ask a second time!" She raises her blade to drive home the point that she isn't bluffing.
Jun 29, 2016 10:04 pm
Gork signals his man, then returns to clutching his bleeding stump. The archer reluctantly lowers his weapon, the arrow remaining in the bow.

Gork, we shouldn't be talking to these people. He wouldn't like it, the archer says, more annoyed this time.
Jun 29, 2016 10:14 pm
"Your only chance at leaving this place alive is if you talk" Ütés announces loudly enough for the archer to hear her without taking her eyes off of the one-armed bandit.

Pointing her blade squarely at Gork's chest, "Start talking."
Jun 29, 2016 10:34 pm
Oh, thank you thank you. Gork know many things. He no want us to tell, but you very nice, you no kill us if we tell, right?, Gork asks, on his knees groveling at your feet.

Gork! They kill us either way. You fool, the archer says.
Jun 29, 2016 11:03 pm
Not comfortable having anything grovel at her feet Ütés gives the creature a quick nudge with her boot "Stand up... And keep your distance!"

"Let me make this very simple for the both of you. You talk now and we won't kill you where you stand. Any more games, or lip from that one" she motions to the archer "and the deal is off. TALK!"
Last edited June 29, 2016 11:03 pm
Jun 30, 2016 1:53 am
Oh yes, yes. You see Gork is leader. Gork knows the plan. He said no say plan, but I tell you plan. The one with the instruments. He give us plan. He promise us whole bunch of gold. All we have do is..., Gork starts to say. Then, quicker than the eye can follow it happens.

The archer draws his arrow, aims, and let's fly. You heard the feathers of the arrow ruffle momentarily then a THUNK as it buries itself deep into the head of Gork. The arrow protrudes from his eye socket with an eye pierced on the end of it. Gork lets out only a mild sigh before he crumples to the ground.

Gork is fool!, the archer shouts, knocking another arrow and drawing it to aim at Utes, You kill us if we talk or kill us if we no talk. You let us live and he kill us for talking. I rather die fighting than die a fool.

The archer lets his arrow fly at Utes and then runs down the pipe behind him (30 feet down the pipe).
OOC:
I believe at this point Utes has lost visual sight of the archer in the dark of the sewers, though I believe Xadira has darkvision and can still see him making his escape down the tunnel.

Rolls

Archer vs Utes - (1d20+4, 1d6+2)

1d20+4 : (7) + 4 = 11

1d6+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Jun 30, 2016 1:58 am
"No you don't!" Ütés yells as she gives chase through the muck. Finally catching up to the archer she lashes out at him with her sword.
OOC:
She is going to use an Action Surge to take another move action, which should be enough for her to catch him. If not, I'll rewrite the relevant part of the post.

Rolls

1d20+10 : (18) + 10 = 28

1d8+7 : (7) + 7 = 14

1d20+10 : (19) + 10 = 29

1d8+7 : (1) + 7 = 8

Jun 30, 2016 2:06 am
Utes
You catch up to the running figure, stumbling through the muck as you try to see your way in the dark. Green gives chase and casts a light spell that illuminates your target as you catch up to the fleeing archer. With two quick slashes you quarter the kobold mid-stride. He hits the ground with a Splortch as his pieces split apart. The sharpness of this sword is unparalleled.

Green catches up to you and looks over the kobold. I must relay news of this to Samuel and the high council immediately. He turns and puts the rag back over his nose and mouth to block out the smell of the sewers as he heads back. I believe you two have a train to catch, and no doubt Samuel will be there, we should go.
Jun 30, 2016 2:16 am
Swinging her blade to whip it clean of kobold blood Ütés sheaths it in a quick motion and then nods to Green. "Lead the way."
Jun 30, 2016 2:30 am
Green leads both of you back out of the sewers and into the Market Hall once again. He locks the gate closing the path to this section of the sewers. Soon you find your way down to the train station with the rest. Samuel seems surprised to see Green with you as well, you both also look fairly dirty from the sewers, except for Xadria who undoubtedly has cleaned herself several times with magic on the way to the station.

Green discusses something to the side with Samuel who gets a look of concern across his face. Samuel nods to Green and moves out to address the group.
Jun 30, 2016 2:34 am
Alright, I'll make the brief. It seems we have another pressing issue to deal with in the sewers. This Sub Way train will take you directly to Salar, it will arrive there in two days, taking a very direct route. You have a company of soldiers that will be riding in the first two cars and the third car is your bunks. The fourth car is Phina's lab. For mission security only she will have access to the car. Can't have idle hands mucking about in the workshop. I wish you all luck in your mission. Are there any other questions before you go?

He awaits any further inquiry.
Jun 30, 2016 2:56 am
Firn idly sniffs. He frowns, smells the inside of his collar, and shrugs.
Jun 30, 2016 3:35 am
"Are these carts powered by some form of high-level magic? The sheer size and weight of each cart would be extremely difficult to propel, especially at high speeds. Do you plan on... miniaturizing it in some way to lessen the load? Hmmm. Curious." I take a closer look at any visible machinery and attempt to poke and prod at it while at the same time mentally leafing through the Dagger's book of magical artifacts for any plausible explanation. Perhaps multiple artifacts make this form of travel possible?
Jun 30, 2016 2:04 pm
"Let's get this show on the road," Aelar says, eager to finish up this dangerous mission.
Jun 30, 2016 2:12 pm
Xadira
Thorne, the ratman who has been tinkering in the front metal car pops out at all of your inquiry. Nuh, ma'am. Nuh magic here. This is mostly the engineering of the gnome tinkers. They've done some incredible things with the power of steam and coal. This may be one of their most incredible yet.

Phina walks near the conversation absolutely beaming with pride.

You all soon find your way onto the train, your bunk car is not the most spacious or luxurious, but each of you has a cot and a small foot locker in case you want to store anything there. The assortment of guards fill up the first two cars after the engine. The windows provide a view, but it sounds like much of that view will be of underground tunnels as this is tunneled into the ground to keep it out of the eyes of the enemies of the Daggers.

With a sudden loud shrill call a whistle blows and you start hearing a chugging sound and loud bursts of steam as the cars start to lurch forward. It starts at a crawl, but after a few minutes the whole train has gained some speed and it seems to gain more with every passing minute. Soon it seems to be moving along faster than any cart you've ever ridden in before. You think you may even be going faster than a fast ship in the ocean.
OOC:
It's time to start the last Chapter as planned. Surprised this interlude lasted as long as it did but I had a bunch of fun running it with the new people. Let's start this train ride right! I'll be posting a new thread up probably this afternoon or tonight.

Thread locked