Chapter 1: The Shadow Moot

load previous
Nov 9, 2016 12:36 am
"Maybe you are right. I am not one for subtlety," Nulgha says, pulling Tomas to press against her. She whispers in his ear, "You know that well," then steps away, frowning. "I would present the facts before him and he would call more goons. But then what can I do? No one else will come. Nicastro will bluster and your father will strike back and the Guild will break apart and the city will riot and you will have to hide away and we will be apart until war takes us all."

Nulgha takes a deep breath. She looks into Tomas' eyes and drops to one knee. "Do what you can. Please. I have overreached. I... can't do everything I wish I could do. I will pen a letter to your father, you can give it to him and say it is from a thief who wants to remain anonymous."

What am I doing. Be strong. And mysterious. Right? Does he love me or just rebellion?

"I need your help."
Nov 9, 2016 1:14 am
OOC:
I'm getting dressed in my finery (or whatever passes for fashionable noble clothing to go calling). I can do a little disguise work on Gord to help him look more like my man servant. I think I can probably just go right in and pretend to be the up-to-no-good youngest son of a noble and ask about the pipe weed that Gord wants to steal.
Nov 11, 2016 11:37 pm
Tomas guides Nulgha up by her hand, "Yes, of course! The letter should be much easier, much safer... Can you forge a signature, or get your hands on a seal? Address it from someone of standing in the Guild, perhaps this Nicastro himself! And to some fictional third party, as if talking frankly for business? I will tell my father I came across it while pursuing a bounty! Your message gets to his ears ... or eyes then... and neither of us is implicated with involvement in the Guild." he pulls her close again, "And you did not overreach, I am glad you trust me enough and can come to me with something like this." he plants a kiss on her mouth.
OOC:
Zachary: No need for a skill-check, I think. You're not trying to conceal his actual appearance right? Just dressing to look like a servant? You can just have the livery on-hand with your level of Resources/Circles, and from there it will just be on Gord (and you) to act the part(s).
Nov 12, 2016 3:32 am
OOC:
Sounds good! Yeah, I'm just trying to make him look like a man servant, not a street thug. I think Zachary thinks the rich see what they expect, not what's actually in front of them.
Nov 12, 2016 10:57 pm
OOC:
On to the Wolsing estate then.
Nov 13, 2016 7:47 am
A_minute_or_so_later says:
Hells, slick, Tomas. Slicker'n me.

Nulgha says, "You are brilliant." She furrows her brow, the grey-brown skin wrinkling ever so slightly differently than a human's would. From a Capo to Nicastro. That they'll split from the Alliance and hunker down to weather out Ye Ole Lordship's assaults... or deal with them regardless of the Guild's negotiations, that's better...

She is lost in thoughts spoken aloud for a time, and then: "Let's go somewhere with parchment and a good pen. The Library."
Nov 13, 2016 7:25 pm
The Wolsing estate sits among several other villas belonging to wealthy merchants in the south westerly quadrant of the Garden District. As Zachary and Gord approach they can tell it likely used to be an impressive holding, though now it has languished for some time in neglect. Grasses have grown tall and wild with no sheep or goats around anymore to keep them down, weeds overtake the edges of a well-paved path, a split rail fence ringing the property has rotted and fallen in places, even the building seems to be just a shade of prior greatness, paint and plaster faded and chipping.

http://i.imgur.com/zswQPbK.png?1
OOC:
The red lines are the fencing, delineating the borders of the estate.

Tomas Heimart grins with half his mouth, "It was your idea, sweet. I just want to be sure it doesn't cause us too much trouble. It seems this is a delicate thing we are embroiled in." he nods as Nulgha works out the details with herself, and ultimately at the mention of the library.

The Great Library of Greyhawk sits just north and east of the Collegium grounds, near the city wall. It looks rather like an imposing great stone building is in the process of eating a beautifully ornate wooden one. Several decades ago a great stone addition was constructed so as to abut the graceful original wood building, more than tripling it's size, but probably halving it's beauty. It is a busy structure, Clerkburg in general is constantly abuzz with some goings on or another, but the Library in particular - receiving students and public interests alike, is absolutely humming on the outside. City criers, public lectures, the wealthy, students, and even the not-so-wealthy are swarming all about it's grounds.
Nov 14, 2016 3:30 am
OOC:
Do I know the name of this son of Baron Wolsing? I went back through the thread and didn't see it stated.
Nov 15, 2016 7:16 am
The Library! Once home away from home for Nulgha, during her years of futilely trying to summon that spark of magic everyone insisted she must have.

Don't matter, spirits'd blow 'em away, any day, no matter what they say...

Nulgha walks in confidently, several paces ahead of Tomas. Without looking at him, she says, "Find us a seat and be discreet," then strides over to a nearby clerk. "Four sheets of good vellum, a tot of ink, and rent of a quill, if you please."

Nulgha hands over a bit of silver and a few bits of copper, taking her supplies - slightly roundabout - to the table Tomas has chosen.

Who wouldn't whisper with Heimart...

Nulgha whispers to her herself just loud enough that Tomas can hear. "Capo Nenshen will write to Nicastro, saying he cannot keep his territory together if they know he's delivering dues to Nicastro, what with your esteeeemed father's crack down on the Low City. What should the other three be about, and to whom? Innocuous but thiefy. And from the scum of the City..."

The two banter back and forth for a bit as Nulgha pens the first, important note with her off hand. Tomas is clearly engaged and truth be told quite too theatrical if secrecy really mattered here.

If eyes are about, we're sunk. But he is sooo cute. Heh, he'll love this.

Nulgha whispers, "Okay, now you do the last one." At his confused look, she explains, "Different minions!"
OOC:
Intent: convince Lord Heimart that easing up is necessary to keep the Guild intact short term. Task: these forgeries "captured" by Tomas.
Last edited November 16, 2016 6:14 am

Rolls

Will B4 unskilled Persuasion - (4d6)

(3432) = 12

Tomas' first 1D of help, if he helps - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Tomas' second die of help, if he helps with a skill or stat at 5+ - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Advantage, if applicable - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Nov 16, 2016 2:33 am
OOC:
Shark_Bone, it's Fenrik Wolsing. If you want, in the future, feel free to establish a worldbuilding detail like that in your post leading into the situation.
OOC:
Nulgha (and most Thieves Guild thieves with any real standing - so, Gord and Zach too) would know that Heimart never knowingly has contact with anyone from the Thieves Guild aside from the Maestro and/or an Advocate representing the Guild, and never does so officially at all, except through the aforementioned Advocate/Lawyer when political theatrics are necessary or need be observed. You would also know though that he does unknowingly have contact with the Thieves Guild, whether that's through political operatives, or commercial, etc. If you want to make a Thieves Guild-wise check to work out anything beyond that, you're welcome to it. Or you can of course operate on your IC guess. One Persuasion test for the letters.
Nov 17, 2016 5:07 pm
Gord fingers the itchy collar of his new shirt. "Haven't had to deal with a starched collar since my apprentice days. Hated when buyer showed up and we had to dress up." He grumbles. "Nice cloth though. MiLord." He added as an afterthought. Gord watched the traffic on the street as they approached the Garden Quarter. He tried to match his gait to the other servants and shop boys he saw and just blend in. No one really notices the servants, right?
OOC:
Adding in the Inconspicuous roll just because of my Instinct. No idea if it will be relevant.
Last edited November 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Rolls

Inconspicuous - (4d6)

(6545) = 20

Nov 18, 2016 2:23 am
Tomas leaves with the letters in his hand, kissing Nulgha gently on the cheek before exiting the Library. All that is left to that now is to wait and see what strength can be had in those sheafs of vellum.

OOC:
Dang, Gord! Nice roll. Let It Ride, huh?
The roads that wind through the Garden District are fairly lively, if not particularly busy, even once away from the central High Market. Even if the vast majority of folk in Greyhawk can't afford to go to the grand performance house or the exotic gardens or the races held at the Circuit, or any of the other numerous attractions, they still like to walk it's streets and feel as if they can. There is also a higher Guard presence noticeable in the District, even the occasional knots of soldiers using the broad roads to practice formations. As Zachary and Gord walk southwesterly down Garden Road it feels like a very different city here.
Nov 18, 2016 8:05 am
Lookout time...

Nulgha returns home, scoping out her house for about hour.
OOC:
Scoping involves watching from nearby rooftops and checking with the spirits of the adjacent back alleys whether and where men lurk. Assuming she sees nothing amiss...
She sneaks into her own home, gathers a bundle of traveling supplies, then spends the rest of the sunlit hours sleeping in a spacious closet.

Gotta sleep up, tonight's a big day.
OOC:
She'll be doing some Spirit Binding tonight to consult re: the Maestro's disappearance.
Nov 19, 2016 5:12 pm
OOC:
No suspicious activity around Nulgha's house. She can enter and do as she wishes.

Gord, do you want to retcon a bit, remove Zachary from the situation, re-approach it in a manner not requiring his interaction?
Nov 21, 2016 2:50 pm
OOC:
OK then let's ignore everything and jump to the meet with Carlod then. We can chat in character if you want but the main thing I want to do is circle up someone with knowledge of the Wolsing estate to help us burgle it and I'd like Carlod's help on the roll as someone that knows the area.
Nov 28, 2016 3:32 am
As Gord walks the Circuit grounds, he can see they are immaculately kept. The grass low from grazing, but not overly so. The trees lining the lane approaching the racing track itself have grown over it and are spaced closely giving a tunnel-like effect, the hedges and fencing behind them, all sharply manicured angles. The buildings on the grounds have tall stone foundations, with shining white-washed timbers intricately stacked on top, and sloping red tiled roofing. The stables alone could pass for a landed noble's estate if one didn't know what they were looking at. Carlod looks over from the group of stable-workers he is embroiled in a boisterous conversation with as Gord approaches, the athletic man bows to them as he backs away with a smile on his face, and they continue on. He walks over next to some piled sacks of grain and picks up a harness and a couple of tools, his eyes following the Fence with sideways glances.
Nov 28, 2016 7:59 pm
Gord sidles up to Carlod and stands so the sacks of grain are between him and passers-by. "Good day Carlod. Got time to talk business? Got to put our heads together and see what we know about our target."
Last edited November 28, 2016 7:59 pm
Nov 28, 2016 8:20 pm
Carlod glances from side to side perfunctorily, there's an ongoing din in the stables, he shrugs continuing to fiddle with the leatherwork, "Les talk den. I can give ye da patrol schedules, nearby guard posts, pro'lly even a smol cart an' broken-in ass, if ye think we're needin' it?", he doesn't look up from the work.
Nov 28, 2016 9:27 pm
"Depends on how lucky we get inside. Better have the cart ready just in case." Gord nods. "That gets us to and from the place. What do we know about the house and where he's likely to keep the stuff? Servants? Personal guard?"
Nov 28, 2016 9:59 pm
He sniffs and shrugs, "Da Capo says it's jus' the young Wolsing, 'is wife, a kid, an' a servant dere. Can't afford a personal guard no more. 'Sa big house for jus' dat, but I guess it used to be better times for 'em...", he finishes tooling the leather and throws it over his shoulder and works his neck from side to side, "As for where, I figur a man 'oo cares dat much about 'is leaf is bound ta have a fancy pine box for it some'ere 'at'll stay cool, an a house dat big's gotta have a root cellar some'ere about it." he shrugs, bringing his arms up above his head with the rolling motion, "Beyond 'at, can't rightfully say."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.