Recruitment Thread: Tales From the Yawning Portal!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedDungeons & Dragons 5thPublic1 / dayJoshuaMabry
I'd like to run a group of players through all seven adventures in the D&D 5E collection Tales From the Yawning Portal. The game will nominally be set in Faeurun, with the characters meeting at the eponymous tavern in Waterdeep. There will be some role-playing, but a lot of exploration and combat, as well as some resource management. A sort of homage to old school dungeon crawls. So pack your torches, iron rations and 10 foot poles. We're going on an adventure!

Oct 17, 2022 11:32 pm
This game will be by invite only. As we're starting at level one, I'd like to give preference to newer players, but anyone who applies on this thread or by PM will be considered. I'll monitor this thread until Friday October 21st, at which point I'll choose five players.
Last edited October 17, 2022 11:51 pm
Oct 17, 2022 11:38 pm
Well, I like to try that for the long run. I'm a fan of old school dungeon crawls too. And not planning on playing a barbarian.
Last edited October 17, 2022 11:40 pm
Oct 18, 2022 12:03 am
I am interested and willing to play!
Oct 18, 2022 12:19 am
I've never played those and they sound interesting. Should be fun.
Oct 18, 2022 12:58 am
I must be honest; I have run these adventures (in their original forms and in 5E format), but I am very good at separating player knowledge and character knowledge and would love to experience them as a player if you would have me.
Last edited October 18, 2022 12:59 am
Oct 18, 2022 1:04 am
I would like a chance to join up, been playing DND since second edition and love a good dungeon crawl.
Oct 18, 2022 2:21 am
I'm certainly willing to throw my hat in the ring. Admittedly, I do have a fair bit of D&D experience, but this set of adventures would be new to me so there's that.
Oct 18, 2022 3:15 am
I didn't state before but I haven't played in any of the adventures all the way through, though I have played in one of them for like two sessions from the middle.

Also are you wanting us to post up character concepts here? Or just voicing interest?
Oct 18, 2022 3:29 am
I would love to join. Not in any games right now.
Oct 18, 2022 3:35 am
Wow, lots of interest. So is it by lottery or do I need to start a marketing campaign?
Kadrel is a Goliath who served time in a militant order (soldier) before being raised to become a Paladin. Most of his early experience was spend clearing known threats where he picked up some wilderness (survival, perception) and first aid (medicine) skills. He favors overwhelming force from his greatsword or glaive over the more traditional sword and shield combination.
Last edited October 18, 2022 3:55 am
Oct 18, 2022 3:39 am
Lottery nope. Dice (as I get my loaded one out.)
Oct 18, 2022 7:01 am
Dungoun crawling is hard to make fun and easy to make dull with PBP.
@JoshuaMabry a word of advice:
Have the players list their standard actions when entering a room. Rouge will search for traps etc.
Show a map, and refrain from asking meaningless questions like "are you going left or right" if they don't have any information to make an informed decision. Ask players for their input when there is a meaningful decision to be made and perhaps use the polls like this.

Where do you go? Public

Into the room where there is a light
Into the room where we heard the sound of water
Go back and find another path
Oct 18, 2022 9:09 am
Madclergy says:
Also are you wanting us to post up character concepts here? Or just voicing interest?
Just voicing interest.
Oct 18, 2022 9:10 am
Psybermagi says:
Wow, lots of interest. So is it by lottery or do I need to start a marketing campaign?
I didn’t realize I’d have so many applicants so soon. I’m going to create a table with your names on it and roll randomly.
Oct 18, 2022 9:24 am
@runekyndig Good tips, thank you.
Oct 18, 2022 10:04 am
A note for everyone. This collection is seven adventures. So while there is an end point to this game, it's a long ways away. Looking for players in it for the long haul.
Oct 18, 2022 11:29 am
JoshuaMabry says:
A note for everyone. This collection is seven adventures. So while there is an end point to this game, it's a long ways away. Looking for players in it for the long haul.
Call me the Rubber Duck because I'm in it for the long haul!
Oct 18, 2022 11:44 am
Madclergy says:
JoshuaMabry says:
Call me the Rubber Duck because I'm in it for the long haul!
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Flh3.googleusercontent.com%2Fproxy%2F7UzbfSe-hGYQ6BDUio4yWJzSzutQ8y8_SJKUDK7q-t4pxtqnaY9Zyy7L5JHLS3T_nHh5-U_n%3Dw1200-h630-p-k-no-nu&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ba51e08da5500dd55bf0b874e7472260927c42115c61c15df94172c5a54e72f9&ipo=images
Oct 18, 2022 11:52 am
Yes but this is a Rubber Duck! Your curse bounces from me and sticks to you!
Oct 18, 2022 12:15 pm
@runekindig Are you interested in playing?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.