INTEREST CHECK: Second-Stringers (SWADE Supers)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 13, 2022 12:04 am
https://i.postimg.cc/PrH59bHc/Mystery-men.webp

The Second-Stringers

System: Savage Worlds Adventure Edition (SWADE).

Genre: Superhero, Comedy, Investigative.

Adult Content or Controversial Themes: Some physical violence and property destruction, but overall, no especially mature content. I never include sexual violence, child abuse, or anything of that nature in my games.

Character Restrictions: There are some restrictions on powers. These will be noted in the Character Creation thread for the game.

Game Duration: A year, maybe longer.

Post Frequency: I'm thinking maybe three to four times a week.

Specialized Software and Resources: None, really, other than access to the Savage Worlds Adventure Edition rule book and the SWADE Supers Companion.

Player Experience Requirements: No experience required. This will be an easygoing game, so it'll be a good opportunity to get a taste of SWADE if it's a system you've been eager to try.

How to Apply: Leave a post below expressing your desire to play. First come, first served. Also maybe drop a brief description of your idea for a character.

Marginalized Groups: All marginalized groups are welcome to this game.

Even Superheroes have Benchwarmers...

In the Second-Stringers, you'll be a superhero, but you won't be anything like Batman, or the Justice League, or the Avengers. Instead, you are playing second-rate, D-List heroes who most people have never heard of or don't take seriously. Your characters are a team of super-powered underdogs full of gusto and good intentions, trying to prove themselves in a city of far more competent superbeings.

This game takes its inspiration from The Tick, Mystery Men, Kick-Ass, Doom Patrol, The Inferior Five, and other properties that subvert the superhero genre in a comedic way. As such, the tone for this game is meant to be fairly humorous and light-hearted. Both heroes and villains may have exaggerated personalities or ridiculous alter egos, and super powers are likely to be very off-beat or questionable in their effectiveness.

The setting location is Century City - a modern day fusion of Metropolis and San Francisco with a splash of Gotham. This is where your characters will be living and fighting crime. More information about the city will be available in one of the game's threads.
Last edited September 13, 2022 12:21 am
Sep 13, 2022 3:06 am
Interesting. Will there be a limit to how many characters are allowed to make puns? lol. I might like to play a character with cold or ice powers if that's allowed.
Sep 13, 2022 3:43 am
I have the .pdfs... it's a completely new system to me, but I'm down to learn.
Sep 13, 2022 7:27 am
I would love to play. Haven't tried superpowered SWADE, but have the rulebooks. Don't have a concept yet, but my first thought is someone who turns invisible but not his entire body or not the superhero suit. But will think more on it.
Sep 13, 2022 9:22 am
I am definitely interested, though I have never played SWADE before. Which edition books should I look for? Do you know about any good tutorials that I could watch online?

For powers I'm not sure yet... but I do have a couple of ideas I just need to know if the books will allow those.
Sep 13, 2022 3:46 pm
MaJunior says:
I have the .pdfs... it's a completely new system to me, but I'm down to learn.
SWADE is easy to learn. And character creation is fairly quick, depending on how involved you want to get with powers.
Sep 13, 2022 3:46 pm
crazybirdman says:
Interesting. Will there be a limit to how many characters are allowed to make puns? lol. I might like to play a character with cold or ice powers if that's allowed.
No limit on puns. The more, the better.
Sep 13, 2022 3:49 pm
@Harrigan, this is a game for you
Sep 13, 2022 6:03 pm
Slithers back into sewer…
Sep 14, 2022 8:35 pm
Okay seems like enough people. Give me a couple of days and I’ll put the game together
Sep 14, 2022 9:07 pm
Fantastic! I'll take a crash course on the system and see if I can put a li'l something together.
Sep 15, 2022 5:08 am
I habe to SWADE core book, do I need the supers one also?
Sep 15, 2022 2:37 pm
crazybirdman says:
I habe to SWADE core book, do I need the supers one also?
Not to speak on @Julius_Seizure 's behalf, but the super powers book was listed as material you need access to, so... probably?

I'm working on speed reading the SWADE core book, but I haven't seen anything "four colors" super power-esque in it so far.
Sep 15, 2022 2:59 pm
I will also speed myself trough SWADE core book this weekend...

Are there really no good videos about base rules that you could recommend? @Julius_Seizure
Last edited September 15, 2022 2:59 pm
Sep 15, 2022 3:24 pm
I'll take a look. Not sure how much a wanna spend on this.
Sep 15, 2022 5:40 pm
Bubbles says:
I will also speed myself trough SWADE core book this weekend...

Are there really no good videos about base rules that you could recommend? @Julius_Seizure
MythBrigade on YouTube has a decent series of videos about Savage Worlds. I’ll also post a cheat sheet for the rules in one of the game threads.

Character Creation

Core Rules
Sep 15, 2022 5:44 pm
crazybirdman says:
I'll take a look. Not sure how much a wanna spend on this.
Unfortunately, the Supers Companion is necessary, but I also don’t expect people to drops lots of money for a pbp game. For those who need access to the materials, I can help with character creation once I have the game ready.
Sep 16, 2022 4:49 am
Okay, the game has been created. Here is a link for those that are interested.

The Second-Stringers
Sep 16, 2022 2:49 pm
Hmm, that does sound like an intriguing premise
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.