Episode 1c - Case HQ

Jun 7, 2016 6:56 pm
It's just another day at the office for Fenn. Another day of covering for an imbecilic council member who thinks he has Fenn just where he wants him. As usual Hoan is not yet in the office at ten o'clock, he has one of his regular "outside meetings" which don't make it into the diary. Fenn now knows that Hoan doesn't set an alarm to wake up.
Jun 8, 2016 8:26 pm
Fenn sighs and keeps up the appearance and maintains the farce since it's good for business after looking at the time again, at least this time Hoan hasn't asked him to drop a change of clothes in some seedy back alley having managed to lose most of his attire and wallet again.

Between trying to keep up appearances, stay friendly with other aids in case they want to gossip about other bosses and vent Fenn doesn't mind his job, he's basically a babysitter of sorts making sure his boss keeps his nose clean enough so he stays valuable. Having a Boss out of the office when Fenn gets in promptly each morning gives him a lot of time for 'special projects' like staying up on current bills being passed and the rest of the political scene that Hoan is too out of it to see, get a hand in, or sobering up so to foggy to figure out the schemes and back dealings. Fenn wondered how his father waded through this filth daily trying to do good in the world and made it home smiling. Since it was mentioned a few days prior it had been tugging on Fenn plus he needed a reason for being seen at the CorSec HQ facility, so he had spending his time looking into the locale news and any links to political investigations or charges that have come up in the last quarter that might even remotely be something Hoan would be nervous about being connected to. Fenn waited for his boss to show up late again but in the meantime did some research on things that seemed relevant.
Jun 8, 2016 8:33 pm
OOC:
Can you give me an easy Computer/Charm check, depending on the type of research you're doing.
Jun 8, 2016 8:43 pm
Fenn spends the better part of the morning tapping away seeing what he could find about Jallo Orum on the computer without directly search for him by looking into recent current even news and business news and various business venture he would have likely been involved with. Had his death slowed or stalled various business ventures he was in?

After a bit he'd head over tot he communal break area for aides since they weren't allowed to use the fancy machines the constantly used for their bosses. He'd putter around for a bit and see if anyone wanted to gossip about things going on.
OOC:
I'd like to try both.

Rolls

Computer Easy

2 Success, 1 Advantage, 1 Threat

Total: 2 Success

Charm Easy

2 Success, 3 Advantage, 1 Failure

Total: 1 Success, 3 Advantage

Jun 8, 2016 10:08 pm
Fenn very quickly discovered that Jallo Orum had been trying to get planning permission to develop some derelict buildings on the outskirts of Coronet City, but the application looked like it would be denied. He was reported to currently be awaiting the decision in his personal room at the Grand Paradise Hotel in Tyrena.

Later Fenn took a walk up to the fourth floor, and the staff room for aides in the planetary senate. As a city aide he knew he wasn't supposed to be up there, but nobody challenged him or even seemed to care. He got talking to a man called Race Kenau, an experienced campaign manager and currently chief-of-staff for a planetary senator, Tala Vane. Race let Fenn know that Tala was about to submit a bill allowing corporations based on Corellia, including the industries in orbit and on the moons, to be allowed to hire and fire staff much more freely than was currently allowed. Fenn feigned interest in the bill in order to befriend the man.
Jun 8, 2016 11:20 pm
Fenn tries to find out a few of the locations for these derelict buildings on the outskirts of Coronet City. Someone was probably going to fill the gap for Orum now though in a land grand Fenn thought it would be important to find out who and if possible why.

In the staff room Fenn will continue to stay engaged Race in more small talk and give some responses where appropriate to try and keep the conversation going for a bit. He will look for a moment when it would be polite to excuse himself to get back to work. This piece of information was something he wanted to look into, people getting fired would be a shopping list of possible assets. Not that he wanted the bill to go through per say but if it did they'd gain.
Jun 9, 2016 5:29 pm
OOC:
Can you roll a Difficult Charm check please? I'll get back to you about the buildings when I figure out more than the two districts of the city that I have so far. Can you think of a reasonably Corellian sounding name for a district?
Jun 9, 2016 5:48 pm
OOC:
I have Cultural Etiquette Manual for the Region(Desperate Allies p.50) so I'm at 1 Advantage to Social Checks. I figure you mean Hard since that's PPP for the difficulty or do you mean Daunting? I'd like to flip a destiny point if possible since having contact with someone on this level is pretty valuable I think to invest in.

As for a name is it Business, Industrial? I guess if it's industrial or Business, the Old [Descriptor] District since it's been abandoned, if it's overgrown with wildlife maybe a nickname like The Duracrete Groves or Garden.
EDIT: Whistle with my 1 Advantage that's a big 0 total.
Last edited June 9, 2016 5:49 pm

Rolls

Charm Hard Difficulty check

2 Success, 1 Advantage, 2 Failure, 2 Threat

Total: 1 Threat

Jun 9, 2016 5:57 pm
OOC:
The whole district isn't abandoned, just some buildings. It's mostly residential but there are some service buildings mixed in.
After Race had finished his snack he gave Fenn a friendly enough wave,

"Maybe see you around," he said.
Jun 9, 2016 6:03 pm
OOC:
Hmm Labor Valley via SWTOR.
Jun 9, 2016 6:05 pm
Fenn smiles and nods and makes his way back to work. He mentally curses himself since things didn't go well since it would have been a valuable feed of information. Granted he didn't overly burn himself but this may have been just as bad he thinks. Trying to get back into a work mode considering who he worked for he made the rest of the way back to his office prepped to get down to business.
Jun 9, 2016 6:37 pm
When Fenn got back he saw that Hoan was in his office, he seemed to be holding his head and swearing a lot.
Jun 9, 2016 7:15 pm
"Hello Sir, I take it not the best of morning outside meetings?" Fenn states trying to remain neutral, calm down his boss, and find out what's got him all stressed out.
Jun 9, 2016 7:22 pm
"Fenn! Stop being so jolly!" says Hoan inexplicably, "I have a headache, got any painkillers?"

Hoan sits back in his chair and turns around away from the bright light from the window,

"How did I let it come to this?" he moans almost imperceptibly.
Jun 9, 2016 7:33 pm
Fenn closes the door behind him and moves to his desk and unlocks and opens a drawer pulling out a box. With a small click the lid comes up and moves back still connected, he pulls out a small baggie of four disc shaped pills in various colors but unlabeled. He grabs an oversized set of shades from inside the box as well that seemed to cover a third of one's face and wrapped around one's head and places them on a tray before pouring a glass of water and depositing it and the pills on the tray. He puts away the box and relocks the desk before taking them to his boss.

"Did you want to talk about it Sir so we can figure out how to get it to go to that instead." Fenn inquired giving him the unmarked pills and shades to calm him.
OOC:
It takes a while to order aspirin in a gel coating without a label but if he's not asking I'll let him think they're whatever he wants to.
Jun 9, 2016 8:14 pm
Hoan checks that the office door is locked before saying anything,

"How do you do it?" he asks, "we killed someone! Doesn't that affect you? And they're comin'. CorSec will be at that door sooner 'n you can blink."

He takes a moment to think about this, then looks at Fenn with eyes slightly wild,

"And then we both go down! Ha, like father, like son, huh?"

It is becoming apparent that Hoan is still drunk from the night before.
Jun 9, 2016 10:49 pm
Fenn turned and looked at the door and waited before turning his attention back on his boss.

Fenn didn't know if he was purposely doing it on just that deaf to what he said. His nostrils flaired slightly looking at Hoan when the man wasn't looking at him. Was he trying to get a rise at him to push him over the brink so Fenn would burst out recklessly? He was curious about what he knew about what happened with his father though and who else was involved... no for now this man needed to live, not be strangled by Fenn, and help Fenn indirectly with his mission.

"I thought my father was arrested for embellishment? Unless you wanted to fill me in on the real story... Did he help kill someone? As for how do I deal with it well I didn't actually kill him Sir, you hit him, I tried to save him but I guess I wasn't fast enough or you really clobbered him and he had no chance. When I didn't really know what to do I asked you told me. I figure this is just what you do in these kind of situations. I guess if we don't know when they're coming we can go and find out if we're implicated in anything. If we find some cases of lower level politicians and corruption in the media maybe I can go over as part gathering information for an analysis study to find out if it's the media spinning something not really happening out of proportion, something that's rampant and they're making a task force to deal with it, or get turned away, if the request isn't very complicated granted but I go over and I'm turned away after being seen it might imply I'm under investigation or I might want to be questioned so they'll not want to compromise the investigation. Besides helping them find corrupt politicians might put the limelight someplace other than us, right? I mean unless you wanted to go over or write the paper..." he stated waiting for a response.
Jun 10, 2016 12:51 pm
Hoan looks blankly at Fenn for a few moments,

"Go. I'll make a call, they won't give you any trouble. Find out everything you can about any investigation CorSec have on Jallo. Understand? Any investigations."

He looks off into the distance again,

"I can survive this. It's what I do."
Jun 10, 2016 1:08 pm
Fenn nods understanding wondering what other skeletons Hoan has in his closet that may need to be uncovered.

For now though Fenn will do a cross reference on political scandals involving corruption in the past eighteen months in the sector, he'll also look to see if there was any mention of the properties Orum was looking into and any new about the connection he had to Russ in the news and download them to his datapad to review on the way. He'll request transportation to CorSec HQ and go to the pickup/drop off pad to wait for his ride.
Jun 10, 2016 1:41 pm
The speeder takes Fenn on to a platform on the twelfth floor of CorSec HQ, just a short walk to the records office on the tenth floor. As he steps onto the platform a female human uniformed officer approaches and motions for Fenn to accompany him,

"Mr Danodel? Sergeant Locke. I have been assigned to assist you with your enquiries. I have also been ordered to let you know that CorSec are always happy to liase with local government. If you'll come this way please."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.