Against the cult: the Forest Ruin (1.5)

load previous
Apr 19, 2024 3:16 pm
Kragga, feeling the bloodlust begin to boil in his veins again, continues to launch magical bolts of fire into the fray, careful to avoid hitting his comrades.

Rolls

Fire Bolt (AC 16) - (1d20+4, 1d10)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d10 : (10) = 10

Apr 19, 2024 3:56 pm
Sorry, Al exclaims to his half-orc friend. Apologizing for interfering with earlier, fire-bolted attack!
Sashaying south, Al swings his mighty sword at the southern-most rat!

Rolls

Longsword - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d8+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Apr 20, 2024 4:58 pm
Aanbo waits with his hand out, ready to assist Theran or Kragga across the pit.
The cave rats swarm over the intruder in their space, Albertus. He is able to fend off most of them, but one squirms under his shield and bites him. Albertus takes 1 piercing damage. Albertus retaliates, cleaving that rat in half.

Joseph rushes back in and tries to stab two of the rats crawling on his friend. Both die squealing. Ogbar considers how the rats are crawling on Albertus and sets aside his greataxe in favor of a handaxe. He takes careful aim and slices a rodent off of the paladin's shoulders.

Kragga squints at all the moving bodies and manages to thread the needle, searing the last cave rat with his fire bolt.

The party is victorious, and each PC gains 16 XP.

What do you do next?
20 - Aanbo
19 - cave rats
17 - Albertus
10 - Joseph
6 - Ogbar
5 - Kragga
5 - Xana
3 - Theran

Rolls

Rats try to bite Albertus AC18 - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

1d20+5 : (6) + 5 = 11

1d20+5 : (7) + 5 = 12

1d20+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Joseph short sword AC11, sword damage, dagger, dagger damage, sneak attack - (1d20+4, 1d6+2, 1d20+4, 1d4+2)

1d20+4 : (8) + 4 = 12

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

1d20+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

1d4+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Ogbar handaxe AC11, damage - (1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Apr 22, 2024 4:15 pm
Aanbo calls from his spot by the pit, "Need help in there? What do you see?" Should someone require his assistance, he will cross over to the workshop to aid in whatever task is necessary.
Apr 22, 2024 4:47 pm
Kragga is pleased with the way the group is starting to coordinate in battle. Though the rats were not a fierce foe, vermin carry disease and it was wise to avoid any contact. Given the chaos of the flood, it was lucky only Albertus was nicked.

Kragga moves to Albertus's side and examines the wound. "Best clean it immediately." He holds up his staff-mounted torch, and then comments "If you want to be on the safe side, I could cauterize the wound."

He doesn't let on that it is a joke unless he gets a bit of sweat out his friend.
OOC:
Medicine check is to see if the bite might be in danger of infection / disease.

Rolls

Medicine Check - (1d20+0)

(20) = 20

Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm
Kragga cleans the wound, thus ensuring that there is no infection in the paladin Albertus.

Examining the cistern room, it appears that it was originally set up to filter and cache rainwater, but subsidence over centuries caused the earth to slightly shift under the tank, at which point - relatively recently - the massive stone receptacle tipped over, ripping the feeding pipe from the wall, dumping some of the water into the room, and leaving a gap that rodents could crawl through. They've been nesting here for months or even a couple of years, by all appearances, crawling out to forage for food and gnawing on the door as it began to rot. Whatever else may have been in the room has been gnawed to sawdust long ago, and the room is foul with droppings. There doesn't seem to be anything else of interest here.

In the workshop, some of the tools used for assembling traps are in good enough condition that people could pick and choose and thus collect one or more sets of thieves' tools. Some of the weapons could also be salvaged. Beyond that, there's nothing in the workshop that's useful and easily portable to bring back by anyone interested in side profit.

Ogbar
Ogbar grunts in annoyance. "Huh. I was hoping for glory, or, failing that, some worthwhile treasure to bring back for Olga." He kicks a dead cave rat. "No glory here. And no treasure, either!" He gets a forlorn look again. "The skalds will sing no songs of Ogbar, and Olga will marry another...if she hasn't already."

Joseph
"Aw, cheer up, buddy!" Joseph the halfling grins up at the barbarian: "You defeated that bandit before, didn't you? Everybody in town was talking about it when we arrived! Right? Oh, and we'll get plenty of glory for reviving that kid, whassisname, and as for treasure, there's always that chandelier! It's made of gold; we could climb down into the pit and get it. Or maybe there's glory to be found behind that magic barrier right by the pit. Worthy foes AND fabulous wealth, maybe!" Joseph looks around at the rest of you, as if to say 'Do you have anything to add?'
OOC:
The party has explored every interior part of the ruin except for the room on the first floor with the magic barrier, which no one has looked at since you first entered the building. As Joseph mentioned, there are some valuables that the party has left lying around, but financial gain/further XP may be secondary to testing the potion that awakens people from the Heralds' sleep. If you are able to revive Devek, it's unlikely that Dungeon Busters will have you return to this ruin a second time. What do you want to do now?
Apr 23, 2024 7:06 pm
"We can try to finish our inspection of this place, but I must admit that I have no knowledge of bypassing a magic barrier," says Aanbo. "Kragga, would you know?"

He continues, "Someone who might, of course, is the priest asleep upstairs. Though, he might not be willing to do so since we're intruders in his home. If we wake him, we should be prepared to explain ourselves."
Apr 24, 2024 2:21 am
"Might one of those amulets allow us past the barrier?" Theran asks.
Apr 24, 2024 5:41 am
"Oh! Good suggestion. Would that work, Kragga?" asks Aanbo. "I think Joseph has one. The rest would be in that pit upstairs."
Last edited April 24, 2024 5:42 am
Apr 24, 2024 4:02 pm
Albertus agrees with the plan.
That is well with me, friends, let’s do it.
Apr 25, 2024 2:27 am
"It is definitely worth a try," Kragga agrees. "If Joseph is willing to volunteer."
Apr 25, 2024 7:22 am
Joseph offers the amulet to either Theran or Kragga as the group heads back up the stairs and makes its way into the hallway from the kitchen. Like in the front room, the barrier here, too, blocks an open archway which is carved with a symbol that matches the shape of the amulet. "You can try it," Joseph says, "While I climb down into the pit and get the go...I mean, the other amulets for the rest of us."
[ +- ] Forest Ruin, first floor
Apr 25, 2024 6:01 pm
"Let me help you, Joseph," says Aanbo. He takes his rope to secure to the stairway railing and drop the other end into the pit for the rogue to use.
Apr 25, 2024 10:43 pm
Kragga takes the amulet from Joseph's hand, eyeing it carefully. He ties his rope around his waist and hands the trailing end to somebody willing to hold it, in case the amulet should interact with the door in an unfavourable way and pull him somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Then, Kragga will take it to the magical portal and experiment with touching it to its surface. If it seems safe, and seems to be working, he will push on through to the other side.

Rolls

Arcana (just in case) - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Apr 26, 2024 5:49 am
With the rope tied around his waist, Joseph is able to climb down into the pit. The bottom is covered in a layer of fine dust a couple of inches thick, from which the arms of the chandelier jut. Joseph is disappointed to see that the whole chandelier is not gold, just the stylized baubles hanging from each arm. Each of the seven baubles is fashioned to resemble the sun and another star. ::Still:: he thinks ::That's a lot easier to carry!:: With a little distaste, the halfling then sifts through the dust, knowing that it is the earthly remains of all the Heralds that the party threw into the pit.

As Joseph begins to find more amulets buried in the dust, Kragga is testing the amulet that he carries. The amulet meets no resistance at the magic barrier, and Kragga is able to move forward as if the barrier was just a visual illusion. Everyone else exchanges a look as Kragga steps forward and, from their perspective, completely disappears. But the rope continues to play out, suggesting that something on the other side of the barrier - Kragga, hopefully - is pulling on it.

Very little of the light from the party outside the room makes it through the magical barrier, so Kragga peers around the area in the dim grey shades of his darkvision. There are eight desks spaced through this room, each with an accompanying stool. Large alcoves lined with shelves separate each desk from its neighbors. The shelves are piled high with cylindrical containers.
OOC:
I apologize if I got it wrong and Kragga has a light source active at the moment.
Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm
Aanbo remains by the pit, his hands on the rope around the rogue. "Joseph, let me know when you're done, or tug twice and I'll help you out. Remember that I can't see you," he says.
Apr 26, 2024 6:22 pm
Kragga's staff-bound torch, which surely was close to extinguishing anyway, does not survive passing through the magical barrier. He hangs the amulet around his neck and returns the staff to his back (minus the spent torch), and produces the glowing stone orb from his pack. Holding it aloft, he surveys the room once more.

Although he is aware that he is alone and potentially beyond assistance, he can't help but stay - the lure of a mystery and his stubbornness to see a job done outweigh concerns of danger. In fact, the silent, musty air fills him with nostalgia of his temple. Inspired by the memory, he decides now is a good time to recognize his deity. Pulling forth a stick of incense and his prayer wheel, he lights the incense and prays to Boccob, the god of magic, in his first language, Orcish.

"Hurgh 'ej qatlh Qu', Boccob, HoD lo'wI' lo', cha'puj neH, cha'wIj Qutlh joqmoHwI' 'ach choHbe' ghItlh Hoch jatlh. HuD jaghDaq Sojbe', mugh puqDaq jach ghojmoHwI' ghojmoHmo' jatlh, 'ej pagh peq QeD'e' cha' ghapDaq puq jatlh 'ach ghopDu' HoSmoHlu'ta'."
[ +- ] Translation into Common
Kragga lets the incense continue to burn as he gathers the glowing orb again. He pokes his head back out of the barrier to explain what he has seen to whoever is outside.

"We will need the rogue to examine the desks for traps," he says. Then he will return and examine some of the cylindrical containers on the shelves.
Last edited April 26, 2024 6:25 pm
Apr 26, 2024 7:10 pm
Aanbo nods. "He's still below, but I'm sure he'll be up soon."
Apr 28, 2024 4:48 am
With the light of the orb, Kragga is able to read the inscriptions on the scroll cases, which promise documents discussing a variety of esoteric subjects relevant to the Heralds of the New Morning centuries ago: building plans, descriptions of services to Pae associated with different hours of the day, account registers, pay schedules for various tradespeople, illuminated prayer manuscripts... Fascinating stuff for a historian, and some of them beautiful enough to be worth something. Taking time to search through the collection would probably yield some choice items for a collector.
OOC:
At the moment, only Kragga is in this protected room, but he and anyone who joins him in there can roll an INT (Perception) check if they want to take the time to search the room for anything else of interest.

@Len - Kragga wasn't casting a spell with that prayer, correct?
Joseph clambers up the rope to emerge from the floor next to Aanbo with six more amulets of Pae in his hand...enough for each member of the party!

Rolls

Amulet search - (1d6+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Apr 28, 2024 7:53 am
Kragga is elated at the find. He begins carefully searching through the room, whispering to his god solemnly as the incense burns in the background.
OOC:
Thank you! I will use that inspiration right now! You are correct, Kragga was not casting a spell, just praying.
Last edited April 28, 2024 7:54 am

Rolls

Int Perception check (adv) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+2 : (15) + 2 = 17

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.