Looking for GM: DnD 5e (Learning System)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 30, 2022 4:44 am
Hey, it's been an incredibly long time since I've been a player, especially for any DnD game. I've mostly been stuck GM'ing for other systems (about a decade now lol). I want to learn 5e and would feel kind of bad joining an active game that's mid-campaign as I was learning the system.

For some background, I have played 3.5 and PF 1e in the past. If a GM would prefer to run those, that's cool too. I'd prefer to learn 5e but I'm itching to play something of this style in general.

Thanks in advance!
Jul 30, 2022 3:25 pm
Most DMs welcome newbies, and they will often say so in their Games Tavern posts. I meant to point you towards a couple of the most recent offerings but it looks like they've just filled up.

I've got a few things going but if you receive no other offers, and if you're okay with a one-shot then I might be your guy. What sort of adventure are you looking for in terms of tone or setting? What sort of character do you hope to play? Do you have a preference between published adventures and homebrews? Any other specifics or preferences? Reply here or PM me, whichever you're more comfortable with.

Cheers!
Jul 31, 2022 4:09 pm
Hey, sorry to get back to you a bit late. I'll post my response here in case anyone else wants to chime in.

I'm totally fine with doing a one shot. Here are answers to your questions. To give some flexibility, I've listed top 3 preferences for tone and characters.

Tone/Setting/Themes
1) Eastern (martial arts, ninjas, samurai, etc)
2) Gothic or horror
3) Humor

If those are too specific, I'm fine with playing whatever is easiest to run..

Characters Preferences
1) Thief types
2) Clerics/healer types
3) Tanks

I don't have a preference between homebrew or published or anything in between. I'm always for whatever makes the DM's/GM's life easier.
Jul 31, 2022 4:38 pm
I’m in the market for a game as well. Could be fun to do a duo, if you’re interested.

Your tones/settings and character types align very well with my own, as a matter of fact.

Could be fun to do a pair of thieves, perhaps?
Jul 31, 2022 4:53 pm
Yeah definitely! The more the merrier. : )
Jul 31, 2022 6:29 pm
If you'd want an Eastern style setting and would be comfortable at playing with a level 6 character.
I recently got the Radiant Citadel book. Just started a campaign on it here, but basically it is a collection of one shots.

The level 6 adventure "Sins of our Elders" is very Eastern style.

https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/jttrc/GaddytVaCSBwjL0n/06-001.monsters-and-wild-beasts.png
Last edited July 31, 2022 6:31 pm
Jul 31, 2022 6:42 pm
I’d be game to join in on that!
Jul 31, 2022 6:46 pm
I'd definitely like to join too! I saw your thread but the game looked like it was full so I didn't post in it. Were you okay with more players? Don't want to overload you.
Jul 31, 2022 6:50 pm
The other game is with 5 players full at the moment and we've just kicked off.
But we started at level 1 there, so before we get to this adventure would be a while.

If we can find 1 or 2 more new people, or maybe one experienced one, we could play it.

@Jabes.plays.RPG would you be interested as well?
Jul 31, 2022 6:54 pm
@Cettish: I reached out to one of my friends who has been playing 5e for a long time. He sounds interested in joining.
Jul 31, 2022 6:57 pm
I’m quite experienced.
Jul 31, 2022 7:08 pm
Hello I'm the friend! I'm interested and pretty experienced. Currently in multiple games for 5e and have previously been a DM.
Jul 31, 2022 7:31 pm
Cool. Sending out some invites. Could use one more though.

@Jabes.plays.RPG dunno if you are interested but invited you anyway. Feel free to join or decline :)
Last edited July 31, 2022 7:40 pm
Jul 31, 2022 7:39 pm
I can maybe get one more
Jul 31, 2022 7:51 pm
Feel free to let them apply for the game or send me their name.
Jul 31, 2022 8:33 pm
Ok. I sent him the link. I imagine he will apply directly.
Aug 1, 2022 5:41 am
@Lvl99_GreaseWizard @Spartachris I would've been happy to run a martial-arts horror comedy one-shot, though D&D 5e is probably not the best system for that. Anyway it looks like @Cettish has got you folks covered. In fact I think I'll join you! 😀
Aug 1, 2022 5:59 am
*Looks on, quietly jealous of how easy recruitment is for 5e games...*
Aug 1, 2022 12:15 pm
nezzeraj says:
*Looks on, quietly jealous of how easy recruitment is for 5e games...*
there's always a longer queue for players wanting to play 5e than DMs available to run it :D
Aug 1, 2022 4:51 pm
Hi all!
I played 3,5ed several years ago, also did some DMing back then... it's been too long without some action!
I'd also love to learn some 5ed, so if there is still a place for a new player, or you are thinking on creating a new one, please do count me in.
Good hunting,
Cathamber
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.