Chapter 1: The Shadow Moot

Oct 5, 2016 3:35 am
Beneath the streets of the Free City of Greyhawk…

http://www.wallpaperswide.us/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/fantasy-city-painting-wallpaper-650x406.jpg

The hollow, watery sounds of a Cistern echo through the room, becoming one with the clamor of shuffling feet on stone, idle talk, and mugs being drained and plates scraped.

Principal Nicastro Saloman: "All right, ye lot! Order! I know, yer naught but vagabonds and scoundrels, but I know you know what Order is! So, ORDER! … … *casts his eyes from side to side as the din subsides* Yes. Fine, fine. Well, you all know why we’re here. The word travels quickly enough… Maestro Pavel has gone missing.

What may be news to you is he was not on any official Guild business at the time, and he is not believed to have been about any of his Council duties either, indeed he was at his leisure – or at least recently so – on the Docks. And in the span of maybe 30 minutes and less than 1 kilometer he went missing. Of course he has his enterprises like any of us, but he was to be on his way to Guild business so we don’t believe it was any of his private affairs either… With the War and the unrest in the City, we are looking at many avenues.

So yes, to get this official business out of the way; while he is absent, I will be acting and speaking in his stead as decreed by the Writ. You will bring your dues to me, you will bring your Guild issues to me, and that is how we move forward in what is undoubtedly his temporary absence.

Now, Capo Sharyn Messandier has volunteered to allocate some of the Quarter Boys – and gals, yes – to pursuing the Maestro's whereabouts more vigorously. If you have information that we should know, take it to her. She will be my hand in this for the foreseeable future.

With that I will open the floor up to questions, and new business."

Capo Repnel Porton: "You’re mad if you think Gallow Hall is going to bring you their Dues, Saloman!!"

At the Capo’s outburst, the clamor erupts with the renewed vigor of heated argument. It is several moments before there is a lull in the colliding voices. Nicastro is clearly biting his lip, staving off anger.
Oct 12, 2016 4:40 am
"The Writ, the Writ, the Writ," Nulgha says. She leans over and spits, then looks directly at the Principal. "You never did comprehend the nature of the Old Alliance, did you, Saloman?"

Nulgha turns her head toward Capo Messandier. "And you, Messandier. Think for once. Saloman does not command a quarter the respect Maestro Pavel does on his worst day. Worse, if the Maestro is a victim of the Docks, his named successor is of course marked verboten by the spirits. Hitch not your future to his," she says, raising an eyebrow and looking around the room at each in turn.
Oct 12, 2016 1:53 pm
"Shame your spirits didn't speak up before the Maestro disappeared. Might have saved us all a lot of bother. Gord observed lightly. He idly picks at the dirt under his nails with a small knife. "You'll get your cut from the fences, Principal. Anyone who still wants Guild rates from us should do the same."
Oct 13, 2016 3:12 am
As Nicastro grips the edges of the table, his knuckles white, Messandier raises an eyebrow in return to Nulgha and snorts.

"Hear, hear!", comes the vocal reply to Gord from a handful of parties around the room. However there must be an equal number expressing displeasure at his words... Nicastro's slams the Silver Skull down on the table once, and it is the only thing that keeps the room from descending into cacophony again.

Capo Helfdan clears his throat: "What of Heimart, Nicastro? His Yellow Jackets have the Foreign Quarter by the balls, the Low City under heel, and the Artisans by the throat! Maestro Alektri was promising us results soon. This is your burden now." The weight in his words evident.

Nicastro takes a long drink from his flagon, staring at Helfdan the whole time... Repnel Porton stands abruptly and leaves the room.
Oct 13, 2016 10:48 pm
Hells, Gord's gwunna be trouble. Wonder what'll it take to win 'em.

"Capo Larrat Helfdan," Nulgha says, pressing a clenched fist to her chest, "I pledge to liberate your balls from the grasp of Heimart, as our dear Saloman is clearly at a loss as to what to do with them. That is, if you would sanction my stepping in to take up the Maestro's burden. What say you?" Gwunna get "paid" for shit Alektri wanted from me anyway, heh, heh.
Oct 14, 2016 1:47 am
Gord watches Repnel leave the room. Wonder where he's going in a such a hurry. Gord turns his attention back to the muttering around the room curious where the mood of the room is.

Gord has the Ear for Voices trait which let's pick out conversations in noisy areas with an Ob3 Perception check. He would like to try using it to hear what the various thieves are muttering amongst themselves at the moot. Shall I roll?

Rolls

Ear For Voices - (4d6)

(1623) = 12

Oct 14, 2016 2:56 pm
Helfdan looks to Nulgha and says, "I don't rightly care who gets his Lordship to lay off this business of turning the whole damn city on us, if you think you have the means, I'm sure you'd make more than a few friends doing it."

Nicastro butts in, over-enunciating each word, "I will speak with Heimart when next the Quintumvirate meets. You know I sit for the Landed... The Maestro already had his ear, all that I am wanting of now is his Word. And that is what I shall have." he glares at Nulgha.
The room is ill at ease as Principal Saloman continues to hear some new business from one of the minor gangs. Aside from Capo Porton's - whom you know has a personal history with Saloman, Nulgha's words were the only ones spoken in outright defiance of Saloman. But you also know he is not a popular figure in the Guild.

There are many conversations going on about the room, but the only people bothering to conceal their words - and you would wager then, the only one's saying much worth hearing - are the Capos Marlent and Messandier.
Oct 15, 2016 8:46 am
Nicastro's not a yaw away from crackin'.

Wait for a break in the storm... shut yer traps for a step you gulls.

Nulgha walks up to Orazia, a minor thief talking with Nicastro, and slaps him on the shoulder. She says, "Mind a moment?" and edges in front of him. Then, loudly: "Saloman, you know better than any of us who the Maestro has been grooming for leadership. You therefore also know exactly who he would want me to bring my Dues to, if not you. And everyone here knows it's not you. So who would he want it to be? Is it Messandier? Porton? If you're not sure, think about who he most often told you to carry sealed messages to, that you were instructed not to read. Or when he sent you out of the room to talk, who was it most often with? Those are the most likely candidates."
OOC:
Intent: goad Nicastro into exploding in a way that embarrasses himself in front of everyone, giving the impression that his, well, temperament is not suited to leadership. Task: this insulting question. Failure "he still outbursts [and excommunicates you], embarrasses himself, causing a loss of faith amongst some of the capos, but obviously maintaining some respect and an air of command with the excommunication". Result: Failure.
Last edited October 16, 2016 9:02 am

Rolls

Ugly Truth, Rhetoric, advantage, disadvantage, 1 Persona against B5 Will is 7D vs Ob 6 - (7d6)

(1325344) = 22

Oct 15, 2016 3:26 pm
Nicastro blinks as Nulgha edges Orazia aside he's clearly surprised by the interruption, his eyes begin to bulge at the mention of Dues, and by the time you invoke Messandier's name he's scrabbling for the Silver Skull. He bobbles the relic as he hastens to slam it down onto the table and it flies from his grip off the side of the table - clattering on the floor with successive clarion tones.

He is on his hands and knees and several meters from the table before he retains the Skull. The entire room is silent, save for the muffled, hollow sluicing of water and Nicastro's feral breathing. All eyes are transfixed. He thrusts the macabre gavel out in one hand, taking slow steps and pointing it accusatorially at Nulgha, "I don't ... he shakes his head once as if dispelling the words he was going to say, ... you! ... his voice cracks as he draws a couple heavy breaths, ... I here-by revoke your title of association with the Thieves Guild of the Free City of Greyhawk, and all rights that entitles you." He stumbles as he regains his position by the head of the table. "I suggest you take your treacherous tongue from these Halls, before I carve it from your throat, and have you swinging from the Cross Street Bridge for your insolence!" His voice is a rasping hiss.
Oct 16, 2016 8:58 am
Gwunna get myself killed like that. Wonder if I can make a good exit...

Nulgha sweeps her gaze across the room and begins walking toward the door Capo Repnel Porton left through. She says, "In an hour you've lost Gallow Hall and your best shipping. Who's next?" She points to a group of thieves and says, "Well, are you with me?" then looks back over her shoulder toward the head of the table. "Don't take the Guild down with you, Saloman, it's...

"Cease her!" comes a shout, and several enforcers draw their weapons. Nulgha sprints to the wall and up the stairs, slipping out the door just as the enforcers are catching up!

Stop 'em. NOW.
OOC:
1. That superstition about the Docks is a Dwarf thing.

2. Trying to find some solidarity, someone to exit with her. Circles B2 plus 1D Affiliation with Thieves Guild plus 2D Reputation as Shepherding Supplies through the Siege of Port Stonehold. Ob 3.

3. I wanted Nulgha to say one last thing but turns out the Writ is pretty clear this kind of thing is fine, also there are enforcers on her tail. Spirit Binding!
Last edited October 17, 2016 3:47 am

Rolls

Circles, 5D against Ob 3 - (5d6)

(22442) = 14

Spirit Binding B5 against tbd Ob - (5d6, RA)

(62) + (5) + (1) + (5) + (61) = 26

Spend 1 Fate to reroll a traitor above would fail - (1d6, RA)

(4) = 4

Oct 16, 2016 4:09 pm
As Nulgha utters Saloman's name again, he sets the Skull down, turns calmly from the table and raises his voice to just beneath a shout, "Cease her!" as he walks towards the Maestro's door at the back of the room.

Three Guild Enforcers break into a run, drawing weapons.
OOC:
Eh, are you gonna be able to Bind Spirits without a tongue? :P

If you don't want to change your actions once the Enforcers start at you, they will be on you once you've finished cutting the figure (in the air?).

What's Gord doing? Just watching in dumb-founded shock like everyone else?
Oct 16, 2016 7:03 pm
Gord shakes his head as the drama between Nulgha and Nicastro unfolds. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Now if I want to break the blockade I need to defy Nicastro or do it myself without our best runner. Gord watches the enforcers run off and shrugs. There was no helping Nulgha here and now. But if she survives, he might just talk her way back in. After all, money fixes all things if you have enough of it.

Since there is naught to do about that, Gord starts drifting towards Capos Marlent and Messandier. If he can get closer, perhaps he can make out what they are saying.

I am proposing a Inconspicuous test to get closer to the Capos without being obvious about it linked to a second Ear for Voices check to hear their conversation.

Rolls

Inconspicuous - (4d6)

(3612) = 12

Oct 16, 2016 8:25 pm
All previous conversation in the room have ceased, and as the Enforcers exit the room in a rush, more people begin to leave as the official proceedings have apparently ended and it seems nothing much more exciting can happen than what already has. Several Capos still linger, and many new conversations start up as people marvel at the events of the evening.
OOC:
Gord go ahead and roll up that Inconspicuous test. Is a Versus against Marlent's Observation (B4) with a +1 Help from Messandier being there and simply aware acceptable to you? Success you overhear what they say unnoticed, Failure will stop the conversation and one of them will confront you.

EDIT: the Ear for Voices is gonna Ride, so that's why you have to get close to them.

Rolls

Observation - (5d6)

(41416) = 16

Oct 17, 2016 2:29 am
Porton's majordomo, who had remained after the Capo had left, goes to the hallway down which the Enforcer's pursued Nulgha and looks down it searchingly for a moment before turning away to leave through the door his boss exited from.

Messandier stops talk abruptly as Capo Marlent does a double take, and kind of cocks her head at Gord, her eyes narrow curiously for just a moment. She smiles thinly to Messandier, nodding slightly as she steps toward Gord, "Quite the night at the Small Table, hmm? How has the Fence network fared thus far through Heimarts sudden... zealousness?"
Oct 17, 2016 3:08 pm
OOC:
I've got pronoun confusion. Which one is addressing me?
So far so good. Gord nods. Couple smaller dealers in the Low Quarter have been forced to shut down or relocate. The higher rollers in the fancy shops continue to hide in plain sight. When its high art they don't ask questions. Gord chuckles. "How about for you?
Oct 18, 2016 1:47 am
OOC:
Sorry, Gord, it's Marlent.
Capo Marlent sniffs sharply, her brow knitted, "Things have been tough actually, we've kept our toehold in the Arena, but otherwise have been shut-out from nearly all of Clerkberg. From the taverns, to the temples, to the various schools and Collegium. Ever since Adzet screwed up his racket with the Alchemists every institution there has been on ... an aggressive ethics kick."

Capo Messandier strides to the table, picks up the Silver Skull and turns to the Maestro's door.
Down the hall from the Cistern and up a long flight of stairs at the door to the alley, the lead Enforcer slams into the door when he was expecting it to just open in his grasp. He frowns and leans into it, grunting as the other two arrive. "She thinks she can keep us in boys! Put yer back into it!"

Rolls

Enforcer's Power (B4) +1 Help 2nd Enf Power B4, +1 Help 3rd Enf Brawling B4 - (6d6)

(121633) = 16

Oct 18, 2016 2:39 am
"No doubt worried about the precious funding Heimart dangles in front of their nose. Happy to take our money and no questions asked reagents when it suits them though, the craven bookworms." Gord spits. "So what's your play? I've still got a few respectable 'rare book dealers' in the Berg. Maybe we can be of help."
Oct 18, 2016 3:10 am
She ponders a moment, "Honestly a lot of us, myself included, are depending on the Principal right now. The Maestro had something in the works with Heimart that was supposedly going to help us all out by taking the City's attention off of the Guild. Heimart threw Us under the wagon wheels when things started getting rough with the onset of War, and now he needs another scapegoat or a success or a distraction, if we want our reigns to be loosened." she shrugs and looks to the Maestro's door as Messandier goes inside, "That's all in Nicastro's hands now..."
Oct 18, 2016 3:56 am
Nulgha hightails it down the alley, barely noting the thud of a body shoving against the door. A curious observer would see a bit of cobblestone wedged in the door's hinge.
OOC:
Rolling Spirit Strength B2 versus the enforcers: success
He can't just kick me out! Urgh, he can, but, but, they need me! Hells, that door spirit best hold 'em back.

She ducks through side streets after side street. Starting to breathe too heavily not to draw attention, she climbs up a stair outside some apartments and sits in a rooftop depression. She peeks over the edge of the roof and peers into the distance.

Can't see if they're watchin' my place, too dark. Guess this is my bed tonight.
Last edited October 18, 2016 4:47 am

Rolls

Spirit Strength 2D - (2d6)

(53) = 8

Oct 18, 2016 5:12 am
One of the iron banded wooden doors on the other side of the room thuds open with an echoing bang, Through the open doorway, strides Zachary Redhill, his light brown hair wild and his expression full of concern. His simple, but well-tailored clothing show him to be a man of means but not one given to ostentation.

"I only just heard. He's gone missing? What do we know? Who's looking for him?" He looks around the room wildly, spots Gord and walks quickly over to him. "I'm late, I know, what did I miss?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.