[Interest?] Shadows and Ash

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedThere and Back AgainPrivate3 / weektibbius
Setting: https://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html The wars of succession in the Northlands somehow spread back into the South, and after five years of strife and turmoil, the once-rich lands are devastated. Disenrolled soldiers roam as bandits, vampires and demons stalk the land, and the people huddle to the towns and castles and temples in fear of what was unleashed in the power struggles between those same places.

Rules: https://rayotus.itch.io/taba - particularly the Take Courage mechanic I think will prove appropriate to this setting.

Scenario: You are a group of refugees, who have banded together in trying to survive. You wander the land in search of a refuge, trying to stave off starvation and bandits. If you're lucky, you might raise enough coin to gather and equip a militia, who could help you to secure whatever holt you can find.

Aug 29, 2022 7:03 pm
This is a mashup that has been a while in conception and will gestate a bit more before I launch it. Looking for interest now.

Setting: https://dwarfstar.brainiac.com/ds_barbarianprince.html The wars of succession in the Northlands somehow spread back into the South, and after five years of strife and turmoil, the once-rich lands are devastated. Disenrolled soldiers roam as bandits, vampires and demons stalk the land, and the people huddle to the towns and castles and temples in fear of what was unleashed in the power struggles between those same places.

Rules: https://rayotus.itch.io/taba - particularly the Take Courage mechanic I think will prove appropriate to this setting.

Scenario: You are a group of refugees, who have banded together in trying to survive. You wander the land in search of a refuge, trying to stave off starvation and bandits. If you're lucky, you might raise enough coin to gather and equip a militia, who could help you to secure whatever holt you can find.
Aug 30, 2022 3:25 am
I'd be interested. Sounds challenging and fun. Gotta go over the rules though, this is new territory for me.

Edit for character idea: Story-telling Dwarven Fighter, Talayan Stoneback "Don't forget what once was and don't loose sight of what it can become."
Last edited August 30, 2022 7:47 am
Aug 30, 2022 5:02 am
Taciturn Human Skinchanger(Read Berserker)

Some are tainted by the shadow, some recognize shadow is a form of the light.
Aug 30, 2022 7:07 am
Eldarenth Finharn, Meditative Elf Monk of the Silver Moon Monastery

'This world seems to be looking to regain its balance, petty political conflicts damage the land greatly.' If the system allows for skills, he also knows about hunting and healing.

*Also new to this setting and rules, but willing to learn*
Aug 30, 2022 8:14 am
Alfred Foxglow - human Treasure Hunter… Now… a little lost, as there are more important things then treasure… like I.e. food , but will gladly take care about whole group finances and businesses… :) His talent for noticing what is valuable… will be invaluable for the group of course.

I don’t know the setting, yet… but hope it will be good fit for this campaign? :)
Aug 30, 2022 12:52 pm
Leaving this open for interest ...
https://i.imgur.com/e7wSN4r.png
https://i.imgur.com/lrQsKtW.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/cYWJKTh.png
Aug 30, 2022 2:17 pm
Thanks Tibbius,

I'll try my PC again, under what you have shared:

Eldarenth Finharn,
Meditative Elf Monk of the Silver Moon Monastery
Toughness 6 / Fate 4

Fighting: Hand-to-hand martial combat
Foraging: healing, shooting

Does this make sense?
Aug 30, 2022 3:09 pm
Cathamber says:
Thanks Tibbius,

I'll try my PC again, under what you have shared:

Eldarenth Finharn,
Meditative Elf Monk of the Silver Moon Monastery
Toughness 6 / Fate 4

Fighting: Hand-to-hand martial combat
Foraging: healing, shooting

Does this make sense?
Certainly! I'll try to make a nice template for character sheets now.
Aug 30, 2022 3:20 pm
tibbius says:
Cathamber says:
Thanks Tibbius, ... Does this make sense?
Certainly! I'll try to make a nice template for character sheets now.
Here it is: There and Back Again sheet
Aug 30, 2022 3:22 pm
For my idea it would be:

Talayan Stoneback
Story-telling dwarven fighter

Toughness 6/ Fate 4

Rhyming - storytelling
Fighting - Hand to hand martial combat & feats of strength
Aug 30, 2022 4:10 pm
I should mention that I've found games of TaBA to be richer when players act out the Take Courage mechanic, i.e. make up a folksy tale or poem, and then roll the skill to see whether their piece is effective. That's a group decision whether to do things that way.
Aug 30, 2022 4:28 pm
tibbius says:
I should mention that I've found games of TaBA to be richer when players act out the Take Courage mechanic, i.e. make up a folksy tale or poem, and then roll the skill to see whether their piece is effective. That's a group decision whether to do things that way.
Actually I was going to ask you about this ifI end up playing because my intention is 100 percent to make stories part of my role play.
I am worried that it would take up too much bandwidth doing it.

Also, the setting you linked, would it be okay if I read it for story inspiration? Does it provide enough background I can craft stories out of or could I make up things?
Last edited August 30, 2022 4:29 pm
Aug 30, 2022 5:06 pm
DragonNights says:
tibbius says:
Actually I was going to ask you about this ifI end up playing because my intention is 100 percent to make stories part of my role play.
I am worried that it would take up too much bandwidth doing it.

Also, the setting you linked, would it be okay if I read it for story inspiration? Does it provide enough background I can craft stories out of or could I make up things?
Ys, definitely read through the setting materials ... the few "secrets" in there all are rumors in the land, who knows whether they're true is not saying.
Aug 30, 2022 6:56 pm
Would definitely be interested in this!
Had a read through the system and my current thinking would be a grandmotherly halfling (fairly sure it would be halfling and not hobbit, based on the setting not being the standard Tolkien?) who ran a tavern before she had to flee and become a refugee due to the increasingly bold bandits taking advantage of the chaos caused by the war spreading south. I'd imagine her as kindly and nurturing, but with a wicked humour when she's comfortable or gets enough drink in her. Handy enough with a sling to catch a rabbit, and used to getting her own herbs for the homemade meals she served.

Does that fit with the kind of setting you were envisioning?
[ +- ] There and Back Again - Gisela Ironpot
Aug 30, 2022 8:09 pm
Ok, my character using your template. Will be it ok for the setting?
[ +- ] There and Back Again - Alfred Foxglow
Aug 30, 2022 8:54 pm
These all are looking like good characters so far. I am getting enthusiastic for this and think that I will open up a game thread this week.
Aug 30, 2022 8:54 pm
You will find it helpful to download the .zip file from the dwarfstar link in my first post, and especially helpful to refer to the map. Bc of the distribution license terms, I am not going to post a copy of the map up in here.
Aug 31, 2022 11:26 am
Ulfheddin
Concept (Taciturn Human Wolfman)
Toughness ; Fate
Fighting: skill(s) Feats of Strength, Feats of Agility
Magic: skill(s) Turn into Wolfman
Gear:
Aug 31, 2022 11:45 am
Jomsviking says:
Ulfheddin
Concept (Taciturn Human Wolfman)
Toughness ; Fate
Fighting: skill(s) Feats of Strength, Feats of Agility
Magic: skill(s) Turn into Wolfman
Gear:
Consider that you need to spend Fate in order to do magic - like turning into a wolfman, or turning back. Fate is not easy to recover.
Aug 31, 2022 5:21 pm
Beorn did it only one time as memory serves. And at great cost.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.